• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

I needs me a new one BD

Any suggestions on ones better and/or cheaper than Norton? PD

edit:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! And here's an update--

I have spyware and I needa get rid of it w/out reformatting (if that exists that is) ... plz halp? :<

edit 2:

Spyware Protect 2009 is a problem still D:

; Pop-ups galore =n=

#2 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

AVG?

Symantec? >DDD

#3 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

This is the one that I use, and it does the job of a professional *paid* virus protection program, but is completely *free* :3

Avast

#4 NarutoxNSxSakura

NarutoxNSxSakura

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

I agree with SB. I highly suggest using Avast! I've had to fix too many computers that use AVG. On several occasions I've actually uninstalled AVG and installed Avast!.

Along with Avast however, I suggest using Adaware Anniversary edition. It's a very good scanner and spyware/cookie remover for your computer and a good back-up. The links for both are below.

Adaware:

http://www.download....4-10045910.html

Avast!:

http://www.download....4-10019223.html

Edited by NarutoxNSxSakura, 28 February 2009 - 12:30 AM.

#5 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

Norton sucks. Every scan picks up a tracking cookies. I ran two scans in a row, and there was still a tracking cookie >.> Stupid Yahoo
. Don't Press the red button

#6 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:40 AM

Kaspersky is the reputed to be the best of the commercial virus scanners; I use it on my laptop, because it has special features just for laptop users.

For my desktop, AVG (Free version -- there is a paid version, but I found the paid version too clunky) version 7.5 (more recent versions get bloated and will give you problems, but v. 7.5 still gets updates and is better than any of the more recent versions; Older versions are unsupported, and newer versions aren't as good. I have no experience with Avast, though it does have a reputation for giving false positives) is about as good as any paid-for virus scanner. Most of the professional paid-for viruscanners have become bloated to the point of uselessness, so a free one is generally the way to go.

And, as much as I used to champion Adaware, they, too, have gotten too bloated to be functional. I now use SUPERAntiSpyware, (which also has a free version, but the free version is on-demand scanning only; which is perfect for me, since I much prefer on-demand scanning only interfaces with some of the heavy-resource demanding applications I run) and that has proven to be even more effective than Adaware.

This is a good website to look at for free security (and other) software recommendations; it does extensive testing of the whole bunch.

Edited by desaix, 28 February 2009 - 02:51 AM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#7 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

Unfortunately Kaspersky has slipped in the recent past and had their customer database hacked by a (claimed) simple exploit.

Though, when I tried Kaspersky, it was good and it's installation didn't hurt.

NOD32 is another great virus protection software.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#8 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:00 AM

Not a fan of AVG. I've seen it mess up too many systems and they even stated they messed up with ther software where it removes system files that are needed or causes browsing issues regardless of what browser you use. I still use spybot and Anti-Vir. Old school yes, but still does what i need it to do.

Just my 2 cents.

#9 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

@shaunama: Avast huh? Arrrgh, haven't tried it yet but I'll be sure to update once I do. It's just that I've researched a few things and I noted that Avast wasn't in those lists. Though... first-hand recs do usually work best xD I'll see, thanks (:

@NarutoxNS: HAY THANKS YOU 8D but... um, well... NAH. Yesyes looks like I might have some more extreme spyware on my laptop cos I tried out your Adaware (thanks for the link dawg) and I'm still getting notices from another annoying program that came with the fake vista D: "Spyware Protect 2009" is the program and it's still telling me spyware alerts even after my Adaware full system scan. So... maybe it's just me but Adaware isn't working =/

@kirby: yeah no doubt XD I've read alotta reports where the norton auto-renewal would go on itself and charge on the user's credit card w/out consent. ooops >w> xDD

@desaix: Hmmmmm.... choicesss choicesss. WEELLL in any case thank you desx XD I'll check out the one you suggested since you seem to have had experience in the programs that have been suggested! That and I'm seriously at the end of my rope D: I'm infected with all kinds of spyware and I really need to find a way to remove them without completely killing my laptop :<

Anyway on that note I was wondering if these programs get rid of spyware by any chance? Or... if you guys have any suggestions on somehow getting rid of what I have? ...without reformatting my entire harddrive? That's the thing I'm trying to avoid, of course. XDDD;

baww i hate thissss TnT

#10 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:04 AM

I had the Spyware Protect 2009 protect pop up on one of my computers too. I finally got rid of it, but for some reason it still links me to it in firefox when I click on a link. Bah. BS. I'll try to re-install firefox 2 on that thing and see if it's a firefox thing. But as for you... if it keeps popping up in your taskbar and refuses to go away, just go hit search on your computer and type in "Sysguard" something like that. It's under system guard for that spyware 2009 thing. When the results pop up, just delete it. Plain and simple. It'll stop popping up.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#11 NarutoxNSxSakura

NarutoxNSxSakura

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:15 AM

Ah yes, the ever fun lasting Spyware Protect 2009 virus. It's no real threat, it's just really, really, really annoying...There's actually a really simple way of getting ride of this annoying virus...Did I mention it was annoying?

First, follow the link....second download....third, you have to run a FULL system scan, not quick system scan.

LINK:

http://www.download....4-10804572.html

Of course, Onionheads suggestion works too....

If neither suggestion works for some reason, I will start giving you more technical advice...of course, I should haven't to. What you have is a pretty common problem...haha. After scaning, you may uninstall this problem. You only need to install when you need it. No reason to keep it on your hard drive....

Edited by NarutoxNSxSakura, 28 February 2009 - 06:16 AM.

#12 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:46 AM

Krisk, I would check out this antivirus if you don't mind spending a little money. smile.gif

Trend Micro PC-cillin

It's not as well known as Norton and McAfee, but it has had a lot of positive reviews. For one, it doesn't force you to "upgrade" to a newer version of its program. According to some reviews, it also picked up threats that both Norton and McAfee missed in places like the system registry.

I use AVG Free at present, but I'm considering getting this. I also recommend both Spybot: Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Also, if you use Mozilla Firefox, download and install its Adblock Plus plugin! The best way to stop spyware is to stop them getting into your PC in the first place. smile.gif You can put some websites on the whitelist if you trust their adverts won't install spyware, so you can help support them with clicks.

#13 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

I use TrendMicro for my laptop and have had it for about a year and a half and no viruses/spyware have entered my laptop. The only time it asks you to upgrade is whenever you need a new subscription and they offer a $10 off if you do it by online. Very reliable and a good program if you are willing to spend some cash on anti-virus. If not then as others have suggested I'd go with Avast which is a good free program and does a nice job.

Also for spyware from the internet I suggest deleting any cookies/temporary files that are saved onto your computer because they can be harmful if you leave them unchecked. Just takes a few moments to clear them out every now and then.

#14 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

@Leechyan: DOODE. YOU. YES. ...kinda. XD I went ahead and searched for "Sysguard" and it brought up two files as results (was that enough btw?) and I went ahead and deleted one of them. The other, "sysguard" came in at about 350 KBs, wouldn't delete because it's either under write-protection or being used. And it's probably the former because I went into the task manager and it wasn't running. Though I dunno if that counts cos it seems to be annoyingly active B:<

@NS: XD yuuup, I now know what you mean. It keeps on bringing up this spyware asking if I wanna block it right? Well I do. Okay fine block it for me, all-knowing great Spyware Protect. It does. And then? Same thing...it tells me that it wants to block it again. And then another HUGE pop-up comes up saying that I'm "unprotected" and that I should get their program or I will die. XDDD Heh-soos.

Anyway Lee-chyan's suggestion half worked (it got rid of 1 out of 2 files) and unfortunately that wasn't enough. And on that note, would it be too much trouble to ask for that technical help? The... HAHAHA the link you provided won't load up. XDDDD;

Aw man this is fan-freaking-tastic. *bludgeons STD filled laptop* D:

@Smitey: HIYA SMITEY! Looks like my problem's so bad it brought you out huh? Golly gee, dunno if that's a good thing or not XDDD

Anyway! Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and took ya up on the Adblock Plus plugin. :3 I hadn't had any problems with pop-ups before when I was protected, but I guess since everything's screwed up this bad I should take every precaution suggested huh? Beeeeh. Dx

And, wow new programs XDDD Oki dokes. Hurgh, doesn't look like I have much choice, so I'll check out whatcha got too XP Besides, the words "search and destroy" are like Christmas morning to me right now :<

#15 Hefster

Hefster

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Well the easiest way to avoid evil spyware is to not go to certain websites that are known for spreading them like flies. Or simply stop going online tongue.gif

There now that the jokes are aside...

If you are willing to spend money, go with Kapersky. Otherwise I am personally using AVG Free and never had problems. I heard about Avast but never got around to trying it out because I am one lucky person that still has been Virus free for I don't know how many years of living in the internet.

For spyware, go with the usual AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy combo. I never ran into anything that neither of the two could not remove. If one failed the other one normally picked up the slack.

Of course Smiter's Adblock Plus is a good addon for Firefox as well as Greasemonkey and NoScript. Those three in combination are neat and also safe loading time on slow connections by blocking all those pesky adds.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

You can find me here on FF.net.

Each topic brought to you with at least 1 spelling error.

#16 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

I'd go with Avast. It's always running and works well. I've actually had it warn me of a connection that was going to give me a virus and recieved the option to abort before it did. Highly useful.

I used to have AVG, but I wasn't fond of it. Not only was it relatively clunky, it always seemed to find a virus when there wasn't one, even if I did one right after I had already scanned it.

For Spyware, I reccomend Super Anti-Spyware. It does it's job well and it's free.

Edited by dl316bh, 28 February 2009 - 12:02 PM.

bd5.jpg

#17 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (krisk @ Feb 27 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Leechyan: DOODE. YOU. YES. ...kinda. XD I went ahead and searched for "Sysguard" and it brought up two files as results (was that enough btw?) and I went ahead and deleted one of them. The other, "sysguard" came in at about 350 KBs, wouldn't delete because it's either under write-protection or being used. And it's probably the former because I went into the task manager and it wasn't running. Though I dunno if that counts cos it seems to be annoyingly active B:<

That's kinda funny because I got 2 files too and it deleted with no problem. Oh well, let Smiter-sama help you.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#18 NarutoxNSxSakura

NarutoxNSxSakura

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

Those aren't the only files....possibly...

There are several and, in your case, you have to search for and delete each one...ugh....It's very time consuming and a huge pain in the neck.

Here's my solution...follow if you dare...

EDIT: You MUST turn off system restore before you start deleting anything. Ask if you don't know how to...

Stop Spyware Protect 2009 Processes:

SpywareProtect2009.exe
SpywareProtection2009.exe
sysguard.exe

Find and Delete these Spyware Protect 2009:

c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\gfx.bin
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\options.ini
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\SpywareProtect2009.exe
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\SpywareProtect2009.exe.MANIFEST
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\SpywareProtect2009_start_setup.exe
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\tp_starter.exe
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\uninstall.exe
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\uninstall.log
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\vbase.ini
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\lang
c:\Program Files\Spyware Protect 2009\lang\english.lng
c:\WINDOWS\system32\vbzlib2.dll
c:\WINDOWS\aazalirt.exe
c:\WINDOWS\dkekkrkska.exe
c:\WINDOWS\dkewiizkjdks.exe
c:\WINDOWS\iddqdops.exe
c:\WINDOWS\ienotas.exe
c:\WINDOWS\iqmcnoeqz.exe
c:\WINDOWS\irprokwks.exe
c:\WINDOWS\jikglond.exe
c:\WINDOWS\jiklagka.exe
c:\WINDOWS\jrjakdsd.exe
c:\WINDOWS\jungertab.exe
c:\WINDOWS\kitiiwhaas.exe
c:\WINDOWS\kkwknrbsggeg.exe
c:\WINDOWS\klopnidret.exe
c:\WINDOWS\krkdkdkee.exe
c:\WINDOWS\krkmahejdk.exe
c:\WINDOWS\krtawefg.exe
c:\WINDOWS\krujmmwlrra.exe
c:\WINDOWS\ktknamwerr.exe
c:\WINDOWS\kuruhccdsdd.exe
c:\WINDOWS\ooorjaas.exe
c:\WINDOWS\oranerkka.exe
c:\WINDOWS\oropbbsee.exe
c:\WINDOWS\otnnbektre.exe
c:\WINDOWS\otowjdseww.exe
c:\WINDOWS\otpeppggq.exe
c:\WINDOWS\rkaskssd.exe
c:\WINDOWS\ronitfst.exe
c:\WINDOWS\seeukluba.exe
c:\WINDOWS\skaaanret.exe
c:\WINDOWS\sysguardn.exe
c:\WINDOWS\tobmygers.exe
c:\WINDOWS\tobykke.exe
c:\WINDOWS\zibaglertz.exe
sysguard.exe
LdPinch V
Advanced Stealth Email Redirector 6.2
Sinowal.VXR
Antivirus360
BankerFox.A
P2PShared.U
BitTera.C
Azero.B
Sality.AN
WinWebSecurity2008
Downloader.JS.Small.fi
PSW.Win32.OnLineGames.sxa
Downloader_Win32_Agent.nmi
Downloader.Win32.Braidupdate.c
Downloader.JS.Agent.sg
GameThief.Win32.OnLineGames.tnys
PSW.Win32.OnLineGames.rlh
Downloader.Win32.Delf.cgx
Backdoor.Win32.Small.x
VMalum AWS
CNNIC Update U
Bancos DMD
Win32.Grams.I
Zlob AN
SillyDl BCL
CPush
Win32/Wadnock
Best search
Win32/Nuqel.E
Edge Tech
DisableKey
Emogen.B
MoonLight.V
Autorun.AOL

Remove Spyware Protect 2009 Registry Values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Spyware Protect 2009
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\uninstall\Spyware Protect 2009
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Spyware Protect 2009

Edited by NarutoxNSxSakura, 01 March 2009 - 01:01 AM.

#19 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

HARO AGAIN :B

So you awesomesaucey people you, I managed to remove the spyware with the SuperAntispyware freeware (thxjew dhl74836593 XD) and keep my trampy laptop sedated with Avast (thnx GRAMGRAM!). All is well in the performance department! I ran multiple scans and removed what I could. In fact leechyan and NS! Those pesky popups aren't showing up anymore! Me thinks I deleted them when I wiped the system MWAHA DUM SPYWARE2009 >:3

...but now, baw, my internet isn't working ;n;

I looked around and dur o course the aforementioned process took out the Internet. Even tho it says Im connected, the only result I'm gettin is that the "connection" was "interrupted" and "the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

I already tried a few things: 1) I went into command prompt and reset the IP stack to it's installation defaults and right after reset the WINSOCK entries to it's intallation defaults. Nooooo luck. Was I supposed to reset both separately for it to work? And 2) tried the regular stuff, like resetting the router boxes and repairing the connection from the internet settings, yknow the stuff that usually never works XD but as you can deduce from me using my iPod to relay my update I'm still in need of helppp D:

So... HAVE AT YOU? :<

#20 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

Heh heh. Just call me DL. Everyone does. XD

Hmm. It sounds like something related to your connection was infected and subsequently deleted. That's not good. It could be anything from a driver to a component of your browser itself.

Do you still have the discs from setting up your computer? I remember that if you were to insert them and run it by bypassing windows and directly accessing it (the way you'd format), you'd have the option of fixing whatever may have been damaged if it were part of the OS.

If that's not it, it could easily be the drivers necessary to detect your modem. Those usually come with a disc that you'd get when you get a router; I know I got one when I got Time Warners Road Runner. If a driver is missing, it won't connect.

Also, viruses and other nuisances can sometimes change your settings. I once wiped out some viruses and spyware stuff, only to find out that the internet wasn't working. Turns out it had somehow switched the internet options over to one of the old dial-up options instead of the always on cable internet. I was very happy to find out it was something so simple.

That's all I've got for now. I'm not sure if I cn help much more without actually being there. I've been through problems like this before too, so I know how frustrating it is.
bd5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users