8 replies to this topic

#1 Naruto_Sage

Naruto_Sage

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

Why is it that the ranking system is built around the number of posts you make instead of the quality of contents of the post you make. There wouldn't be any
'Necro-Posting' or 'Multi-Posting' if members would be counted on the Quality of the Substance of each posts. I know I am not the first to come forward and ask this question but I at least want a reason. As far as i have been informed there is no anything for good posts. I honestly believe that if there was something good for having quality posts that the majority of the topics would become more meaningful.

A LIVING LEGEND

#2 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:59 AM

I'm going to take a guess at several reasons why.

- Message boards are commonly made where the rankings only change based upon how many posts are made, regardless of their content.
- Content voting systems are often times abused and not used the way they were intended.
- Necro-posting can at times be rather legitimate. The ones who ruin it are those who 'abuse' it to up their post count. While this goes along with the point you made, necro-posting is not entirely negative, it's just more often perceived to be a negative thing, often unjustly.
- Multi-posting/double posting is going to happen regardless, likely because of new members who don't know the rules or (no offense to younger posters) young teens that just really don't give a damn.

As far as the rating of the quality of posts, it's completely subjective. Everyone is going to have a different opinion as to what qualifies a post for having 'quality'. Just like in real life where there are people who simply like to talk, on the internet there are people who simply like to post. I'm of the type where I only post if I have something worth saying. Kind of like now. There could be a system installed where people can click on the thumbs up or thumbs down for a poster, give karma or cookies or whatever the heck you wanna call it - but those systems are commonly abused. In the long run, the amount of karma or cookies doesn't really amount to anything other than a new poster thinking that maybe they should listen to what this person says. For established members, it doesn't really matter, because you know the poster relatively well anyway and have already formed an opinion about them.

As for rewarding people for having good quality posts, do you have any ideas?
- Give them a special user group and give them their own private forum depending on their rank? I've seen this done before, and those forums are dead. Might seem like a unique idea at first, but it gets old fast.
- Changing user names? This could be given on a merit status instead of having the 4 month wait period like it does currently, but personally I feel as if the whole name change thing is a pain in the arse anyway. I don't feel like having to figure out who people are over and over again every four months... but that's just me. I can't imagine the mods/admins are overly enthused about changing the same people over and over either, it's probably like a job.
- Moderation privilege? Unnecessary, all the admins are active enough and so are several of the mods. There really is no point to making more, unless there is someone who is an avid poster who maintains a constant presence in certain forums, like the Otaku, Writing, and Art areas. Even then, the people in those areas are usually always competent enough to where moderation really isn't necessary.
- Other low impact user groups? Certainly a possibility, I suppose. Say if the admins decided to grant someone a 'reliable poster', 'game master', 'lore master', 'video guru' types of titles with a little info bar like ANBU and the Kage's have, it should be possible. I don't know how much they feel like pampering the user base, though, nor do I know if they want it to fit with the overall Naruto theme. If that was the case they may need to get Naruto-ish titles for all the above things.

There really isn't a problem with the ranking system, and to be honest I have a feeling that a portion of the posters probably... just don't care. Post counts tend to get blown out of proportion when you have 'Meet and Greet' and 'Games' style forums anyway. If you want a real indication as to how 'reliable' a person really is, judge it based on their post count PLUS their join date. Those with older join dates and are still around to this day, while likely still having a decent (but not overblown) post count likely are the people who have things worth reading.

If someone has a high rank and a lot of posts, but a relatively recent join date - to me that just says a person talks a lot, but it's not all necessarily worth my time to read it. Especially posts that are five words or less. Ohhhhh those frustrate the hell out of me.

Edited by Paradox Jast, 27 July 2010 - 05:07 AM.

#3 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:18 AM

Why care about rank? If your participating it doesn't matter if your a Rookie or a Kage. Well that's at least my take on it kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

JLHza2T.png

#4 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

NarutoForums has something similar to what you're asking for. There's a rep system and members can give positive rep to other posts by other members that affect their rep. And like PJ said, it's horribly abused. For example, I've gotten reps before because of my avatar and I've seen others posters get them for the same or for their signature. I've also given them out for artwork that is posted, as opposed to the literary content of the post. It's something of a popularity contest at times - although most members don't get too wrapped up in it. You tend to get a few members that are very active in giving out reps and the majority don't.

In my opinion, adding a popularity contest here isn't necessary here and would actually be detrimental. We're a fairly small board after all. As to the other ways to recognize good posts, it adds a lot of work for the mods and would still be subjective.

#5 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Jul 27 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion, adding a popularity contest here isn't necessary here and would actually be detrimental. We're a fairly small board after all. As to the other ways to recognize good posts, it adds a lot of work for the mods and would still be subjective.

Exactly.

#6 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

Post counts don't matter. We still look at the quality of the posts.

If you're gonna spam such things as : "I agree", "Yes", "I agree with that.", "That sux." Well, those are horrible posts, and just add to your post count. But when other people see it, they might get a bad outlook. As that's pretty much spam-posting.

And, Paradox? I know what you mean with the less than 5 word posts. Those aggravate me to no end, especially if they don't contribute ANYTHING to the topic.

Posting more =/= make you a good forum poster. Posting less sometimes, and with good grammar/spelling and proper etiquette? That's the kind of poster I like.

Content voting? Look. People already abuse the rating system for the profile. Randomly giving people 1 stars? Not that I care, but it'll irritate some people.

#7 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:13 AM

besides, considering that those kind of system tend to make people become obsessed with getting lots of reps rather than really contributing. and "Quality-based" rating means that the mods will need to watch each and every post which I'm pretty sure that while some mods are active like Shauna and Derock, they simply can't b bothered with it not to mention that it will make this site too strict and less fun for most of us who come here just for the heck of it (like me?). I think the current system is good just like this smile.gif

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#8 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:54 AM

I would want to quote everything that PJ has said, but then there'd be this giant quote box right above my post. Basically PJ makes a lot of sense in his arguments and it's not as if anyone is forcing you to read every single post. I myself usually skim through threads and tend to pay attention more to those posters that have made quality posts in the past. I read through posts and when I recognize certain posters make posts that aren't really worth my time to read, I tend to just skim or skip over them. There isn't a real need for me to judge people based on their reps since I have my own opinion of them rather than some fancy title or rep icon and I choose to read their posts or not. I think that's what has been this site's strong point so far in the years I've been here, despite the fact that it was the first forum I ever joined and truly participated in. Everyone here is in a close knit group and form their own opinions of each other rather than basing it off of others' opinions. So personally I don't think there's a real need to have something like a "thumbs up" or what have you for this small community.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#9 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jul 27 2010, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
besides, considering that those kind of system tend to make people become obsessed with getting lots of reps rather than really contributing. and "Quality-based" rating means that the mods will need to watch each and every post which I'm pretty sure that while some mods are active like Shauna and Derock, they simply can't b bothered with it not to mention that it will make this site too strict and less fun for most of us who come here just for the heck of it (like me?). I think the current system is good just like this smile.gif

QUOTE (Onionhead Attacks @ Jul 28 2010, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would want to quote everything that PJ has said, but then there'd be this giant quote box right above my post. Basically PJ makes a lot of sense in his arguments and it's not as if anyone is forcing you to read every single post. I myself usually skim through threads and tend to pay attention more to those posters that have made quality posts in the past. I read through posts and when I recognize certain posters make posts that aren't really worth my time to read, I tend to just skim or skip over them. There isn't a real need for me to judge people based on their reps since I have my own opinion of them rather than some fancy title or rep icon and I choose to read their posts or not. I think that's what has been this site's strong point so far in the years I've been here, despite the fact that it was the first forum I ever joined and truly participated in. Everyone here is in a close knit group and form their own opinions of each other rather than basing it off of others' opinions. So personally I don't think there's a real need to have something like a "thumbs up" or what have you for this small community.

Everyone's pretty much said it all. Thanks for helping to explain everyone happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users