17 replies to this topic

#1 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

You've already read these types of stories a thousand times. You may have enjoyed them, you may have needed hair grafts after you pulled out all your original hair.

So of course, you'd love to write a Naruto Fic Cliche? Right?

Right?

I feel that it's not the idea of the cliche that is bad, it's the execution that makes the idea fall flat. Cliches become cliches because the idea appeals to people. So if you dig deep enough you'll find something decent in every one. So, pick a common one and to the best of your ability flesh it out. It could be a drabble, a longer oneshot or maybe this will inspire an epic.

You know you want to...

Cliche List
Highschool/College!AU
Self-Insert (read: "Two Girls/Boys find themselves in the Naruto world...")
Rock Band/Pop Star!AU
Vampires!Au
Arranged Marriages
Super!Naruto
Harry Potter/Bleach Crossover
"Naruto Gets Kicked out of Konoha"
Animal Transformation (i.e. Naruto turns into a fox and Sakura finds and takes care of him unknowingly)
Akatsuki, Stockholm Syndrome and <insert character here>
Out of the Woodwork: Naruto's long, lost relatives
Yondaime/Canon Family Member gets sealed into Naruto
Dark!Naruto
Different Jounin-Sensei/Team/Team Members

Bonus!
Since it's a NaruSaku forum I would hope that these fics would at least include the pairing if it's possible, but yeah NaruSaku is definitely a bonus.

Cliche Suggestions
If there's any cliche that you'd like on the list...post. Try to be as specific as you can, but obviously not too specific. (Ex. NaruHina is not a cliche, but Super!Naruto is)
WTF Fanfic Quote of the Moment

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Leney @ Nov 6 2007, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cliche List
Highschool/College!AU
Rock Band/Pop Star!AU
Vampires!Au
Arranged Marriages
Super!Naruto
Animal Transformation (i.e. Naruto turns into a fox and Sakura finds and takes care of him unknowingly)
Dark!Naruto

Ugh...I have never written anything like what is on this list, and I intend never to do so *shudders at the self-insert* =_=

#3 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

Highschool/College!AU
Rock Band/Pop Star!AU
Vampires!Au
Arranged Marriages
Super!Naruto
Dark!Naruto

Don't you know it. I hate self-inserts above all, they anger me like nothing else. Just a way for people to hook up with their favourite characters and be godlike.

However, some of those cannot be considered cliches. The animal transformation is something I have seen only once, so that shouldn't be there. Same with the arranged marriages, I don't really recall that many of them.

And to be honest, none of them really interest me T_T

#4 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hmm...for as far as I know, I've never written any of these before.
Most of them doesn't interest me. Sure I sometimes read some of these...but most of the time they suck in my opinion.
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#5 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

Ugh...I have never written anything like what is on this list, and I intend never to do so *shudders at the self-insert* =_=

Hmm...for as far as I know, I've never written any of these before.

Don't you know it. I hate self-inserts above all, they anger me like nothing else. Just a way for people to hook up with their favourite characters and be godlike.

LOL! That's why it is a challenge (with a side of therapy, hehe). I'm sure if you guys consider yourselves good writers, you can bring something new to the most overdone idea. The journey of a Ninja isn't exactly an original concept but look what Kishimoto did with it.

So, If you hate self-inserts where all they do is hook up with their favourite characters and be godlike, then write one where that doesn't happen. Or write one where you twist the common scenario to something new and original.

However, some of those cannot be considered cliches. The animal transformation is something I have seen only once, so that shouldn't be there. Same with the arranged marriages, I don't really recall that many of them.

The animal thing is more of a Yaoi cliche than anything, but I've seen it enough to want to put it there, especially since all of these stories seem to follow the same formulas. But Arranged Marriages is definately a common plot in fics. I've seen it lots of times, but frankly its one of those plot devices that you can use over and over again (Bollywood I am looking at you!). It's not necessarily bad, but it is cliche.

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#6 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

I have read only two self-insert stories in my life that I would consider good and great.

The first was one where a girl was transported to Naruto's world. It didn't say how, but it wasn't the normal "omg I got sucked into the TV!"

However, just like in canon, she kind of butchered it all up in the second part. It's still fairly enjoyable, but some concepts she introduced just killed it for me. I suppose some people would enjoy it.

The second one I ever read, wasn't in this fandom, but in another. It was written by DarkWindKaze when he was still around, and it was self-insert story set in the world of FF7. It did start off extremely corny, but I kept reading it because I know he's a quality writer, and true to my beliefs, his self-insert fic was phenomenally great. It's just a damn shame that he quit writing.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Leney @ Nov 6 2007, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cliche List
Highschool/College!AU
Rock Band/Pop Star!AU
Vampires!Au
Arranged Marriages
Super!Naruto
Dark!Naruto

I never wrote any of these... except... I had wrote (and continuing) a new crossover category biggrin.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:52 AM

Funny you should bring this up...
*brings up a text file, blows off the accumulated dust, does some mild edits and posts*

Here's probably the only salvageable portion from a fic I'd started a long time ago.

Shikamaru began kneading his head in earnest. "You've gotten him ranting about destiny. He's going to be like this for a long while."

"Huh?" Vespar's head tilted, "I thought he was better? Got the whole Naruto shebang, you know, a beat-down and the t-shirt and all?"

Shikamaru winced at the growing headache as Neji reached another crescendo in his self-pity, "Yes, Naruto fixed him, but point is," voice dripping with sarcasm, the Nara pointed at the Hyuuga to emphasise his point, "it's still a habit."

The outsider hmm'ed and ah'd at Neji's hem's and haw's and then decided on a course of action.

"And it is because of destiny--mmph!!"

Normally, long-winded rants about destiny don't include a 'mmph', but when a Hyuuga (Mainhouse) is fiercely applied to another Hyuuga (Branch house) through the use of airborne velocity as a medium, chances are that cut-off sentences are expected. It's fated like that.

"You, you threw Hinata at Neji..." Sakura gaped at the events in partial shock and morbid awe.

"Yeah, he's got to watch that blindspot." Vespar patted his hands in a way indicative of a job well-done. Then, before anyone else could comment, the author posed, one hand clenched into a fist over his chest, the other pointing at the pile of distraught and concussed Hyuuga's.

"For a being such as I, ungoverned by the conventionality of anime and manga polite mannerisms, it could only be preordained that I would win this battle." The pointed finger turned into a thumbs down. "It was fate that you would be brought down by your own makings."

"But... he was ranting! You attacked Neji in the middle of his rant!" Sakura shook her head and corrected herself. "You threw Hinata at Neji in the middle of his rant!"

And Leney, you forgot to add the Mary-sue, Harem and Time-travel cliches. tongue.gif
(Actually, I've got one fic that would match 3 cliches on your list! laugh.gif )

Edit:
Heh. Whoops. Slipped my mind that self-inserts is the best method to bring things to an awkward grinding halt...

#9 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

Lol hmm i think i have a couple of those hahah

Lets see the out of the wood work:
http://www.fanfictio...Tale_of_Uzumaki

I wrote(maybe i should say started I need to finish it) before Naruto's parents were revealed. Basically I had Naruto's father married to Ino's aunt, but the thing was sorta covered up after the Kyuubi attack. Also throw in that his clan is a offshoot of a samurai clan (Uzumaki being part of a clan called the Maki clan) But yea I had it so Naruto was actully related to several members of the Konoha 12 and such.(Including the Uchiha, Hyuuga, and Yamanka.) I find that some people found the early chapters kinda humoruos lol

animal transformation: I started one that had Naruto return to Konoha as very foxlike.

Ya know, I should go back and revamp my stories and finish them. lol Of course I never got really any good critisism to halp me in my writings.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#10 Simusar

Simusar

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:43 AM

i did it a little while ago but for the "Rock Star" challenge.

The Band

#11 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

Arranged Marriages/Harem..?

A plot forms in my twisted mind... a_plotting.gif

I'll post my idea here, just in case I never manage to write anything. In which case, anybody is free to use it. tongue.gif

---------------
Idea: Naruto's parentage suddenly becomes public knowledge, despite Tsunade's best efforts to keep it under wraps. All hell breaks loose as a reluctant Naruto suddenly finds himself as Konoha's Most Eligible Bachelor. Clans fight to secure the hand of the Yondaime's son in arranged marriage! Girls compete with each other to secure a date with the future Hokage!

At first, Naruto welcomes the attention, but then gets overwhelmed. He only wants Sakura, but will she slip away from Naruto as all sorts of temptations and obstacles throw themselves in his way?

Note: All characters will be slightly older, partly so that Akatsuki can be swept under the carpet.
------------

I hate cliché fics, but this challenge has actually interested me. XD

#12 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Apr 15 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A plot forms in my twisted mind... :plot:

I'll post my idea here, just in case I never manage to write anything. In which case, anybody is free to use it. tongue.gif

---------------
Idea: Naruto's parentage suddenly becomes public knowledge, despite Tsunade's best efforts to keep it under wraps. All hell breaks loose as a reluctant Naruto suddenly finds himself as Konoha's Most Eligible Bachelor. Clans fight to secure the hand of the Yondaime's son in arranged marriage! Girls compete with each other to secure a date with the future Hokage!

At first, Naruto welcomes the attention, but then gets overwhelmed. He only wants Sakura, but will she slip away from Naruto as all sorts of temptations and obstacles throw themselves in his way?

Note: All characters will be slightly older, partly so that Akatsuki can be swept under the carpet.
------------

I gotta read that smiter. Thats just chock full of good images for comedy, drama romance and angst.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#13 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

@ smiter.

Really good idea. Too bad I don't have the talent to put it to fruition. Hope someone takes it up.

#14 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Apr 15 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A plot forms in my twisted mind... a_plotting.gif

---------------

------------

ah defintaly sounds like a good read if it ever becomes a story.
Alas i would try to write it if I was a better writer, but sadly I suck lol.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#15 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

I accept this challenge.

However, I have a twist.

I will do ALL of these cliches...

IN ONE STORY.

#16 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

---------

I was hoping someone would do this one.

#17 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

Yeah I think that would be a great one...I've never read a het version of that cliche though.

Trigen- LOL good luck! XD

#18 The_ Mad_Hatter

The_ Mad_Hatter

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:&lt;a href=&quot;http://photobucket.com&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/4v3ryShingl3r/Itacichibi.jpg&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Apr 30 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I accept this challenge.
However, I have a twist.

I will do ALL of these cliches...

IN ONE STORY.

Well Well Well Daring aren't we? wink.gif Good luck

Edited by The_ Mad_Hatter, 01 May 2008 - 12:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users