Close
Photo

What Japanese think would make great Hollywood films....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Well, it IS possible to make live-action anime from Hollywood, but the point is, most anime are far too "out there."  The Japanese are pretty much used to these eccentric anime with their ludicrous concepts, and HAMMY characters.  If they focus more on stuff like Lupin III (which, personally, I think would make a decent comedy heist film type thing), which are mostly grounded on reality, they'd have greater success.

Considering the fact that, in US domestic box office, Adam Sandler's Grown Ups 2 beat Pacific Rim, I feel that doing something like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, isn't something the US is ready for.....

#22 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Sadly I already had a vision of Disney doing One Piece.

#23 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

What about a TV show? Shorter shows like SnK and such can fit in a movie, but what about for instance Naruto?

Practically it would be difficult because of the branch, but theoretically is it a bad idea?

ナルサク

#24 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

What about a TV show? Shorter shows like SnK and such can fit in a movie, but what about for instance Naruto?

Practically it would be difficult because of the branch, but theoretically is it a bad idea?

I think TV shows could work, but for certain series, though.

For example, for Naruto, how long would it be? How much would it adapt, and could a TV show have the budget to pull off some of the later battles? A live action Naruto would have a lot of questions, and I'm not sure if there would be many good answers.

Now on the other hand, I think a more reality based anime/manga could, and in fact has, work/worked. Great Teacher Onizuka had a live action TV series adaption and it worked pretty well.

In any case, with a live action series, in which I'm guessing you mean one that would be adapted in the states, two factors would probably be most important

1. How much is the series that's being adapted based in a realistic setting

2. Making the transition with anime tropes and Japanese culture to an American audience

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#25 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Go watch the Rurouni Kenshin live action, it restored my faith in live action anime movies. If they handled them like they did for this series they could make others turn out great as well.

Of course there is exceptions, like I don't see One Piece being live action. It is just way to much to bring to a live action with way too many random things lol.

Anything mech related I think could work especially after the release of Pacific Rim.

Uh, I didn't know there was any such thing, Rurouni Kenshin was a pretty good series.

#26 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I don't think a 2 hour action film can do justice to the rich stories of all the good animes mentioned. Its just not enough. They can turn it into a tv series like Game of Thrones where there are tons of story and character development. This is the reason why I wished they animate the Percy Jackson series like Avatar instead of turning each book into a mediocre movie. They can't cover all the aspects of the source that made it exceptional in the first place.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users