181 replies to this topic

#101 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

I wouldn't expect you to hold anything back. That's what reviewing is all about.

I relish such criticisms. If I don't get anything but people telling me how awesome I am, how the hell am I supposed to get any better?

Edited by Illjwamh, 18 July 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#102 Gena kumo

Gena kumo

Floatin' along as a Silvery Cloud...

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Let's see....<br />-Reading<br />-Writing<br />-Sketching/Doodling<br />-Traveling<br />-And practically anything and EVERYTHING that has to do w/ <br />creativity and The Arts ^_^

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Jul 18 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I relish such criticisms. If I don't get anything but people telling me how awesome I am, how the hell am I supposed to get any better?

FINALLY. arg.gif

Someone who UNDERSTANDS! happy.gif

I will do you a service because of that, my good fellow writer. biggrin.gif

Be prepared to get some reviews coming your way.

(At least...for the fanfics that I know the background anime/manga for...such as Naruto.
I don't think it would be fair to read and review something based off of something I know next to nothing about. -__- Do you?)

Edited by Gena kumo, 19 July 2008 - 02:01 AM.

[color="#FF8C00"]My fan-writing <3 fairycloud22

#103 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

Not at all.

I also think it would be pointless, because if you're not going to be able to become interested in the story, why bother reading it?

Unless you're getting paid, of course.

#104 ebonydreads

ebonydreads

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Yup, here's my FF.net page: Hinataxx smile.gif

#105 Anewhope2

Anewhope2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Gena kumo @ Jul 18 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can completely relate with you on that.

I'm always bluntly honest w/ my reviews...(NOT FLAMES...R-E-V-I-E-W-S and intellectual CRITIQUE... -__- There's a difference.)...but not all authors take it very well when you say exactly what you think. facepalm.png

The best writers take it with a grain of salt...(Personally, I always appreciate well-thought-out reviews over "OMGosh...soooo goood! laugh.gif Faving this! love.gif love.gif love.gif "
...A.K.A....bubbling trash commentary. -__- While it IS positive, it honestly isn't the BEST critique.)

But some take it as an offense on their person. -__- And that is NEVER good.

Hard to know what do do in that sort of situation...

I mean, writers always want to get better right? huh.gif But how can they do that if NO one EVER speaks their mind and says there's something wrong (however small) w/ their work?!? -__- *Sigh...*

The world may never know.... sleep.gif

Out of all the reviews i get, i only got 2 good ones on Fanfiction.net. The rest is like Update soon and stuff.. But in deviantart, Highspeed always gives me great reviews.. he gives me pointers and suggestions, but most of the reviews he gives me are high caliber..

This is something that irritates me, i have this person that is on my stories watch list, then he writes a review containing the words "You can't spell" I go rawr.gif I can spell, i always put my stories on spell check... so i'm guessing some part of my story didn't go the way he or she wanted to.

And i agree, in order for a writer to get better, someone has to really think when they are writing a review, but unfortunately that only comes once in a blue moon for me anyways.. But really in order for a writer to get better is to give them suggestions, tell which parts are good or average. I mean really look into the story when you are reading it..

#106 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (Anewhope2 @ Aug 22 2008, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of all the reviews i get, i only got 2 good ones on Fanfiction.net. The rest is like Update soon and stuff.. But in deviantart, Highspeed always gives me great reviews.. he gives me pointers and suggestions, but most of the reviews he gives me are high caliber..

This is something that irritates me, i have this person that is on my stories watch list, then he writes a review containing the words "You can't spell" I go rawr.gif I can spell, i always put my stories on spell check... so i'm guessing some part of my story didn't go the way he or she wanted to.

And i agree, in order for a writer to get better, someone has to really think when they are writing a review, but unfortunately that only comes once in a blue moon for me anyways.. But really in order for a writer to get better is to give them suggestions, tell which parts are good or average. I mean really look into the story when you are reading it..

Lol! Don't worry about those type of people. Those type of comments are pure stupidity if they don't give examples. That said, it doesn't mean the longer the review, the better it is. I kinda disagree. Some people could simply post a question at a part of your fic without even complimenting or degrading your writing skill, and it'll get you to think more and actually help you improve quite a bit.

I think that if you feel u can get better, but don't know how, easy way would be to get a beta to work with you. Hard way would be to read loads of gd fics, and somehow learn from them.
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#107 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

well, I can't blame people who can only says: "Good Job" or "Update quickly" I mean... people read fanfiction for fun, not as a profesional critical reader. while we as the writers do apprecicate a good critics but most reader prob not even able to tell if there are anything wrong with the story other than obscure things like: English name for Jutsus or English names in Naruto fanfictions.

then there are people that can't just accept that other people have different preferences, like people flaming away because the writer use different pairing than their favourite? I can't help but thnking that they are masochists, theres filter up there and they intentionally fill the character column with the 2 people that they dun wanna be paired off? if thats not stupid I dunno what that is.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#108 KittenLou

KittenLou

I'm a kitty NOM:3

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Just recently, I've become rather engrossed in the history and various concepts British Literature offers from the Romantic period, but that could just be because of my professor lol. Of course anime and manga are a given. =) And shows dealing with &quot;otherworldly&quot; things, like Supernatural and Ghost Hunters and, uh...

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

I personally don not mind what type of review I get, unless it is a spur of the moment drabble or a quickly put together rough draft. Then, I would ask for some serious die-hard reviews; what's a good idea that should be elaborated on, what seems trivial to no end, etc.

I have received a few reviews with intellectual remarks and observations, and that always fills me with a bubbly feeling of goodness and love, but so do the usual comments of "I really like this, keep up the good work" or "I can't wait for more" because, as much as the lengthier comments keep the creative gears in my mind working, it is the other comments of support and praise that really inspire me to continue.

I believe it to be somewhat silly to express a frustration toward the writers (who are generally very young to begin with) who do not enjoy reading tougher reviews; not everyone is going to be an amazing writer, but not everyone is going to have the same confidence in the system as others. If you know you are not good at conveying the over all message of a story (or individual chapters, etc.), and really want to get better at it, then the more "critical" reviews are not going to be as offensive. However, if you have trouble conveying ideas and do not have a lot of confidence in yourself as a writer in general, you are bound to be a lot more touchy than the former types of writers described.

Like I said, though, I have never really had any issues with my fanfiction; I've received some tougher ones, I think, for the ones which didn't have a very well built structure or theme, but I saw that coming. These were usually quickly scribbled and not a lot of time was taken into them... kind of like my series of NS drabbles. XD *is shot for such bad writings*

Oh, and for anyone interested, you can find me at ff.net under infinitx.

also known as Crackers

#109 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

I suppose stumbling around H&E forums has its perks. I came across this little discussion here, read through it a bit, and found that I actually recognised a couple of names here and there. Feels a bit like home. So yup, I'm up for a bit of advertising.

I'm a bit of random author, actually, but I've got a couple of NaruSaku fics, two of which are multi-chaptered. Name's peanutbutter126, link's in my sig.

Oh yeah - nice to meet you all. :thumbs:

#110 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:59 AM

Im not a popular writer on FF.net, but I am there.

Bebopin - screen name. And i enjoy every comment I get. The tough part is waiting for the critisism to come, when I need help i dont normally ask for it, I tend to throw stones and watch the clouds go by waiting for a critique. Ho Hum
All In all I like FF.net. It provides the outlet I need so that others can read what I got lying around.

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#111 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Paradox Jast - That's my name here and there. Only one NaruSaku story so far, it's a long one. I decided to start big. biggrin.gif I'd say 95% of the feedback I've gotten is positive.

The thing I think I like most about the reviews I get is when people try to guess what's going to happen next. I can sit there and be like 'dang, how'd you guess?' or 'haha, not even close!'. It means people are taking my writing seriously, which I appreciate. smile.gif

#112 Fallen_Angel

Fallen_Angel

Shadow Jester

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Email me to find out: a little about my interests Swimming and diving are my sports of choice, i love anime, i love movies and video games, my main hobby is writing...love it and love music<br /><br />And my new site: http://wirlescomunity.informe.com/forum/

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

Havent Written much on FF but one shot.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/962305/

(i am trying to get a new story up sooner then later)
but idk....mostly working on fictionpress.com
To some I am a Fallen Angel, to others I am the demon of oblivion, I guess the lies are finally found, What will you be on judgement day?

Life is short so best to know what you are capable of. Enjoy the Ride of life and yet keep a close eye on everyone around you. because one day, they could be your saving angel.

#113 believeit6

believeit6

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Well, I love NaruSaku. That's why I'm here, of course. NaruSaku is da bomb! They look so great eachother and just complete eachother. I love the Naruto series too, as well as some other animes.

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:15 AM

I have an account there too. Same as my username here-believeit6
I have only one story, but like Paradox Jast I like to start big. My story's name sucks, I know.

You know what I hate? When people write- "I suck at summerys." I spelled it wrong on purpose by the way, cause every summary that has that usually does. It's okay to suck at summaries, but if you do then get better! Or ask someone else to do it for you, because no one will read something with a horrible summary. It needs to contain a brief plot description, usually the pairing, setting if you want to go real deep and mention of certain aspects- OOC, OCs, lemons, etc. Anyone else agree?

NaruSaku Fan|Narutofan|True Believer|FF.net

#114 Zero BD

Zero BD

nishishishi

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Mostly drawing, playing games and watching anime. Normal things, I think.

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:05 AM

ZeroBD
Evangelion fanfic at the moment.

why yes. that is my adorable sister hugging a dakimura. got a problem?

#115 IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

http://www.fanfictio...idSpacemanSpiff

I've only got two stories up so far, but I'm working on a third, and continuing on with another one (however long that might take).

#116 narusaku1221

narusaku1221

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

Here's mine, I've wrote a few NaruSaku fanfictions, nothing too special though

http://www.fanfiction.net/~NaruSakuforLife

#117 Hefster

Hefster

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Present and accounted for: Hefster
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

You can find me here on FF.net.

Each topic brought to you with at least 1 spelling error.

#118 Youklvr

Youklvr

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in reading, writing, playing video games, and hanging out with friends. I am also interested in movies. Erm... I don't know what else. I guess I also like attempting to swim...

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Most of my stories suck in my opinion, but I have too much time on my hands so I write. Whelp, here it is: Youkolvr on FF.Net
Necrophilia is so wrong! Unless... the body is still fresh!

My FF.net page

#119 Youklvr

Youklvr

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in reading, writing, playing video games, and hanging out with friends. I am also interested in movies. Erm... I don't know what else. I guess I also like attempting to swim...

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (believeit6 @ Dec 10 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have an account there too. Same as my username here-believeit6
I have only one story, but like Paradox Jast I like to start big. My story's name sucks, I know.

You know what I hate? When people write- "I suck at summerys." I spelled it wrong on purpose by the way, cause every summary that has that usually does. It's okay to suck at summaries, but if you do then get better! Or ask someone else to do it for you, because no one will read something with a horrible summary. It needs to contain a brief plot description, usually the pairing, setting if you want to go real deep and mention of certain aspects- OOC, OCs, lemons, etc. Anyone else agree?

I suck really bad at summaries when I see a summary that has any misspelled words, I don't really feel compelled to read it.
Necrophilia is so wrong! Unless... the body is still fresh!

My FF.net page

#120 Kunai Poetry

Kunai Poetry

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

(My apologies for the slight necropost).

My fanfiction.net page is http://www.fanfictio...t/~perspicacity ; I write under the pseudonym "Perspicacity," a play on words of my last name.

I've only one Naruto story posted, Moonless Night, a NaruSaku piece that's by far the least read of anything I've written. I'm working on a Naruto/Ino story that I'll be posting soon.

Most of my work (a dozen or so stories) is in the Harry Potter fandom, where I've had more acclaim. Like others on here, I'm also working on a couple of original fiction novels in the speculative fiction genres. I've yet to sell one, though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users