#1 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

So Daniel Tosh, the most highbrow comedian around, was saying HURR RAPE IS FUNNY and a female audience member spoke up about it, which prompted Tosh to.... well, just read this.

http://breakfastcook...o-a-comedy-club

I hate people.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#2 K9ofChaos

K9ofChaos

f**k the establishment! I'm a bunny!

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Well kitten, what a kitten.

That's just not funny at all. It wouldn't be funny if the woman got raped by 5 men at that moment at all. It would be awful, and that was a pretty low blow from Tosh on his part. It would have been wiser if he just didn't even make jokes about rape to begin with.

This is extremely unfortunate and completely in bad taste to the point of not being funny at all. The woman who had to go threw that bullsh** with Tosh has my sympathies.

Edited by K9ofChaos, 10 July 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#3 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Eh, everyone makes jokes. I'm sorry that we live on this planet where comedians make jokes about rape, death, race, sex, and lot's of other things, it happens.

(inb4 i'm yelled back at because im an inconsiderate kitten who doesn't give a kitten about others, cause i truly could care less of what others think on this subject.)

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#4 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Fyuria'sLeo @ Jul 10 2012, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh, everyone makes jokes. I'm sorry that we live on this planet where comedians make jokes about rape, death, race, sex, and lot's of other things, it happens.

(inb4 i'm yelled back at because im an inconsiderate kitten who doesn't give a kitten about others, cause i truly could care less of what others think on this subject.)

I don't think it should be dismissed just because "it happens" though.

#5 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

Well, not to even remotely diminish the seriousness of that sort of situation, but this is Daniel Tosh we're talking about. The guy's said way worse in the past, and really, edginess is his routine. I feel bad for the girl for not looking him up first, but I think most people kind of know what to expect out of him. I remember seeing him last summer in Minneapolis, and hearing some older couple boo him after a Hurricane Katrina rip. That's not really a joke you can defend, but at the same time, you have to understand what you paid to see.

Basically, if you don't like delivery-style comedy, don't see Dane Cook. If you don't like rage or political comedy, don't see Lewis Black. If you don't like extreme edginess, don't see Daniel Tosh. At the end of the day, it's just entertainment, and no one's forcing you to enjoy every style of comedy out there. Or, at least, I hope not... sad.gif

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#6 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (Fyuria'sLeo @ Jul 10 2012, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 10 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, not to even remotely diminish the seriousness of that sort of situation, but this is Daniel Tosh we're talking about. The guy's said way worse in the past, and really, edginess is his routine. I feel bad for the girl for not looking him up first, but I think most people kind of know what to expect out of him. I remember seeing him last summer in Minneapolis, and hearing some older couple boo him after a Hurricane Katrina rip. That's not really a joke you can defend, but at the same time, you have to understand what you paid to see.

Basically, if you don't like delivery-style comedy, don't see Dane Cook. If you don't like rage or political comedy, don't see Lewis Black. If you don't like extreme edginess, don't see Daniel Tosh. At the end of the day, it's just entertainment, and no one's forcing you to enjoy every style of comedy out there. Or, at least, I hope not... sad.gif

Yeah I'm gonna agree with Leo and Boom 100% on this one. A joke is a joke, is rape a joke no of course not however anything and everything is fair game when it comes to comics material. I cant believe that this person had no idea who Daniel Tosh was! If she had known who he was I would say that she should have known what type of show she was going to see. I mean his shown on Comedy central is hilarious, but he can say some stuff that is "borderline wtf I cant believed he said that" kinda stuff but hey hes that type of comedian. I really cant say that how he responded was acceptable but it did get her out of the show. Lets face it he kinda did her a favor, she wasn't going to enjoy anything else he said after his rape joke so why bother staying there. I for one dont care about jokes material because that's what they are, jokes. I'll admit if I was at that show I would have said good riddance after she left, but that's just me.

I guess her saying something was needed for herself and her morals, so good for her. However she shouldn't have a problem with Tosh ripping on her. She basically threw herself into the fire pit and she got burn bad. Was it right for him to put her on the spot....I honestly cant say but it wouldn't have happened if she had kept quite. I think if this particular person was a rape victim then her voicing her opinion about the subject would have steadier ground. Anyhow that's what I think.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#7 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

If "edgy" means lazy shock comments meant to get a reaction, well then, yeah, that's Tosh. My biggest problem was not him making jokes in the first place, it was his comment towards her. Why should she have kept quiet because he wished rape upon her afterwards, which, TBH, would seem like a very low possibility to some one in her position? He could have said something along the lines of, "Well, if you don't like that, you could leave." Instead, he chose to make the worst response he could have made in that situation, and he's getting the backlash he deserves because of it.

#8 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

There are many comics who will respond to hecklers and others when they are performing on stage

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#9 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (The Notorious L.I.D. @ Jul 10 2012, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are many comics who will respond to hecklers and others when they are performing on stage

True, but this is the worst I've ever heard.

#10 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

I still think this is the worst

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#11 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Not to sound insensitive or anything, but is this story really true? I would like to see more evidence to really understand the situation before I make my judgement like maybe someone recorded such an incident. No offense, but comics just get ripped on this stuff all the time and sometimes people exaggerate what really happened.

Now I am not saying Tosh is not capable of making such a joke, but I just want to see more evidence first than just word of mouth or a some blog post. That's just me.

I will say this in defense of Tosh though. Comics have to deal with hecklers all the time. Some are drunk and make rude comments during the show trying to ruin it. Some comedians take great offense to hecklers. Some work with the hecklers, others get really angry, and some throw hurtful jokes at them to humiliate them.

I will say that those who know Tosh know what kind of comedian he is. His jokes are very edgy and that is the stick he goes with because it works for him. Now some jokes are very hurtful, but does it really reflect who he is as a person? I don't think so seeing how Tosh sometimes embarrasses himself for other's amusement. Maybe Tosh was staying "in character" for the routine and felt it was wiser to do so. Some comedians act a certain way to put on a character even if it doesn't reflect their real views.

I don't think Tosh should be hated for the joke because edgy jokes like that existed even before Tosh became what he is. Look at South Park. South Park makes fun of everything and both Trey Parker and Matt Stone say that you either make fun of everything or you make fun of nothing.

So I am just saying there are two views to every story.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 11 July 2012 - 05:18 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#12 Chew

Chew

^ NaLu meine lub #ever1curr

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:omgawrsh y u do dis, Y U READING

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well, that was...an interesting read to see the least. I really don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, she interrupted his show which comedians hate, but on the other hand that retort was rather unnecessary o.o'
OTP and my Bby

#13 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

fyi: Tosh apologizes

>"Tosh tweets that his words were taken out of context -- but the comedian doesn't normally apologize for his coarse humor, so the statement on Twitter is interesting in itself."

Speaking to what everyone was commenting on.... You can't control the kind of crazy fans that are out there. Imagine if it five guys did find her and rape her...what kind of trouble do you think Tosh would be in? Heaps. Outside of the huge monetary sum he'd be hit with in civil court.

So yeah, a twitter apology is a little bit of a CYA in my book.

That's the difference between just responding to a heckler with...well, heckling, and responding with something that could be construed as a personal threat or inciting others to perform violent acts against the person. And Tosh has probably been made well aware of this.

It's a little surprising because Tosh is a seasoned crass, crude, ruffling-feathers comedian. He's probably had plenty of heckling in his career, and probably some that was way more personal than that. So it's surprising that instead of making a joke he just threw that threat right back at her. Which ironically wasn't very funny. Guess he should stick to his script!

Edited by tricksie, 11 July 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#14 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jul 11 2012, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fyi: Tosh apologizes

>"Tosh tweets that his words were taken out of context -- but the comedian doesn't normally apologize for his coarse humor, so the statement on Twitter is interesting in itself."

Speaking to what everyone was commenting on.... You can't control the kind of crazy fans that are out there. Imagine if it five guys did find her and rape her...what kind of trouble do you think Tosh would be in? Heaps. Outside of the huge monetary sum he'd be hit with in civil court.

So yeah, a twitter apology is a little bit of a CYA in my book.

Maybe. I think it's more to do with negative publicity, regardless of whether she ended up rape or not. If she were raped right there or right after then the apology is a day late and a buck short. Damage done.

If it happened a couple days later, I think her case would be well...kinda weak. Aside from the difficult task of proving that his words were the cause of the rape (outside a statement to the effect or proof he saw or was at the performance), I don't think it would survive Brandenburg.

For those that are interested: http://supreme.justi...5/444/case.html

But, regardless of whether he won or lost that case his reputation would be ruined.

It's a little surprising because Tosh is a seasoned crass, crude, ruffling-feathers comedian. He's probably had plenty of heckling in his career, and probably some that was way more personal than that. So it's surprising that instead of making a joke he just threw that threat right back at her. Which ironically wasn't very funny. Guess he should stick to his script!

I don't watch many comedians and I'd never heard of Tosh. Maybe I'm just too stupid to get it, but what on earth is funny about that? They entire audience though that was funny? Really?

I've never had much use for "shock value" as an art form.

#15 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 11 2012, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe. I think it's more to do with negative publicity, regardless of whether she ended up rape or not. If she were raped right there or right after then the apology is a day late and a buck short. Damage done.

If it happened a couple days later, I think her case would be well...kinda weak. Aside from the difficult task of proving that his words were the cause of the rape (outside a statement to the effect or proof he saw or was at the performance), I don't think it would survive Brandenburg.

For those that are interested: http://supreme.justi...5/444/case.html

But, regardless of whether he won or lost that case his reputation would be ruined.

Agreed. Just looking at the bigger picture, that even if all possible suits against him failed, it would probably bring his standup act to a standstill, and he would get a public black eye from the whole thing. Again, this is all based on worst-case, hypothetical situations all around.

And yeah, I don't think he's apologizing as much as he is doing damage control.

I don't watch many comedians and I'd never heard of Tosh. Maybe I'm just too stupid to get it, but what on earth is funny about that? They entire audience though that was funny? Really?

He just comes on after The Daily Show and Colbert, which I heart very much, and if I can't sleep I'll sometimes watch Tosh.0 (on the Comedy channel). It's moderately funny. Well, the clips are. But I don't care for his schtick. Yeah, shock art/comedy is not my thing either. (edit: sorry, Tosh.0 is comedy show where web clips are interspersed with Tosh's snarky commentary. It can get pretty offensive, pretty quickly, so usually I flip it off after the web clips, when it starts to delve into his act and set-up situations.)

That's what's so crazy about this whole thing: The girl who went to see him, didn't know that was his deal. Offensive comedy. She got offended over something that was offensive but within the context of his act.... But then he went and did something truly offensive and outside of the context of his comedy! It's nuts! She wasn't out to heckle him personally, but then he made it way worse the way he handled it!

What a couple of maroons.

Edited by tricksie, 11 July 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#16 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 11 2012, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't we just say it was a simple mistake and that's it? Yeah he intentionally did it and people screw up all the time. Shock Comedy is very tricky to do in itself because while it may be funny, it can also be very hurtful and controversial.

I don't find Dane Cook funny most of the time. Some have even said Dane Cook steals jokes from other comedians.

I just think it's one of those moments that he thought was funny in his head and turns out it wasn't. Nothing for nothing, but we all have done this in our lives at least once. We make a joke and it ends up hurting someone. At least Tosh apologized and that should be enough. If he continues to make some jokes, then yeah you can hate him, but can't people just let this one slide for once?

I want to add that if you think Tosh is out of line, yet watch and enjoy South Park, that show is just as offensive and makes similar jokes that some have gotten offended over. Yeah, rape is not funny and I am sorry for anyone who went through such things, but if I learned anything in life it's that you can't let it control how you live. If you do that, than you truly are not living beyond it. It's probably easier said than done, but I know it can be done.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 11 July 2012 - 06:01 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#17 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Jul 11 2012, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to add that if you think Tosh is out of line, yet watch and enjoy South Park, that show is just as offensive and makes similar jokes that some have gotten offended over. Yeah, rape is not funny and I am sorry for anyone who went through such things, but if I learned anything in life it's that you can't let it control how you live. If you do that, than you truly are not living beyond it. It's probably easier said than done, but I know it can be done.

I've met sexual assault victims. It's not the kind of thing you just...get over.

I would like to add that I do not watch Comedy Central, that includes South Park. I have seen episodes and I think Stone and Parker make plenty of valid points. But their over the top, shock value jokes are precisely why I can't watch it.

And it's not just that he made a rape joke, it's that he made it personal. And what reallys gets me is everyone laughed.

#18 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 11 2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've met sexual assault victims. It's not the kind of thing you just...get over.

I have girl friend who was sexually assaulted by her father when she was young and she is living a normal life as we speak. She is healthy, has a good job and lives her life to the fullest.

Yet I also have another friend who was sexually assaulted by his brother and now he can't even walk out of his house without being a train wreck. Whats your point?

It's not something you just "get over?" I have friends on both sides of the fence on that topic. Everyone is different. As I said, it "can" be done, but doesn't always. I also never said it was easy either, but to live your life in fear because of a terrible moment in your life is no life at all. When I was in therapy we are taught something, if you let a bad moment ruin your life; If you give in to the fears of bad moments, then the bad guys win. If your life is so damaged because of it, then they got you under their power. "The best way to deal with it is not give into it." -her words.

It is not an easy road to travel, but it is the best road to travel to truly let your life be free.

I would like to add that I do not watch Comedy Central, that includes South Park. I have seen episodes and I think Stone and Parker make plenty of valid points. But their over the top, shock value jokes are precisely why I can't watch it.

Fair enough, but to people who do watch things like South Park and then say that Tosh being out of line is surprising is just them being a hypocrite. The Boondocks for example is such a racist shows against black and sometimes white people. It promotes self-hating against the races, yet why does it stay on the air?

And it's not just that he made a rape joke, it's that he made it personal. And what reallys gets me is everyone laughed.

And in hindsight, if she never said anything then no damage would have been done or the situation would have blown over quickly and move on. And in this case everyone is to blame, not just Tosh. Tosh is blamed for making the joke, the women is blamed for antagonizing it, and the audience is blamed for enabling it.

So everyone is to blame. Should we blame the rapists who do such things. If rape didn't exist, then no horrible jokes would be made. I could keep going like some activist preaching about how everyone is wrong, and society is dying, but it's not really true is it? Every hurtful joke is personal. What if the joke was about religion? I heard a lot of Scientology jokes lately, are they personal? What if he made a joke about white people should I take it personal? Blacks? Hispanics? What about male/female jokes? Are they personal?

Look, I am not going to argue whether what he did was right or wrong. I am just saying that a lot of the arguments that people used have been used on jokes far less worse and taken just as personal. So, the only way to make everyone happy is to get rid of all jokes that revolve around people's way of living.

What I find just as bad though is that Tosh apologized for the joke and you guys brush it off saying he only did it for PR work. To keep up a good image. What if he was sincerely sorry for it? Should he be more personal, track down the lady and make a formal apology to her face giving her compensation or would you guys still think it was more PR work? Sometimes you got to give people the benefit of the doubt. He could have been a jerk and stand by his belief that he was right by what he did.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 11 July 2012 - 09:40 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#19 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Jul 11 2012, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bravo well said, I agree that you cant let events like that control your life. All I'll say is that I survived something traumatic that happened to me when I was younger. I didnt become a shell of a person afterwards, I got over it and didnt let it rule my life. Then again everyone is different and not everyone can do what I did. I guess all this comes down to sticks and stones ppl, remember words should never hurt. When you let something like words or statements get to you things get blown out of proportion.

Edited by Konohakitten, 11 July 2012 - 09:20 PM.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#20 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Jul 11 2012, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bravo well said, I agree that you cant let events like that control your life. All I'll say is that I survived something traumatic that happened to me when I was younger. I didnt become a shell of a person afterwards, I got over it and didnt let it rule my life. Then again everyone is different and not everyone can do what I did. I guess all this comes down to sticks and stones ppl, remember words should never hurt. When you let something like words or statements get to you things get blown out of proportion.

I am happy to say that I am proud of you for it. It probably wasn't easy to go through it and I am happy that you are brave enough to move on from it and live a life better. Whatever the event was, personal as it was, you are indeed a role model for everyone and that you help prove what I said is true.

I look up to people like you, Konohakitten, because it reminds me that I can have the strength to the do same and live a good normal happy life without fear.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 11 July 2012 - 09:35 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users