29 replies to this topic

#1 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

my oneshot "Get Glory in this Hand" will be continued... in fact, ch2 is already in the works and is 15 pages long so far... ch1 was 24 pages in comparison, so ch2 will also be around that length as well

with that said... what are your guys' opinions? is there anything you guys would like to see from "Get Glory in this Hand"?

Get Glory in this Hand FFnet LINK

#2 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

Welcome to H&E first of all! a_dance.gif

There isn't anything special I want to see in the fic - NaruSaku goodness of course but that's a given. I got the sense that down the line you'd consider readjusting the teams to their original lineups. Do you know roughly how far in the timeline you want to go with this fic?

I feel that while suggestions from us would be nice, it's your story. I'd trust whatever you put out.

Incidentally about the one-shot deal you have a way of leaving things open at the end of your stories, that's probably why so many readers howl for sequels. Like this: "Waaaa, when's 'Wait for Me' gonna be updated?" There's my howl for more. wink.gif

Glad to have you here, it took you long enough to find us...tsk, tsk. biggrin.gif
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#3 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

DIGIFRUIT!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!

I thought Glory was completed, unless you are talking about D-rank Mission.

#4 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

I'd like to see a few things resolved. Sakura's inevitable confrontation with her parents, the possible re-alignment of the teams, Naruto being helped through the difficult time he's having 'starting to think he really is a monster,' how Sasuke reacts to Naruto's exceedingly fast development, since they aren't on the same team this time around, that kind of thing.

I am really impressed by your writing, Digifruit... but you often leave way too much unresolved in your oneshots for them to really BE oneshots.

I might also suggest (not specifically to you but to anyone who wants to write any kind of story, fanfiction or not; I'm using your request for help to get something out I've been wanting to mention for quite some time, so don't think that I really believe you need to do this yourself, although you might consider it) that you start thinking about the questions I ask myself every time I start a story:
What's the government like where the characters are? It is a well-liked government, a despised government, an average government, etc. Even if it's irrelevant to the story, you'll ALWAYS find people talking about politics at some point.
What ways (note the plural, especially in this case -- not everyone in Konoha is a ninja, despite how a lot of fanfics make it seem. You don't think the Ichiraku ramen chef and Ayame are both secretly ANBU, do you? No,they're ramen salesmen! But people don't seem to think about that) are there to make a living in the town? Does the main character make more\less\average? Does any conflict arise because of this? Even if it doesn't, you need to know whether your characters have the money to dress a certain way and do certain things, or at least to know that your character isn't living within his\her means.
What is the history of the area your characters are in? There's always a history, even if you're in a prehistoric time, and knowledge is based on history. Some of this is already answered in Naruto, but there's a lot that's missing.
Who are the main characters friends\family\rivals\enemies? How serious are these friendships\rivalries? How many of the enemies are redeemable, and how many aren't? Are these people in your main character's generation or not? (in Naruto's case, this set of questions is largely answered, but again these aren't questions to ask just for fanfiction)

When you can answer all of these questions, you're ready to start outlining your plot. It may be that some or all of the answers you give yourself to the above questions will be totally irrelevant to the plot, but it should help you think like the characters in the story would think.

Then, when you're done with your outline (assuming you're doing an outline), ask yourself if all of the questions asked in the story have been answered. It's okay to leave a few minor 'dangling threads,' but there does need to be some resolution even of those (i.e., 'What happened to the assassin? Well, we'll track him down later.' Assassin's capture hasn't been dealt with in the story, but at least that plotline hasn't been forgotten, just shunted away). And those minor dangling threads can't be too large, or else you'll constantly have people begging for answers to those questions.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#5 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

thanks for the welcome smile.gif

and the reason that my oneshots had open-ended conclusions was because that's become my trademark style over in the evangelion fandom... and, while evangelion fans love the open-ended oneshot style without complaint (since the original series itself is a lot like that), i've come to the realization that naruto fans are a totally different breed compared to evangelion fans

anyway... "Glory" is now no longer a oneshot and the reason i ask for opinions is because i've got the next story arc (the chuunin exams) down pretty much in concrete and i got the final story arc (five years later when they're all 17) pretty much solidified... but everything in-between is pretty much up in the air at this point

ch2 looks like ino and sasuke will get a bit more screentime, since they were pretty much neglected in the wave country arc... the debut of team eight also makes things a bit complicated as well

as for the format of the story... would anyone object to an episodic format from chapter to chapter? like... ch1 dealt with the wave country arc and ch2 will jump straight into the chuunin exams, but i will leave out everything that happens in-between (well, i will cover it in a sense, but more as a flashback-type deal)... the reason i wanted to do it that way is because everyone has seen the anime or read the manga, so i felt that it would be repetitive if i use kishimoto's same plot over again just for the sake of keeping the flow of the story

#6 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

from what ive read of your writing, im sure whatever you do will be awesome, so ill just wait for it to come out and read it biggrin.gif

#7 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:17 AM

well, chapter 2 is up on ffnet

as for some extended author's notes... this chapter was pretty hard for me to write because, as many of you may have realized, action scenes are definately not one of my strengths... and ch2 was pretty much entirely action

shikamaru was especially hard to write for because i definately don't have an IQ of 200 and it's really hard for me to think up of battle strategies that he would use

#8 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:38 AM

Well, I think you did a very good job with this chapter all in all. It was a really refreshing change-of-pace to see the fights almost totally scrambled as opposed to just switching out one or two people, and the fights themselves were pretty good and believable.

Although the physical/mental sound waves cancelling each other out is a bit of a stretch I thought. Still you handled it better than I would have, and Shikamaru picking up on that... he earned his 200 IQ there for sure happy.gif.

As much as I wanna see Naruto and Sakura get together, I hope you don't rush into it too quickly. A romantic misunderstanding or three is fine too. laugh.gif

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#9 StellarMind

StellarMind

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:18 AM

you haven't updated it :shamefulcry0js: :shamefulcry0js: I love your NaruSaku fics though.. You're a kind of tearjerker yah now.. after I read "Icha Icha Fantasy" I was up all night, *depressed*

#10 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:25 AM

sorry, but at the moment, chapter 4 of get glory in this hand is 0% complete... school just started (third year bioengineering at uc san diego), so i dont have as much time now as i did in the summer

#11 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Bioengineering? Ouch, sounds harsh... take your time. I'd rather you take your time and come out with quality stuff when you can as opposed to rushing and getting substandard (for you) work, not to mention letting your grades fall.

#12 StellarMind

StellarMind

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (digifruit @ Oct 6 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry, but at the moment, chapter 4 of get glory in this hand is 0% complete... school just started (third year bioengineering at uc san diego), so i dont have as much time now as i did in the summer

*sad* well, good luck.. anyway I hope you'll read my narusaku fic when I upload it.. and a comment would be appreciated.. *cough*

#13 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you will get decent time to write.

#14 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

digifruit- Take your time. School is more important (now if only I can get that into my cracked brain, hehe). I'm sure whenever the update will come, it will be worth the wait.

I'm leneypoo over at FF.net and I left you a big (for me) review over there, but I wanted to post here with a anecdote of mine. It may sound a bit weird, but I'm grateful so hear me out!

My parents and I have been trying to get my little brother reading. He's really into sports and TV and he's never been interested in reading very much. Since I am a bookworm, I've tried recommending him all sorts of books by various authors, but I've never been able to give him something that would catch his interest. I think it's because my tastes are very different from his!

It's only been very recent since I've gotten into the Naruto fandom. He had been watching the show for years before I even watched one episode. Well, I was thinking of something to get him reading, anything, and my mind instantly went to Get Glory in this Hand. I told him that he should try reading the fic. I really didn't expect much, even if I personally loved your story, I didn't know if my brother would have the patience to read through 40k+ words of a story that wasn't required for school.

Imagine my surprise when not more than a few hours later, he was coming to me gushing about NaruShikaCho and their "really cool" shogi-inspired maneuvers, discussing the full circle of "Love" on Gaara and Naruto's foreheads and asking when the fourth chapter is coming out.

Since then, I've spotted him at the computer browsing for more stories. I hope that from fanfiction he can move onto finding published original stories that can keep him entertained for days.

So I want to say thanks. For not only writing a story that I, an unashamed bookworm, can enjoy, but one that captivate a non-reader like my brother.

biggrin.gif
WTF Fanfic Quote of the Moment

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#15 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

leney, your post really made my day, haha... things like that really make me glad that i write these fics

unfortunately, i doubt i'll even be able to start on chapter 4 until probably sometime mid-december... i actually do have a lot of chapter 4 mapped out in my head though, so i'm hoping that the writing process will go smoothly and perhaps i may be able to aim for a january release

#16 StellarMind

StellarMind

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (digifruit @ Oct 17 2007, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
leney, your post really made my day, haha... things like that really make me glad that i write these fics

unfortunately, i doubt i'll even be able to start on chapter 4 until probably sometime mid-december... i actually do have a lot of chapter 4 mapped out in my head though, so i'm hoping that the writing process will go smoothly and perhaps i may be able to aim for a january release

ohhh *cough* that's a great news! I'm looking forward to it! :thumbs: :thumbs:

#17 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

*eye twitching*

That long?

#18 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

Nice to hear that you're still continuing your story smile.gif
We might have to wait a while, but it's worth it wink.gif
School is much more important than a fanfic, so only write when you have the time, okay smile.gif
Hope to see more of your amazing work in the future :thumbs:
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#19 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

ucsd gave us a week off school because of all of the socal wildfires, so i took the time off to start on chapter 4... currently it's around 5,000 words... and considering the average chapter length for this fic is about 13,000 words... i'd say i'm about halfway done

but still... dont expect a november release or anything, though it is possible... o_O;;

#20 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:29 AM

If you release Chapter 4 in November that's great, but don't rush... I won't hold you to it at the very least.

More importantly, you didn't lose anything to the fires did you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users