Close
Photo

Do you guys think Manga/Anime will suffer in the West once Naruto ends?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:55 AM

Ok so before anyone calls me an idiot and tell me that Naruto is just one Manga and won't affect Manga and Anime popularity in the West, let me explain what I mean.

I'm talking about attracting a new fanbase, specially the younger generation, Naruto for me is like the ultimate newbie friendly Manga, it has a likeable main charactor with a hard childhood that has you rooting for him, and the art is tasteful without many ecchi moments so you wouldn't have a problem recommending it to your nephew or something. Before Naruto there was DraganBall Z, now Naruto is the manga probably most people read first when they get interested in the genre, I know it was the first Manga I read seriously, and pretty much everyone I know who started reading Manga in the past decade.

While there are still some great manga's out there, I can't think of any new or ongoing manga (or anime) that someone who is new to the genre and still quite young would be able to pick up and enjoy. With One Piece the art at the beginning can put off allot of people, plus as the manga progressed the female charactors wore less and less so it could leave the wrong impression. Same could be argued with Fairy Tail, and even Bleach, and those are the more kid friendly Manga's I can think of, well except maybe Pokemon but that's a anime that you can watch and still not get interested in Manga/Anime, or atleast it was when I was a kid.

So what do you guys think, will the end of Naruto lead to a decline in newcomers getting into Manga? And if not, what manga's do you think will take it's place as the manga/Anime to read/Watch if you are new to the genre?

iAnby7W.gif

#2 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

No because anime and Manga's been around for years.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#3 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

I'd like to say no.

Seeing how my first anime was Ravemaster which was airing on CN at the time so that's what I watched.

With Toonami still airing various shows like SnK, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, and FMA I don't believe there will be a decline.

If there is it'll be small.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#4 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

You know it's not like it's disappearing... Naruto will always be there for people to rewatch and reread whenever they want.

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#5 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

It's an interesting topic for sure. I think anime will be just fine, as it has a pretty steady fanbase and Naruto and other anime still air regularly.

But you're right, Naruto is a real accessible anime that can be picked up right away. It's kind of an interesting time right now with two of the "Big 3," Naruto and Bleach, both coming to an end soon. 

It's really the end of an era.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#6 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

I'd like to say no.

Seeing how my first anime was Ravemaster which was airing on CN at the time so that's what I watched.

With Toonami still airing various shows like SnK, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, and FMA I don't believe there will be a decline.

If there is it'll be small.

Yeah but see these are all older animes you mentioned, kids in general don't get interested in older stuff from the start, and that's what i'm talking about, I know the current fanbase isn't going to disappear, but the newer generation need a new anime/manga to get them hooked on to the genre,  yeah the ones who come into the genre when they are older will have plenty to choose from but for youngsters I can't think of one ongoing manga or anime that I can recommend, Fairy Tail is the only one that comes to mind, but even that one has Lucy getting stripped of her clothes every arc now, (specially the current arc, none of the females were spared.)

With Naruto I can as an adult easily recommend, if has a couple of moments early on like Naruto's sexy Jutsu, but other than that it's suitable for kids, yet it has a deeper story in it, that you don't normally find in western Cartoons. It would introduce them to the strong points of Manga without overexposing them to the other side that can be considered unsuitable. They don't make Manga's like Naruto anymore, honestly if you guys had a 10 year old Nephew or Niece and you had to recommend a new (or ongoing manga) to them what would you recommend to them? One that you can recommend to them and not worry about their parent beating you up if they sat down with them to watch the anime.

Before Naruto there was Dragonball Z, that was universally accepted, but right now i'm drawing a blank...and you need a universally accepted manga to introduce the younger generation. Like in Gaming you introduce your kids to a game like Mario, you wouldn't stick them with Dark Souls and expect them to fall in love with the genre. Naruto is the current Mario of Manga.

iAnby7W.gif

#7 Rabbit

Rabbit

Pappaparapappapa

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Being peculiar. Travelling around the world. Shoujo manga. Obsessed with cats. Jelly beans. NicoNico. SPLATOON. Honeyworks.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I don't think so. Fans might be affected due to their favorite series ending but I don't think it will affect greatly in the industry of anime and manga.

Shall we skate?❄❄

5a8024b87c1bc97de775cb6fa0967ff9.gif

#8 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

It will.  

Of course America has Toonami, which is literally anime's life support in America right now. Years ago there were at least 6 different channels that showed anime on cable, even if it was on a network's block. But now, the only known channel that shows anime is Cartoon Network. Oh, and Nicktoons. 

Also consider the fact that Sunday morning cartoons (non-cable) are dying off completely now. This was also a gateway for kids to get interested in anime. 

And from personal experience, I know a lot of people who've never watched any type of other anime, but are so quick to pick up on a topic about Naruto or Pokemon. Sometimes they'll even know more than me! Back when I was in high school I remember it didn't matter if you were the jock, the trouble-maker, or the advanced placement kid. Everybody knew Naruto. 

And it was like this when DBZ had it's success too. Even if you didn't watch it, it was a household name. And so was Pokemon. and Yu-Gi Oh. But when these shows decline, and there are no networks bringing their A+ game in showing anime, eventually the wave will decline.  

Even manga-wise. There are people who only read the Naruto manga exclusively. They don't care about other stories. So when Naruto ends then that's the end of their "anime/manga" experience. I believe there's a lot more of these types then there are avid readers of general manga to be honest. Specifically because those are the types of readers that you get when a series becomes so, so popular. It's bound to happen. A lot of people choose not to explore other titles it seems. 

So now all we can really do is wait for the next big "wave" of titles. It'll have to be a bigger mega-popular shows like Attack on Titan or Hetalia, and that's a really hard thing to accomplish. So it'll probably take more than a few words to see what it'll be. Think like this: 

America: 

Astro Boy->Speed Racer->DBZ->Naruto->???

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#9 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

America: 

The next one could range from anything from Attack on Titan to Boku no Pico. We have no idea where the market will lead (more than likely to the former than the latter).

#10 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

America: 

I think that it is more like this:

Astro Boy->Speed Racer->Battle of the Planets->Robotech->Voltron->DBZ->Sailor Moon->Pokemon->Naruto->???

Anyway, yes, I think that manga and anime in America will go in decline after Naruto ends (and it has actually declined since the nineties if you ask me. And it has also been declining for a while in Japan. Surely, some series like One Piece sells a lot, but sales levels have dropped in general), and it will do so until the next mega-popular series renews interest in Japanese entertainment.

The thing is... I am not sure of how long it will be until a new series with mass appeal shows up. Right now manga and anime industry in Japan is focused on the otaku target (i. e., people who are already fans) and not on crafting gateway series or shows with popular appeal. And you need a series with popular appeal for this (like someone has already said, if you want to get your children into games you put in their hands a Mario game, not Dark Souls).

I foresee someone protesting "But Attack on the Titan, Fairy Tail...". And my answer is: Those series are popular IN THE ANIME FANDOM. But how many people in the mainstream knows about them or has got interested in anime after watching them? I do not know what it is like in America, but in my country you ask random people what Attack on the Titan, Fairy Tail or Bleach are and NOBODY knows them. However you ask people in their thirties and forties what Mazinger-Z, Alps no Shojo Heidi and Battle of the Planets are and everybody remember them (and even younger people knows who Kouji Kabuto or Heidi are). You ask who Goku is and EVERYBODY know him.

Therefore, it needs being a series with popular appeal that becomes mainstream instead merely being popular between anime geeks such like us.

I do not imagine what that series will be like, but if I think about it, series that become mainstream use to be shonen manga/anime, aimed at teens or young kids, and they tend to be idealistic with some darker stuff thrown in.

A lot of people choose not to explore other titles it seems. 

I agree and sometimes it frustrates me. There are SO MUCH good stuff in anime and manga to discover, but most anime fans are young kids or teens that only are interested in reading whatever is popular right now or they are not interested in delving into their hobby at all.

But you can not force someone to develop a deeper interest in something, so that the only thing that you can do is shrugging read/watch whatever you like.

Edited by Jenskott, 26 October 2014 - 09:16 AM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#11 Sarahmint

Sarahmint

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:wonderfulandterriblethings.tumblr

Revolution on NarutoForums

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

Not at all!  Naruto is only one of MANY anime.  SnK stole Naruto's thunder.

Was once Sasuke's biggest fan.

And then chapter 699 happened.

He should have called Kakashi out on his hypocrisy,

instead he was left alone by Naruto...

#12 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

I think that it is more like this:

Astro Boy->Speed Racer->Battle of the Planets->Robotech->Voltron->DBZ->Sailor Moon->Pokemon->Naruto->???

Anyway, yes, I think that manga and anime in America will go in decline after Naruto ends (and it has actually declined since the nineties if you ask me. And it has also been declining for a while in Japan. Surely, some series like One Piece sells a lot, but sales levels have dropped in general), and it will do so until the next mega-popular series renews interest in Japanese entertainment.

The thing is... I am not sure of how long it will be until a new series with mass appeal shows up. Right now manga and anime industry in Japan is focused on the otaku target (i. e., people who are already fans) and not on crafting gateway series or shows with popular appeal. And you need a series with popular appeal for this (like someone has already said, if you want to get your children into games you put in their hands a Mario game, not Dark Souls).

I foresee someone protesting "But Attack on the Titan, Fairy Tail...". And my answer is: Those series are popular IN THE ANIME FANDOM. But how many people in the mainstream knows about them or has got interested in anime after watching them? I do not know what it is like in America, but in my country you ask random people what Attack on the Titan, Fairy Tail or Bleach are and NOBODY knows them. However you ask people in their thirties and forties what Mazinger-Z, Alps no Shojo Heidi and Battle of the Planets are and everybody remember them (and even younger people knows who Kouji Kabuto or Heidi are). You ask who Goku is and EVERYBODY know him.

Therefore, it needs being a series with popular appeal that becomes mainstream instead merely being popular between anime geeks such like us.

I do not imagine what that series will be like, but if I think about it, series that become mainstream use to be shonen manga/anime, aimed at teens or young kids, and they tend to be idealistic with some darker stuff thrown in.

I agree and sometimes it frustrates me. There are SO MUCH good stuff in anime and manga to discover, but most anime fans are young kids or teens that only are interested in reading whatever is popular right now or they are not interested in delving into their hobby at all.

But you can not force someone to develop a deeper interest in something, so that the only thing that you can do is shrugging read/watch whatever you like.

Very good post, completely agree. Japan Anime, Manga, and even Games industry has been lazer focused on the Otaku market, look at the gaming industry, a Decade ago, Japan was number 1 when it came to game sales worldwide, the likes of Capcom, Square Enix and Namco all made games that the rest of the world just couldn't get enough of, but then they stopped, they made the same games over and over again, to appeal to the same market and almost overnight the West took the lead and with th exception of a few games Japanese games became a niche market. You think about new games that have really done worldwide from Japan you think Dark Souls, as the only new franchise in the entire 360/PS3 era.

It might be an odd thing to say but right at this moment the best Universal Animes out there are not even made by Japan, We have Legend of Korra from Nick, and RWBY from RoosterTeeth, they both have the strong progressive story element you expect from a good Anime, with great battle scenes, good humour, and is suitable for kids. It's starting to feel like the West might end up taking something Japan did so well in the past and do it better, or atleast as well as they used to.

iAnby7W.gif

#13 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:13 AM

Very good post, completely agree. Japan Anime, Manga, and even Games industry has been lazer focused on the Otaku market, look at the gaming industry, a Decade ago, Japan was number 1 when it came to game sales worldwide, the likes of Capcom, Square Enix and Namco all made games that the rest of the world just couldn't get enough of, but then they stopped, they made the same games over and over again, to appeal to the same market and almost overnight the West took the lead and with th exception of a few games Japanese games became a niche market. You think about new games that have really done worldwide from Japan you think Dark Souls, as the only new franchise in the entire 360/PS3 era.

It might be an odd thing to say but right at this moment the best Universal Animes out there are not even made by Japan, We have Legend of Korra from Nick, and RWBY from RoosterTeeth, they both have the strong progressive story element you expect from a good Anime, with great battle scenes, good humour, and is suitable for kids. It's starting to feel like the West might end up taking something Japan did so well in the past and do it better, or atleast as well as they used to.

You know what's so weird is that even though Legend of Korra is massively popular, it still was pulled from it's own time-slot on Nickelodeon. And they say it's not a big deal, but it's always been in my eyes. Anything anime-influenced get's thrown in the bucket it seems. It shows that anime is somewhat a dying medium, especially when it comes to America. I still have hopes though, there's always that period of silence.  

And you're also right about gaming. Japan doesn't even top it's own market anymore, everyone began to rely on phone apps instead. Half of them don't even reach us overseas. But to be fair, the entire gaming industry is hitting a huge pitfall because of their excessive use of recycling titles and no originality. It's not dying (it's actually getting more popular), it's just about to hit a brick wall. 

And maybe that's what anime is coming to. A brick wall perhaps? Somebody with great originality will have to spawn out of nowhere, and his/her/their story will have to have a mass appeal among a certain community, so let's say- kids or an American appeal. For instance, everybody knew about "Afro Samurai" when it was released in America, especially since Samuel Jackson supported it.  

The easiest way to success is having an Western appealing character. Then make it for kids and adults (more fans). Then host it on a popular network (I'm thinking more of Comedy Central or MTV rather than white knight Cartoon Network). Mix that in with a good story, and you'd have yourself a huge hit.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#14 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

Y'know, reading this article from ANN really does show you how influential Naruto has been for the past 15 years:

https://www.animenew...comments/.80813

Take a look at the rookie mangakas' comments. Just like how DBZ influenced shonen mangas for the past 30 years, Naruto will most definitely be an influence for future mangakas in the next few decades. It will be a while until the next big thing comes. It's said that big hits like Naruto appears once a decade or so, so hopefully, the next one comes soon.

I pray to god that future generations do not repeat Kishi's mistakes, though. The one influence I can see from Naruto resonating with future mangakas might be shipping, though. Other than that, maybe Itachi/Pain archetypes. And villains with horrible pasts. But just like how the current generation put their own spins from DBZ's influence, hopefully future mangakas can improve upon the influence Naruto had.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#15 8Hogake

8Hogake

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

I hope not if they have so rushed ending like that.

#16 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

@codus n
Naru sasu rivalry, drama, battle choreography, and maybe ship... Nah I don't think it's gonna be shipping, but who know.

#17 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

Oh pfft. Wow. You guys want to know how influential it is?? Look no further than my country. Just now, the most influential news portal here updated with an article discussing the Last movie and NH. Said news portal is under the media group that can be likened to this country's version of the New York Times, Washington News Post and what have you. So, yes even they know what the deal is going on with the shipping.

@rocci: cb cek liat sana tuh kompas.com ada beritanya wkwkwk!!!!

Edited by Codus N, 09 November 2014 - 10:44 AM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users