3357 replies to this topic

#3301 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:08 AM

Just when I think the manga can't piss me off any further it manages to to so even more. Now we have, what the mangaka is trying to play off as some next level cooking tricks but come off as a cheap party trick, Also the way Megumi's resolve and determination was brushed aside pissed me off as well.

Asahi might just be the worst antagonist I've ever read in a manga, he's not well written, he lacks any redeeming features, he's more annoying than anything else, he's OP in a bad way, like he was written by a OC by a 12 year old fanfic writer, he makes the filler enemies in all animes look like masterpieces in comparison. I thought Azami was one of the worst antagonists I'd read in a popular manage, but compared to Asahi he was CP9 level.

iAnby7W.gif

#3302 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

Well Anyway, I am hoping that Soma helps with Erina's issues next chapter but not in a way that makes her dependent on him. And it looks like I was right, she became stone cold because she wants to prove her self to her mother to the point where her character development is shut down but not regressed per say.

On the subject of Asahi being a school grader written villain, well That should have been seen coming a mile a way because he was already ridiculous as is (stealing other's skills through their knives and cooking tools) so I'm not even insulted or bothered by it, because by that alone I could tell Azami is an Masterfully written villain compared to this guy. But like I said I care nothing for him other than that he is made to push the Sorina ship so to speak. Megumi I AM upset about but we can't say we didn't see it coming right? Because obviously she is not the one to win against Asahi (the typical villain plot armor), it would either be Soma or Erina if we really want to stretch it 

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#3303 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:49 AM

So, remember last chapter where Asahi had that weird shounen spirit guidance from all those cheif he defeated? Well...Souma got his this time from the various servers and mentor he had from working in restaurants telling him to keep going.

#3304 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:01 AM

Hey at least I don't find it as insulting as the time he went against Somei, and called thinking of his friends and their inspirations on him as a "team effort" :ermm:

Edited by Phantom_999, 14 April 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#3305 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

So, remember last chapter where Asahi had that weird shounen spirit guidance from all those cheif he defeated? Well...Souma got his this time from the various servers and mentor he had from working in restaurants telling him to keep going.

I thought that part was acknowledgement from the mangaka that he knows how stupid Asahi's ability is with him gaining the original users skills b stealing their knives.

I liked this weeks chapter, it was probably the best one in the arc so far, though it doesn't take much to be that. It was back to basics. I wonder if this is going to be the final arc, with Asashi it feels like they've painted themselves into a corner, and it will be difficult to continue with any other challenges after this.

iAnby7W.gif

#3306 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

I thought that part was acknowledgement from the mangaka that he knows how stupid Asahi's ability is with him gaining the original users skills b stealing their knives.

I liked this weeks chapter, it was probably the best one in the arc so far, though it doesn't take much to be that. It was back to basics. I wonder if this is going to be the final arc, with Asashi it feels like they've painted themselves into a corner, and it will be difficult to continue with any other challenges after this.

...This honestly is other then those few chapter that were setting up Erina and Souma are realizing their feeling for each-other.

The problem is their really not anything left to do after this arc. Souma has three goals starting out: become the best chief in the school (got by defeating Azami,) defeat his father (which he'll get or be on his way to doing by defeating Asahi,) and find a girl that he wants to give all his cooking to (this arc again is hinting that Erina and Souma are at least going to discover they have feeling for the other.) I could see them pulling out one or two more arc but that's it. One being defeating foreign chief around the world, the other being the final fight where Souma fights his father with Erina being the judge.

#3307 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

I'm of the same opinion. But you never know. shonen series have continuously been stretched before, even when they are already ripped in half, But I suppose those are the giant money makers the company doesn't want to let go of. This is average at best in terms of sales and popularity so I suppose it ends when Tsukuda says it ends. But again I think this opens up a new can of worms, because apparently it is that easy to be better than Soma's father now so I guess they will BS new chefs that are more talented than Joichiro if they really want :ermm:

#3308 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:43 PM

I had to praise last weeks chapter, so it's natural this weeks chapter was a disappointment, out of all the foodgasm dishes this looked like the least impressive one to date, it looked bang average with a bunch of different idea's thrown into a pie crust...kinda laughable that this is meant to be the ultimate dish from all the dishes we have seen in the manga to date and it looked more like a dish a student would throw together on a late Friday night, just throwing in everything that was left in the cupboard.

Edited by harry4e, 22 April 2019 - 10:44 PM.

iAnby7W.gif

#3309 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:33 PM

The elegance of pie......... yay ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#3310 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

Guess who is back. Back again. Azami back. Back again. Now its time. Time for backstory. And to groan. Now its time to try and redeem him. Or give some justification.

#3311 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

Yeah. Although they are practically confirming Sorina at this point :hehehe:

Edited by Phantom_999, 19 May 2019 - 05:20 AM.

#3312 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

His reasoning still don't justify the means he used, specially as I would argue his method could accelerate Erina's spiral into despair, as having a global standard where dishes lack creativity, her god tongue would get tired of the same flavours, and would seek something more, and with everyone at the same standard it would be impossible for her to find it.

Also it might have had a better impact if this was done 2 years ago, instead of 12 months after the arc is over, when it just sounds like a retcon put in to make us try to like the lousy parent, because that's what Shounen manga's have to do, they have to justify the bad parenting.

Seeing parallels with Souma and Erina in that flashback, so it should mean that Souma and Erina are all but confirmed, but if this mangaka has been taking with Kishimoto or ended up with his editors, it means this is all a red herring and the final pairing is Megumi and Souma.

iAnby7W.gif

#3313 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:01 AM

Or even Ikumi X Soma, or Masyumi x Soma, or Kisako X Soma. give this series THAT MUCH credit at least, "Soma has options" :chuckle:

And agreed the bad parenting can never be excused by what he did nor does it make sense. If EVERY dish tasted the same then that means that eventually they would get bored of it and fall into despair all the same. IT HAPPENS, when someone eats the same food day after damn day. :ermm:

Edited by Phantom_999, 27 April 2019 - 05:01 AM.

#3314 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

So ultimate (possibly the penultimate) two battle dishes consist of a Pie and a fried rice dish, are we sure this isn't a ultimate dish for a student on a budget battle?

Oh well at the very least we are finally going to get to find out who the person was that tamed Jouchirou.

iAnby7W.gif

#3315 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

the is on only highlight I look forward to thus far recently (except for more Sorina in the future potentially)

Edited by Phantom_999, 28 June 2019 - 10:33 PM.

#3316 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

Oh we finally see the mother and her father...was hoping for more then a blond female Souma.

#3317 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

It was somewhat foreshadowed admittedly but agreed none the less. I actually want to see what chemistry the two had before they married and had Soma. And I wonder what happened to the grandfather after the mother's passing? I hope these details get delved into more at least. I'm not bothering with the Asahi drivel. That is the least interesting aspect of the series thus far. Even blander and more cringing to read than the Central arc.

Edited by Phantom_999, 17 May 2019 - 11:25 PM.

#3318 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Gotta say the personality doesn't completely surprise me, always had the feeling she would be a tomboy who was bad at cooking. Though I'm with Phantom_999 here, I was hoping for more interaction between the family members, from that flashback it could have very well been a random kid from the neighbourhood who hung out at the diner as he enjoyed watching the customers reaction to Tomako's cooking, and Jouchirou could have just been the regular chef.

It might be too much to ask for a mini-arc or side-story sometime in the future how Jouchirou ended up in a small diner in Japan, and falling in love with a girl who failed more times than she succeeded, though I can imagine it had something to be with her constantly challenging him despite the difference in skill, and falling in love with her ability to stand up and continue despite constant failures.

Edit: I will say this though, with the wild hair, you could imagine her being the daughter of Souma and Erina.

Edited by harry4e, 18 May 2019 - 11:22 AM.

iAnby7W.gif

#3319 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

That has to be the most anti-climatic end to a supposed ultimate chef, Asahi doesn't sound like he should have beaten Jouchirou at all, so I can't help but wonder if Jouchirou lost on purpose knowing he'd aim for Souma next, maybe he hoped to help both his sons, one to grow as a chef and the other to grow as a character.

I'd completely forgotten that this was the semi-final and the final will be next, lets see if the final will atleast somewhat redeem this mess of a arc even if a little bit, or if it will be a disappointment.

iAnby7W.gif

#3320 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

Anti-climatic, yes. But honestly since the Asahi subplot was so bad and ill planned out not to mention the arc itself was a piss poor shonen battle manga storyline that shouldn't have been included in the first place, I can't really complain about how it was resolved. It was the same thing with the central arc too. You solve an @$$pull WITH an @$$pull to my experience in shonen series and this has not changed, so whatever. I only hope that Tsukuda can redeem the little lost credibility towards Sorina just to set up this farce. Like, I know Soma is not the type to hold grudges and is understanding of Erina's circumstances, not to mention that Erina said only a small part of her wanted Soma to lose and only for her mother's sake,rather than preferring Asahi's ideology I guess. but I can't deny that the the potential ship took a small blow there just for the sake of drama and after building up the the potential of the couple too. Not to mention, Tsukuda is pushing for it subtly throughout the series 

Edited by Phantom_999, 25 May 2019 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users