Σ'αγαπώ

#42 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Jonah Hex and Tallulah Black. It's hard to describe. But if you ever read Jonah Hex - and you should because holy crap it was ALWAYS good - or All Star Western you'd get it. Ahh, crusty bounty hunters.

Two words: Superman: Birthright.

I'm sorry, but that is wrong on so many levels. I would explain, but I am not gonna to make the topic OT. I'll explain later when I have time in a private message. For now, I just wanted to comment and say that what Chris Sims said goes against everything Superman and Wonder Woman stand for in terms of "Acceptance."

Even in Superman Birthright, the heritage of Krypton is irrelevant to who he is. He doesn't learn much about his Kryptonian heritage until he's an adult in something like his twenties. He was still guided by those same two kindly people who took him in and it shaped his worldview. He honors it in that one, sure, but honoring tradition is not the same as it being important to who you are.

I grew up not knowing my real father. My step-father was the man I called Dad. I tried to reconnect with my real father at one point. It was interesting, even if it did not work out. It did not change who I was as a human being, nor was it important to who I am to learn more about him. So I guess in a way I relate to Superman regarding this and have some pretty strong feelings about it.

Krypton can be used in good stories - and I don't necessarily agree with Sims that Krypton should never really pop up at all, even if I'm with him on most of what he says - but it should not be positioned as something that influences Superman as a person. That was all the Kents. He was born on another planet, but he grew up here. He has powers, but in heart and mind, he's one of us.

There's a reason the New Krypton storylines entire point was to show - by bringing back Kryptonians for a short time - that the powers and the heritage do not make you Superman.

Also, Wonder Woman is a different character than Superman, with different origins, themes and the like. Her place of origin - Paradise Island - is not only where she was born, but where she grew up. It absolutely affects who she is as a person and how she carries herself and it SHOULD. Just as Superman should be the direct opposite; perhaps somewhat aware of his heritage without it being a fundamental part of his character or who he is.

But, if you're not convinced by this, let's just agree to disagree and move on. I've been in discussions like this before and it ends up being pointless because no one convinces the other. It's clear we have two different views on the character and while I do personally feel like you've sort of missed the point, I don't begrudge you your opinion. I'm sure you feel I'm missing your point as well.

Besides, I don't much feel like having a super long, detailed discussion on it right now. Maybe another time.

Mar'i GraysonxDamian Wayne

They're like the cutest babies to have ever been paired both fanonically and Elseworlds. Uuuuggghhhh my heart twinges knowing there's not enough love for them among the community

In fairness to the community, it's a pairing based largely on about two stories, total. As I recall - haven't read Kingdom Come in a while, so I can't recall if they did much with it there - they didn't even get into it until the sequel, The Kingdom. Not a lot to go on, so it's not a big shock it's sort of faded from view.

Edited by dl316bh, 05 June 2013 - 08:27 AM.

bd5.jpg

#43 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Honestly, dl316bh, I think you're missing the point I was trying to make on both Superman's AND Wonder Woman's part. You're looking at the "physical difference" of it while I am looking at the metaphorical idealism that is "Home vs Heritage" and "accepting" those roots. Yes, the powers alone do not make Superman....super, however the point was not the powers themselves, but "mental blocks" Superman puts on himself. Becoming the "true Superman" whose ideals are just as great as his powers.

I'll give a hint: Superman, Wonder Woman (or at least her home), and Aquaman have this problem, but are different takes.

Again, read Superman: Birthright and the message it tries to give.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#44 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

I ship Batman w/ WonderWoman

Superman w/ Lois Lane

Nightwing/Oracle or pre-52 Starfire

Green Arrow and Black Canary

And I know I'm showing my DCAU JLU roots here but

Green Lantern with Hawkgirl.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#45 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

And I know I'm showing my DCAU JLU roots here but

Green Lantern with Hawkgirl.

OMG!!!

I totally forgot about those two! John and Hawkgirl = HOTTEST Interracial pairing!  :love:  :love:  :love:

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#46 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hmm...doesn't look like the new Man of Steel movie does anything to change the Lois/Clark dynamic, in the sense that Lois as usual puts work first, and the audience is left wondering just why the two of them are together in the first place -

Excert from Man of Steel review article

#47 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hmm...doesn't look like the new Man of Steel movie does anything to change the Lois/Clark dynamic, in the sense that Lois as usual puts work first, and the audience is left wondering just why the two of them are together in the first place -

Excert from Man of Steel review article

They probably wait on working the romance in the next sequels. I'm 100% sure there will be more Man of Steel movies, similar to The Dark Knight for Batman.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#48 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

They probably wait on working the romance in the next sequels. I'm 100% sure there will be more Man of Steel movies, similar to The Dark Knight for Batman.

Kinda out of topic, but... way ahead of ya.    http://www.firstshow...ce-league-talk/

#49 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Sigh.

http://www.ign.com/a...manwonder-woman

You guys who ship Supes/WW will be happy with this news.

For my part, I'm not particularly pleased with it. For one thing, I don't much care for the pairing on conceptual grounds, how it happened and more. On the other, it has Charles Soule, who's doing a great job taking over Swamp Thing. I'm not exactly thrilled that this is the next project he's going to be wrapped up in. Kind of a downer.

in the sense that Lois as usual puts work first

I really don't get how some people use that as a reason to be down on the character. She's a driven, goal oriented career woman who is not at all afraid of danger and will do what she must to get the story. Shouldn't we want more of these kind of characters? The last thing we need is a character that, I don't know, has a role mostly consisting of crying and worrying instead of doing something, anything, that might be in their skill set.

And no, in the movie she doesn't put work first. At all. It's a key moment around the halfway mark that she drops the Superman story because it's the right thing to do and she empathizes with Clark.

Edited by dl316bh, 17 June 2013 - 07:58 PM.

bd5.jpg

#50 Lady_duckish

Lady_duckish

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

sm-wwpromo043colorjpg-50eccf_610w.jpg

Via IGN, DC Comics has revealed an all-new ongoing series called Superman/Wonder Woman and it is going to focus on the relationship between....Superman and Wonder Woman 

Superman/Wonder Woman will be written by Charles Soule (Swamp Thing) and drawn by Tony Daniel (Action Comics, Detective Comics). 

Read more at http://www.comicbook...gpt8jlmu02qq.99

First issue is out this October. 

Really getting sick of this. Seems like DC's only strategy for selling WW is to have her lip locking someone. Come on.I'm all for romance for Diana and doing away with the idea that strong women can't have romantic relationships, but let's not forget that her niche is supposed to be superheroics. 

This is like the first time ( at least in a long time) that she has been given a second title ...sorta. Why on God's green earth is it a book about her relationship? Give her a second title all on her that has a more traditional approach, and then do something like this.

This is just a huge let down. I know I should wait and see, but ugh. DC is starting to make me despise the hell out of this relationship.

dl316bh Beat me by a sec.

Edited by Lady_duckish, 17 June 2013 - 08:00 PM.

"Thursday cry moved up to Wednesday due to scheduling conflicts" -The Onion (I laughed till I cried)

#51 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

While I enjoy the ship, I also have to admit the direction they are taking is a bit over the top, romance should be more discreet on action stories such as this.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#52 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

They really want to push Superman and Wonder Woman together.

I'm sorry but I definitely don't like this direction DC is heading. Just to pair up two iconic superheroes. And what's next? Diana having Clark's babies that will be already god-tier and a family? Really want The Incredibles-type family? I find this very unacceptable.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#53 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

They really want to push Superman and Wonder Woman together.

I'm sorry but I definitely don't like this direction DC is heading. Just to pair up two iconic superheroes. And what's next? Diana having Clark's babies that will be already god-tier and a family? Really want The Incredibles-type family? I find this very unacceptable.

It'll never get that far. Eventually it's going to implode. Matter of time. But I guess it's going to be later rather than sooner.

bd5.jpg

#54 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

image.jpg

#55 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

.....yea I'll always ship Superman with Lois......

and Wonder Women with Trevor.

Superman and Wonderwomen just seem like an......overpowered couple.......why would anyone want to pair the world's most strongest man and the world's strongest women together...it's so cheesy.

Edited by merryGOflava, 17 August 2013 - 04:54 AM.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#56 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

.....yea I'll always ship Superman with Lois......

and Wonder Women with Trevor.

Superman and Wonderwomen just seem like an......overpowered couple.......why would anyone want to pair the world's most strongest man and the world's strongest women together...it's so cheesy.

Well, perhaps because it is different. For over 50 years it is always Lois and Clark. Why not something different for once? I mean, look at Batman. How many women has he been paired of with? Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Talia Al-Ghul, Vicki Vale, Pamela Isly, Julia Pennyworth, and so many more. Why is it okay for Batman to date so many women, but for Superman he HAS to be stuck with Lois? It's get boring and old after a while.

I think Batman is better off with Selina Kyle than he is with Wonder Woman. Perhaps Superman needs a change of pace for once. Hell, Peter Parker had more GFs than just Mary Jane.

I really don't get how some people use that as a reason to be down on the character. She's a driven, goal oriented career woman who is not at all afraid of danger and will do what she must to get the story. Shouldn't we want more of these kind of characters? The last thing we need is a character that, I don't know, has a role mostly consisting of crying and worrying instead of doing something, anything, that might be in their skill set.

And no, in the movie she doesn't put work first. At all. It's a key moment around the halfway mark that she drops the Superman story because it's the right thing to do and she empathizes with Clark.

In Man of Steel? No, she is a caring person who actually put Clark first before the story, but in other renditions of her (including the comics sometimes) she was too overzealous with getting the great story to the point that she literally put herself in a position she knows is dangerous yet goes in anyway. Only for Superman to have to stop and save her.

In the Superman movie with Christopher Reeves, there one time where she literally jumped into the middle of a terrorist bombing just for the story and ending up nearly dying with Superman having to save her. Now, that is just plain stupid. A story is not worth your life. Is that really the type of character you want? A girl who always puts herself in life threatening situations and demands Superman to save her without thinking that maybe he doesn't want her to go in there for once? I get that she is a reporter, but she is the only one who really does this.

Makes me question what would happen if Superman wasn't around. If she did the same stuff, how would she get out of it?

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users