• 859 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

I like how you linked them all together biggrin.gif

#22 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

I'm alive!

I'm very sorry that I haven't been around at all for the past few days, it was madness at the shop and my workload was through the roof just trying to keep up with the rate that customers were buying everything. Recession? What recession?

Now that the Xmas crush is over, hopefully I will be able to check this thread out every day. I'm going to enjoy catching up with all the drabbles everyone has posted. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Dec 22 2011, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it should be. I jumped the gun two days early because I didn't see Smiter's note about the extension. 121721.gif

But you still finished up first and I bet people could start use a few new prompts by now.

Thank you very much for stepping in, Nick. biggrin.gif

Congratulations to MonkeysTotallyRock, and thanks for the prompts! I shall update the first post. happy.gif

#23 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

Part 2 of my drabbles!

“Naruto, are you sure you're reading the recipe correctly?” Sakura looked over his shoulder impatiently.
“It says so right there; fruit liqueur, brandy, rum, white vine...”
“I'm not asking you to list the contents of a mini-bar! We're making a fruitcake, remember? Whose recipe is this anyway?”
“Kurenai gave it to me, and she probably got it from...”
“Tsunade” they sighed in unison.
“What's the matter, Sakura-chan, are you afraid that after eating it you'll find me irresistible and won't be able to help yourself?” he wagged his eyebrows suggestively.
“Ah, you fruitcake...”

Whenever you asked Naruto what Christmas was all about, he'd simply answer with one word: gifts. A lot of people found that strange because they never thought he was a selfish person and since he never got any gifts as a child. But nobody knew that his understanding of the word 'gifts' was different than everybody else's. Love and friendship, those were the things he truly knew how to appreciate. Nothing material mattered. So that's why every time Sakura asked him what he wanted for Christmas he'd respond with:
“Nothing, I have everything I need here in my arms.”

“Could you please give me some holly, Naruto?” Shikamaru was decorating his house and Naruto was kind enough to offer to hep him. But he wasn't really helpful..
“No, Naruto, that's mistletoe. Don't you know the difference?” Naruto shook his head.
“Holly has red berries, and mistletoe has white. Its leaves are are more spiky than mistletoe's. Also, hollies are more common here but you don't have to kiss under them.”
“What? Don't tell that to Sakura-chan, otherwise she won't kiss me as often!” he asked in panic.
“Idiot, she knew the difference all along...”

“I'm not licking that!”
“Come on, Sakura-chan. Imagine it's a really cold lollipop.” Naruto laughed.
This is another one of his childish ideas. She already got a cold from lying in the snow while making snow angels. Let's face it, winter was not Sakura's season.
“What if my mouth gets frozen?”
“In that case, you have me to warm it up for you.”
His warm breath touched her lips and after that she was lost when he covered her lips with his own. Disappointment washed over her when he pulled away quickly.
'Icicles, here I come...'

Naruto could be childish and out-of-control sometimes, but Sakura still loved him. Or maybe that's exactly why she loved him. It was difficult for her to keep track sometimes. When she was younger, she thought of him as a walking disaster whose favorite hobby was to maker her life miserable. But now she knew that her almost burnt-down kitchen, smashed decorations and bent Christmas tree were the results of him unsuccessfully trying to impress her. But she could never stay mad at him for long. His silliness is what made her Christmases jolly. It's what made her whole life jolly.

#24 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the drabbles, AchikaMiyu and Kim. biggrin.gif

AchikaMiyu got all the drabbles done first, so she gets to choose the new prompts for K to O. happy.gif

One day, I'm going to find the time to actually write SOMETHING. XD;; Sorry I haven't contributed yet, work's just been busy. But, it has been wonderful reading all of your drabbles, everyone. smile.gif

#25 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

Here are the prompts for K-O

Kiss
Lights
Mulled Wine
Nutcracker
Ornaments

Have fun with this everyone!
End of line.

#26 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Dec 28 2011, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are the prompts for K-O

Kiss
Lights
Mulled Wine
Nutcracker
Ornaments

Have fun with this everyone!

Mulled Wine is pretty obscure, pretty hard for prompt. Maybe you could replace it with a holiday prompt more connected to the Japanese holiday celebrations and traditions like: temple, New Years Cards, Toji (Winter Solstice), card game (there's a specific matching card game that was traditionally played during the holidays where you try to match up parts of famous poems, but a general card game prompt would open it up more broadly but still hint at the association), good luck, etc...
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#27 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

I don't have a problem with mulled wine, I think it's a good idea. The thing I don't know what to write about is the nutcracker. headscratch.gif

#28 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Dec 28 2011, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mulled Wine is pretty obscure, pretty hard for prompt. Maybe you could replace it with a holiday prompt more connected to the Japanese holiday celebrations and traditions like: temple, New Years Cards, Toji (Winter Solstice), card game (there's a specific matching card game that was traditionally played during the holidays where you try to match up parts of famous poems, but a general card game prompt would open it up more broadly but still hint at the association), good luck, etc...

I'll admit, I know nothing about Japanese holiday celebrations around this time of year. I do; however, have experience with mulled wine. Very tasty and highly recommended. I didn't want to throw a softball and use mistletoe. I wanted these to be a little challenging because that's part of the fun. At least I didn't do something like manger or myrrh. That would have been cruel.

Kim, try thinking of the Nutcracker ballet. That's where I got inspiration for the prompt.
End of line.

#29 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Oh, you were thinking about the ballet. Hm, it's still going to be a tough one but I'll think of something.

#30 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

Gah, I forgot about this challenge again sweatdrop.gif I will be cooking up some drabbles soon XD Nice entries so far and good prompts. Last time I had to google eggnog... this time, I shamefacedly had to google holly OTL My definition of holly is 'a plant/name of character from Artemis Fowl', so google was necessary >.>

#31 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

I exist! I just got really busy with Xmas and New Year's and lots of fun things. Anyway, I'm totally late but here are my drabbles!

Sakura berated herself for waiting so long. For the Harunos, fruitcake during Christmas was essential. Unfortunately, not many shops were open on Christmas eve. Finally finding a shop that had some fruitcake, she ran back hurriedly.
“This is delicious! I want to meet the cook who made this.” Her father declared.
“Sakura-chan!” Naruto ran in. “Your change.”
She frowned, unable to recall seeing Naruto at the store.
He smiled. “Didn't you know? I made the cake!”
“Maybe if you date him, we can get more of his fruitcake!” Her mom whispered.
“Not you too...”

Sakura and Naruto had a friendly competition – who got the ultimate anniversary present. For the past four years, Naruto had decisively won. But not this year. She was giddy.
“Sakura-chaan!” There he was after a two month assassination mission.
She exited the hug prematurely. “My present.” She gestured to the Hokage Monument.
On the rightmost corner, a new yet strangely familiar face was carved on the mountain. And suddenly, it all felt too surreal. 'Three whiskers on each side...'
“I convinced the council to let you start early, Hokage-sama.” Oh yes, she definitely won this year.

Naruto hated holly. It was green (as opposed to a more wondrous color, such as orange), prickly, and served no functional purpose. But for whatever reason, Sakura always mandated its use. “Sakura-chan, why do we use holly?”
She giggled. “It's a family tradition. My father proposed on Christmas Day with lots of holly, and it's been done ever since.”
Naruto's eyes went wide. “How did he propose?”
She shook her head playfully. “Can't tell. But it was beautiful.”
“Hmm... I wonder if my proposal will be awesome...” Naruto hadn't realized he'd voiced his thoughts aloud.

Okay, it was probably a mistake to lick the icicles in Snow Country. They were called the Great Frozen Icicles for a reason. Naruto could see that now.
What he couldn't understand was why Sakura was so upset. After all, it just took a simple fire jutsu to thaw his tongue out, and (except for Naruto's burnt tongue) everything was fine.
“Never mind. Just go around french kissing everything unimportant, baka!” And she stormed off.
Everything unimportant. What was so important? Sakura-chan. Had she just given him permission? The gravity of her words hit Naruto like a brick wall.

Naruto was the definition of jolly. Literally. Jiraiya's new shinobi standard dictionary had a picture of Naruto next to the entry of jolly. But on this particular New Year's, Naruto was downright depressed. Everyone was concerned, but none more so than Shikamaru – the official planner of Naruto's “troublesome” surprise party.
And everyone knew why: Naruto had asked Sakura to marry him... If he was this sad, there was only one possibility. She had declined.
“So she said no?” Kiba asked tactlessly.
Naruto solemnly nodded. After a long silence, he smiled brightly – “Just kidding!”
“NARUTO!!!”

#32 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Back to work and back to writing.

“It’s tradition!”

“That’s what you said at Christmas too.”

“Are you still mad at me over that? I really didn’t know that mistletoe was a plant.”

“Only you would have the gall to draw a picture of a missile with toes and hang it over my head as if you were expecting something.”

“So, you’re not going to kiss me at midnight?”

The teens could hear partiers starting the ten second countdown. Sakura stepped closer to Naruto and blushed before reaching up and giving him a quick peck on the lips as the countdown reached zero.

“Only because it’s tradition.”

He outdid himself this year. Sure, the electric bill was going to be expensive and sure his wife was going to berate him again like she did last year; but it was well worth it. Every inch of his house was covered in Christmas lights. Reds, blues, greens, and yellows. Some blinked on and off while others shone brightly. When Sakura came out and Naruto saw her eyes widen with a mixture of elation and anger; he knew it was well worth it.

“This is brighter than last year.”

“Yep, I think you can see our house from Mars now.”

Adding the next two:

The drink was simmering on the stove. She could smell the spices filling her kitchen. Her thoughts drifted to when Naruto convinced her to brew mulled wine for the first time. They were old enough to drink and thought they would spend the holidays with a lot of wine and cheer. She blushed over the memories of that night.

“Smells delicious.”

“It does. But you’re going to have to wait. The spices still need to steep a little longer before it’s ready.”

“I didn’t mean the mulled wine,” Naruto said as he reached to undo the knot of her apron.

It was the one thing about the holidays that he hated. They were everywhere: watching him, taunting him, creeping him out. Even their name was fearsome. But Sakura had a fondness for nutcrackers. She had fantasies as a child of being a ballet dancer just so she could dance in a production of The Nutcracker. It was only because he loved her so much that he allowed the creepy decorations. And it was because he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her that he let her dress him up as the Nutcracker prince and share a dance.

And the last one:

Each year they would buy an ornament for the tree. This year Sakura wanted to be the one to pick it out. When he didn’t see a new ornament hanging on the tree, he wondered if she had forgotten. Instead, there was a small present nestled on one of the branches with a note: “open immediately.” He looked to Sakura who motioned for him to open it. Inside was an ornament shaped like a baby carriage. Sakura smiled at him and brought his hand to her stomach. Naruto smiled and gave his wife a kiss before hanging their new ornament.

Hope to see some more drabbles from other people.

Edited by AchikaMiyu, 10 January 2012 - 06:06 PM.

End of line.

#33 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

Here are the prompts for P-T

Parties

Quinzhee (This one took me a while to figure out. A quinzhee is basically like an igloo, but made out of snow instead of ice-blocks.)

Resolutions

Snowman

Traditions

Hope you guys use them. I want to see more prompts!
End of line.

#34 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

Boy, the Christmas season just gets longer and longer, but this is the first time that I've seen it extending in this direction. biggrin.gif

And what's wrong with that? After all, I'd love to see some more drabbles.

#35 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

This thread gets no love shamefulcry0js.gif

Well, here I am to keep it alive.

If there was anything that Naruto knew how to do; it was to throw a party. This Christmas he intended to propose to Sakura in front of all of his friends. Unfortunately, the party was horrible. Lee got a hold of some wine and then it went all downhill from there. Sakura left early when the punch bowl ended on top of her head. Naruto almost swore off parties from then on. Luckily for him, Sakura came back to help clean-up and found the velvet box with her name on it. Her answer made the party the best one ever.

End of line.

#36 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Jan 28 2012, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me the lack of inspiration was that most of the prompts have been too distant from a good relation to Naruto and too western culturally dominant in focus- they just didn't spark any "Naruto" related creativity for me. Now had they been prompts for Buffy and Spike (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Rogue and Gambit (from X-men comics), or Guy and Ice (from Justice League comics) totally different story. I know several times I thought, "hmm that makes me think of Spike and Buffy/Rogue and Gambit/Guy and Ice..."

Edited by ciardha, 29 January 2012 - 05:00 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#37 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 28 2012, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me the lack of inspiration was that most of the prompts have been too distant from a good relation to Naruto and too western culturally dominant in focus- they just didn't spark any "Naruto" related creativity for me. Now had they been prompts for Buffy and Spike (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Rogue and Gambit (from X-men comics), or Guy and Ice (from Justice League comics) totally different story. I know several times I thought, "hmm that makes me think of Spike and Buffy/Rogue and Gambit/Guy and Ice..."

Some of the prompts are more universal than others (i.e. Decorations, Gifts, Icicles, Kiss, Lights, Parties, Traditions). There's no rule that says that you have to do all of the prompts or do them in order. Maybe you could start with "Kiss" and then go from there.

Also, don't limit yourself to thinking that if the prompt is more in tune to western culture, it could never fit into the Naruto relm. This is where you have to get your creative juices flowing to try and see if you could make it work. Most of them fit with the western notion of holidays because that's probably what everyone is more familiar with. These prompts can be AU as well. I know that there have been a few prompts that have already been written that took place in the Naruto-verse, so it can be done. Just takes a little imagination.

Of course, you could still write prompts with Buffy and Spike, I just don't know if you could post them here.
End of line.

#38 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Jan 28 2012, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there was anything that Naruto knew how to do; it was to throw a party. This Christmas he intended to propose to Sakura in front of all of his friends. Unfortunately, the party was horrible. Lee got a hold of some wine and then it went all downhill from there. Sakura left early when the punch bowl ended on top of her head. Naruto almost swore off parties from then on. Luckily for him, Sakura came back to help clean-up and found the velvet box with her name on it. Her answer made the party the best one ever.

For a moment, I was imagining Sakura leaving with the punch bowl on her head. laugh.gif It's a bit out-of-character for her, but a great visual.

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 28 2012, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gambit/Guy?

I don't read yaoi, but I'd almost have to try reading that.

#39 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Jan 29 2012, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a moment, I was imagining Sakura leaving with the punch bowl on her head. laugh.gif It's a bit out-of-character for her, but a great visual.

Gambit/Guy?

I don't read yaoi, but I'd almost have to try reading that.

laugh.gif You gave me the big laugh of the day. Gambit having a fling with a man, I could see that (ala the fling David Bowie and Mick Jagger had, with Gambit being the one more like Bowie.... Guess that makes Guy Mick Jagger laugh.gif

#40 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Jan 29 2012, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the prompts are more universal than others (i.e. Decorations, Gifts, Icicles, Kiss, Lights, Parties, Traditions). There's no rule that says that you have to do all of the prompts or do them in order. Maybe you could start with "Kiss" and then go from there.

Or "resolutions". Promise of a Lifetime and Sakura's own resolution to herself in response? And then their subsequent resolutions.

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 29 2012, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif You gave me the big laugh of the day. Gambit having a fling with a man, I could see that (ala the fling David Bowie and Mick Jagger had, with Gambit being the one more like Bowie.... Guess that makes Guy Mick Jagger laugh.gif

Yeah, but I'm not really seeing Guy as Mick. Mick doesn't have that jock vibe. Maybe Bruce Springsteen, but the politics is off. Or a country artist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users