13 replies to this topic

#1 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Having only several music videos and one film under his belt, Kazuaki (a.k.a. Kaz) Kiriya still has a huge shadow to walk out from, being married to J-pop singer Utada Hikari. Fortunately for him his first film was Casshern, the live action adaption of the animated series of the same name, showing a flare for visuals and character depth. Now Casshern is a film that you either love or hate, for me, I'm on the love side, in fact I dare say its my favorite movie, but love it or hate it, you have to admit it was a giant undertaking for a first timer, especially since he took on the mantle of not only director but co-writer, cinematographer, editor, and producer. With that being said, news comes of his second shot at a feature, this time its based on original material. The story itself, supposedly is essentially Robin Hood's, where he robs from the rich and gives to the poor, but from the looks of the trailer there's a little bit more.

Feast your eyes.

For a film not based on an anime, the visuals themselves move strikingly like one. Chalk me up as one who's excited for this. a_spaz.gif

The film itself hits Japan theatres around May 2nd, there probably won't be any outer country showings other than at festivals, but I hope it comes to dvd sooner than Kiriya's predecessor did (2 years). I hope in Blu-ray too, (When the hell is Casshern coming out on Blu-ray, and if not, WHY?) tongue.gif

Edited by chouzu_tao, 04 February 2009 - 07:15 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Wow! The visuals are stunningly gorgeous wow.png

It's a shame that they don't release movies like this to the big screen in the US, with the *very* rare exception of movies like Crouching Tiger and Hero happy.gif

#3 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

Oh snap! This movie looks kick-ass! wow.png And I do wish the US release this as well...

though the Black Market will. tongue.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#4 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Feb 4 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
though the Black Market will. tongue.gif

SSsssshhhhh!!!! Is legend. It'll be ironic, cause it'll be like Robin Hood, from the rich to the poor. Arrrrrrrr. tongue.gif

Edited by chouzu_tao, 04 February 2009 - 07:10 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#5 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

I'm interested! wow.png

I've never seen Casshern, I guess I should try to find the DVD. happy.gif

#6 Dormin

Dormin

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Not an Orignal metrial Chouzu, more like a stylized historical epic.

http://en.wikipedia....Ishikawa_Goemon

I think it fits the movie preatty well nah?

Still looks like somthing worth watching.

Made by Vongola10th

"Someone shoot me..." - Kyon, cheerful as always

#7 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

I am shamed. :thumbs:

Needless to say, the original material was simply because I didn't do more research on the film, it does not in anyway reflect anything the director himself said. "BELIEVE IT!" facepalm.png

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#8 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Feb 4 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a shame that they don't release movies like this to the big screen in the US, with the *very* rare exception of movies like Crouching Tiger and Hero happy.gif

That's because, with the exception of a few movie theaters, companies such as Warner Bros., Fox, and MGM totally dominate US's movie distribution business, at least that's what I learned from my Acting class.

Anyway, the visuals are awesome. It really does seem anime-esque in my opinion. Blu-Ray FTW!

#9 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Feb 7 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's because, with the exception of a few movie theaters, companies such as Warner Bros., Fox, and MGM totally dominate US's movie distribution business, at least that's what I learned from my Acting class.

Anyway, the visuals are awesome. It really does seem anime-esque in my opinion. Blu-Ray FTW!

Seeing the trailer, Warner Bros. has the rights, so I can bet we will see it in theaters in America. What surprises the crap out of me, is the fact it looks like a lot of money was spent on it. Japanese live-action movies generally don't have a lot of money to use, so....

#10 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Apr 11 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seeing the trailer, Warner Bros. has the rights, so I can bet we will see it in theaters in America. What surprises the crap out of me, is the fact it looks like a lot of money was spent on it. Japanese live-action movies generally don't have a lot of money to use, so....

Actually the guy that directed it. This is his second movie, but his first one was stylized and expensive like that as well.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#11 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Feb 4 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's that guy saying? What's he saying? What about him? Oww! man reading the subtitles are hurting my eyes and making me miss the picture. biggrin.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 12 April 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#12 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Apr 11 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's that guy saying? What's he saying? What about him? Oww! man reading the subtitles are hurting my eyes and making me miss the picture. biggrin.gif

Man, i would feel sorry for you but, don't you watch anime? tongue.gif

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#13 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Apr 11 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, i would feel sorry for you but, don't you watch anime? tongue.gif

I was being sarcastic to begin with, pretending to be a bad critic, and yes i watch sub-anime. tongue.gif

#14 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

Just downloaded and saw the movie....the end...Dear God, the end.... So...Manly Tears-inducing... shamefulcry0js.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users