Close
Photo

Greatest Gaming Moment/Achievement You Ever Had!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

Please list the following:

Name of the game/'s!

Greatest Achievement/Moment!

How you reacted!

Some of mine: Call of Duty Modern Warefare/Veteran Mode and doing the practice ship run at a little over 16 seconds (still no mile high club achievement sweatdrop.gif) w00t.gif Halo 2/Legendary on single player campaign (a lot harder than the other 2) party.gif Gears of War 1 (harder than the second one to me)/Defeating General Raam on single player campaign (after many different strategies i finally found one that worked for me) a_dance.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 30 August 2009 - 08:49 PM.

#2 Coupe

Coupe

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Random stuff

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

Devil May Cry 3.
Finally beating Dante must Die mode. Dear god. Words cant describe how I felt.

Mech Warrior 3
One of the first games I can remember beating. So long ago. I was so happy that i went and finished it again.

Edited by Coupe, 30 August 2009 - 04:37 AM.

Conversation between me and my awesome drama teacher whilst watching Alfred Hitchcocks The Birds.

Are the birds some kind of Communist secret weapon?
No Jordan.

Are the birds under some kind of mind control by Big Bird from sesame street? Will Big Bird turn out to be the murderer? Will that girl turn around and big bird is behind her and she gets stabbed in the face?
No Jordan.

Is this the chickens revenge on Colonel Sanders?
Yes Jordan, this is a movie about an all bird terrorist group, led by big bird, funded by Communists on a mission to kill Colonel Sanders.

Really?
No Jordan.

#3 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

Oldest one I can remember: Getting the Hadouken in Mega Man X without a guide. Everyone I told about it thought I was lying. It was the first time I felt like a gamer. happy.gif

#4 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

Not exactly a 'greatest,' but certainly a 'most memorable' moment, from more than a decade ago when I was still in Freshman\Sophmore level college. There was a pool hall\video game filled rec room in the basement of the cafeteria, where a number of (poorly maintained) arcade games resided. The particular one I was playing was Capcom vs. Marvel, and at the time (I got better) I absolutely stunk at it. Wasted way more money than I should have playing that game, and I couldn't beat any of the regular players (and few of the irregular players, either). It was an extremely popular game, almost always played in versus mode, so I had never seen the final boss level.

I was waiting there later than usual, one evening, for my girlfriend (later fiance, later long-distance-relationship-didn't-work-out-ex-fiance. Utterly irrelevant to the story, I know), when I noticed the game console was strangely unoccupied. I only had enough cash on hand for one game, but I decided to try my luck.

I had finally, for the first time ever, played against the computer all the way to where I was about to see the boss level -- in fact, was in the middle of fighting the boss -- when one of the regular competitors came by to play. I was ticked off, because I had never gotten that far before, and wanted my chance to beat the game (with no continues) to end well... but I didn't think I had much of a chance at success, because the guy who joined in was -- as I said -- one of the regulars. Not just any regular, either, but the best player on campus, who owned every record in the high scores on that game (and just about every other game in the arcade). Knocking this guy off the console was the usual daily past-time for just about every one of the players in that arcade, regulars and irregulars alike -- people would follow him around from console to console just to get a shot at him.

But, like I said, I was ticked off. And while he made no mistakes in his gameplay, I somehow was just that much more motivated than usual, and walloped him in record time. Only time I ever beat the guy (on any game in that arcade), and he was practically in shock when he lost.

Then again, that's pretty typical of me. I had similar incidents when playing other games, as well. Take Chess against my brother, for example, who at the time was an FIDE-ranked Candidate Master (peaked at 2246 points on the FIDE scale; had to look up his former title, because he hasn't played competitively in a long time and I forgot what the title was; essentially means he was one of the top 20,000 players in the world. Me? I never entered an official competition, but I was told my level on the FIDE scale would probably top off around 700, had I entered competition, which would put me below what the usual just-starting-out ten-year-old amateur could accomplish). I was ticked at him (as brothers often were), and decided to try my luck with what I knew as the Paris Defense (not, apparently, it's real name, but close. The actual opening I used was Paris Gambit). It's generally considered a suicidal opening in chess, but heck -- I almost never was able to beat him, anyway, so I might as well play something crazy, right? I've never beaten my brother worse in any chess game before or since. (hence my inclusion of that particular chess opening in Training for the Job).

Word of advice if you ever play any games against me: Keep me happy, and chances are you'll cream me; I'm just not very good at games when I'm in too good a mood. Make me angry, and expect a devastating loss.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#5 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

-Beating Super Ghouls N Ghosts twice

-Beating Halo 1-3 on Legendary

-Beating Gears Of War 1 and 2 on Insane

-Beating Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII when all of my characters were only at Level 30 or lower

-Beating all Resident Evil and Silent Hill games

-Beating every Mario NES/SNES/N64/Wii platformer game

-Beating every Sonic Genesis game

-Beating every Mega Man/Mega Man X game (except Mega Man 9 arg.gif)

-Beating all Phoenix Wright games without the use of a guide

I'll stop there lol.

uc.png

#6 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Utterly slaughtering Emerald Weapon the first time - legitimately, mind you; no Cait Sith here - was a very close, personal gaming victory for me. It's one of those things where you wish Achievements or Trophies had existed back then solely so you could prove you had done it. I had to settle for quick snapshots with a webcam.
bd5.jpg

#7 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Aug 30 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not exactly a 'greatest,' but certainly a 'most memorable' moment, from more than a decade ago when I was still in Freshman\Sophmore level college. There was a pool hall\video game filled rec room in the basement of the cafeteria, where a number of (poorly maintained) arcade games resided. The particular one I was playing was Capcom vs. Marvel, and at the time (I got better) I absolutely stunk at it. Wasted way more money than I should have playing that game, and I couldn't beat any of the regular players (and few of the irregular players, either). It was an extremely popular game, almost always played in versus mode, so I had never seen the final boss level.

I was waiting there later than usual, one evening, for my girlfriend (later fiance, later long-distance-relationship-didn't-work-out-ex-fiance. Utterly irrelevant to the story, I know), when I noticed the game console was strangely unoccupied. I only had enough cash on hand for one game, but I decided to try my luck.

I had finally, for the first time ever, played against the computer all the way to where I was about to see the boss level -- in fact, was in the middle of fighting the boss -- when one of the regular competitors came by to play. I was ticked off, because I had never gotten that far before, and wanted my chance to beat the game (with no continues) to end well... but I didn't think I had much of a chance at success, because the guy who joined in was -- as I said -- one of the regulars. Not just any regular, either, but the best player on campus, who owned every record in the high scores on that game (and just about every other game in the arcade). Knocking this guy off the console was the usual daily past-time for just about every one of the players in that arcade, regulars and irregulars alike -- people would follow him around from console to console just to get a shot at him.

But, like I said, I was ticked off. And while he made no mistakes in his gameplay, I somehow was just that much more motivated than usual, and walloped him in record time. Only time I ever beat the guy (on any game in that arcade), and he was practically in shock when he lost.

Then again, that's pretty typical of me. I had similar incidents when playing other games, as well. Take Chess against my brother, for example, who at the time was an FIDE-ranked Candidate Master (peaked at 2246 points on the FIDE scale; had to look up his former title, because he hasn't played competitively in a long time and I forgot what the title was; essentially means he was one of the top 20,000 players in the world. Me? I never entered an official competition, but I was told my level on the FIDE scale would probably top off around 700, had I entered competition, which would put me below what the usual just-starting-out ten-year-old amateur could accomplish). I was ticked at him (as brothers often were), and decided to try my luck with what I knew as the Paris Defense (not, apparently, it's real name, but close. The actual opening I used was Paris Gambit). It's generally considered a suicidal opening in chess, but heck -- I almost never was able to beat him, anyway, so I might as well play something crazy, right? I've never beaten my brother worse in any chess game before or since. (hence my inclusion of that particular chess opening in Training for the Job).

Word of advice if you ever play any games against me: Keep me happy, and chances are you'll cream me; I'm just not very good at games when I'm in too good a mood. Make me angry, and expect a devastating loss.

Desaix is teh Gaming HULK!!! rawr.gif

#8 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil - Defeating Maledict on Nightmare. Jesus Christ this was freaking impossible even when I had the Artifact but all of Maledict's attacks went right through it. I played this one level for at least over three hours and I still didn't get close and gave up. A week or so after I decided to try it again but looked up a strategy guide on tactics to defeat him. Took me another three hours before I started to do some real damage towards him and finally after another two hours I dodged all his meteor strikes and fired one right back at him.
game spoilers --Click here to view--
When the cinematic scene rolls and he grabs you in his mouth I was like "NOOOOOOO" since I thought I had died after getting so close, but then when the marine shoves the artifact in his mouth and kills him I "kitten YEAH"ed as the victory music rolled.
Yeah sure I wasted well over 70+ hours on the game, but it was well worth it in the end.

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction - Defeating Baal on Hell difficulty. This wasn't as hard since I had a level 91 Blizzard Sorceress but she was made for PvP so it was pretty crazy when I finally defeated him. After a while though, it gets pretty easy if you have the right character + gear. Only thing that takes time is leveling them up to 80-90 so you wont die simply by fighting his minions.

#9 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,841 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

One of the greatest achievements I had was beating a Sonic game, and that was Sonic Adventure. While I didn't officially complete it with all 130 emblems, I managed to conquered all the actions stages with all 6 characters and finished the Super Sonic story. Later on, I started finishing the previous games, except 3 because I still can't find a way to get out of that bumper at Carnival Night.

Now in the arcades, Marvel Vs. Capcom became another crowning achievement because I beat the game whole through without any continues, though, I believed the operator had set the difficulty on easy in its Test Menu.

Next was a couple of years ago. Tekken Tag Tournament was my first 3-D arcade to be finished all the way through and the funny thing was some of my classmates were trying to face me when I was almost about to fight Unknown, the final boss. I wasn't going to waste my time so I defeated them and reach the final round.

Oh, in handhelds, Pokemon Gold version was out and done.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#10 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

Later on, I started finishing the previous games, except 3 because I still can't find a way to get out of that bumper at Carnival Night.

You keep pressing up and down to gain momentum with the barrels.

That section used to vex me as a kid. I never got past it until years later specifically because of that damn barrel. The issue was that it required you to do something that you'd never been forced to at any point earlier in the game, so unless you possessed dumb luck you'd end up getting stuck there. I had always thought that to get it to go further and further down I needed to keep jumping on it, which as you can guess never works.

One of the very few instances of bad level design in the classic Sonic trilogy.
bd5.jpg

#11 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,841 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Aug 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That section used to vex me as a kid. I never got past it until years later specifically because of that damn barrel. The issue was that it required you to do something that you'd never been forced to at any point earlier in the game, so unless you possessed dumb luck you'd end up getting stuck there. I had always thought that to get it to go further and further down I needed to keep jumping on it, which as you can guess never works.

Thanks for the tip. I will use this when I get the chance to play it again... if I ever decide to play it that is. tongue.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#12 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, I remember in Final Fantasy VII Ruby weapon was the hardest for me to defeat. Defeating him was like a marathon almost. sweatdrop.gif

My favorite arcade i always liked to play was "Spider Man The Arcade" it had all of the spidy villains including a giant venom and sandman hanging on side of king pins balcony. The arcade could hold up to 4 player co-op and with 3 other characters to choose from other than spidy. I use to play the arcade every time i had a chance in my local towns skating ring and i could remember making it all the way through to Dr. Doom at the end of the game, man was i happy especially fighting almost all the spidy villains in a marathon paced game.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 30 August 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#13 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (True @ Aug 30 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction - Defeating Baal on Hell difficulty. This wasn't as hard since I had a level 91 Blizzard Sorceress but she was made for PvP so it was pretty crazy when I finally defeated him. After a while though, it gets pretty easy if you have the right character + gear. Only thing that takes time is leveling them up to 80-90 so you wont die simply by fighting his minions.

YUCK FEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It's an awesome accomplishment, knowing your hours of running Baal's dungeons paid off.

#14 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

Pulling that off though practically takes over your life. I dumped so many hours into that damn game. I've pumped more hours into Diablo II than I have any other game in history; barring Final Fantasy VII, which I've replayed a lot over the years.
bd5.jpg

#15 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:51 PM

- Beating God Hand on Hard using 24 continues, and Normal with none.

- S-ranking all of Devil May Cry 4.

- Beating Boss Battles on Intense in Smash Bros. Brawl with Captain Falcon (A character people don't typically suggest for it).

- Beating Fire Emblem 9 & 10 on Normal. Freaking forget Hard mode though...

- Finishing every Sonic game except the ones for Wii (And all of them 100% except the Advance/Rush games and the 2006 Xbox one).

- Gears of War on Insane by myself (Did the second one in co-op).

All I can think of right now. I think I'll go and try to beat Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V-rated...

#16 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

Hmm my greatest achievement? Back in the old arcade days. Went to one of my old after school hangouts at the mall a place called Tilt Arcade and had the longest winning streak in my life 157 straight matches on Mortal Kombat II. For what ever reason I was just in the zone and people just kept playing me. I used my best guy and feel he was still one of the best in the game Jax during that time. Ironically that is also my son's name its short for Jayson Xavier LOL. Totally unintentional although my wife thinks otherwise. I've had other streaks playing other games but none that long or that tough. I ended undefeated that day and went on to beat the game. The best 50 cents I've ever spent!

Other achievements:

Beating Dragon's Lair I and II on one try no continues.

Beating Space Ace on Hard on one try no continues.

I know I'm making myself look old LOL!

Beating Legend of Zelda both quests in 3 hours.

There are others just can't think of them right now.

Just noticed Daniee your from Michigan.

Well that's it for now.

#17 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:39 AM

When I finally defeated the boss from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. So many quarters lost while playing on work time...

#18 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Aug 30 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember that! What I did to get pass it was get a bubble shield, and just SPAM the jump button like hell. It WORKS. Never beat it with tails (since he couldn't do the bubble jump) until I found out about that. biggrin.gif

Anyway.

I got all perfects on the special stage levels on sonic 3 and knuckles recently. Took me 14 freaking years to do it. HAHA. biggrin.gif

#19 Shadowmoon~

Shadowmoon~

Procrastination Princess ♥

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:All things FUN! 8D

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Am I the first girl to post...?

laugh.gif

---

QUOTE (Ed-kun)
-Beating all Phoenix Wright games without the use of a guide

Wow! Another Phoenix Wright fan!

wow.png

Using a guide just doesn't give you that certain feeling of victory, when you are able to find a contradiction in a testimony, so I never did look at them as well.

rawr.gif

So, I was also able to beat the game without a walkthrough. happy.gif

---

@ Tekken

I am a Tekken SUPER fan.

Beating guys older than me, or those who thought that I would go down easy just because I was a little girl, was very awesome! rawr.gif

I just felt so happy! biggrin.gif

---

Those are what I remember for now, since I'm doing some homework.

tongue.gif

Maybe I will post some more later.

wave.gif

Edited by Shadowmoon~, 06 September 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#20 PeacefulPhoenix

PeacefulPhoenix

THE PANDACAPOLYPSE SHALL BE SWIFT AND FUZZY

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

Final Fantasy X International
Completing the Sphere Grid without using the Tonberry trick for a single character. When that last +4 evansion lit up for Lulu, I nearly cried. 100+ hours spent on just trying to prove to myself I could do it... then I did the Tonberry trick for everyone else because no way in hell am I facing Dark Aeon's without backup. :|

Pokemon Blue/Red
I spent hours on these games as a kid, managed to capture every single Pokemon ( mew included ) but Magmar. I spent an entire ride from Windsor to Montreal, a good 10+ hours, trying to find that elusive prick. When I finally caught the fool, completing the 150 pokemon list, I cheered... then went to bed because it was 9pm and I was like 4.

Dungeon Keeper 2
Beating the game. Not exactly a hard task, but I love the game so much biggrin.gif

Last Remnant
Two words. F*** YOU HELLGATE. That is all.

Max Payne 2
Beating it on hard. Oh Mona Sax, what I do to save you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users