20 replies to this topic

#1 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

The other day I got a review criticizing my inability to rate my story properly. They complained that it should have been rated T when I gave it an M rating. When I wrote the story, Women of Venus, I gave it an M rating because the story was centered around Sakura trying to get into Naruto's pants. There was no lemon or overt sexual language, but it's pretty clear that there are sexual situations. Apparently, that reviewer thought the story should have been rated T.

Am I just getting too prudish in my views on what should be rated M, or is it that readers now a days are so desensitized to sex and violence that things that should be rated M they think deserve a lower rating? Did I just overrate this story because I'm so out of touch with today's standards? sweatdrop.gif

I almost feel as if the average reader is expecting too much when they read stories and they see the higher rating. Is there some unspoken rule that all M fics have to contain hardcore sex and violence?

Edited by AchikaMiyu, 10 February 2008 - 08:16 PM.

End of line.

#2 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

Lol I don't think you should be too worried about it. T = 13 or older while M = 16 or older.

The rating system for fanfiction is confusing and I don't think many people bother with it. If you are going to include heavy sexual innuendo than you should be safe with an M rating.

I don't know but my stories are rated M simply for language and hardcore violence. Even if you aren't writing a lemon or something, but you are implying sexual references then you should be fine with an M rating. I think your one reviewer might just have been overt in his/her thinking.

Btw, your link doesn't work. mellow.gif

#3 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Okay, I'll be honest here. There's no real way of knowing what the standards are for M anymore as far as fanfics go...well, in my opinion at least. I've read things that I didn't know were possible in the Narutoverse...so as far as your story goes for rating, M is fine...though I guess that may a bit mellow compared to some other things. Like TrueSalvation said, don't worry about it. People will probably read it regardless of rating, but the fact that you gave it the rating you did for those reasons is good. Either way, I hope that won't deter you from working on your story! :thumbs:

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#4 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (TrueSalvation @ Feb 10 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol I don't think you should be too worried about it. T = 13 or older while M = 16 or older.

The rating system for fanfiction is confusing and I don't think many people bother with it. If you are going to include heavy sexual innuendo than you should be safe with an M rating.

I don't know but my stories are rated M simply for language and hardcore violence. Even if you aren't writing a lemon or something, but you are implying sexual references then you should be fine with an M rating. I think your one reviewer might just have been overt in his/her thinking.

Yeah, I felt pretty confident in how I rated my fic. I guess my biggest gripe is whether or not readers now a days are expecting more out of higher rated fics than what should be in them. I mean, just because the fic is rated M, doesn't necessitate that there has to be a lemon or someone has to be killed in a highly grotesque manner. I know that I've read some fics that were rated T or even lower that had graphic lemons or crude violence. Is this some trend or just an abundance of inexperienced writers?

Btw, your link doesn't work. mellow.gif

Fixed. :thumbs:
End of line.

#5 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

Huzaah!!! I shall start reading! rawr.gif

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#6 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

I think it was rated correctly.

I would've felt very uncomfortable explaining to anyone why I thought it was appropriate material for a 13-year old child.

#7 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:09 AM

There are several reasons for rating a fic M. Sexual situations have varying degrees, but I think if they start playing a major role, it should be M. And sometimes the plot of the fic is reason enough to rate it M. Like if it centers around someone being raped, is meant to be a psychological thriller (though I've yet to see anyone pull one off), or if the fic gets so dark that the protagonist could go either way. Simply put, if you feel kids can't handle it, or aren't mature enough to appreciate it, give it an M rating.

I should note that for my story, one of my reviewers said that one of my later chapters, where Naruto and Sakura were oogling each other in their swimsuits (which weren't that skimpy to begin with) alerted him to the M rating. Well, I think the first chapter should've tipped him off, since Sakura saw Naruto's thing, and gives the audience a good idea of which extreme it lies. Not to mention I put one of my female OCs through an absolutley terrible ordeal that made Rick want to vomit as he told me, and Naruto had to go through a genjutsu that I'm sure would've drived everyone mad. Those incidents I think justified my rating, but appearently one where I thought was T was viewed as M by another. Oh well.

#8 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:54 AM

I know when i started reading fanfiction on FF.net, Lemons weren't allowed at all, that was what adultfanfiction.net was for.

I honestly belive a M rating is valid for any story that would be a R rated movie like, swear alot, any type of adult content(sexual references, and themes) heavy violence not generally part of the manga or anime(Naruto gets pissed, enters Kyuubi state, and slaughters someone) or such cases were rape is mention.

T i belive would be like what you would find in the manga or anime maybe a "what the hell?" or something that is swearing but not um Hidan worthy

K and K+ are ones where I ain't sure many people that read fanfiction enjoy anyway. espessially in Naruto where the general concepts are coming of age and dealing with life as a ninja (try writing a story about a soilder in a war zone and make it simplified for someone 5 and up can understand)
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#9 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:58 AM

Well, rating it M is pretty much safe for sexual situations. T = around 15 i reckon. Teenagers. M = sexual stuff, swearing etc. No biggie.
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#10 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

I usually rate my stories after how graphic the story is. I think that we would be stupid to think that the mention of sex justifies an M rating in our days, since kids know about this stuff, and they have heard most swearwords and even use words I haven't heard before myself. The times change fast, and if you're over 16 now, I'd say the younger generations and yours already has a gap between them filled with various innuendo and information we didn't have at that age ourself. When rating a fic, the use of "bad words" like kitten and damn for instance does not justify an M rating, but neither does mentioning that your characters may or may not have had sexual releations with eachoter.

When rating a story, I'd say the level of how graphic your story is. If you write gory scenes wich you strive to make as graphic as possible, and you write graphic sex scenes where you describe movements, explains anatomy and how it is manipulated in your lemons, and very very dirty language... I'd say you might rate it M. However, kids see titts and ass on the tv every day, and thinking that because a kid is 13 years old he doesn't know about sex... well it makes me laugh, since that makes you naïve and too cute for words as you live there in your little fantasy world with pink fluffy clouds and world peace.

But of course, its all a matter about how picky you are about this stuff.. Religion might also fall into play, since some religions don't look too kindly on their children reading about two people going at it like rabbits in heat. Instead of a rating system, I would have added a warning like "Warning: This story might contain graphic scenes of sexual nature/gore."

Then again, if you feel like your story justifies an M rating, and that you want people to know that you might have a pottymouth, its all up to you what to rate it, and you should not let what one reviewer think get on your shoulders.

#11 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

Well, I've never written anything around those subject lines... so I've managed to escape the ratings problem.

However, back then... like a few years ago... fanfiction.net was still hosting lemon and lime fanfiction and they were given the NC-17 and R ratings. Well, that was when they were still going by the G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17 scale. Of course there was a warning/permission pop-up asking about the reader's age before they were allowed to view the story, though it was rather pathetic if you ask me... Anyways, after they banned lemons people started labeling their lemons as R to get around the rules. Shortly after I think, if memory serves me right, they changed the rating system to what we know now, K, K+, T, and M. Even then some people are still posting their lemons as M when they should be MA.

I think your reviewer was thinking along the lines of M = lemon and T= anything with sexual content, while not actually a lemon. Either that or your reviewer needs to think about the rating scale a bit more.

P.S. I've been around fanfiction.net since late 1999 so I've seen most of the phases that it has gone through. Even its Original fiction and colorful phases XD. I'm sure there are few others here that has been around ff.net as long as me.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#12 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

So if M=lemon, what does an MA=?

As I understand it, lemons mean that they're graphically explicit and the limes are the softer stuff. So is MA = XXX?

#13 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Feb 12 2008, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I understand it, lemons mean that they're graphically explicit and the limes are the softer stuff. So is MA = XXX?

There is no MA on Fanfiction. The highest you can go is M.

#14 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Feb 11 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since M used to = R and MA = NC-17/lemon... right now I have the slightest clue after all the rating messing people have done. So if I were to assume, I'd call it a super lemon that would have you knocked out for a few weeks and have a massive nosebleed?

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#15 jim1982

jim1982

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:21 AM

Yea i was shocked after i went back to reading stuff on FF.net (I used to read Danny Phantom fanfics on there like 5 or so years ago) Then i can't remember if there was a big deal on the ratings system because if it featured lemons or strong sexual content or strong violence or language, it was suspoce to go on adultfanfiction.net

Now I see the same stories posted on both sites from time to time (though AFF.net has no filters for anything so ya get all the popular pairings and all sorts of stuff, though kaksaku is popular on AFF.net)

so yea I think now days one can find lemons in T rated stuff on FF.net (I have and was like "WTF? i thought this was teen!") so in a way, it almost seems that the rating system on FF.net is more or less a warning like "You should be save reading this but it might be rated way off base"

on a side note: I have seen swearing in K+ fics and found M rated fics that had no swearing, violence, leamons or limes. just some light fluff(he kissed her and they were happy stuff) so yea draw your own conclusions on that lol

#16 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:31 AM

I don't deny people younger than 17 are reading M fics, because some are reading mine. It's no big deal, really, as so many kids get their hands on anything. I'd say the ratings are just warnings you MIGHT be offended, as opposed to actual restrictions.

By the way, what's the difference between lemons and limes? Do limes simply describe the characters going only 2nd/3rd base, or have descriptions of nudity but no contact? I'm confused.

I must also say that I doubt most people read fiction that is K-K+, although some are well done.

Edited by Kodachi Claws, 12 February 2008 - 04:32 AM.

#17 jim1982

jim1982

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

I honestly have no clue on how the citrus fruits go I even heard of an orange in a story once though i bet some people think we are talking about making fruit juice lol sweatdrop.gif

#18 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

God, I'd hate to think what sort of standards will be the norm in a few years when my daughter's old enough to use the computer. I guess it just goes to show that kids will find ways to bypass any sort of warning or filters. And that's what warnings really are, warnings. Just because someone says that you shouldn't do something doesn't mean that they're not going to do it. Heck, half the M fics these days are written by 13 year olds with no clue anyways. Which makes me wonder which is worse, those who are underage reading heavy M fics or those writing them? sad.gif

In conclusion, I'm just getting old. :shamefulcry0js:
End of line.

#19 jim1982

jim1982

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

You and me both Achika lol

At least there is some authors out there that are older than 16 writing good fics and are properly rated, of course i am refereing to the ones that reside in these forums, to many to thank personally though lol

#20 MelisaArtemis

MelisaArtemis

*Meow*

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:my boyfriend,Narusaku,Ragnarok, Narusaku, Digimon 03, Narusaku fics, Games. have I mention Narusaku?

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

I think T are for stories that are mostly for people around the age 13 to 15. Violence, Sex innuendo, and slight cursing comes in this rating.

While M are stories for people with more mature mmind like about 17 and above. Graphic Violence, Sexual situations (not necessarry Lemon), and Heavy cursing like M-fcker, stfub should be in the stories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users