Close
Photo

The Swastika: A Symbol of Goodness or Hate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Too bad I didn't know that word THEN, stupid child version of krisk XD; but yeah, now that I think about it-- if she's going to preach like she's some kind of dictator, I'm glad she got fired. Even if she was a nice lady, she really shouldn't judge so quickly.

and yup, it was inverted. I know for sure it wasn't the Swastika of this thread's topic-- I'd never SEEN that symbol before then.

and AWSOMEWAH. 8D I myself have an anklet with a Buddhist Swastika charm on it; I've been called on it a few times, but I just say, "Really? Me? C'mon."

They would just go "ohrite nvm" and shut up too. XD

#22 Dormin

Dormin

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Agreed Kirisk, me as a Jew understand what this symbol was so I don't go "Gasp! NAZIS"

lol, the thought about Nazi Krisk happy.gif prolly the thousend years third Rich would have become the one year rich XD

Made by Vongola10th

"Someone shoot me..." - Kyon, cheerful as always

#23 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

I was wondering if the "Nazi" version was inverted, now I know.
QUOTE (Cloud @ Jan 11 2009, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Krisk. I'd imagine your elementary school teacher is a wee bit retarded. The Nazi swastika was an inverted swastika (right? I really don't remember the symbol).

I have a Buddhist protection charm, and it has a swastika on it. My friends saw it and gaped at me. I was like: 'Notice the Chinese characters around it? It's not Nazi.'

They shut up instantly.

That's awsome.

Edited by Kurosaki Ichigo, 11 January 2009 - 05:19 PM.

#24 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:37 AM

Hmm, I just realized that the fact that the Aryan people originated in India and they were also concerned with skin purity and Swastika did come from Indian culture, did Hitler know of the connection when he used it as a symbol??

#25 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

Ah, hating and getting so offended over something they know nothing about. In the end it all boils down the only sure fact of life. People are morons.

#26 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

I look at it like this, the Swastika and the Manji symbol the Swastika is based off of are two different things. The Swastika represents the most evil person in the history of mankind and his regime, the Manji symbol represents good luck.

uc.png

#27 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (psycho666 @ Jan 12 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, hating and getting so offended over something they know nothing about. In the end it all boils down the only sure fact of life. People are morons.

That's pretty harsh. Most don't know that the sign was meant as a symbol for good, as it's been clearly associated with pure evil, and the loss of millions of innocent human lives. Calling people morons for not knowing, because it's not something that is really known in common society, is pretty low.

#28 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:23 AM

To be honest, with the true meaning of the swastika being peace and prosperity, I find it quite surprising that many of the people here who want to use it are actually taking up quite an attitude about it, which insures the opposite.

The thing that really gets me the most about this is that people say "Hitler is dead, move on." Excuse me, but do you know exactly HOW he tried to exterminate the jews and how RECENT the Holocaust was? I have a cousin who was an Auschwitz survivor; when I have someone alive in my family who was directly affected by such a tragic event, I personally cannot "move on". And the Nazis did not simply pull Jews into the corner and shoot them (though there was plenty of that). Here's what it would be like to enter into a concentration camp.

1) Anyone under 18 and over 45? Straight to the gas chambers.

2) Strip down, and for the males, have your head shaved. Both genders given a number. Prosthetic limbs go to. Anyone caught smuggling any personal belongings will be shot.

3) Given uniforms. Not your size? Too bad.

4) Do hard labor. If you stop or get hurt, you get shot. Actually, you might get shot anyway even if you do a good job.

5) Walks, excercise. How does doing jumping jacks butt naked in January sound?

6) 1 meal a day. Which consists of bread and worthless soup.

7) In the event you do not make it, your body will be placed on top of others, which will then be moved by a bull-dozer into a trench.

And that's just the concentration camps. Never mind the segregation, the ghettos, and getting to the concentration camps.

I agree, there should be more education about the true meaning of the swastika and the culture it originated from. But even if you use the correct version, it does not exactly make me respect you if you treat what happened back then like nothing worth getting upset over nowadays.

So, my tips to you on approaching this subject:
1) If someone notices it, smile and say "Yeah, I know why you're giving me that look." Then explains as simply as possible the history behind the swastika.

2) Don't show it off every where (granted, if everyone could accept the good version, I wouldn't type this rule, but as we can see that is not the case). It's simply polite, and arguably a good way to avoid an unnecessary hassle.

3) Show you actually give a damn about what happened in Hitler's Europe. And don't dismiss someone taking offense to the thing when they're not Jewish; they probably take offense to it in the first place because they know somebody who is, has been affected or they simply do not like the idea of genocide. Hey, I've heard plenty of people spew comments that I've taken offense to, even when I'm not part of the group they're talking about.

And I suggest you watch some kind of documentary on the Holocaust when you can. I personally suggest doing that when you're already in a poor mood, since I wouldn't want you to ruin an otherwise great day for yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users