Close
Photo

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U) and Shattered Crystal (3DS)

Sonic the Hedgehog rebooted series

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Its official:

EDIT: More information here: http://kotaku.com/me...game-1517561472

Note: It's not a total reboot to the original series, more like a spin-off.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#2 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hmm I like Knuckles's old look better

#3 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Inside pics of the game, not to mention the TV show:

(Oh wow, I have the photo set as a slideshow here, nice).

latest?cb=20140126021943

#4 K9ofChaos

K9ofChaos

f**k the establishment! I'm a bunny!

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hm, perhaps the tv show this game is based on won't be so bad if the footage they've shown is any indication.

My only real complaint with this trailer was the use of dubstep. (God I hate that crappy sound.)

#5 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

I'll give it a shot, but only Tails and Amy look anything close to their designs. And it's always been a personal quirk of mine, but I hate it when people color Sonic's arms blue :P

Inside pics of the game, not to mention the TV show:

(Oh wow, I have the photo set as a slideshow here, nice).

So it's a blackscreen? Lol

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#6 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Knuckles looks like he hit the gym a bit too much, but otherwise it's looking promising. I'd like to see what they can pull off with this and Robotnik looks a bit more menacing this time around, but will he be the main villain though?

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#7 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Gym, Martial Arts, Property

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for this, Derock. I've been scouring the web regularly since that teaser pic first came out back in October, and I was sure that some new developments would be coming up soon.

Hm, perhaps the tv show this game is based on won't be so bad if the footage they've shown is any indication.

Same here; while the redesigns are gonna take a while to grow on me, I do think it shows promise. And if the game play turns out to be a winner then I'd consider integrating it into the main series. I'll wait and see how things turn out before I make a full opinion.

I'll give it a shot, but only Tails and Amy look anything close to their designs. And it's always been a personal quirk of mine, but I hate it when people color Sonic's arms blue :P

You're not alone there, I feel the same way. :P

If the show and game turn out ok then I'd say aspects of them should be integrated into the main series, maybe even SOME of the attire changes, but ATM, it's looking a bit too different from the iconic looks the characters are renowned for. But if it's a hit then hey, more power to them.

Edited by Quinny52, 06 February 2014 - 11:42 PM.

If there's one thing I have learned In my short time on this Earth

Devotion should be owed not earned Only you determine what you're worth

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#8 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

You're not alone there, I feel the same way. :P

If the show and game turn out ok then I'd say aspects of them should be integrated into the main series, maybe even SOME of the attire changes, but ATM, it's looking a bit too different from the iconic looks the characters are renowned for. But if it's a hit then hey, more power to them.

All I'm concerned about is the arms....ARGH!!! But, I'll look pass that if the previews aren't just traps

#9 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

So here's the info so far:

* The game is the prequel to the upcoming cartoon series.

* Comes out for WiiU and 3DS (This is the third Sonic game for Nintendo)

* Focusing more on a near-wide open linear action adventure game aspects, speed still in the game but more focusing on character-specific abilities. (I.E. combat-oriented)

* There is a new mechanic, "Enerbeam" sort of reminiscent of Knuckles Chaotix

* 4-Players/Multiplayer support and cooperative (Thank GOD!)

* Developed by Big Red Button studios for WiiU (ex-Naughty Dogs employees), Christian Senn from Sonic X-Treme is co-lead developer

* 3DS version is going to be different, handle by Sanzaru Studios (they did Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time).

* Advertise to appeal for the Western Sonic fans, not even sure if this will follow the same route as Sonic Chronicles. Though Takashi Iizuka, current head of the Sonic series is overseeing the production.

* Spin-off that going to separate main canon (likely going for sequels if this is a big hit).

Of course Eggman's is in, although are the rest of the SegaSonic cast (Shadow, Rouge, Chaotix, Mighty?!) are going to appear as well? We'll find out later.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#10 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Someone needs to tell Knuckles the pitfalls of taking Steroids. I wasn't exactly happy to see that Sonic Team are not working on the game, but the studio that is making the game Big Red Button or something was founded by two former Naughty Dog employees, so they have experience of working on both Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter, So the potential is there, and the gameplay trailer looks good...my biggest worry is the fact that even though the development studio was founded in 2008 this will be their first game...you have to wonder what they've been doing this past six years.

iAnby7W.gif

#11 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

Happy to see something official, and I must say I like what I see. For starters I love Sonic's look ♥ This is the tallest I've seen him and his height looks good to me. They did a great job with his proportions. That and the bandages and extra quills were cool too. I honestly didn't even notice that his arms are blue, but that doesn't bother me now that I notice. Anyhow I love Knuckles!! Most ppl aren't too happy with his bulky but to me his look fits him. I mean whenever I pictured Knuckles I always imagined him bigger. He's the melee fighter of the game who not only climbs walls, but also digs and burrows through the ground. So I always imagined him bigger and stronger then Sonic. Now it looks like I got my wish and his huge size can now match his massive ego too :D

The rest of the character were ok. Tails is basically the same but I saw that he has some kind of gun in the game. That and Amy seems light on her feet. She looks like she can defiantly take care of herself which is nice because I want her to shine in this game!! She needs to show everyone that she just isnt a fangirl! The movement in the game and show looks smooth and fluid, I fell in love instantly. I also got a kick out of Sonic giving Eggman a hard time XD Im truly hopeful that Sonic Boom does well :3 it really looks promising. 

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#12 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

So I'm guessing this is the planned reboot of the series Sega was talking about for a while... I was hoping something a bit more traditional, but it looks like it holds a lot of promise and hopefully we'll get use to Knuckles more Brock Lesnar build. xD

"They don't want none"

#13 Superman333

Superman333

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:getting the girl of my dreams to be mine(she is the Sakura-Chan of my life) ,Sonic the Hedgehog, making it to the NBA and being a better Point Guard than Rajon Rondo and then when I retire be a mangaka .

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I love Sonic, hes my favorite character of all time, I grew up on Sonic, I like him even more than Superman. Sonic is number 1, with unlimited speed. This game looks great, when does it come out?

Posted Image

#14 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

Trailer for the TV Show:

Uh, I already posted it in its cartoon thread: http://www.narusaku....=13042&p=513794

latest?cb=20140126021943

#15 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

So I'm guessing this is the planned reboot of the series Sega was talking about for a while... I was hoping something a bit more traditional, but it looks like it holds a lot of promise and hopefully we'll get use to Knuckles more Brock Lesnar build. xD

I heard this is a spin-off that may effect the canon Sonic depending on the success

#16 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

More info: http://www.computera...nventing-sonic/

Key notes:

* Development started around 2011 (Good start, that means this game isn't going to be rushed unlike previous Sonic games), SEGA approached Big Red Studios

* Development was started way before the Nintendo deal (Crap, we could've got it on 360 and PS3, not sure for next-gen though)

* We can switch characters in single player (like in the Lego franchise games)

* Game is mostly 2-player co-op, branched into 4-players

* We may get sequels if this is successful (so the series will branch out similar to Mega Man)

latest?cb=20140126021943

#17 K9ofChaos

K9ofChaos

f**k the establishment! I'm a bunny!

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

More info: http://www.computera...nventing-sonic/

Key notes:

* Development started around 2011 (Good start, that means this game isn't going to be rushed unlike previous Sonic games), SEGA approached Big Red Studios

* Development was started way before the Nintendo deal (Crap, we could've got it on 360 and PS3, not sure for next-gen though)

* We can switch characters in single player (like in the Lego franchise games)

* Game is mostly 2-player co-op, branched into 4-players

* We may get sequels if this is successful (so the series will branch out similar to Mega Man)

It would be interesting if Sega fully embraced the multiverse idea for their flagship series. They kinda already have, but those are the comics we're talking about. It's different because Sega never really made a separate video game continuity before. 

Also, I saw that trailer for the tv show, it actually looks like it has potential. Especially since that banter between Sonic and Eggman about the misleading name for that type of robot was genuinely funny. I'll give the show the chance, I'll just have to be cautiously optimistic about it.

#18 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Development since 2011 huh... Should be a great game based on how long it's had

#19 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

So it's been in development for three years? That's either a good thing or a bad thing, but in this case let's hope its a good thing because Sonic could use a good game and one that gives him a fresh start.

"They don't want none"

#20 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

More stuff:

Map and upgrades on the GamePad in addition to the main use which will be revealed later on
Adventure game with currency and upgrades for individuals and the team
Generally more easy as it's geared for kids. Harder gameplay comes from basically being more skilled in combat and exploration.
Levels are all connected by the story and location
Primarily 2 characters at a time, but 4 in the hubs and bosses
You have to use certain characters for certain parts
Really making a deal that it's character driven
Definitely going to see other characters
Lots of inspiration from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations.
"There are no Chaos Emeralds in this world."

... No Chaos Emeralds, meaning no Super Sonic and no Master Emerald requirement for Knuckles.

And yes, the upgrades return. I missed them back in Adventure 2.

latest?cb=20140126021943

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sonic the Hedgehog, rebooted series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users