• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I happen to be a moderator on another forum and I was just curious to see how it is dealt with here, slurs and whatnot that is.

I can see that it's not allowed in the rules of course, but when it happens, do you delete/edit the posts altogether? Do you always ban the offender for a week?

There's just some recent drama going around on the forum I happen to moderate around this issue. Since it's a gaming forum, of course you find members that thinks it's ok to use words like... well.. I'd rather not actually say the words here. But you know, like COD _ _ _ and things like that.

While we do moderate posts like that, the other side of the problem is, what if people are using these words to address their friends and neither side has any problem with the other using said language? Is it the moderators job to step in and say what friends can't say to one another? Should it matter if a 3rd party is offended if they aren't even the one being addressed?

Just curious to know how other forums deal with this issue. I suggested getting a filter to just cut out the problem entirely, but some felt that too many of the slurs could be used in everyday conversation -which is not really true- so it's still left to the moderator decision.

The next option we have is just a very basic list of the slurs that absolutely can't be used -which should be very small- and the rest are up for... 'debate' I guess you could say.

As a fellow moderator on my forum would say, "Thoughts?"?

Posted Image

Sig made by me though. XD

Check out my father and son Minato and Naruto group on FF.net
http://www.fanfictio..._No_Yaoi/74936/

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Just to avoid situations like what you're describing, we don't allow slurs of any kind here. Even in normal spoken conversation offline, slurs are considered negative and hurtful. Just because two people saying it to each other don't mind the negative connotations, someone else who hears the word(s) may not like what hearing them makes them feel. A forum is a public domain. If two people saying these slurs were in a private conversation where no one else could see what they were saying, then it would be totally fine to express whatever they wanted to each other alone. But on a public forum where anyone could read it, and yes there are many people who would take offense to seeing certain slurs, and many with good reasons as slurs *are* hurtful negative words, then those having the conversation really do negate the right to say the words without some form of moderation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users