Close
Photo

How did you get introduced into the world of Naruto?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:Screenwriting, Novel Writing

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

I was just curious as to how people got introduced to Naruto (hence the title), seeing that it's ending it got me thinking.

For me, I was never into anime as a kid, in fact, I had no idea it existed. I had heard of Dragonball Z and Pokemon but I had never watched them. I was into Max Steel, the 80s Spiderman cartoon, Action Man, Spiderman Unlimited etc. However in 10th grade a French exchange student came to our school. We became friends and he joined our little group. He used to talk to the group about jutsus and stuff and I was the only one who had no idea what they were talking about.

One day in English class, they were talking about it when the teacher heard. Apparently he was a big fan. Every lesson it'd be rare for there not be an exchange about Naruto. It piqued my interest, I started watching it and the rest is history.

Naruto introduced me to the world of anime and manga which has become a huge part of my life. I'm really sad to see it end and I'm hoping (though it may not be realistic) that it will return in the future as specials/OVAs or something like that.

That's how it was for me, how about everyone else?

giphy.gif

#2 Moon_Girl

Moon_Girl

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:OTPs:
    NaruSaku - Naruto x Sakura (Naruto Series)
    Het Chrobin - Chrom x Robin♀ (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    Clerith - Cloud x Aerith (Final Fantasy VII Series)
    Demelith - Demetri x Byleth♀ (Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes)
    Phantom/Erik x Christine (Phantom of the Opera)
    Jintan x Menma (AnoHana)
    ZeLink - Link x Zelda (Legend of Zelda Series)

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

I was already into anime at the time, but I think manga was still new for me. I was about 13 when my older brother came home with a bunch of disks his friend gave him full of Naruto subbed episodes. This was before it came to America. He had me watch it with him and I found myself enjoying it a lot. It just so happened that the Naruto manga was coming out in the U.S too. So I started getting the manga and following the series.

That's how I got into Naruto.

As a bonus, I'll share how I got into NaruSaku. :chuckle:

Before Part 2, I didn't give a crap about pairings. But it was the part where Naruto went Kyuubi on the Heaven and Earth bridge and Sakura ran to him saying she'd save Sasuke for him and such. It was such a beautiful moment for me. (And I survived the NH fillers of Part 1!)

So I googled to see if NaruSaku was canon and there was this fanart that looked like the manga and it was Sakura kissing Naruto. I just loved it. I thought it was real, but it turned it out wasn't. (Obviously)
So yeah. After that I started realizing how beautiful their relationship was and how much it was growing. And that's how I started shipping them. Yep, I was a late shipper. I didn't really care much about the relationships between characters in the beginning.

Edited by Moon_Girl, 28 October 2014 - 10:53 AM.

NaruSaku will always be better than crack and fan fiction

#3 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

That's cool! Thanks for sharing :) Tbh I'm not particularly sure when I started shipping NaruSaku but I just rematch the part on the bridge and the following scenes and that was one of the best NaruSaku moments.

giphy.gif

#4 *- ZerΩ -*

*- ZerΩ -*

D E J A V U

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Sports-> Football,Basketball
    Video Games,The Mentalist,Supernatural..etc

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

Actually by luck.. I was switching channels and the first episode of naruto i came across was the bridge scene in which Sasuke protected Naruto and Naruto used Kurama for the first time... I think it was in the Naruto Bridge...

I was like.. hmm.. this character is ugly (Naruto), but imidiately i was like O.o wtf this dude with the fox power is Super cool.. thats how i started Naruto.. :)

Also after i saw the fangirling of Sakura over Sasuke.. and Sasuke be like.. hn.. im the coolest..

I got addicted with Naruto.. because i wanted All to acknowledge him and Sakura fall in love with him :)

Thats also how i was introduced to anime

Edited by *- ZerΩ -*, 28 October 2014 - 11:11 AM.

tumblr_n09oo96JLS1sqdj5ko1_500.jpg

#5 Swagkura

Swagkura

真夜中の太陽

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Interests:KakaSaku & NaruSaku

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

My cousin actually introduced me to Naruto. He would keep talking about it everytime we saw each other. At first, I didn't want to have anything to do with Naruto, since I thought the whole thing was stupid at first. But, I was proven wrong. I started watching it on Toonami, and I found myself getting more interested in it. It also helped that I got to meet my favorite anime character, Sakura Haruno :P
The pink hair made me more intrigued by her than the others. At the end, I'm glad I was able to find a series as great as this one :D
tumblr_o2ymbkICMv1ttuk3wo3_500.gif

#6 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

To tell you the truth, when my friends and teacher were talking about Naruto and I checked it out for myself, I thought it was something totally different. I was looking through YouTube and came across a thumbnail of an injured Rock Lee during the Chuunin exams and I thought it was a cartoon about some kids who fight each other in some weird Matrix world lol, crazy I know, don't know how I saw it like that.

Edited by applesauceful, 28 October 2014 - 12:38 PM.

giphy.gif

#7 narusakuno1

narusakuno1

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

I think the first time I watched Naruto was when I was 5-6.... Well I watched parts of it....Naruto was just one of those popular anime that they show on the TV so I just watched it. Since I have an older brother, he kinda influenced me into watching it. Even though I didn't understand the plot and stuff, I remember my first impression of Naruto was "The yellow haired dude looks good with the pink haired girl!". Yes, a five year old kid was shipping anime characters. I already started ship Narusaku back then... lol I didn't even know what shipping was that time. That was when I was young.

When I moved to Australia 3 years ago (which English is my second language), I had problems making friends because of language barrier. Somehow the spare time I had in primary school encourage me and my brother watch Naruto again because when I was younger, the TV stopped showing the rest of the series after the chuunin exam. Naruto really helped me become happy and Naruto was also a window to anime for me. I already watched Inuyasha and other popular animes but I didn't know what anime was. I thought they were just cartoons (please, I was a kid back then) like Powerpuff Girls. I was (and still am) one of those brats who gets easily inspired by animes especially Naruto how his nindo is I'll never give up or go back on my word or something. And I thought it was so cool so Naruto became my ideal type of guy (no, not the bratty, stubborn personality though).

Sakura became my role model for some reason. I really want to be an intelligent and cool person like Sakura (badass as well). My brother laughed at me because he said she's just a fictional character but to me, Naruto and Sakura are like... my siblings. I feel really sad that Naruto is going to end, especially when there's only one week and a half left.

#8 *- ZerΩ -*

*- ZerΩ -*

D E J A V U

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

That's cool! Thanks for sharing :) Tbh I'm not particularly sure when I started shipping NaruSaku but I just rematch the part on the bridge and the following scenes and that was one of the best NaruSaku moments.

You said when some friend and TEACHER?

Your teacher was watching Naruto!?

#9 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

You said when some friend and TEACHER?

Your teacher was watching Naruto!?

Haha yeah. He was awesome, not only did he watch Naruto and talk about it every class. When we went to use computers during English class, we'd all play Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament and he would get involved too :)

giphy.gif

#10 *- ZerΩ -*

*- ZerΩ -*

D E J A V U

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Haha yeah. He was awesome, not only did he watch Naruto and talk about it every class. When we went to use computers during English class, we'd all play Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament and he would get involved too :)

WoooooooW... how old was he?

If that was my teacher, he would be my best friend XD

I imagine an excersize from him:

"Please write an essay in which you tell me how awesome Naruto is " hahaha :thumb:

Edited by *- ZerΩ -*, 28 October 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#11 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

WoooooooW... how old was he?

If that was my teacher, he would be my best friend XD

I imagine an excersize from him:

"Please write an essay in which you tell me how asesome Naruto is " hahaha :thumb:

I think he was late 20s back then.

Haha yeah, I remember, we had to do this large project and I did some powerpoint presentation thing, which he could view on his own and back then, Shippuden was just starting off (he didn't know yet), so I put an episode on the disc too for him to watch. Low and behold, we're in the library, my friends and I walk past his laptop and guess what he's watching? lol

Walked away with an A+ ;)

@narusakuno1

One of the things I found with Naruto is that it's very good with immersing you within that world. Especially part 1, I remember those strong emotional stories that just spoke to me. It was about never giving up, believing in yourself, even when the whole world is against you. You spend so much time watching the anime/reading the manga, being fully immersed in it and soon enough the characters become real, they have real meaning :) Definitely going to be sad to say goodbye.

giphy.gif

#12 *- ZerΩ -*

*- ZerΩ -*

D E J A V U

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

I think he was late 20s back then.

Haha yeah, I remember, we had to do this large project and I did some powerpoint presentation thing, which he could view on his own and back then, Shippuden was just starting off (he didn't know yet), so I put an episode on the disc too for him to watch. Low and behold, we're in the library, my friends and I walk past his laptop and guess what he's watching? lol

Walked away with an A+ ;)

@narusakuno1

One of the things I found with Naruto is that it's very good with immersing you within that world. Especially part 1, I remember those strong emotional stories that just spoke to me. It was about never giving up, believing in yourself, even when the whole world is against you. You spend so much time watching the anime/reading the manga, being fully immersed in it and soon enough the characters become real, they have real meaning :) Definitely going to be sad to say goodbye.

Hahahaha nice!

Way to go xD

#13 Aslan

Aslan

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Lots of things...

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Well my story isn't an amazing one. It's quite odd actually.

Anyway, the first time I became engulfed into the Naruto-world was on TV - by accident. I was around 11yrs old. I remember watching Freddy vs Jason one night by myself (don't ask why) and I kinda picked up 20min into the movie that I wasn't getting any sleep for the next 3 days. So I carried out my very own horror movie recuperation tactic and switched the channel to cartoon network to rid my memory of the movie and shift the mood to a happy feeling.

Unbeknownst to my knowledge, I just stumbled upon something that was going to influence my life in more ways than one. Yeah, you guessed it....Naruto! To my convenience, the episode that was airing was the Kiba vs Naruto fight conclusion. And that was hilarious! when Naruto was hyping for his finishing move it gave off the impression that it ought to be something awesome. Instead it was a plain old fart that created the opportunity to beat Kiba. Lol! Honestly, I think the convenience of the situation I was in along with the hilarity and unexpectedness of the moment was fortunate and it swayed me into wanting more.

Then I watched more episodes. I found myself surrounded by a dazzling array of characters and interesting plot points dealt with those characters individually and as a whole. Everything interested me, the story, the themes, the characters, the art, the soundtrack - everything. Before I knew it, I was a fan. Wow now that I think about it brings so much nostalgia! It makes me quite melancholic to know its end is near but at the same time, I'm grateful that knowing this series exists is embedded in my brain and that I get to see it through.

f3a84606-2c3e-4f4e-8cce-14e0f2502fde_zps

#14 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Naruto <3 ;Drawing anime ; Watching anime and K-dramas; NaruSaku <3

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

one word: toonami c:

I was on cartoon network's site before it came on, and it was on there as one of the shows coming on soon, and I remember thinking it was gonna be stupid, and that Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura were actually grown xD

I gave it a try and here I am today on a NaruSaku forum hoping it'll happen :) and down to 2 or 3 more chapters as well

tumblr_inline_ndxjyuuF571qlo98f.gif

#15 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Well my story isn't an amazing one. It's quite odd actually.

Anyway, the first time I became engulfed into the Naruto-world was on TV - by accident. I was around 11yrs old. I remember watching Freddy vs Jason one night by myself (don't ask why) and I kinda picked up 20min into the movie that I wasn't getting any sleep for the next 3 days. So I carried out my very own horror movie recuperation tactic and switched the channel to cartoon network to rid my memory of the movie and shift the mood to a happy feeling.

Unbeknownst to my knowledge, I just stumbled upon something that was going to influence my life in more ways than one. Yeah, you guessed it....Naruto! To my convenience, the episode that was airing was the Kiba vs Naruto fight conclusion. And that was hilarious! when Naruto was hyping for his finishing move it gave off the impression that it ought to be something awesome. Instead it was a plain old fart that created the opportunity to beat Kiba. Lol! Honestly, I think the convenience of the situation I was in along with the hilarity and unexpectedness of the moment was fortunate and it swayed me into wanting more.

Then I watched more episodes. I found myself surrounded by a dazzling array of characters and interesting plot points dealt with those characters individually and as a whole. Everything interested me, the story, the themes, the characters, the art, the soundtrack - everything. Before I knew it, I was a fan. Wow now that I think about it brings so much nostalgia! It makes me quite melancholic to know its end is near but at the same time, I'm grateful that knowing this series exists is embedded in my brain and that I get to see it through.

It's amazing isn't it? It's like, when you revisit those episodes, you can remember the feelings, desires and thoughts that you had when you first watched them during a special time in your life. I mean I know it happens with movies too, but I've gotta say, there's something really special about Naruto. The characters, the stories, the soundtrack, the world. It's pleasant.

one word: toonami c:

I was on cartoon network's site before it came on, and it was on there as one of the shows coming on soon, and I remember thinking it was gonna be stupid, and that Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura were actually grown xD

I gave it a try and here I am today on a NaruSaku forum hoping it'll happen :) and down to 2 or 3 more chapters as well

As much as I tell myself not to, I always judge a series or movie or similar by my first impression. There's a lot of shows that I took a chance on and loved, so I'm glad I gave them a shot. For Naruto, it took me a while to decide to watch. I mean my friends were talking about it and all, but it was only when my teacher starting talking about it I was like, a show that can appeal to any kind of age group, there must be something pretty special about it. 

I can't believe it's down to 3 chapters and a movie oh and sure the anime, but man, is it hard to comprehend. 

Hopefully we get an incredible and satisfying end to a manga/anime that marked most of our childhoods :)

giphy.gif

#16 Aslan

Aslan

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

It's amazing isn't it? It's like, when you revisit those episodes, you can remember the feelings, desires and thoughts that you had when you first watched them during a special time in your life. I mean I know it happens with movies too, but I've gotta say, there's something really special about Naruto. The characters, the stories, the soundtrack, the world. It's pleasant.

Absolutely! speaking of which. I'm going to revisit the whole thing and watch it all over again once i've read the last page of the last chapter. Believe it!

#17 applesauceful

applesauceful

I've Heard It Both Ways

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Absolutely! speaking of which. I'm going to revisit the whole thing and watch it all over again once i've read the last page of the last chapter. Believe it!

Oh I would love to do the same, preferably before the finality of the manga. Sucks that Uni exams are on around the same time, so I'm gonna have to find time to balance the two ;) Also, if the manga this week strongly suggests NaruSaku (which it should), then I'll be super inclined to revisit those NaruSaku moments, if it's the opposite-- nah, don't wanna think about that :)

giphy.gif

#18 Aslan

Aslan

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Oh I would love to do the same, preferably before the finality of the manga. Sucks that Uni exams are on around the same time, so I'm gonna have to find time to balance the two ;) Also, if the manga this week strongly suggests NaruSaku (which it should), then I'll be super inclined to revisit those NaruSaku moments, if it's the opposite-- nah, don't wanna think about that :)

Haha! Good point!

I probably won't watch it all in one fell swoop as I too have other things to attend to. And yes, a viewing of all its most special moments would be a more suitable way to commemorate the series.

#19 BlazingDynamo

BlazingDynamo

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku playing video games watching Pokemon XY talking to other NS fans

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

In the beginning I didn't care much about Naruto to me it was boring I stopped watching Naruto after the episode where Naruto beat Gaara. Not only that I was a SasuSaku fan in the beginning as well because when I saw Sakura crushing over Sasuke I was like wow Sasuke got all females falling for him because of good looks and cool.

#20 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

My friend introduced it to me in High School... He was a NO fan. Why didn't I become one? I have no idea.

509356167_759751.gif?4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users