I was a Naruto fan first and foremost. The reason I left the series was because the ending was awful. Let's count the ways shall we?
1. Naruto became Hokage, but missed his ceremony. He seemed neither happy or excited in achieving his life long dream,and through a series of unfortunate events needed someone to pretend to be him at his OWN coronation, not at all helped by his 'little devil children" that canon balled themselves on to his stomach to wake him up and knocked him out respectively.
2. All of the K12 (important characters of their generation) are reduced to stereotypical jokes. You see dead-beat to down right neglectful fathers, subservient housewives, etc. and you don't feel anything resembling the characters that you've come to know.
3. The kids are not much better. Boruto is completely bratty and doesn't act in a realistic or sympathetic manner, thinking he's a miserable loner when honestly he's venting his father issues out on to other people. Chou Chou is a "Fat" joke, and Sarada is a stalker apparently (even though she's not Hinata's kid).
4. THEN we move on to the oh so infamous Gaiden arc. We see even worse aspects of said characters. Naruto won't accept lunches from Hinata and is sending Kagebunshins to pay attention to his kids while he does his work rather than the other way around. Sakura lost her temper with Sarada and almost killed her over asking a simple question about her husband to which she can't even give a straight answer, and to THAT I would question Sarada's sanity if she WASN'T suspicious. As for Sarada herself, her story turned into a "who's my mommy" soap opera, and like her mom, shows no grit tho the "coolest, handsomest daddy in the world" even though he tried to kill her earlier and believes what he says because of his creator pet status, A.K.A Uchiha charm that can't have anyone opposing him.
5. Boruto the movie. Ah, what to say about this? Well I never saw it. Didn't bother to because Boruto's brattiness in the movie was dialed up, And Naruto, who resembled nothing like how he was, somehow, some way became worse, ordering Boruto to address him as Hokage instead of father, missing his daughter's birthday etc etc. The plot lines are not interesting and seems to try brushing all backlash from chapter 700 and "The Last" movie under the rug, even though the damage is done. Even when Those of us who didn't watch the movie got a complete summary of it by those who did, we pretty much agreed it was best we didn't our waste time or money on it.
With that said, I confess I was losing more and more faith in the story telling from the beginning of the war arc and it gradually got worse every 2 weeks. The atrocious end that we got "rewarded" with in our infinite patience (and I do not exaggerate on that for those that stuck through to the end) was just the final nail in the coffin. I'm not a NaruSaku fan more than I was a Naruto fan. If Naruto X Hinata had anywhere near the amount of development Naruto X Sakura had then I wouldn't be complaining. I would have been fine with any pairing as long as it had believable development and did not betray the themes of the story. I'd also wouldn't have been so against it I had felt more people online were with me rather than against me. Maybe my biggest problem was that those rabid Hinata fans that cared for nothing but Hinata's ( A.K.A. their self insert) happiness over the themes of the story and happiness of other characters are the ones who "won". but even then it was a shallow victory and many are starting to see that now.
Edited by Phantom_999, 14 October 2016 - 06:45 PM.