58 replies to this topic

#1 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

A published complete rip-off from Bleach...
What do you guys say to this?? err.gif I've got a feeling this will backlash against doujinkas.... at least I hope not....

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#2 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

I don't know. I don't think it is so much copying, but inspiration, but then again what do I know.

It might be. Some scene looks almost copied while others seem only based on others.

To be funny here is a quote by Picasso.

"Good art is copied. Great art is stolen."
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#3 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

That is not inspiration. The scenes, the story, the character designs, the dialogue itself, all of it is ripped from Bleach.

#4 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've never read the book myself so I wouldn't know. If I read the comic then maybe I could say whether he ripped a few pages off or the whole thing.

I mean, the drawings are not exact to the T, but they are close enough that yes it is plagerism.

This reminds me of the time when I had this problem with one of my comics where people thought I ripped off from some sources, but in reality I took inspiration from them. In reality the first base I took from was myself, not from another source. Sure I look at different concepts of what I what I might be going for, but not the same.

It's like my avatar that I drew. Some say I ripped off Leon S Kennedy from RE4, but in reality that is what I look like. I based off my own image not Leon's. As for his eye. Yeah I looked at Kakashi for inspiration, but they are not the same. I also looked at a few other who also have eyes like it and see what other have done to take in inspiration, and to make sure I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Edit:

Yeah it is a complete rip-off. The story is a little different, but the drawings are complete traces.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 25 February 2010 - 09:11 AM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#5 Danzo Baka

Danzo Baka

Danzo of da Root!!

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Dining with hell minions~

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

OMG... I'm gonna puke... D8

This is SICK!! Totally traces... Complete traces!!

"Hiruzen its looks like it is my turn next... but i never did became Hokage"--- Danzo

"You are the leaves bathing in the sun I am the roots that grow in the dark"

#6 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

How come the publisher didn't catch this? Seriously, if I traced Spider-man and called my comic "Arachnid" or some kitten, could I publish Beter Barker's adventures as a super-hero?

#7 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

No you couldn't cuz your pockets aren't deep enough. Simple as that.

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

#8 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Feb 25 2010, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never read the book myself so I wouldn't know. If I read the comic then maybe I could say whether he ripped a few pages off or the whole thing.

I mean, the drawings are not exact to the T, but they are close enough that yes it is plagerism.

If that's all it was then he'd be fine. Plagrism is unethical and highly frowned upon, but not itself illegal. However, if he is doing so, then there copyright violations for which he can be sued.

That he even ripped off a few pages wouldn't change that. A violation's a violation. The amount would simply be related to elements of proving it and possible punishment. But whether you copy a little or a lot, you've still committed copyright violations.

That you copied a little or alot isn't the issue. That you copied it at all is the problem.

#9 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

Well, it seems that Bleach isn't the only thing he's copied. Hellsing and NANA are up there too, as well as a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

#10 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Feb 25 2010, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If that's all it was then he'd be fine. Plagrism is unethical and highly frowned upon, but not itself illegal. However, if he is doing so, then there copyright violations for which he can be sued.

That he even ripped off a few pages wouldn't change that. A violation's a violation. The amount would simply be related to elements of proving it and possible punishment. But whether you copy a little or a lot, you've still committed copyright violations.

That you copied a little or alot isn't the issue. That you copied it at all is the problem.

That depends.

For artist, the copyright law is a little hazy for us. It is hard to know where the line is drawn sometimes. I know myself because I had trouble telling myself.

However, copyright laws are specific. You cannot copy right an "ideal theme," but you can copyright how you show it. By ideal theme I mean, if I would say make a story about space marines then no I would not be in copyright breach. Unoriginal maybe, but fully legal.

He might have changed just enough to get away with it. While he did copy the figure exactly the way it is posed, he changed enough so that it is not even close to the same character.

Even if the law cannot make him accountable for whatever means, we the public know the truth.

I am still trying to figure it all out, but even then it is confusing.
My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#11 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Dear god! That's terrible. Here's the hard part though, his father is part of KISS which means he has moneyz for lawyers, should this even come to the attention of someone, and secondly, I don't know if there's an established law against tracing the outlines of character actions or poses, certainly there seem to be a few instances of direct copying, but as James said, in the US one can easily get away with this through the simple loop hole of saying it was not the intention of the artist to use specifically that character, but only to base them off that character. Look at South Park's Imagination Land episodes/ movie, they did not pay a single cent for any of those characters because they were a different color scheme with different names, well there's also a the satire loop hole that protects South Park. But if you also look at the comic series 'Planetary' they have a lot of super hero 'cameos' from both DC and Marvel but all of which are changed slightly in color and design. But I am appalled.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 25 February 2010 - 03:15 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#12 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

Regardless of what the legal outcome is, he's completely ruined any sort of reputation he had as a comic artist. This is going to hang around his neck like an albatross. He won't be able to sell anything else unless he uses another pen name, and even then, the internet is serious business. All it takes is one person to figure out he's writing under another name and it's all over, yet again.

#13 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

He's a great tracer though... I'll give him that much.

#14 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

No comments from Kubo...
According to his twitter, he has no comments on it & is leaving the legal process to Shueisha. (that's what I can pretty much draw from it). On off-topic note, if Kubo has a twitter account, how come Kishi doesn't have a computer, let alone a twitter account.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#15 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

His poor dad, bet he was so proud his son finally stopped scrounging off him and start earning his own money, and will now have to pay for any legal fee's and compensation Shonon Jump might be requesting...lol

The only difference I see in these is the colouring and that's the work of someone else, so as far as the drawings go they look almost identical to Kubo's in some cases he's just mixed a couple of charactors together to get the look, The Orihime cone looks like Orhime and a little bit of Rukia thrown in.

Oh Well they do say imitation is the highest form of flattery or something like that. Though can't say Simmons is all that clever, if you expect to get away with Plagerism you don't copy from the third most Popular Manga in Japan. What next a Comic about a Ninja who had a great beast sealed in him or maybe a Pirate with powers of stretching?

iAnby7W.gif

#16 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

... That's so bad. It's not even reference shots... it's TRACING.

I started out tracing to get the feel for what Manga was like WHEN I WAS 12, but I never posted any of it or showed it to anyone and I sure as hell did not claim it as my own. Nick Simmons? Big fail.

(Daddy Gene should be disappoint.)
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#17 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

Oops, didn't know there was a thread about this (made a comment in the bleach thread itself).

Yeah, it's pretty horrible to do, especially since he basically took poses from anyone he liked and added them in as his own. He also blatantly copied dialogue. Seems like he especially likes the sins chapters. I hope his publisher drops him.

#18 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Feb 25 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless of what the legal outcome is, he's completely ruined any sort of reputation he had as a comic artist. This is going to hang around his neck like an albatross. He won't be able to sell anything else unless he uses another pen name, and even then, the internet is serious business. All it takes is one person to figure out he's writing under another name and it's all over, yet again.

Hehe albatross it surprises me I still remember that book! Any ways this makes me LOL you guys can bash Nick Simmons but I think it's far more funny that he copied Bleach, I mean seriously who was genna buy that book anyways?

JLHza2T.png

#19 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:30 AM

I am by no means the biggest Bleach fan but WTF?

It's okay to be inspired by something, I dare say it's even alright to use a similar concept and designs, but it must be presented in a fresh way where story, dialogue, and characters are your own. This is not only a piss-poor attempt at making a comic, this is also downright disrespectful to the material that inspired him (unless, of course, he simply read that the Bleach series is popular in America and decided to copy that so he could make money. Actually, I think that is EXACTLY it).

#20 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

BIG. FAT. LIAR. dry.gif

Seriously, the artwork was indeed traced. The facial expressions, how the characters are, most scenes... he must've went on deviantart on whichever artist colored those pages and traced them, if he hadn't ever heard of the series as he "supposed" to.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users