Close
Photo

Does the 'shocking ending' confirm NS as the OTP?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

Just flipping things around a bit: 

So the 'shocking ending' turned out to be that Naruto was with Hinata and Sasuke was with Sakura. There was nothing else shocking. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

So by default doesn't that mean that NS was the One True Pairing? Because if they weren't, then the ending wouldn't be terribly shocking.

If NS ended the manga, no one would be shocked.

It's sort of the same principle as the RtN is built on. NaruSaku has to be the norm in order for them to go to an alternate universe where everything is different and the outside love interests are coming on to them for a change. 

It's a gimmick. But the only way the gimmick works is that there has to be certainty to use as s springboard. You have to have rules before you can break them. NaruSaku has to be the OTP before you have a 'shocking ending' where everything is different.

So, underneath it all, is this craptastic ending really just a confirmation of NS?

#2 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think the shocking part is that (up until 693 at least) people thought it would be good and it wasn't.

#3 六道仙人

六道仙人

レヴィ 好き

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

the shocking ending was just a sidetext by the editor and I think that was referred to the conclusion of  NS battle, especially how they lost their arms.

は天才バスケットマン桜木花道。

"I'm the Basketball genius, Hanamichi Sakuragi"

uvoJkhc.png

#4 soshi

soshi

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

I think the shocking part is that (up until 693 at least) people thought it would be good and it wasn't.

if they think theat shock equals stupidity then i agree with them :twitch:

Edited by soshi, 17 November 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#5 ns.Believe.It

ns.Believe.It

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Long walks, Driving.
    Arsenal FC.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

True,The canon pairings were a little bit shocking. What was even more shocking was the revelation that Naruto and Sasuke are failures as husbands / fathers. The most shocking thing however were the skyscrapers and the macbook. Where did all that engineering and technological development come from?! :twitch:

I guess the King of asspulls, Masashi Kishimoto, wanted to end the manga with a bang. That was the last time he could asspull things so he made the most of it.

Asspull plot ending which made little sense, asspull romance complete with random pairings, asspull new generation with weird looking kids, new and asspulled Konoha city and finally macbooks- asspulled technology.

Edited by ns.Believe.It, 17 November 2014 - 03:41 PM.

tumblr_mzzew0nSyr1t3jjq1o1_500.gif

'No matter what I do, I guess Happiness is a feeling that I'll never experience'

#6 Branden

Branden

The man who's going to save the world.

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

the shocking ending was just a sidetext by the editor and I think that was referred to the conclusion of  NS battle, especially how they lost their arms.

We already knew that though. The movie spoilers confirmed it way before the chapter was released. In fact the movie spoilers confirmed a great deal about the ending. Nothing was shocking other than the end pairings.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

"This hat means a lot to me. Promise me you'll give it back someday...

when you've become a great pirate." -Shanks

#7 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

I don't know, but I have been seeing some weird things about the final two chapters.  Apparently, Kishimoto said that there were errors in the chapter(s) that he put in on purpose as hints.  Some people have been posting about them as well.

One such moment that struck me as off is Kiba claiming that Naruto stepped down or quit something on his own.  It could just be Kiba telling tall tales to impress the woman he's with, but Naruto never quits.

If the ending turns out not to be what it seems, and if NaruSaku was actually confirmed as canon by the movie and/or subsequent chapters, then Kishimoto would be the biggest troll I have ever seen.

I don't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed all over again, but we'll find out for sure within the next 2 weeks after the movie airs in Japan.

#8 Michi

Michi

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

I don't know, but I have been seeing some weird things about the final two chapters.  Apparently, Kishimoto said that there were errors in the chapter(s) that he put in on purpose as hints.  Some people have been posting about them as well.

Really?

Was this confirmed? O:

aeb83504-2ae7-426f-b3d0-4fb11dcfd84b_zps

pfeffersteak.tumblr.com

#9 XJohnnyApprovesNarskuX

XJohnnyApprovesNarskuX

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, LuNa, NaLu, IchiRuki, Video games, Anime, Manga, Wrestling,Poetry, writing

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Just flipping things around a bit: 

So the 'shocking ending' turned out to be that Naruto was with Hinata and Sasuke was with Sakura. There was nothing else shocking. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

So by default doesn't that mean that NS was the One True Pairing? Because if they weren't, then the ending wouldn't be terribly shocking.

If NS ended the manga, no one would be shocked.

It's sort of the same principle as the RtN is built on. NaruSaku has to be the norm in order for them to go to an alternate universe where everything is different and the outside love interests are coming on to them for a change. 

It's a gimmick. But the only way the gimmick works is that there has to be certainty to use as s springboard. You have to have rules before you can break them. NaruSaku has to be the OTP before you have a 'shocking ending' where everything is different.

So, underneath it all, is this craptastic ending really just a confirmation of NS?

yes, i think Narusaku was the OTP, but kishi may of been forced to switch it around by his idiot publishers, an if SP was also behind it he made this chapter be ridiculous as a kitten you to them. i mean,Narusaku was the clear OTP

hqdefault.jpg

NaruSaku is heaven and earth without one there'd never be the other

narusakuFTW LuffyXNami

#10 Hiyuusha

Hiyuusha

Hanzo Hattori

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Hanging out with bros, writing, prepping ingredients for pizza, making pizza, cooking pizza, slicing pizza, boxing pizza, packing pizza, delivering pizza, opening pizza boxes, grabbing slices of pizza, eating pizza, tasting pizza, swallowing pizza, digesting pizza, and ramen too! Also, I love to make Rasencookies - dattebayo! Lolno.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:34 AM

You guys are mistaken. Obviously the shocking ending was Chouji being with Karui, and the fact that a certain snake mistress got fat. However, it is easy to see why youd come to this conclusion. NaruSaku was OTP.

Edited by Hiyuusha, 18 November 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#11 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

If 'Shocking ending!' was side-text, then it probably doesn't mean anything. I don't think side-text is even done by the mangaka. Most of the time I forget to even read it @.@ Just fancy words to make you feel HYPE. Or something.

But the ending was sure shocking. In all sorts of bad ways.

Shocking!!...Bolt
Shocking!!...SALAD.

Shocking!!...sad, unloving Naruto
Shocking!!...end of the ninja era!

It's so bad XDD

#12 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

Well played, good sir. XD

I thought the random modern buildings were pretty shocking. Does Naruto take the subway to work now? It's pretty shocking that Naruto thought that hair-style looked even remotely good. Sasuke's kid looks like Karin, maybe the shock is that Sakura is dumb and doesn't realize Lettuce isn't hers. Nah, just kidding, that's way OOC, that wouldn't happen. I'm pretty shocked at how Hinata's breasts got smaller. Didn't realize that ever happened in manga. Maybe Naruto asked her to get augmentation to look more like his favorite girl. It'd be pretty shocking if surgeons like that existed in a shounen world.

The only thing that doesn't shock me is that Naruto's kid is a One Piece fan. Can't blame him...he probably dreams of a better universe than the one he's stuck in.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#13 Michi

Michi

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:57 AM

Well played, good sir. XD

I thought the random modern buildings were pretty shocking. Does Naruto take the subway to work now?

I just snorted really loud.

LMFAOOO

pfeffersteak.tumblr.com

#14 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:06 AM

Woah woah woah. Wait a minute. Where was this stated? Anyone got a link to an interview I haven't seen anything. Just people talking theories.

#15 Michi

Michi

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:41 AM

Woah woah woah. Wait a minute. Where was this stated? Anyone got a link to an interview I haven't seen anything. Just people talking theories.

Just people talking theories.

I asked this too already. lol

He just said to read chapter 700 in order to understand the movie..or something like that. lol

pfeffersteak.tumblr.com

#16 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

If 'Shocking ending!' was side-text, then it probably doesn't mean anything. I don't think side-text is even done by the mangaka. Most of the time I forget to even read it @.@ Just fancy words to make you feel HYPE. Or something.

But the ending was sure shocking. In all sorts of bad ways.

Shocking!!...Bolt
Shocking!!...SALAD.

Shocking!!...sad, unloving Naruto
Shocking!!...end of the ninja era!

It's so bad XDD

I just have the image of Naruto as a depressed man now. I can see a scene now..... scene now... scene now....

Shino: Ok kids calm down today we have a special guess for us. The 7th Hokage Naruto Uzumaki!!

a_very_depressed_Naruto_by_SakuraPetalzz

Naruto: *walks in with a sad depressed look on his face* Hello kids.

Kids: HI 7th Hokage!!

Shino: And now some of our kids want to ask you some questions 7th!

Salad: :woot: Hey 7th! I want to know who the real Naruto Uzumaki is!

Naruto: What makes you think I know who Naruto Uzumaki is? :glare:  When I look in the mirror all I see staring back at me is a collection of illusions... manufactured memories...and prepackaged emotions for sale in your local comic book store. Who is the real Naruto Uzumaki? Don't waste my time. It's a pathetic question. :mellow:

Shino: :err:  .... Looks like our Hokage is a bit stressed.

Kid 3: 7th would you like to come to my house for some board games and ramen noodles! My Mom says you love ramen noodles! She says she knew you when you were my age!!!

Naruto: :sad: I got a good game. It's called two lies and another lie. Guess who's playing? The entire nation.

Shino:...... :facepalm:

Naruto: Whatever pathetic reason your parents want me to meet them for will be useless. Whatever I tell them or you about myself, would just end up with us all just smiling and lying to each other. And you wouldn't be any closer to knowing anything about me then Salad would be about knowing her Father. :angry:  It's pathetic.

Salad: :umm:

Shino: I think you shouldn't be so depressing around the kids Hokage... Bolt what did your Father right on his silly story card we handed him.

Bolt:  :shrug:  It's blank.

Naruto: Just like all of you.

Shino: Come on Naruto give us something the kids have been waiting for this for weeks. Where were you born?

Nartuo:  No where.

Shino: :facepalm: Why don't you talk about your parents?

Naruto: :mellow: We are all born alone... and we die alone.

Shino: :confused:  What's your favorite Ice Cream taste?

Naruto: :th_yeah: Rocky Road!

Kids: :omfg: THE HOKAGE LOVES ROCKY ROAD!!

Naruto: My whole life's been a rocky road. Pot holes of despair and long stretches of loneliness. Now you want me to open up to you guys after twenty minutes of talking and some finger painting? It's desperate. Your all pathetic. Especially you Salad, pathetic. :angry:

Rest of the Kids: :hm:

Naruto; If you guys want me for something I'll be eating some store bought ramen alone in my tower again. :cry:

Ok that isn't mine that's actually an alteration of the College Humor story "Don Draper's College Orientation" but I thought some of you may laugh, or cry a bit over it.

Edited by Tiller, 18 November 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#17 Dendraki

Dendraki

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:05 AM

Please dont say stuff like that and we get our hopes up :(

The more and more i think about it this reminds me SOOOOOO much of the new thundercats cartoon. So much cheetara lion-o chemistry and them BAMN a flashback or 2 and cheetara is in love with tygra.

Edited by Dendraki, 18 November 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#18 AaaaNinja

AaaaNinja

Aaaa!!!

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, 3D modeling, hermit crabs, pokemon, taekwondo, comics

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

Clearly the shock is that Oonoki is STILL ALIVE.

#19 Hiyuusha

Hiyuusha

Hanzo Hattori

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Hanging out with bros, writing, prepping ingredients for pizza, making pizza, cooking pizza, slicing pizza, boxing pizza, packing pizza, delivering pizza, opening pizza boxes, grabbing slices of pizza, eating pizza, tasting pizza, swallowing pizza, digesting pizza, and ramen too! Also, I love to make Rasencookies - dattebayo! Lolno.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

I just have the image of Naruto as a depressed man now. I can see a scene now..... scene now... scene now....

Shino: Ok kids calm down today we have a special guess for us. The 7th Hokage Naruto Uzumaki!!

a_very_depressed_Naruto_by_SakuraPetalzz

Naruto: *walks in with a sad depressed look on his face* Hello kids.

Kids: HI 7th Hokage!!

Shino: And now some of our kids want to ask you some questions 7th!

Salad: :woot: Hey 7th! I want to know who the real Naruto Uzumaki is!

Naruto: What makes you think I know who Naruto Uzumaki is? :glare:  When I look in the mirror all I see staring back at me is a collection of illusions... manufactured memories...and prepackaged emotions for sale in your local comic book store. Who is the real Naruto Uzumaki? Don't waste my time. It's a pathetic question. :mellow:

Shino: :err:  .... Looks like our Hokage is a bit stressed.

Kid 3: 7th would you like to come to my house for some board games and ramen noodles! My Mom says you love ramen noodles! She says she knew you when you were my age!!!

Naruto: :sad: I got a good game. It's called two lies and another lie. Guess who's playing? The entire nation.

Shino:...... :facepalm:

Naruto: Whatever pathetic reason your parents want me to meet them for will be useless. Whatever I tell them or you about myself, would just end up with us all just smiling and lying to each other. And you wouldn't be any closer to knowing anything about me then Salad would be about knowing her Father. :angry:  It's pathetic.

Shino: I think you shouldn't be so depressing around the kids Hokage... Bolt what did your Father right on his silly story card we handed him.

Bolt:  :shrug:  It's blank.

Naruto: Just like all of you.

Shino: Come on Naruto give us something the kids have been waiting for this for weeks. Where were you born?

Nartuo:  No where.

Shino: :facepalm: Why don't you talk about your parents?

Naruto: :mellow: We are all born alone... and we die alone.

Shino: :confused:  What's your favorite Ice Cream taste?

Naruto: :th_yeah: Rocky Road!

Kids: :omfg: THE HOKAGE LOVES ROCKY ROAD!!

Naruto: My whole life's been a rocky road. Pot holes of despair and long stretches of loneliness. Now you want me to open up to you guys after twenty minutes of talking and some finger painting? It's desperate. Your all pathetic. Especially you Salad, pathetic. :angry:

Rest of the Kids: :hm:

Naruto; If you guys want me for something I'll be eating some store bought ramen alone in my tower again. :cry:

Ok that isn't mine that's actually an alteration of the College Humor story "Don Draper's College Orientation" but I thought some of you may laugh, or cry a bit over it.

Still made me laugh.

#20 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Just people talking theories.

I asked this too already. lol

He just said to read chapter 700 in order to understand the movie..or something like that. lol

Yeah, sadly I only saw that statement as part of a discussion that was taking part on the tumblr NaruSaku tag.  Just as Michi said, the nearest source I could find was Kishimoto asking us all to read chapter 700 to "understand" the movie.

If it does turn out that The Last movie will simply confirm NaruHina and SasuSaku as canon, and try to retcon 15 years of the manga, then a LOT of Naruto fans (not just NaruSaku) are going to be feeling very betrayed.  You simply don't tell a story for 15 years, then give it a rushed and poorly written ending with random developments thrown in for cheap shock value.

Can you imagine JRR Tolkien ending Lord of the Rings that way?  Frodo and Sam got blown up in the volcano, Gandalf disappeared into thin air, Legolas married Arwen, and Aragorn married Eowyn.

If Kishimoto and Shonen Jump have really decided to retcon Naruto, then a lot of fans are not going to be buying any more Naruto merchandise.  Why would they, if the mangaka and publisher couldn't respect the story enough to give it a proper ending?

Of course, if this is all an elaborate marketing ploy to get everyone talking about the weird ending and deliver a further twist (like NaruHina/SasuSaku were NOT canon), then they'd be absolute bastards for putting all the fans through the emotional wringer...

Either way, I would have preferred a well-written ending that neatly tied up all the storylines, even if NaruSaku wasn't made canon.  Nobody should "end" their story with a cheap marketing stunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users