Warning to All Fanfiction Writers!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
204 replies to this topic

#21 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 4 2012, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FF.net is just a database. Nothing more. All it will take is better database to fill in this gap and authors and readers will go there in droves.

I've been seeing the name of this site pop up over and over again as a viable option for an alternative fanfiction hosting site -

Archive of Our Own

It's almost funny, the site is currently down because they have had a literal EXPLOSION of traffic/users in the past 24 hours, and their servers weren't prepared for the mass influx. But from what I've heard they are as ready and willing to take in FFnet 'refugees' as any other fiction-based sites. Fanfiction.net has truly dug their own grave, and are shoveling the dirt on top of themselves at breakneck speed.

#22 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

Wow... so it was all about bullying and the staff read those and just accepted it?

Great, now FF.net is following the footsteps of Facebook and other social networks.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#23 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 4 2012, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been seeing the name of this site pop up over and over again as a viable option for an alternative fanfiction hosting site -

Archive of Our Own

It's almost funny, the site is currently down because they have had a literal EXPLOSION of traffic/users in the past 24 hours, and their servers weren't prepared for the mass influx. But from what I've heard they are as ready and willing to take in FFnet 'refugees' as any other fiction-based sites. Fanfiction.net has truly dug their own grave, and are shoveling the dirt on top of themselves at breakneck speed.

It's so completely unethical to let this group of users administrate their website, if that's in fact what's going on. And it seems to be.

If Critics United is behind this, it won't be long until their crowing about their success. And the boycotts will follow.

The admins don't care about their users, so I can easily see them letting a policing group do the work for them. It may even be a way of forcing the site down to a more manageable size. Who knows. But I will definitely be diversifying.

edit: archive of our own looks good! It will be interesting to see what new sites crop up or expand because of this!

Edited by tricksie, 05 June 2012 - 03:17 AM.

#24 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

Start backing up and saving your fave stories now people, while you still can!

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 4 2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there an easy way to save stories (like a download button in DeviantArt) other than just plain ol' copy and paste?

Think I found the solution to that here =3

http://glompkitty.tu...about-the-purge

There's also the manual way to do it -

Open FFN
Go to the publish section of FFN
Click on Manage Stories
Select the Story
Select the Content/Chapters tab
Click the ‘DL’ link for the chapter. This will take you to an html-only version of your story with no additional formatting. It will open in a new tab.
In the new tab, Right click and select ‘View source’.
Select All and Copy (Cntrl-A, Cntrl-C) in the View Source page that opens.
Paste (Cntrl-V) it into Microsoft Word/Open Office/Any other document program

#25 SkiesEagle

SkiesEagle

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and reading fanfiction :P

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

wait wait
Should I add faves from the authors' stories?
Kweh!~
Chocobos
chocobo narusaku2

#26 kidNinja

kidNinja

Ruining your life since 1992

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

I saved ALL 32 chapters and 120,000+ words from the main fic I'm working on. I also sent out messages to friends and my favorite authors.

As you all know, I'm quite the cheeky bastard. Shall I post the links to every Critics United member's ff.net account and let you guys do what you want with them? (i.e. expose them on tumblr, etc.)

Edited by Sakura Blossoms, 05 June 2012 - 03:44 AM.
Edited out unnecessary jab at SasuSaku fan

NaruSaku...we believe in logic NOT fanfiction

Check out my story, Chain Reaction: Iron Revolution here

#27 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 4 2012, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a little more that can be done

• Participate in another site, and be explicit about why you've joined (fleeing ff.net).

• Start or help start a new fanfic site. There desperately needs to be one.

People are actually really taking this idea and running with it. Here is yet another fiction site that actually went up after the Purge -

Your Fanfiction

Their greeting message -

Welcome!

Welcome to YourFanfiction.com - giving you Your Fanfiction, your way. Due to various other sites either randomly deleting fics or not providing the quality service you would want from a fanfiction site, this has been set up in hopes of covering all of your fanfiction needs.

This website not only includes all of the regular features of a fanfiction site, but also includes the extra MA rating for explicit fics, our rules allow summaries to be rated as the individual fic is rated (ie. M rated summaries for M rated fics etc) and we will endeavour to respond to all problems and questions sent to us, hopefully within 24 hours.

Our rules also allow the addition of RPFs but are equally subject to our disclaimer. In addition to this, we promise to NEVER delete a fic without first giving the author an opportunity to correct any problems there may be with it (ie. incorrectly rated fics). Should we be forced to delete a fic, it will be done with a full explanation and, if possible, a copy of the fic being sent along with the explanation so you don't have to worry about losing your fics unexpectedly anymore!

As we're in the middle of setting up, please be patient while we update as many categories/characters as possible as quickly as possible. If there are any Categories/Characters that have not been added that you'd like to use, please feel free to email admin@yourfanfiction.com requesting that it be added and we will persevere to make sure your request is added asap.

Welcome once again and if you have any problems or questions, please feel free to email us - admin@yourfanfiction.com

Now this website is one that I believe I'll move my stories to. They are exactly what we as authors are looking for right now. Screw FFnet. I'm beyond sick, tired, and disgusted with them and their near constant idiotic dramas dry.gif

#28 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

I have my story saved to my computer so even if they thought about deleted it it wouldn't be lost forever. I also have it saved to my flash drive as well, however losing the reviews would just plain suck. I earned those reviews as do all the authors on FF.net as well. I think ppl just need to watch their kids and what they do on the internet. Going around deleting ppls hard work is a crappy way to keep certain material away from others. My story is safe, for now and I've been uploading it to my DA. Given I haven't been keeping up with it like I should but I will most certainly will now.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#29 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

@Sakura blossoms, it's interesting the ff.net is breaking their own rules in allowing these users to have full rein of their website.

I wonder if the admin/developer has just thrown in the towel? Instead of upgrading the site interface or the backend hardware, h/she just decided to downsize. He's not quitting, just letting the site implode. Then he can manage whatever is leftover when it's finished.

Well, I'll be spending the rest of tonight making sure I have copies of everything. Thanks for the info. And in the coming days, I'll definitely be checking out the new sites.

I don't see how ff.net could come back from this tremendous breach of trust with its users. And really, I don't think they care to. That's not a sentimental, hurt-feeling statement. The site has only been maintained, not ever improved. And that speaks volumes about the owner's end-goal. It's not the user. Especially when they finally hand over "improvements" to a group that is loosely organized of unprofessional users who just happen to be the loudest ones on the site.

It's troubling to read the front page and all the updates there. It's an entirely different voice, an entirely new agenda.

And I agree, if you can't protect the writer and their work, then why be part of the site?!

#30 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Jun 4 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have my story saved to my computer so even if they thought about deleted it it wouldn't be lost forever. I also have it saved to my flash drive as well, however losing the reviews would just plain suck. I earned those reviews as do all the authors on FF.net as well. I think ppl just need to watch their kids and what they do on the internet. Going around deleting ppls hard work is a crappy way to keep certain material away from others. My story is safe, for now and I've been uploading it to my DA. Given I haven't been keeping up with it like I should but I will most certainly will now.

Yeah I did said something like that. About parents being responsible for what their children see on the internet, it applies with television, movies, video games etc.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#31 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:23 AM

I'll probably shift my stuff over to YFF and AO3, but continue posting on FF.net until something of mine gets removed for whatever reason.

#32 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 5 2012, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info. And in the coming days, I'll definitely be checking out the new sites.

No prob~ Just wanna keep all our fellow writers informed of what's going down ^^

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Jun 5 2012, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll probably shift my stuff over to YFF and AO3, but continue posting on FF.net until something of mine gets removed for whatever reason.

This is also my thinking, and what I'm most likely going to do as well.

#33 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Jun 5 2012, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's my plan too.

I just read a post by Cha's Aegis (of Critics United) dismissing this as just a firestorm that would blow over. But I don't think it will.

Critics United is a little like "Lord of the Flies." It's only a matter of time before they turn on themselves. They say they uphold the site rules and their rules. Yet they don't. They're actively breaking site rules to do what they want.

It's only a matter of time before they start targeting outspoken people or users who say they are reposting on competitor's sites. They have no reason to follow any rules at all.

And what if you want to post the MA chapter of your story? Are they going to let you post outgoing links? Or will they delete your story because it is connected to adult themes? Geez, this is such a mess.

This won't blow over. This is here to stay. And so ff readers looking for gritty, sexy mature stories will have to go elsewhere. And that's a cardinal sin of web development.

btw, did lovtoshi's and achika-miyu's stories get taken down? Both were pretty sexy....

edit: Just looked. No, both stories are still there as of right now. But I can't imagine that they would fly under the new purge rules. Which means those stats on the infographic are only going to go up.

edit again: you know what sucks? I had a little time to write tonight, and I lost it being pissed about that site. I really hate when a site is pushed as a republic and you buy into it, only to have it turn into a dictatorship. It infuriates me. But it makes me appreciate this site more. Thanks mods for keeping H&E so above board, for being of one mind, and working hard to keep everyone adhering to the rules. Good rules, not crazy ones. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Edited by tricksie, 05 June 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#34 SkiesEagle

SkiesEagle

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and reading fanfiction :P

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

What about adultfanfiction? From what I read some of the authors' note, they are going there...
Kweh!~
Chocobos
chocobo narusaku2

#35 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 4 2012, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People are actually really taking this idea and running with it. Here is yet another fiction site that actually went up after the Purge -

Your Fanfiction

Their greeting message -

Now this website is one that I believe I'll move my stories to. They are exactly what we as authors are looking for right now. Screw FFnet. I'm beyond sick, tired, and disgusted with them and their near constant idiotic dramas dry.gif

I am so setting up an account on this site, I'm tired of FF.net drama. Thanks so much for sharing!!

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#36 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 4 2012, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fanlore has an interesting infographic about the stats of the purge.

Again, for a site that depends on users for it's life blood, arbitrarily deleting stories and reviews is a really stupid move.

edit: More than 17,000 HP fics were deleted between May 28-31, 2012. More than 9,000 Naruto stories were deleted. Check out the graphic. Very interesting.

It should be noted that the infographic originally posted on Fanlore.org is apparently incorrect. The person who collected the data made a mistake in the calculation, and the new graphic is posted here.

So it looks as if 2,002 Naruto fics have been purged, not the 9,278 that was originally reported.

And this purge activity, and the nonsense of Critics United, is nothing new. There have been several rounds of this in the past as well. Critics United have been around for a long time, and they generally target fics that they feel violate several categories in the rules -- the wrong rating, an inaccurate summary as compared to the content, and a generally poor final product. There have been many "rule-breaking" fics that have existed on the site for years, in popular fandoms that would have been found out and reported by now. I think what might save them is they are well written. IDK. It's difficult to tell when it comes to the CU mentality.

It certainly doesn't change anything, and it would still serve us all to look elsewhere for a fiction archive. I believe in following site rules (although it's difficult when they are vague and open to interpretation), personally, but I also believe in freedom -- creative and otherwise -- and ff.net increasingly does not. I also really don't want anything to do with a site that allows itself to be controlled by a group whose sole mission is to sit in judgment of what is fit to print.

Is there a concensus on the best site to house adult fan fiction these days?

Edited by KnS, 05 June 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#37 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

I don't see the big issue. It's been like this for years.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#38 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

Sorry, I jumped into the fray a bit late seeing as I had no idea about the purge and just thought the front notice was merely a warning. Apparently I was seriously wrong.

I can't believe that they are pulling this stunt again ten years down the line! Although a lot of time has passed, a lot of people have found ways around the strict MA rating system or moved to new sites entirely for their purposes, I find that the ff.net staff in these years haven't made that many improvements in the site from when I first stumbled upon it back in late 1999 to early 2000. If anything, it was a small lump of new innovations----easier story management (though at a loss of story formatting), C2s, forums, and little improvements on the story/author favorites and watch alerts ----and a big batch and mishaps and bugs! The site was almost always buggy, bland in looks and appearance (that's supposed to inspire creativity???), and always having email alerts and publishing issues happening. There were many times where I looked forward to reading a new story or update just to find that I had missed it from my alerts, it didn't show up on the site for a while, or it went days before some authors were able to publish their story up.

I am quite disappointed in ff.net once again. The only reason I even visit the site is because it had such a large user base where I can find fandoms for almost anything. But with this stunt, it will only encourage me and many other users to migrate to another better and more innovative site that can fit their needs better than ff.net can.

Thanks for the links to new fiction sites, guys! I will definitely check them out.

QUOTE (Konoha'sCrimsonFox @ Jun 4 2012, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see the big issue. It's been like this for years.

The issue isn't so much the deletion of their stories, it's that it's being done without giving users a warning or a chance to fix their stories or allowing them to remove it themselves after saving a copy for themselves beforehand. Not only that, the purge is done not because of legal issues, but because of group of from what I gather, "hypocrites", that isn't doing anything to improve the site, but rather wreck havoc on it.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#39 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Umm... guys, I think we're in the wrong here too. To be honest, deleting songfics is something I agree on. It just plain messes up the reading IMO. Also, posting "inaccurate" summaries is sort of wrong, too. Since we wouldn't know how mature it is just from the summary alone, it also misleads readers as well.

However, they're also in the wrong too. Especially with not contacting the authors beforehand before they start deleting. So, really people I'm seeing that both sides are wrong too IMO.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#40 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

So far none of my stories have been purged. While I can see where the admins are coming from, I disagree with their execution.

Honestly, I blame this all on "Fifty Shades of Grey." I think with all of the attention it got and learning that the author originally had a Twilight fic that was the precursor to it, the admins got scared. They had to do something after the site got lots of attention for the wrong reasons. That's my take on it.

End of line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users