52 replies to this topic

#21 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

It's simple really. People wanted to push a narrative, so their coverage reflected it. They wanted The Last to be seen as this great movie with the Japanese fawning over Hinata-hime, so they selected the stories they want to cover while finding ways to discredit the opposition.It's frustrating to say the least. I'm a Gundam fan who enjoyed Reconguista, but I continually find myself butting against Anime News Network's coverage that tried to paint it as this massive flop (another discussion for another time). Or for something more recent, look at how Lucasfilm/Marvel Comics have tried to paint everyone who didn't like their recent endeavors as bigots who can't stand strong women while critics attempt.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#22 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

It's simple really. People wanted to push a narrative, so their coverage reflected it. They wanted The Last to be seen as this great movie with the Japanese fawning over Hinata-hime, so they selected the stories they want to cover while finding ways to discredit the opposition.It's frustrating to say the least. I'm a Gundam fan who enjoyed Reconguista, but I continually find myself butting against Anime News Network's coverage that tried to paint it as this massive flop (another discussion for another time). Or for something more recent, look at how Lucasfilm/Marvel Comics have tried to paint everyone who didn't like their recent endeavors as bigots who can't stand strong women while critics attempt.

Now you've got me curious about what was going on with Reconguista, since I kind of jumped off of Gundam after 00 (I liked it fine, I just didn't want to go through another Seed Destiny again).

Still, it's kind of sad that reviewers are doing this. Again, if they loved whatever it was they were reviewing, that's fine. What's not okay is trying to drown out or discredit controversy. In any medium, when there's a split, it is worth addressing. This is why I love Spill.com/Double Toasted. They'll give you their opinion on a movie, but they never force their audience to believe their opinion is the honest to god truth, and can even acknowledge flaws in movies they love. When there's a split, they will actively talk about it and consider all points of view. They will even be open when their opinions differ from those of mainstream critics.

It's not that hard to make an account tbh.

There's still the language barrier to get through. As I said, Japanese in written form is very hard to get right.

#23 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:36 PM

Maybe in the old days, but google translate does an adequate job, along with other addons like Atlas in the here and now. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#24 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Now you've got me curious about what was going on with Reconguista, since I kind of jumped off of Gundam after 00 (I liked it fine, I just didn't want to go through another Seed Destiny again).

ANN didn't like Reconguista and used every piece of news it could to make it look bad. Former president of Gainax criticizes Reconguista after the first couple of episodes? It gets an article. Meanwhile, there was this one glowing review in one of Japan's largest newspapers and Gen Urobuchi's praise don't warrant such attention. Snippets of an interview get posted on Yaraon make Tomino sound like he regrets the show? It gets an article without using the actual source or the full context. There's an error with reporting Vol 1 sales? Write about that and never update the numbers.

The fact of the matter is the show had good ratings despite it's 2am timeslot (It's ratings actually got it's reruns a better timeslots, 7 pm and 10:30pm), decent Gunpla sales when Bandai was pushing out Build Fighters Try at the same time and video sales comparable to a lot of popular shows And all of this was with noticably less promotion than Gundam shows typically get, which suggest Bandai/Sunrise were ready to write it off as a failure from the start but it pulled through. There has been some various talk about G-Reco getting compilation movies, leaving a lot of ANN readers wondering why because they were told it flopped really, really hard.

Then the following year, Sunrise releases season one of Iron Blooded Orphans. ANN and it's readers liked the show and it had a lot of supportive articles early in it's run. The one thing I noticed though is that around the middle of season one the mood in Japan was beginning to sour regarding the show. There was a number of criticisms being aired, some of which posted on Yaraon, but ANN was silent on these. ANN's stopped reporting, which is weird considering the show went under investigation for inappropriate content (and not about the violence either.) and after the controversial  that ticked a lot of people off ending they didn't report on any positive news either.

Edited by RulesofNature, 05 March 2018 - 12:42 AM.

iSP2FNe.png

#25 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

ANN didn't like Reconguista and used every piece of news it could to make it look bad. Former president of Gainax criticizes Reconguista after the first couple of episodes? It gets an article. Meanwhile, there was this one glowing review in one of Japan's largest newspapers and Gen Urobuchi's praise don't warrant such attention. Snippets of an interview get posted on Yaraon make Tomino sound like he regrets the show? It gets an article without using the actual source or the full context. There's an error with reporting Vol 1 sales? Write about that and never update the numbers.

The fact of the matter is the show had good ratings despite it's 2am timeslot (It's ratings actually got it's reruns a better timeslots, 7 pm and 10:30pm), decent Gunpla sales when Bandai was pushing out Build Fighters Try at the same time and video sales comparable to a lot of popular shows And all of this was with noticably less promotion than Gundam shows typically get, which suggest Bandai/Sunrise were ready to write it off as a failure from the start but it pulled through. There has been some various talk about G-Reco getting compilation movies, leaving a lot of ANN readers wondering why because they were told it flopped really, really hard.

Then the following year, Sunrise releases season one of Iron Blooded Orphans. ANN and it's readers liked the show and it had a lot of supportive articles early in it's run. The one thing I noticed though is that around the middle of season one the mood in Japan was beginning to sour regarding the show. There was a number of criticisms being aired, some of which posted on Yaraon, but ANN was silent on these. ANN's stopped reporting, which is weird considering the show went under investigation for inappropriate content (and not about the violence either.) and after the controversial  that ticked a lot of people off ending they didn't report on any positive news either.

Too bad too many sites get like that with Naruto, just because it lasted as long as it did, and with other anime and manga now and then too. I won't nitpick on some thigns in some anime I don't like, but I will also respect what others feel in the long run too.

#26 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

Same here. For what it was, I enjoyed G-Reco and even if it originally wasn't meant to be a "Gundam" anime like I've heard rumors of, I'd say it does a decent enough job connecting to the Universal Century and hinting at various events that happened since the UC calendar ended while still being its own thing. It also essentially put the final nail in the coffin of the "Newtypes are humanity's future" beliefs of various people from the Universal Century once we meet that colony of people around Venus; several generations of people living there in space and all they really got was longer lifespans than average, but at the cost of practically barely-functioning, decrepit bodies that forced them to wear special suits in order to appear normal - not a single what could be called a "Newtype" among them - and the people wanting to RETURN to Earth rather than continue living out in space, hence "Project Reconguista", thus everything coming full circle.

2e5.gif

#27 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:42 AM

Same here. For what it was, I enjoyed G-Reco and even if it originally wasn't meant to be a "Gundam" anime like I've heard rumors of, I'd say it does a decent enough job connecting to the Universal Century and hinting at various events that happened since the UC calendar ended while still being its own thing. It also essentially put the final nail in the coffin of the "Newtypes are humanity's future" beliefs of various people from the Universal Century once we meet that colony of people around Venus; several generations of people living there in space and all they really got was longer lifespans than average, but at the cost of practically barely-functioning, decrepit bodies that forced them to wear special suits in order to appear normal - not a single what could be called a "Newtype" among them - and the people wanting to RETURN to Earth rather than continue living out in space, hence "Project Reconguista", thus everything coming full circle.

It ended up feeling like a spiritual successor to Nadesico to me. Some of the same themes, and I could see the Jovians being another G-Reco faction. Only really difference is that Nadesico ended saying "liking anime is okay but don't obsess over it" while G-Reco encouraged it's audience to see the world for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

Granted, I have had luck selling people on the show by comparing it to MGS2 and it's initial reception.

iSP2FNe.png

#28 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:56 AM

Good lord, I hoped that fiasco with the 00 movie review was an outlier.

Seriously. There is nothing wrong with not liking something, but to trash it like it's your political opponent is just something else.

It makes me wonder why? It's not like the series ruined any other Gundam series; it could have been the worst one for all I care, but you could ignore it and watch all the other series with joy. Not like Naruto and Boruto; those of us who disliked how the original series ended have severe trouble finding any enjoyment in both the sequel and the original as well.

I always had a sense that journalism regarding anime and manga could be improved, but THIS just tells me there really isn't any such thing. Granted, I guess most people who graduate with actual journalism degrees don't think to apply for a job with publications such as Otaku USA, but I would think people who do go to work for these things would at least try to live up to such standards.

Edited by KClaws_2, 06 March 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#29 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

It's the same thing if you don't ship gay pairings and they immediately call you a homophobic. It happened to me debating with a Bumblebee fan in YT (Yang/Blake pairing from the show RWBY). I told him I don't ship gay pairings and he quickly accused me of being a homophobic even when I have gay friends and I easily get along with them. :zaru:

Oh my god, I know how you feel. My brother was gay (passed away) and I was very happy for him. My problem is not gay people or gay couples, but people taking characters who are obviously not gay and wanting to turn them gay because it gets them off claiming it to be progressive.

"I think Saitama and Genos would make a great couple" Except they disregard that Saitama says he is not into dudes. These same people will complain when other people try to turn gay people straight. I once pointed this out to a few fangirls that love the boy on boy action and complaining that people keep trying to make gay people straight, but have problems with truning straight people gay.

Now I have no problems with gay couples. That is fine, but you just can't make a character gay when they are clearly not. Like you said with the whole "bumblebee" stuff. Personally I am a Ruby/Jaune or Pyrra/Jaune fan and apparently I get alot of hate for this.

It's simple really. People wanted to push a narrative, so their coverage reflected it. They wanted The Last to be seen as this great movie with the Japanese fawning over Hinata-hime, so they selected the stories they want to cover while finding ways to discredit the opposition.

Similar to what America is doing with Black Panther right now. They don't promote it because the movie is actually good, (Whether or not it is is up for debate), but because it is a Black superhero set in Africa it is all of a sudden the greatest movie ever made.

It is downright ridiculous how stupid our society has become. They take superficial aspect and claim it that these reasons are the reasons why such and such is great. If you disagree you are shunned and bashed into the ground being called thing just because you don't agree.

Seriously. There is nothing wrong with not liking something, but to trash it like it's your political opponent is just something else.

Except that is real life now.

I just read an article about how a Veteran comic book writer, who is black, was being forced to ONLY write about Black superheroes. Telling he can't write about White, Chinese, Straight, Gay, doesn't matter. Political correctness has become the new way of life and the industry is suffering for it.

http://dailycaller.c...s-out-industry/

It has nothing to do with him being a good or bad writer. Simply because he wanted to writer different characters of different race, nationality, and sexuality he gets pushed to quit thanks to, you guess it, the political agenda sites like twitter, tumblr, kotaku, and more.

These people talk about being progressive, but all they are doing is being regressive.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#30 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:53 PM

Oh my god, I know how you feel. My brother was gay (passed away) and I was very happy for him. My problem is not gay people or gay couples, but people taking characters who are obviously not gay and wanting to turn them gay because it gets them off claiming it to be progressive.

"I think Saitama and Genos would make a great couple" Except they disregard that Saitama says he is not into dudes. These same people will complain when other people try to turn gay people straight. I once pointed this out to a few fangirls that love the boy on boy action and complaining that people keep trying to make gay people straight, but have problems with truning straight people gay.

Now I have no problems with gay couples. That is fine, but you just can't make a character gay when they are clearly not. Like you said with the whole "bumblebee" stuff. Personally I am a Ruby/Jaune or Pyrra/Jaune fan and apparently I get alot of hate for this.

Similar to what America is doing with Black Panther right now. They don't promote it because the movie is actually good, (Whether or not it is is up for debate), but because it is a Black superhero set in Africa it is all of a sudden the greatest movie ever made.

It is downright ridiculous how stupid our society has become. They take superficial aspect and claim it that these reasons are the reasons why such and such is great. If you disagree you are shunned and bashed into the ground being called thing just because you don't agree.

Except that is real life now.

I just read an article about how a Veteran comic book writer, who is black, was being forced to ONLY write about Black superheroes. Telling he can't write about White, Chinese, Straight, Gay, doesn't matter. Political correctness has become the new way of life and the industry is suffering for it.

http://dailycaller.c...s-out-industry/

It has nothing to do with him being a good or bad writer. Simply because he wanted to writer different characters of different race, nationality, and sexuality he gets pushed to quit thanks to, you guess it, the political agenda sites like twitter, tumblr, kotaku, and more.

These people talk about being progressive, but all they are doing is being regressive.

Is "Anti-Progressive" the word you are looking for? :smile:

Yeah it is funny how just because you don't agree with something makes you anti-progressive. I mean are you not being just as racist, sexist, etc. if not more so if you are the one bringing it up when it is not mentioned?  I mean the black panther movie is praised soley because it is interpreted as "Black empowerment" is being blown out of proportion if you ask me :shrug:

That said I DID like the movie but I feel it's over hyped because of "that factor"

Edited by Phantom_999, 19 March 2018 - 10:42 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#31 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

The thing with Black Panther is not the empowerment but the identity. Though we do have comic book heroes like Green Lantern (John Stewart), Storm, etc. as the norm, many of the kids, especially African-American kids didn't grasp unto them because majority of them only heard iconic heroes like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Captain America, etc front and center throughout all media. Or the reality of issues and politics that come and still playing in society right now in the US. (I really don't want to go into detail with this please)

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#32 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

Yeah there is nothing wrong with that. It is only that if you are criticized as racist if you don't praise that movie to the heavens which is the problem. there is nothing wrong with identifying with a hero for the reason you listed at all. :smile: I'll just leave it at that :happy:

Edited by Phantom_999, 07 March 2018 - 12:47 AM.

#33 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:57 AM

It makes me wonder why? It's not like the series ruined any other Gundam series; it could have been the worst one for all I care, but you could ignore it and watch all the other series with joy. Not like Naruto and Boruto; those of us who disliked how the original series ended have severe trouble finding any enjoyment in both the sequel and the original as well.

I always had a sense that journalism regarding anime and manga could be improved, but THIS just tells me there really isn't any such thing. Granted, I guess most people who graduate with actual journalism degrees don't think to apply for a job with publications such as Otaku USA, but I would think people who do go to work for these things would at least try to live up to such standards.

The woman who spent the last couple of years reviewing Gundam for ANN (Lauren Orsini) once did a review for Forbes on MtG: Arena of the Planeswalkers. In the review, she pretty much skims the rulebook, drinks a lot of alcohol with her friends, then complained about how they couldn't figure out how the game was played. It was a 20 page rulebook, not some massive DnD tome. There was a good response to it here.

http://www.advancedd...mer-what-i.html

This is something I've felt for a while. I find one of the big things with recent anime is it's built upon the instant gratification of it's viewers. If they don't understand everything at a glance, they act lost and blame it on the storytelling. One of the things about G-Reco was, after spending the time to figure out the story for myself, I began noticing how blatant and poorly handled exposition is in a lot of other shows. I'm seeing some shows differently now, sometimes seeing between the lines. Like, despite the fact Tekkadan fans accuse me of hating on IBO, I'm often writing some of the lengthier defenses of the show (kinda annoying people say it went to crap once everything came to bite Tekkadan in the ass) because of the details I noticed while others got sidetracked. But to these guys, I can't help but feel they only saw what they wanted to see.

Much like Hinata's fanbase.

iSP2FNe.png

#34 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

Well since this has turned into "how kitten American Nerd Culture Journalism is," let me thrown in my two cents. People do not rise to places like Kotaku or ANN through hard-work & dedication to their craft; they end up there after years of incompetence and failure at becoming "real" journalist. Your lucky if even one of them was even an intern at a big news organization.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 14 July 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#35 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

The thing with Black Panther is not the empowerment but the identity. Though we do have comic book heroes like Green Lantern (John Stewart), Storm, etc. as the norm, many of the kids, especially African-American kids didn't grasp unto them because majority of them only heard iconic heroes like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Captain America, etc front and center throughout all media. Or the reality of issues and politics that come and still playing in society right now in the US. (I really don't want to go into detail with this please

It's just sad that there are other black superheroes that are arguably being ignored because they are not set in Africa. I would love to see a Static Shock movie. He was one of my favorites and poor Luke Cage is reduced to a Netflix TV series. It is an okay TV series, but still sad it gets overlooked.

To me, the fact that people let these journalist get away with this is sad and appalling. Whether it be Black Panther or NaruHina centric movie, I think the bias has gotten way out of control and we are losing real journalism. It just shows so often when people write stuff one way and really they have no idea what they are talking about.

"Batman is more relatable than Superman"
I see these alot, but in what way? The only thing in common is Batman is human and we are human, but past that nothing else similar. I didn't lose my parents, inherient billions of dollors, andgo on to fight crime as a superhero. I actually can relate more to Superman than Batman in that I always felt like an outsider trying to fit in and never really could. EVen Batman does thing that no human can do so this whole relatable crap people keep writing about really makes no sense.

I love how on kotaku one writer actually said that Black Panther was so relatable and so realistic and that is why it is the best. Okay, I never knew there was actually a place of highly advanced humans in a place in Africa called Wakanda. So was Captain America no realistic? World War II, American soldier imprisonment camps, war bonds, soldiers going to war, bravery and so on.....that was no where near anything relatable and realistic? Alright...., but this is the reason why I felt I never belonged myself. I always had that opinion that never followed the crowd.

Never had them use that word before. "Hitler, Nazi, Bigot." You know, those cheap $5 words that everyone loves using.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#36 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Yeah it is funny how just because you don't agree with something makes you anti-progressive. I mean are you not being just as racist, sexist, etc. if not more so if you are the one bringing it up when it is not mentioned?  I mean the black panther movie is praised soley because it is interpreted as "Black empowerment" is being blown out of proportion if you ask me :shrug:

That said I DID like the movie but over hyped because of "that factor"

I mostly get annoyed when people keep saying it's the first Marvel movie with a black superhero, completely overlooking Blade back in 1999 (okay, maybe not distributed by Marvel, IIRC, and not part of the MCU, but the point stands), similar to how people endlessly praised Deadpool for being the first truly violent Marvel movie (again, Blade). Not to say I don't appreciate the mostly black cast in Africa, but I do see how it's been over-hyped in that aspect.

The woman who spent the last couple of years reviewing Gundam for ANN (Lauren Orsini) once did a review for Forbes on MtG: Arena of the Planeswalkers. In the review, she pretty much skims the rulebook, drinks a lot of alcohol with her friends, then complained about how they couldn't figure out how the game was played. It was a 20 page rulebook, not some massive DnD tome. There was a good response to it here.

http://www.advancedd...mer-what-i.html

This is something I've felt for a while. I find one of the big things with recent anime is it's built upon the instant gratification of it's viewers. If they don't understand everything at a glance, they act lost and blame it on the storytelling. One of the things about G-Reco was, after spending the time to figure out the story for myself, I began noticing how blatant and poorly handled exposition is in a lot of other shows. I'm seeing some shows differently now, sometimes seeing between the lines. Like, despite the fact Tekkadan fans accuse me of hating on IBO, I'm often writing some of the lengthier defenses of the show (kinda annoying people say it went to crap once everything came to bite Tekkadan in the ass) because of the details I noticed while others got sidetracked. But to these guys, I can't help but feel they only saw what they wanted to see.

Much like Hinata's fanbase.

Just look at a lot of comments on sites streaming Card Captor Sakura - Clear Card Arc. Barely five episodes in and you have people complaining that it's "so slow", wondering when the action will happen, when the plot will move forward, etc. even though it's operating just like the first anime series did back in the 90s, when most anime tended to run longer and so took their time to develop plot, characters, etc., so obviously when, most likely, a lot of those commentators were little kids or not even born yet.

Ever since Gundam Wing first aired on Toonami, a lot of people seem to have it in their head that that's what Gundam "is"; Gundams being nigh invincible mobile suits (except when plot demands otherwise) who can take out armies of grunts with a single bullet to the foot and the main characters largely tend to come out on top with barely a, if any, scratch, and so they also end up largely loving stuff like SEED, SEED Destiny, or the later parts of 00 and such; it's flashy, good-looking characters (even battle-scarred ones) they can pair off (still was never given any explanation for why Kira/Lacus is seen as such a great and popular pairing besides "they look so cute together"), overall simple plots, etc. while seeing any of the older Universal Century Gundam series' as "boring" or don't even bother trying to watch them solely because of the older art style and such, revealing that they only want something pretty and distracting, and simply don't have the patience (and/or intelligence) to actually pay attention to a developing plot and its details.

2e5.gif

#37 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

It's just sad that there are other black superheroes that are arguably being ignored because they are not set in Africa. I would love to see a Static Shock movie. He was one of my favorites and poor Luke Cage is reduced to a Netflix TV series. It is an okay TV series, but still sad it gets overlooked.

I liked Static Shock as well. And yes, we need a Static Shock movie. But now at days, Black Lightning is being relevant and that show is awesome! Bunch of themes and topics and Anissa and Jennifer developing their powers. (Although, I still couldn't picture Jill Scott as a villain to this day...)

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#38 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

To me, the fact that people let these journalist get away with this is sad and appalling. Whether it be Black Panther or NaruHina centric movie, I think the bias has gotten way out of control and we are losing real journalism. It just shows so often when people write stuff one way and really they have no idea what they are talking about.

"Batman is more relatable than Superman"
I see these alot, but in what way? The only thing in common is Batman is human and we are human, but past that nothing else similar. I didn't lose my parents, inherient billions of dollors, andgo on to fight crime as a superhero. I actually can relate more to Superman than Batman in that I always felt like an outsider trying to fit in and never really could. EVen Batman does thing that no human can do so this whole relatable crap people keep writing about really makes no sense.

I love how on kotaku one writer actually said that Black Panther was so relatable and so realistic and that is why it is the best. Okay, I never knew there was actually a place of highly advanced humans in a place in Africa called Wakanda. So was Captain America no realistic? World War II, American soldier imprisonment camps, war bonds, soldiers going to war, bravery and so on.....that was no where near anything relatable and realistic? Alright...., but this is the reason why I felt I never belonged myself. I always had that opinion that never followed the crowd.

Funny enough i had a discussion about that topic with my brother one time. Some characters an not necessarily relate-able to the average person. just like the Batman example. So EVERY BATMAN fan is an heir to a multi-quintillion dollar fortune and corporation, had their parents murdered on some random night and then traveled the world to be a world class omni-disciplinary scientist, mathematician and engineer, multi-linguist, tactician, detective and Martial artist? We both feel that fans of a character only SAY that the character is relate-able so as to not seem like they like that character for shallow and petty reasons if the relativity is not applicable by any stretch of the imagination   

Edited by Phantom_999, 22 March 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#39 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

So, I remember the whole ordeal when the Last came out, and Yahoo Japan rated it as a 2.8 out of 5 or something. That did seem pretty damning, but I noticed how many (particularly the reviewer on Kotaku) denounced them as fakes set up by NS fans in the US.

Any truth to it?

I suppose it's possible, but I'm skeptical. You can't just simply type in some sentence in english and translate it to Japanese by google translate. The written Japanese alphabet is complex, and it has more in common with the rules of Egyptian hieroglyphics than the rules of any western alphabet. You get it wrong, it's not just a misspelling, You could change the entire word.

To see if this had any merit, I went ahead to see if I could do it myself (had I succeeded, I would have given the movie a 3, leaving a note saying this is just a test or something). But immediately it asked for a Japanese zip-code, and I gave up from there. I SUPPOSE I could have just used my California zip, but I don't know what kind of rules/structures the Japanese have for their zip-codes, and I wouldn't know how to find out. To me, that just sounds like a lot of work for trolls.

I also discovered something else. This is more happening in South Korea, but given the history and similarities between the two, I feel there is a good chance it could be happening in Japan too: Astroturfing. This is a practice where a company will post good reviews on various forums for it's products to entice people to buy it. Given that the reviews for the Last have twice the normal amount of reviews of the other Naruto films on Yahoo Jp (I looked), and how I heard how short many of the five-star reviews were, it's certainly a possibility.

This claim also becomes a little bit more suspicious to me when everyone who has seen the movie but is not super into the pairing/pairings think the Last is bad (to put it kindly). 

So, does anyone have any opinions for or against this idea?

none of them are fake most likely, kotaku is one of those biased media sites that will attack fanbases over not liking a movie, we've already seen this with ghostbusters and starwars. we are now currently in an age where news sites and movie makers no longer listen to fans and will verbally attack them on social media just for not liking their movies.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

#40 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

none of them are fake most likely, kotaku is one of those biased media sites that will attack fanbases over not liking a movie, we've already seen this with ghostbusters and starwars. we are now currently in an age where news sites and movie makers no longer listen to fans and will verbally attack them on social media just for not liking their movies.

Yeah, like when I say that I like The Last Jedi, from the reactions people give (on big or small sites), you would think it was some unspoken law that I'm NOT allowed to or else I must have a part of my body removed..

Or the endless franchise wars...

2e5.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users