• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#1 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:00 AM

Anyone else been watching this? Gurren-Lagann started its 27 episode run this spring. It's made by Gainax, the same studio that gave us FLCL and Neon Genesis Evangelion. The characters have been great and the story has been fast-paced and looks like it'll end up being quite epic - probably one of the better new series I've seen in a while...lots of action, crazy mecha battles, and just plain fun.

Anyway, for those interested, here's the wiki info:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Gurren_lagann

Here's the OP and ED:

OP - "Sorairo Days" by Shoko Nakagawa

ED - "Underground" by High Voltage

ED2 - "Minna na Peace" by Afromania

Thanks to Random Nobody for a link to download episodes:
http://forums.naruto...amp;postcount=2
(Complete series - episodes 1-27)

Edited by Dash, 15 August 2009 - 07:49 PM.

#2 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

Heck ya, its good.

Gainax fo life

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#3 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Unknown_Ninja @ Jun 20 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heck ya, its good.

Gainax fo life

Gainax always makes quality stuff...anyway it was just announced the show got licensed for a US release by ADV

#4 Random Nobody

Random Nobody

Don't Touch the Flag!

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Ramen, Videogames, Anime, Godzilla, Ramen, Horror Movies, NaruSaku, and Ramen

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:25 AM

Just noticed the thread for this show, can't believe I've missed it. This show is one of the reasons I haven't been on as much as I used to be. tongue.gif

Anyways here http://forums.naruto...amp;postcount=2

It has links to episodes 1-13.

If you like crack pairings go here

#5 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the links. Haven't visited narutofan in a while, so I'd never have found them.

Can't believe the series is over halfway done (there's a timeskip coming up soon, too)

#6 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

I just started watching this, too. XD

It's really good so far. smile.gif Episode 7 was emotional, wasn't it?

I really like how Gurren-Lagann revels in its sentai-ness and manliness, and isn't afraid to mock itself. XD

Definitely one to get on DVD when it gets an official English release.

#7 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

It's really good so far. smile.gif Episode 7 was emotional, wasn't it?

Episode 7? If you think 7 was emotional, then be prepared - episode 8 kicks everything up a few levels (one of the best episodes of any series I've seen in a while)

#8 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Whoops! I meant Episode EIGHT. happy.gif; "Farewell, Comrades!"

One hell of a rollercoaster.

(I've watched the first 15 episodes. laugh.gif)

Slight spoiler:

Nia's eyes scare me.

#9 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jul 10 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoops! I meant Episode EIGHT. happy.gif; "Farewell, Comrades!"

One hell of a rollercoaster.

(I've watched the first 15 episodes. laugh.gif)

Slight spoiler:

Nia's eyes scare me.

Ha, I was kind of wondering if you meant 8 - it was an intense ride, no doubt.

Nia's eyes are a bit disturbing...so's her hair, for that matter (especially in the scans of her after the timeskip).

Speaking of the timeskip, I'm hoping they can still keep up the pace - judging from the scans of the new character designs, the world seems pretty peaceful

#10 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Episode 17:

NOT ENOUGH OF TIMESKIP!YOKO.

Hmm, interesting episode. So Nia is related to this tribe and she's become possessed. There are also noticeable tensions in the government, could Rossiu's group possibly break away from Simon? He definitely has this air of "I'm the only one who's running things properly".

So Simon doesn't just have a new enemy to fear, he also has to worry about elements within his own side.

On a final note, Yoko looks even better, and I really like her new glasses. NOT ENOUGH SCREENTIME.

#11 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jul 27 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Episode 17:

NOT ENOUGH OF TIMESKIP!YOKO.

Hmm, interesting episode. So Nia is related to this tribe and she's become possessed. There are also noticeable tensions in the government, could Rossiu's group possibly break away from Simon? He definitely has this air of "I'm the only one who's running things properly".

So Simon doesn't just have a new enemy to fear, he also has to worry about elements within his own side.

On a final note, Yoko looks even better, and I really like her new glasses. NOT ENOUGH SCREENTIME.

I was disappointed that Yoko didn't stick around, but looking at the current situation (and the new OP animation) I'm sure she'll come back in time to help Simon, especially if the future episode previews hold up (highlight for spoilers) Rossiu arrests Simon for causing all of the "unnecessary" deaths and destructiion, and puts him in prison (possibly on death row). The other Gurren-dan members can't do anything, so Simon's on his own (and likely ends up working with Viral). As for Nia, I'm glad to see something happen to her character - her role was basically erased when the Helix King was beaten. Only question now is how long she'll stay "evil".

#12 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Yeah, it's good that Nia has a new role now. She was just... lightweight.
(Concerning your possible spoilers)

Yeah, it'd be great if things turned out that way. It'd be a twist. Imagine Yoko returning and helping Simon... I have to admit I have a kind of liking for Yoko/Simon... XD (I was actually a little disappointed to see Simon asking Nia to marry him...)

I wonder if Viral would actually be motivated to help Simon. It was interesting he was actually HELPING the humans return underground, instead of killing people. Considering his Ganmen is now busted, I wonder if he'll get a new one - or even co-pilot Gurren Lagann?

#13 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jul 27 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it's good that Nia has a new role now. She was just... lightweight.
(Concerning your possible spoilers)

Yeah, it'd be great if things turned out that way. It'd be a twist. Imagine Yoko returning and helping Simon... I have to admit I have a kind of liking for Yoko/Simon... XD (I was actually a little disappointed to see Simon asking Nia to marry him...)

I wonder if Viral would actually be motivated to help Simon. It was interesting he was actually HELPING the humans return underground, instead of killing people. Considering his Ganmen is now busted, I wonder if he'll get a new one - or even co-pilot Gurren Lagann?

I'd actually like Yoko/Simon (mainly for my apathy towards Nia - never liked the naive princess-type female leads); the show's got enough action and manliness happening, though, and I'd rather any romantic stuff stay well in the background.

I'd think it's almost a given Viral helps out in some way - it's no coincidence he's survived this long and possibly ends up imprisoned alongside Simon. Plus, there's the added conflicts he'd create if/when he joined alongside Simon and the others (especially with Yoko).

#14 sioms

sioms

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

It's like One Piece mixed with Gundam. biggrin.gif

"A man who rules with his left, rules the world."
-Ginpachi Nekota, recalling an old saying

Are you a Hajime no Ippo fan? If you are, visit our boards at http://westbound.pro...4.com/index.cgi

#15 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

I just saw Episode 21 this morning.

I'm so damn pumped up. XDD I can't wait for next week.

Spoiler:

I thought it was strange that Yoko became a schoolteacher, but it was a nice and humourous change of pace from all those battles we've seen in the past few episodes.

(Interesting Yoko kinda paused when she said Simon's name while teaching history)

Oh, I so called Viral co-piloting Gurren Lagann. XD

I wonder just what will happen when the Gurren-Lagann Brigade boards the Arc Gurren after the battle? How will Yoko react to Rossiu for sentencing Simon to death? How will Viral react to seeing the severed head of his creator plugged into a computer? How will the civilians react to seeing Simon alive and fighting?

#16 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:53 AM

The last 5 minutes alone earned enough for a 10/10 for the whole episode

Not that I didn't enjoy Yoko Yomako sensei's adventures (and standard Gainax-style fan-service). I'm glad they showed where Yoko disappeared to as opposed to her just showing up out of the blue.
(Interesting Yoko kinda paused when she said Simon's name while teaching history)

Yeah, that was...weird...kind of reminded me a bit of the end of episode 13 (Yoko's odd facial expression after telling Simon she liked Kamina). That pause and the scene with her atop of that tree with the kid revolved around remembering Simon, which was kind of touching (and had a bunch of Simon x Nia fans in a panic on other boards...pretty funny to read). I'm also glad Yoko had a chance to show she can still kick a** before Simon (and Viral) takes back the spotlight.

Anyway, next week can't get here quick enough. Arc Gurren-Lagann should make for some more intense action, and it looked like Simon's finally prepared to face Nia as an enemy (at least from the preview of a giant drill aimed straight at Nia/a projection of Nia).

#17 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

Agreed!

Oh, yeah, I was chuckling when a totally-p***ed Yoko marched back into her lodgings - and activated the secret panel containing her hardware. XDD

While I do admit to a little soft spot for YokoSimon, I'm not expecting it to happen. Still, amusing to hear that the SimonNia fans are panicking. tongue.gif I've never really warmed to Nia - could never get into those "pure and innocent" female leads. They always seem to be too dull and uninteresting.

Can't wait to see what happens when Simon and Rossiu are re-united. I think Rossiu might give up command of Arc Gurren to Simon (not much choice if Lagann unites with it anyway XD). While Rossiu's a good leader in peace, he just doesn't cut it in desperate situations. Simon, meanwhile, shines.

#18 Luis

Luis

The GREATEST Manga artist in the WORLD!!!

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the greatist comic/manga artist of all time &gt;_&lt; and playing music and starting a studioe ;P all purpuse studio ;P

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:47 PM

seems good i just watched the first episode it looks cool

and a little off topic but Smiter Love the new Avatar Ryu best Fighter In Street fighter or any Fighting game tongue.gif
My art ;P
What every one want.
What every one needs.
yet not every one gets it.

#19 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Aug 22 2007, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed!

Oh, yeah, I was chuckling when a totally-p***ed Yoko marched back into her lodgings - and activated the secret panel containing her hardware. XDD

While I do admit to a little soft spot for YokoSimon, I'm not expecting it to happen. Still, amusing to hear that the SimonNia fans are panicking. tongue.gif I've never really warmed to Nia - could never get into those "pure and innocent" female leads. They always seem to be too dull and uninteresting.

Can't wait to see what happens when Simon and Rossiu are re-united. I think Rossiu might give up command of Arc Gurren to Simon (not much choice if Lagann unites with it anyway XD). While Rossiu's a good leader in peace, he just doesn't cut it in desperate situations. Simon, meanwhile, shines.

The producers definitely made Yoko great - as awesome as Simon/Kamina have been in many of their moments. I just hope it's not the last time they spotlight her fighting.

I've said my bit on Nia - pretty indifferent on her character - and I wouldn't expect a Simon x Yoko ending either. I do like the interactions between the two of them better than the (usually) sappy, lame dialogues between Simon and Nia though (pre-timeskip anyway).

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens after they stop the moon. Will Nia still be with the enemy as its messenger or willl she somehow return to normal and end up a prisoner?

QUOTE (Luis @ Aug 22 2007, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seems good i just watched the first episode it looks cool

and a little off topic but Smiter Love the new Avatar Ryu best Fighter In Street fighter or any Fighting game tongue.gif

If you have the time, you should watch up to at least episode 3. Most people I know figured out by that episode whether they'd like the show or not.

#20 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

I'm already at episode 11 and I love it!

Kamina-sama lives on within us all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users