12 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

I live out in the country with only dial-up internet access available "The dinosaur of internet connection" and a net 10 pre-paid phone. I wanted to know what would be better to have a smartphone like iphone/blackberry or a laptop (like a dell) with a laptop connect card. I know watching Naruto and Bleach Anime online with the laptop with a bigger screen would be better but is the smartphone screen just as good? Overall which would be worth more bang for the buck?

Edited by Uzumakikage, 13 August 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#2 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Well I have both but the laptop would be the better investment. Iphone is a handy portable device which I can use to my convenience when I can't bring my big laptop to a place without looking overly obscure. However, I don't use it when I'm home and rather watch something on my laptop with the wider 17' screen compared to a 3.2' screen. However, a laptop is still expensive and would run you around $900 (if you want one with moderate capabilities) while the Iphone is around $300, but the difference is clearly remarkable between the two so a laptop would be the better choice. Also, internet access will cost you about $30 a month for the Iphone and around $40 for the broadband card for a laptop.

Depending on your budget I'd probably buy a laptop instead since it will last you a good few years. You don't really need a smartphone unless your job requires it or you like wasting money. You could go for an HP Mini 1151NR Netbook with a Verizon deal. It would cost $199.99 with a two-year agreement on a mobile broadband plan and internet access starts from $40 a month.

A laptop and smartphone are vastly different from one another. It'd honestly depend on your budget when deciding which one to get. If you can afford it I'd stick with a laptop + broadband card.

#3 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (True @ Aug 13 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I have both but the laptop would be the better investment. Iphone is a handy portable device which I can use to my convenience when I can't bring my big laptop to a place without looking overly obscure. However, I don't use it when I'm home and rather watch something on my laptop with the wider 17' screen compared to a 3.2' screen. However, a laptop is still expensive and would run you around $900 (if you want one with moderate capabilities) while the Iphone is around $300, but the difference is clearly remarkable between the two so a laptop would be the better choice. Also, internet access will cost you about $30 a month for the Iphone and around $40 for the broadband card for a laptop.

Depending on your budget I'd probably buy a laptop instead since it will last you a good few years. You don't really need a smartphone unless your job requires it or you like wasting money. You could go for an HP Mini 1151NR Netbook with a Verizon deal. It would cost $199.99 with a two-year agreement on a mobile broadband plan and internet access starts from $40 a month.

A laptop and smartphone are vastly different from one another. It'd honestly depend on your budget when deciding which one to get. If you can afford it I'd stick with a laptop + broadband card.

Thanks True

Yeah, I was thinking more about a laptop myself. Does Verizon or AT&T have the better broadband card? I seen were they also got these new Mi-Fi cards out by Verizon that can connect multiple devices to the Laptop. (be handy when hooking up my 360 to the computer)

Edited by Uzumakikage, 13 August 2009 - 04:15 PM.

#4 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have AT&T for my phone and Verizon FIOS for my home network. I'd probably go for the Verizon deal since they are cheaper but still offer better quailty in my opinion. You can check if it's available in your area by filling in your residence info here.

#5 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

Laptop. No matter how 'good' a smartphone is, it simply can't compare with a laptop's screen, memory, sound, etc.

I myself have a laptop with a Sprint Mobile Broadband card, and I absolutely love it. I can take my laptop anywhere with me, and have instant internet connection to do whatever I want to do online :3

#6 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

I have both a laptop and a smartphone (iPhone). What I will tell you about the iPhone the Naruto files (if you download them)won't automatically play on it. They only play the mp4 files. So you will need a PC or laptop to convert the files. Otherwise you'll have to stream the vids. And althought I don't really mind watching movies on my smartphone when I'm on the go (planes, etc) I think any Anime with subtitles on such a small screen might not be as much fun.

And just as FYI. I watch Naruto on my PC at home because it has the biggest screen in the house. I would watch it in the home theatre downstairs, but I like being able to surf the web and do things on the computer while I watch from my desk.

So to answer your question, it really depends on what you really need outside of watching anime. Will you still have a PC? How mobile are you? If you're always away from home and lugging around a laptop may be an issue for you...maybe the smartphone is the way to go for you. If you're a coffee shop type or were wanting to replace your current PC or laptop, I would definitely say get the laptop. The laptop is much more versatile, it's just bigger and not as mobile.

#7 NuclearRaven

NuclearRaven

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Video games, and band.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Dude I have both and I recomend both if you have that option. I'm on my laptop right now! Sorry I just got it today.
Spock it, lock it, rocket, explode it, reload it.

#8 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

The HP Mini Netbook from Verizon sounds like a good deal True but you think having only 1 GB is enough memory? I may get a dell Studio XPS or an Alienware sounds nice for the top of the line but the price tag scares me a little.

What about the Broadband being out of the central location Hotspot, does it still maintain a good high speed internet connection?

Edited by Uzumakikage, 15 August 2009 - 06:14 AM.

#9 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

It comes down to what you need it for. If you watch anime. A Combo of Laptop plus net card is better since you want to watch good quality anime. Also overall a smartphone still lacks certain capabilities of a laptop, though a laptop lacks mobility. It is whether you walk and travel a lot or you're stationary.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#10 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Aug 14 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The HP Mini Netbook from Verizon sounds like a good deal True but you think having only 1 GB is enough memory? I may get a dell Studio XPS or an Alienware sounds nice for the top of the line but the price tag scares me a little.

What about the Broadband being out of the central location Hotspot, does it still maintain a good high speed internet connection?

1GB is enough to watch anime on XP, and I'm pretty sure most netbooks are running XP SP3. biggrin.gif

#11 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

Macbook Pro vs. PC (Dell Studio XPS), which one do you think would be the better overall Laptop. I am a little weary about a Mac.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 19 September 2009 - 11:07 PM.

#12 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

I only have a laptop (which isn't really mine). But there are sometimes where I'm not at home and I need to check an email or something and I can't because my cellphone isn't smart, actually it's a piece of crap, but anyways, that's only my opinion.

#13 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Sep 19 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Macbook Pro vs. PC (Dell Studio XPS), which one do you think would be the better overall Laptop. I am a little weary about a Mac.

Depends on what you're going to be using the laptop for.

Macs are mainly for editing video, pictures, etc. Macs are more stable and are less susceptible for getting viruses.
BUT. If you're planning to use the laptop for gaming, I would suggest getting a PC.

Besides, Macs are overpriced. D:<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users