Soul Calibur V: 17 years later...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Well, Namco is definitely not done with the Soul series and 5 is heading the same route Capcom did with Street Fighter III.

Here are some of the details for Eurogamer:
Soul Calibur 5 --Click here to view--
"Namco Bandai has lifted the lid on Soulcalibur V at its press event in Dubai this morning.

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

Namco Bandai is yet to show actual gameplay, but promised more information at E3 next month."

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#2 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hmm, I'll wait and see on this one. SCIV was OK, but it wasn't as good as it could have been.

#3 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

Honestly, there was just about nothing I liked about SC IV. The character creation element, which I loved from SC-III, was pretty much ruined to me. The gameplay was not as good as SC-II. It had the worst storylines of them all, in my view, in that relationships and similar things developed from previous games were made 'edgier' in a way that pretty much ruined them all for me (it was supposed to close the era, yes; why were there no 'good' endings for anyone -- all 'bad ends'? I mean, okay, I can see a few of the characters not having a happy ending, but, say, Kilik, for example? Why did Kilik have to toil in misery for the remainder of this days?). I loved "Chronicles of the Sword," introduced in 3, but instead of building on\improving it, they cut it altogether. Was it that unpopular outside of my circles, or did they just get lazy?

I actually bought a PS3 just to play SC-IV, but I was sorely disappointed. I'm definitely taking a 'wait and see' approach to V.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#4 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Sounds like it could be interesting and this time I hope they do better with the story mode of Soul Calibur V.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#5 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:50 AM

I don't know why this post doesn't want to post...

But let's try this again:

Characters in so far
- Both of Sophitia's children
- Siegfried
- Nightmare
- And recently confirmed, Mitsurugi (following the Samurai CAN'T die effect in past other fighting games, i.e. Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown).

latest?cb=20140126021943

#6 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

Wouldn't Mitsurugi be like an old man by now? The guy doesn't age!

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 25 2011, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah. Look up Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown when SNK went 20 years later before they rebooted with 5. I had a feeling about Mitsurugi returning because of that issue.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#8 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 26 2011, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Age doesn't matter. Sly is 65 and he can still kick some mighty fine ass.

E3 trailer:

I have a feeling that Sieg's going to be some sort of father figure to both Sophitia's children. If I remember correctly, they did meet each other quite frequently in the previous storylines. And..... I remember Hilde's ending..... anybody wanna bet one of the new characters is going to include Sieg's kid with Hilde?? just a random guess here.....

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#9 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:24 AM

UPDATE: Trailer:

Forgot to add some news on this thread, so here's the lowdown for those who didn't follow the 5 updates:

* Looks like the characters are having super moves (Oh boy, everyone is following Street Fighter now at days)

* Main storyline focusing on Sophitia's children as the main characters: Patroklos and Pyrrha. According to official sources, both didn't have a easy childhood -due to Pyrrha being kidnapped by Tira around SC3-4 and now she (Pyrrha) doesn't remember any of her family. Patroklos, lost his father (Sophitia's Husband, Rothion) due to illness. As of Sophitia, it looks like she's following the same route with Jun Kazama in the Tekken storyline: proclaimed "dead" by many characters but officially MIA said by developers. Patroklos is on a quest to find his long-lost sister.

*New characters include the following: First is Natsu, she is Taki's apprentice, related to Taki's friend, Chie. Her storyline is following a Naruto route: born with a demon. Next is Zwei, a German guy who is very, very mysterious, who can summon a werewolf-like creature. Last is Leixia, the daughter of Xianghua... and it looks like Kilik is the father heheelq7.png

*Returning characters joining with Siegrfried, Nightmare and Mitsurugi are Ivy, Voldo, Maxi, Tira, and Hilde. Taki is confirmed to be in the game but no info released yet. Kilik is officially joining the route with Sophitia (see above) and Xianghua is alive but not playable (following the route Namco did with Michelle Chang with Julia back in Tekken 3).

*Final game should be around 20-30 characters max; 10-15 are brand new. Release around early to mid 2012.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#10 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

It looks like none of the returning characters have aged a day. tongue.gif

Oho, so Kilik and Xianghua did the deed, then? heheelq7.png I'm guessing Leixia plays like Xianghua?

It'll be interesting to see how the changes and faster pace affect the gameplay. If I get this, it'll most likely be as a rental or when it gets discounted.

#11 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

I forgot to mention about one of the popular characters, Hwang, was disconfirmed to be in the sequel... DAMNIT! DX

Oho, so Kilik and Xianghua did the deed, then? heheelq7.png I'm guessing Leixia plays like Xianghua?

Of course, Leixia will have her mother's moveset. As I said before, she'll follow the same route Namco did with Michelle and Julia from Tekken.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#12 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Is Yoda going to be in this one cause he was awesome in 4

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#13 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Fyuria'sLeo @ Aug 16 2011, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Yoda going to be in this one cause he was awesome in 4

No, but they said there will be guest characters coming.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#14 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

pinch.gif Ok sweet. I wonder who it will be.

#15 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

So... lacking of posting updates, I will tell you what's going on in the Soul universe.

- So our guest character is no other than Ezio from Assassin's Creed.

- Returning characters Nightmare, Astaroth and Raphael are playable.

- Another new character is Viola, a goth-looking female character who fights with a big jewel-like substance. She's part of the same organization as Zwei.

And about Leixia, also officially playable... well... Kilik ISN'T the father... Damn! (But that doesn't mean anything... wink.gif )

EDIT:

Also, Astaroth is actually "new", since the developers said that this is the younger brother of the original. (Sounds like another analogy with Tekken for King and Kuma back around 3 was out).

latest?cb=20140126021943

#16 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Oct 20 2011, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... lacking of posting updates, I will tell you what's going on in the Soul universe.

- So our guest character is no other than Ezio from Assassin's Creed.

- Returning characters Nightmare, Astraroth and Raphael are playable.

- Another new character is Viola, a goth-looking female character who fights with a big jewel-like substance. She's part of the same organization as Zwei.

And about Leixia, also officially playable... well... Kilik ISN'T the father... Damn! (But that doesn't mean anything... wink.gif )

The article mentions that Xianghua married a general from the Ming Empire WTF I want her to be with Kilik I ship that pairing! argh1.png
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#17 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Oct 20 2011, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The article mentions that Xianghua married a general from the Ming Empire WTF I want her to be with Kilik I ship that pairing! argh1.png

As I said, it doesn't mean anything... she MAY be Kilik's daughter if the developers add ALOT of tension and drama for Leixia's storyline. Saying that her father is the Ming Empire general is 50% chance a ruse.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#18 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Ezio is the guest character you say. Thats going to be a weird fighter if you ask me....

#19 LegendaryArcanine42

LegendaryArcanine42

'TIS LEGENDARY BRO!!!

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Anime/Manga<br />Storywriting<br />Songwriting<br />Kicking butt and taking names! &gt;:D

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

Ezio's the guest character, huh?

FUUUUUUUUU-

I am so jelly now! I wanna console, gimme gimme gimme!

#20 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

Okay, probably not buying it this time with these revelations. Was very disappointed with 4, too, and the only reason I was thinking of buying 5 was because it meant there was a more hopeful end of the Kilik\Xiangua dynamic, but now... I think I'll stick with 3. Just another reason to keep my PS2 up and running....

Edited by desaix, 21 October 2011 - 02:52 AM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users