92 replies to this topic

#1 megi

megi

Resident Gardener

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hello everyone, I'm going to address the question about Sakura's Byakugou seal that I know many people had for a long time (including myself). This is very new information, and I was a bit hesitant to post so soon but there is enough evidence. Volume 66 just came out in Japan, and so Sakura's seal is in fact 百豪の印. Meaning 100 Strength Seal/ 100 Healings Seal. Whatever makes you happy.

I saw this and I wanted to make sure by getting my hands on the actual copy of volume 66 but I have to wait for a while for it.

I tried looking up for information and found someone say

"ジャンプでは「白豪」になっちゃってましたが「百豪」に訂正されてました"

"In Jump, it (百豪の印) turned into "White Strength", but it was corrected to "100 Strength".

This is a scan of Jump. It clearly shows that Sakura's seal is 白豪 "white strength"

632211.jpg

This is a scan of volume 66 (Thanks Chatte for outlining the Kanji, I am using her pictures)

Outlined is 百豪 "100 Strength/Healings" 

tumblr_msmhhuZfNh1ryce57o2_500.png

This is another scan of Jump, clearly showing 白豪 "white strength"

63421.jpg

This is another scan of volume 66 (Thanks Chatte again)

Outlined is 百豪 "100 Strength/Healings"

tumblr_msmhhuZfNh1ryce57o1_1280.png

百豪の印 (びゃくごうのいん) is what Sakura's seal canon name is.

Is it the same seal as Tsunade's? My answer is more than likely yes.

White is not related to Sakura's seal.

Jump made a mistake but it is changed for the volume, I hope this information clears up everyone's questions about the name of Sakura's seal and it's relation to Tsunade.

*If there is more info needed or gained, I will add to this post. Thanks!

Edit:

I will say that Tsunade's seal is canonically called 陰封印

while Sakura's is called 百豪の印

Edited by megi, 05 September 2013 - 05:41 AM.

tumblr_n17tev6vc61t0ss41o1_500.jpg

"You've got the need. You've got the dream" 絆ってなんだ?

GNS for life

#2 Atheck

Atheck

Ally of NaruSaku

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Well so much for unique techniques or abilities as a result of her seal. From the translation it seems like when she releases it the Byakugou jutsu will be used. Personally I suspected as much but it's saddening to actually witness it being confirmed because there was still an inkling of hope that perhaps the suspicion would be proven wrong. Many of us overestimated Kishi's willingness and patience to create new ideas or abilities for her character. Under any other circumstances it wouldn't be so bothersome but this can only result in disaster. 

The critical flaw in giving this jutsu to Sakura is that she doesn't have the same inherited longevity that Tsunade does. It's due to Tsunade's heritage that she is able to withstand the effects of Byakugou with minimal detriment. On the other hand, Sakura presumably only has the lifespan of a normal woman. She can't endure the constant cellular division if a fatal wound were to be inflicted. It's for that reason that Sozo Saisei and Byakugou jutsu are classified as kinjutsu. You might as well have taught her the Multi Shadow Clone jutsu since they both have a profound impact on the user's body if they lack the physical traits needed to handle it.

Unless Kishi has something else in mind for the seal when it's released then Sakura's time alive may be cut to only a few decades (at best) when she is forced to release it and regenerate from wounds. 

Edited by Atheck, 05 September 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#3 megi

megi

Resident Gardener

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

I got the same feeling as you Atheck. I was super bummed the whole time I wrote this post.

A quick change of 白 to 百 in post and so many theories go down the drain.

I'm positive they are the same, I actually think Tsunade's seal was referenced as 百豪

I'll fact check it tomorrow though. Maybe I'm wrong haha.

GNS for life

#4 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

Thanks Megi!

I wonder why the name would have been incorrectly published so many times?  Could Kishimoto have changed things?

Hopefully the name of the seal refers to the technique of concentrating and saving a lot of Chakra in one place, and there will be a difference with regards to the differences in the possible techniques.  But, I won't hold my breath.  For all we know, Kishimoto won't even bother having her release the seal...bah.

Edit:

I will say that Tsunade's seal is canonically called 陰封印

while Sakura's is called 百豪の印

I know absolutely no Japanese, so I apologize if this is a really idiotic question, but would you mind translating Tsunade's seal above?  I'm not doubting you, or your analysis, I'm just curious and would like to understand why those two would be the same?  Sorry!

The critical flaw in giving this jutsu to Sakura is that she doesn't have the same inherited longevity that Tsunade does. It's due to Tsunade's heritage that she is able to withstand the effects of Byakugou with minimal detriment. On the other hand, Sakura presumably only has the lifespan of a normal woman. She can't endure the constant cellular division if a fatal wound were to be inflicted. It's for that reason that Sozo Saisei and Byakugou jutsu are classified as kinjutsu. You might as well have taught her the Multi Shadow Clone jutsu since they both have a profound impact on the user's body if they lack the physical traits needed to handle the it.

Unless Kishi has something else in mind for the seal when it's released then Sakura's time alive may be cut to only a few decades (at best) when she is forced to release it and regenerate from wounds. 

Hopppppefully Kishimoto remembers the above, and does expand upon it, but who knows?  I wouldn't be surprised either way.  Kishimoto is great at forgetting about characters not named Naruto or Sasuke (though, he's relatively good at remember Shikamaru).  It wouldn't surprise me if he just ignored addressing the negative possibilities of Sakura using those jutsu, in order to give her something without having to spend much time on the character.  Oh well.

Edited by morgaine4, 05 September 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#5 Dkey

Dkey

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I can't believe how much trouble thi seal caused us.

As for byakugo. As Atheck said she mqy have unlocked an ability that can do more harm in the long run. Then why did Tsunade teach her this seal. From what we know we can assume that Tsunade has senju uzumaki genes inside. It's highly unlikely that she didn't inherit anything relating to his grandfather or grandmother and instead inherit the body characteristics of the other parent that is born from other grand parents, individuals that may have had normal traits similar to Sakura.
So I assume that indeed Tsunade saw some potential in Sakura hopefully one in which Sakura could perfect in some way.

#6 megi

megi

Resident Gardener

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thanks Megi!

I wonder why the name would have been incorrectly published so many times?  Could Kishimoto have changed things?

Hopefully the name of the seal refers to the technique of concentrating and saving a lot of Chakra in one place, and there will be a difference with regards to the differences in the possible techniques.  But, I won't hold my breath.  For all we know, Kishimoto won't even bother having her release the seal...bah.

I know absolutely no Japanese, so I apologize if this is a really idiotic question, but would you mind translating Tsunade's seal above?  I'm not doubting you, or your analysis, I'm just curious and would like to understand why those two would be the same?  Sorry!

I know, all the times that her seal was being referenced, it was clearly using 白豪...

Sure!  陰封印 is the Yin Seal (Yin as in Yin-Yang), this Kanji is used when Tsunade first releases her seal (which is known as the Yin seal)

百豪の印 is the 100 Healings/Strength Seal. We see this first when Sakura finishes creating her seal.

Apparently, they are synonymous unless Kishi says.

GNS for life

#7 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thannnnnk you, Megi!  =)

I'm really curious about the discrepancy, why would it be incorrectly multiple times (is it often that there are large difference between the weekly version and the volume version?)?  I could think of two possibilities in which it was purposefully changed:  1.  (more likely?) Kishimoto initially wanted Sakura's seal to be different, but got lazy, and got bored with the character and decided to change it in the volume version so that he wouldn't bother.  2.  (less likely) Kishimoto realized it wouldn't make sense for Shizune and Katsuyu to use the actual name of Sakura's seal/jutsu (that would be too big a spoiler), and decided to have those two characters default to using Tsunade's seal's name.

#8 Dkey

Dkey

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thannnnnk you, Megi!  =)

I'm really curious about the discrepancy, why would it be incorrectly multiple times (is it often that there are large difference between the weekly version and the volume version?)?  I could think of two possibilities in which it was purposefully changed:  1.  (more likely?) Kishimoto initially wanted Sakura's seal to be different, but got lazy, and got bored with the character and decided to change it in the volume version so that he wouldn't bother.  2.  (less likely) Kishimoto realized it wouldn't make sense for Shizune and Katsuyu to use the actual name of Sakura's seal/jutsu (that would be too big a spoiler), and decided to have those two characters default to using Tsunade's seal's name.

I don't know it feels a bit off to have Kishi do that. I think it was a mistake. Well we will learn more when Sakura will be focused again. Hopefully next volume.

#9 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

So the seal is more or less the same as Tsunade? Well I have seen this coming.

That said people may be wondering what does this mean for Sakura. Well for one thing, she is known to control better and at a faster rate, which been said many times. That is where her feat comes from: surpassing Tsunade in that trait. That being said is this all going to be. I am not going to say yes or no, because we are still going and I guess the effect of impatient is coming back (thanks Naruto, Minato, and Obito. And thank you Sasuke for nothing). So I am not going to do anything but wait. Slow and steady wins the race, you know. Wait until everything is over. When it does, with the same status, then by all means, rage. Right now, well obviously not the good game. But since some of you are fixated on moon eye plan, perhaps we will never see her power, eh. Just kidding, but really, I'll wait.

You know, if only we know everything about the seal, especially from Mito, none of this speculation would have happen. I always thought it is the same. That said what can be done with it is in question and again, Kishi has a habit of "Can't talk, must focus on this theme." Well, could have been worse, it could be done with all explanation with no time for character's progress. Looking at you, The Last Airbender Movie...

#10 Atheck

Atheck

Ally of NaruSaku

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

So the seal is more or less the same as Tsunade? Well I have seen this coming.

That said people may be wondering what does this mean for Sakura. Well for one thing, she is known to control better and at a faster rate, which been said many times. That is where her feat comes from: surpassing Tsunade in that trait. That being said is this all going to be. I am not going to say yes or no, because we are still going and I guess the effect of impatient is coming back (thanks Naruto, Minato, and Obito. And thank you Sasuke for nothing). So I am not going to do anything but wait. Slow and steady wins the race, you know. Wait until everything is over. When it does, with the same status, then by all means, rage. Right now, well obviously not the good game. But since some of you are fixated on moon eye plan, perhaps we will never see her power, eh. Just kidding, but really, I'll wait.

You know, if only we know everything about the seal, especially from Mito, none of this speculation would have happen. I always thought it is the same. That said what can be done with it is in question and again, Kishi has a habit of "Can't talk, must focus on this theme." Well, could have been worse, it could be done with all explanation with no time for character's progress. Looking at you, The Last Airbender Movie...

There's no such thing as "surpassing" someone with internal components that make them biologically superior to you when using a jutsu that exhausts the capacity for cells to divide. Every person's body is bound by the Hayflick Limit and you can't overcome this inhibitor with physical training. Tsunade's genetic advantage is what allows her to use this jutsu in the first place. Without it she might very well have aged prematurely to the point of caducity after having Byakugou active just a few times. Sakura isn't able to compensate for that because she lacks the familial ties to Rikudou Sennin. Chakra control becomes irrelevant since it's been established that the cells don't actually regenerate or materalise from chakra, instead they're stimulated by proteins to heighten their division.

All Kishi did here was shoot himself in the foot by giving such a dangerous jutsu to Sakura. The drawbacks aren't preventable since they're what makes the regeneration possible in the first place. The only conceivable way to ensure that Sakura's life isn't shortened is if she doesn't use Sozo Saisei and Byakugou jutsu.

#11 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the help, Megi. I thoguht something was wrong. Now, to be honest, I am even more confused and a bit disappointed...

2d617bda57e68a9871d0769988a82b4b93870803

Still rambling about Naruto/NaruSaku stuff on

https://chatte-georgiana.com

#12 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

I don't know it feels a bit off to have Kishi do that. I think it was a mistake. Well we will learn more when Sakura will be focused again. Hopefully next volume.

Heh, well that's the logical assumption (and well, I would never call myself all that logical).  I just find it strange that it was copied incorrectly and missed by the editor twice (and I do love the idea of potential conspiracies).

Every person's body is bound by the Hayflick Limit and you can't overcome this inhibitor with physical training.

Unlessssss Sakura's performed tests on her body, and found a way to use Carnosine to reduce the rate at which cellular senescence occurs in her body.  Not that I actually think this will be explored, if Kishimoto has Sakura release her seal (which he probably will), he'll probably have the character do something to show that she's surpassed Tsunade without addressing the complications with regards to her using regenerative jutsu.  But it would be super-intresting if he decided to go this route, the potential moral/ethical questions that could be explored if one of the "good guys" performed genetic manipulations on themselves, and the potential temptation Sakura could feel with respect to testing subjects.

#13 Kster95

Kster95

Cat Sage

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Naruto, bleach, Sword Art Online, Young Justice, Game of thrones, Legend of Korra, Cats, Heroes

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

I have always been confused about this seal and it's justus. Sakura was able to get the seal but didn't activate it, yet she got a big power boost? What did getting the seal do? Just allow her to use her chakra freely? Wouldn't it have Disapeared since she has been using her chakra?

Sorry but I have read the wiki pages and it still confuses me.

43iduct.jpg

#14 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Who knows? I think for me this is the biggest disappointment, to be honest... In the end, maybe all the haters out there were right... Kishi doesn't give a flying kitten about Sakura, excuse my language.

#15 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Slug sage mode :P

#16 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

But there are so many problems with Sakura getting SSM, unless she uses her seal to have a great enough well of chakra to be able to use SSM?  We'll have to play the waiting game, he showcased Sakura a bit then nearly immediately sidelined her.  It's not that surprising, this manga's always been primarily about Naruto and Sasuke (though Shikamaru did get some development).

#17 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Why not? It could be use in the next arc.

#18 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I am dropping everything I ever believed Kishi could do with her. The potential is so much and it's there but he doesn't care enough, it seems. So wheter he does something or not, my hopes this time are literally dropped. Yeah, I like some stuff in this manga but on the other hand, Kishi has disappointed me to the point I cannot ever believe that he'll do something great with her.

It's too late anyway... so many years of wasted development with her. No wonder people perceive her the way they do...

#19 六道仙人

六道仙人

レヴィ 好き

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Nice catch. I didn't have check the volume. Anyway it seems a bit odd that Kishomoto and Jump's staff have written 白豪 (White strength) so repeatedly in different chapters instead of 百豪 (Centenary strength) O_o"

Maybe Kishimoto originally had in mind a different name for Sakura's technique but then he have changed his mind because he didn't know what kinda different powers could give to Sakura compared with Tsunade?

は天才バスケットマン桜木花道。

"I'm the Basketball genius, Hanamichi Sakuragi"

uvoJkhc.png

#20 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

That would only prove that in this area, he's such a bad writer...

But I am a bit curious... I mean, why first write like that and later change in a volume? How these things happen, who changes them? I am a bit confused...

Edited by Chatte, 05 September 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sakura Haruno, Byakugou, Byakugou Seal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users