Close
Photo

Why Naruto tells Sasuke: "We are equals. " And then says he does not could defeat him?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Manara

Manara

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

This is one of the most incomprehensible moments of the manga for me. When Neji asks, quite rightly, why Naruto did not seize the moment of Sasuke weakness to stop him during the meeting of Team 7.

Sakura, the more then quickly, replied that Madara was also there (a rational and reasonable explanation).

But Naruto proclaims: "No, I'm sure I could not defeat him at his current level."

First: I believe that Naruto and Sasuke are at power levels equal to or very close. I really think there is a slight superiority of Naruto. (the guy defeated PAIN!). Sasuke took a nice beating of the kages (actually only needed the same Raikage), even using up to the limit the powers that Itachi DONATE to him.

Furthermore. in the degree of weakness where sasuke was, Naruto would have won easily.

So, why did he say that??

Naruto for Hokage!
My blog
My Twitter: @themanara

#2 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact he was poisoned.
The way he fell right after Madara and Sasuke left insinuates that he kind of waited before collapsing until they left.

That or he really couldn't handle him yet.

Or he wasn't dangerous enough yet to Konoha (not likely though)

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#3 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Manara @ May 23 2011, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one of the most incomprehensible moments of the manga for me. When Neji asks, quite rightly, why Naruto did not seize the moment of Sasuke weakness to stop him during the meeting of Team 7.

Sakura, the more then quickly, replied that Madara was also there (a rational and reasonable explanation).

But Naruto proclaims: "No, I'm sure I could not defeat him at his current level."

First: I believe that Naruto and Sasuke are at power levels equal to or very close. I really think there is a slight superiority of Naruto. (the guy defeated PAIN!). Sasuke took a nice beating of the kages (actually only needed the same Raikage), even using up to the limit the powers that Itachi DONATE to him.

Furthermore. in the degree of weakness where sasuke was, Naruto would have won easily.

So, why did he say that??

I honestly thought it was a fib, a stall so that way Naruto might have more time from the Konoha 11 to try and save Sasuke. I mean if Naruto couldn't defeat him, then who else could out of them at that moment?
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#4 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

I think him being poisoned was the most reasonable explanation.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#5 The Tax-Man

The Tax-Man

Sapien Chronologia

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

Or maybe Naruto isn't as dumb and honest as we think. laugh.gif Maybe he figured out that jealousy was what pushed Sasuke to leave in the first place. If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't have. I mean really, does showing Sasuke he can have his arse handed to him really encourage him after all this?

Edited by The Tax-Man, 28 May 2011 - 12:49 AM.

naruto.gif

1. "This is worthless NONSENSE."
2. "This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view..."
3. "True, but quite unimportant."
4. "I ALWAYS SAID SO!"

#6 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

I don't think so, but hasn't it been said before that the only way they could communicate was by fighting? That they would never understand each other by word's alone? Or am I mixing some other manga into this?

Naruto certainly isn't as dumb as he display's himself most of the time but he certainly never tells lies to anyone. The whole never going back on his word thing?

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#7 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

i guess its less embarrassing to say "i cant defeat him", then " i got poisoned by sakura while trying to save her and fainted one the spot" biggrin.gif

but maybe he just didnt feel confident at that time???

Edited by merryGOflava, 30 June 2011 - 10:15 PM.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#8 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

Considering that Naruto collapses right after Sasuke leaves, including the fact that Madara's in plain view, next to Sasuke, I doubt Naruto can afford a drawn-out battle with Sakura's poison running through him.

#9 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 1 2011, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering that Naruto collapses right after Sasuke leaves, including the fact that Madara's in plain view, next to Sasuke, I doubt Naruto can afford a drawn-out battle with Sakura's poison running through him.

While that would seem like a nice explanation, I don't think he has the ability to detect that he has poison running through him.

I don't know where Naruto says that he could not defeat Sasuke, as far as I remember Naruto basically stated that it'd be a draw resulting in both of their deaths.

#10 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:00 AM

Why? Because Sasuke is evil. Simple as that. Villains aren't bound by the same rules as heroes. If they have the same power (a.k.a. are "equals"), then Sasuke still has the upper hand because he will make sacrifices willingly and without hesitation if need be (example: Sasuke almost killing Karin to get to Danzou).

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#11 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 2 2011, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why? Because Sasuke is evil. Simple as that. Villains aren't bound by the same rules as heroes. If they have the same power (a.k.a. are "equals"), then Sasuke still has the upper hand because he will make sacrifices willingly and without hesitation if need be (example: Sasuke almost killing Karin to get to Danzou).

I agree, Sasuke has the upper hand but not in strength but more in his lust for power. He will do anything to win and since he's a villain he doesn't have the same values in life and ppl like Naruto does; nor does he care. I know Naruto could have taken Sasuke down when they were face to face but Naruto wouldn't do that. I mean Sasuke was done even Kakashi could have beaten him, but to Naruto that isn't the honorable thing to do, plus Sasuke is his friend. Now with Naruto fighting in the war it's clear he could spank Sasuke. Sure Sasuke has pretty new eyes but Naruto is godly now, I really look forward in seeing what happens next >:3

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#12 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

Indeed! cool.gif

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#13 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:34 AM

Because at that point Sasuke wanted the win more than Naruto, he'd gone off the deep end and wouldn't have hesitated to go for the killer blow, where Naruto would have held back because of recent revelations....that and also he was poisoned. (Something I always find confusing, his can accept Kyuubi chakra that's deadly without any trouble but he appears so have low resistence to other poisons.

iAnby7W.gif

#14 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with their current state or surroundings (being poisoned, etc.). I think Naruto probably could have beaten him then if he'd wanted to. Sasuke would have been nearly spent, and Naruto would still be pretty fresh for battle. But Naruto doesn't want to beat him just then — not like that, anyway.

When they fight again, we all know he wants it to be on equal footing, blah, blah, blah, like at the VotE when they tied on their headbands. Then he wanted to be recognized as his equal, but now it's more of a battle for Sasuke's soul. So this isn't a fight for Naruto to dominate over Sasuke. And taking an opportunity to defeat Sasuke when he's wide open, then either returning him to Konoha and throwing him in jail or handing him over to any other group that rightfully wants to punish him, would not be a victory for Naruto. In a nutshell, Naruto's not going to take a cheap shot at Sasuke. And with everyone clamoring for Sasuke's head, the safest place for him would be to remain with Madara. And Naruto would have realized that. If he ever hoped to redeem Sasuke, he would first have to keep him alive.

So I think that's why he chose not to fight him at that moment, even though I think he could have easily defeated him.

However, what he says, "Right now I couldn't defeat you," I think refers to the long term mystery of the connection between the Uchihas and the Kyuubi:

- Sasuke is the only one to slip inside Naruto, look at the kyuubi, speak to it and dismiss it. And the kyuubi expressed some discomfort as his presence, refering to Madara's control. Madara had full control over the kyuubi through his eyes, with powers with Sasuke may very well possess now.

- Naruto speaks to the old Toad about the prophecy, cuts him off and says "Yeah I know all that." So clearly Naruto knows something that we don't know. Something specific about himself, the prophecy and 'a man with powerful eyes' (sorry, I'm paraphrasing) — either Sasuke or the rinnegan, or both.

- The mysterious little statement by Karin about Naruto's chakra being so much like....? So if she can sense something, some strange kyuubic connection smile.gif , and Naruto and Sasuke can read each other through a fist bump as Bee apparently has proved, then Naruto and Sasuke should have been able to sense something about each other, if they have a mutual connection to the kyuubi. Make sense? I have no idea what connection they might have, but I think there are too many clues now to ignore it.

So when he says he can't defeat Sasuke, I think he's referencing this inside information he knows from the Toad sage, and that we've seen little hints at here and there. My guess is that Naruto knows something about either Sasuke's gained powers, a weakness of the kyuubi's, or some power that Naruto has yet to gain (like the rinnegan, for instance). And that's why he knows at this moment that he can't defeat Sasuke. There's something bigger at stake here than just pounding him in a fist fight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users