Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:50 AM

Kishi did another interview.  This time with "Cinema Today"

http://honyakusha-er...om-cinema-today

Q: At the time that The Last –Naruto the Movie– opened last December, it seems that production had commenced for the screenplay of Boruto –Naruto the Movie–. In April, the side story (Naruto Gaiden ~The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring~) also started its short-term serialization, but what kind of schedule was it?

Kishimoto: I finished writing the movie’s script around the end of January. Corrections and such were added afterwards, so it might have been around the end of February that work on the script was completely finished. For me however, since the beginning of February was a pausing point for work on the movie, I think I started drawing pictures for the short-term serialization on the side in February. The short-term serialization started at the point of deciding the characters. That’s because you can’t refine a story without making characters. After I decided the entire plot, I thought about how each week would go.

Q: Before now, you have had experience with supervision and story in movie production.

Kishimoto: With Road To Ninja –Naruto the Movie– I dealt with the composition, and in The Last –Naruto the Movie– I did the character designs and was chief story supervisor. However, this is the first time that I’ve completely written everything from the start, including the lines.

Q: Were there differences between [writing] manga and a movie?

Kishimoto: To me, it hadn’t changed fundamentally, because when I was a newcomer, I had studied books on writing movie scripts.

Q: Movies were made into reference material for manga.

Kishimoto: There were a lot of movies I referenced. The one from which I drew the most influence in composition was The Rock. My favorite movies are Back to the Future and The NeverEnding Story. Also, I like hero stories, and I also referenced Spiderman. But there are too many works that I referenced, so they don’t all immediately come to mind (laughs).

Q: What kind of influence did you draw from movies?

Kishimoto: Since long ago, there has been a way of writing called kishoutenketsu* for manga, but I was aware of three-stage composition. (*Translator’s note: Kishoutenketsu is a four-stage writing method consisting of introduction, development, a twist, and the conclusion.) For a long time, I have enjoyed movie columns in magazines. There are few reference books on manga, so I studied with movies. First allowing [the readers/viewers] to understand the characters, then fully wrapping it up in three stages is the part of The Rock from which I drew influence.

Naruto Went from Genin to Hokage!

The Character Backstory Including Romance

Q: Both Naruto and Boruto are works with fascinating characters aside from the main characters.

Kishimoto: In Gaiden’s short serialization, ChouChou was popular with my superiors, my assistants, and those around me. For the parts where Sarada is carrying a heavy burden, I thought I would brighten it up, so I had her (ChouChou) appear, but everyone spoke so well of her. I didn’t think she would be that popular, so I was surprised. In Naruto it was Rock Lee. Along with Jiraiya, I wasn’t consciously trying for it, but they became popular. Creating characters is quite difficult, so I don’t quite understand when characters that the author creates aiming for them to be popular don’t gain popularity, but characters I make without being conscious of it do become popular.

Q: To you, Sensei, what characters are easy to work with?

Kishimoto: Thinking “I want to have a character behave like this” changes depending on the circumstances, so it’s the same for every character. There weren’t any especially difficult characters. Although Sasuke may have been difficult in that he had many scenes where if I didn’t give him various circumstances, it meant that it wouldn’t have worked. Because I had decided from the beginning how the characters would be established, I couldn’t have them do things that the characters wouldn’t do.

Q: What specifically do you mean by that?

Kishimoto: Say for instance that Sasuke is a character that likes tea, so if tea shows up in a scene, he’ll drink it, but if it was juice, I don’t think he would drink it because he doesn’t like it. But if I turn it into a setting where the story won’t advance if he doesn’t drink juice, I have to employ a different pattern from when tea shows up or it doesn’t work. But if it is decided that he will drink juice, his character image is messed up. That’s why I ended up giving so many different circumstances to Sasuke, who appears in so many scenes.

Q: I see.

Kishimoto: In the same way, I also couldn’t have Naruto speak complicated words. To a certain degree, it was ok if it was something he had experienced, but if he suddenly said something grown up about something where he had no experience, it would be a lie. I had decided the characters first, so that wouldn’t have worked honestly.

Q: During serialization, were you writing with the characters’ romances also decided in advance?

Kishimoto: I wasn’t very conscious of it. I thought I would leave the course of it up to them. I wrote it while wondering if Sasuke and Sakura would get together and how it would be. I didn’t write Sakura in the position of heroine. Naruto was special because he was the main character, but all other characters were equal, regardless of who were main or side characters. The characters would decide based how it would work in the story. But along the way, I thought that Naruto and Sakura were different. I somehow decided [their romances] at a pretty early phase.

Q: So you left it up to the characters.

Kishimoto: In the same way that the beginning of romance is not very conscious, you might say it was not very conscious for me. I’m embarrassed to write it, so in truth, there were parts that I didn’t want to write (laughs). In “The Last -Naruto the Movie-” Naruto’s romance was written, so I was happy that the parts that I myself could not write could be seen in the movie.

Q: Speaking of Naruto, his dream of being Hokage came true, but when did he take the exam to become a jounin?

Kishimoto: Naruto didn’t become a jounin. He became Hokage as a genin. Sasuke is not a jounin or chuunin either, but rather, since he left the village, he is a nukenin. That’s enough for them (laughs). But I thought that having him suddenly go from genin to Hokage would be amusing and Naruto-like.

Approval for a Live Action Adaptation of Naruto!?

Q: Aside from the movie, there are many new developments in the new generation opening project, including a stage play.

Kishimoto: Regarding stage plays, there are things I’m not familiar with, so I can only say my impression, rather than whether it’s good or bad, but although this stage play was based on my own creation, I found it interesting to watch, and I laughed. I cried over my own creation. When the actors were performing, their emotions and the lines were linked, so it felt real. It’s different from how it is expressed in pictures. The way they showed ninjutsu using devices was interesting, and the atmosphere that circulated in that place was fun.

Q: If a live action drama or live action movie of Naruto emerged, how would you feel about it, Sensei?

Kishimoto: I would greatly approve of that. I think it would become something different yet from anime. I think the fans would treat what is played by actors as a different work. In contrast to the stage play, live action on film would become a world that even I have yet to see, so I think I would be happy if that story ever came.

Masashi Kishimoto Hereafter

Q: Boruto has opened, and you are at a stopping point with the story of Naruto, so how are you currently feeling?

Kishimoto: I feel like I may have been set free a little bit. The short-term serialization is finished, and I’m done drawing the manga for the booklet, so you might say I’m feeling quite at ease. Under the pressure of getting to that point, I didn’t just have constipation or a sore lower back, but my whole back was strained, but even that has healed and I am experiencing the joy of my body being set free. My mind and body together became healthy (laughs).

Q: The pressure of the serialization quite considerable.

Kishimoto: I did get used to it. It was the position I had always pursued. But I couldn’t truly relax at heart.

Q: What will you do now, Sensei?

Kishimoto: First, I’m going to play with my kid(s), and I think I’ll play tennis. Also, I want to see lots of new movies at the theater.

#2 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:09 AM

So saying one thing and doing another.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#3 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:12 AM

Wow, this interview really made me remember how many plotlines there was dropped in instant.

#4 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:12 AM

You know Kishi, we didn`t need a comic relief character to try and make light of Sarada`s(pointless) dilemma.

Aside from that, just more crap.  The Sasuke juice/tea comparison was laughable

#5 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

Reading one of few very good details (genin->hokage) in an interview that came out after almost a year after story ended, is pretty sad. Makes you remember good scenes with Ibiki, Anko and etc. Still, amazing, how he fuc'ed up story in so many ways, especially romance and development of MC.

#6 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:29 AM

He is really dumb 

I somehow decided [their romances] at a pretty early phase. 

Somehow...somehow

That's just sad

I wasn’t very conscious of it. I thought I would leave the course of it up to them

Kishi, as an author you should control the characters, you don't let them control you

Say for instance that Sasuke is a character that likes tea, so if tea shows up in a scene, he’ll drink it, but if it was juice, I don’t think he would drink it because he doesn’t like it. But if I turn it into a setting where the story won’t advance if he doesn’t drink juice, I have to employ a different pattern from when tea shows up or it doesn’t work. But if it is decided that he will drink juice, his character image is messed up. That’s why I ended up giving so many different circumstances to Sasuke, who appears in so many scenes

Honestly, this is just laughable

If he was a good author in the first place he wouldn't need to change scenes and patterns for a character to work because he would've already thought of them before hand, thus setting up the characters for where he actually wanted them to go even before such a scene came up

He obviously had problems with the personality he created for Sasuke and for the path he chose to take Sasuke in the end, he was clearly lost regarding this character

since he left the village, he is a nukenin

so Sasuke never returned to Konoha? 

lol

the entire part 2 was for naught

the same way that the beginning of romance is not very conscious, you might say it was not very conscious for me. I’m embarrassed to write it, so in truth, there were parts that I didn’t want to write (laughs). In “The Last -Naruto the Movie-” Naruto’s romance was written, so I was happy that the parts that I myself could not write could be seen in the movie.

I really don't know what to believe...he made relationships such as Minakushi and set up NS pretty nice in early part 2...why the hell is he saying that the beginning of romance is not "very conscious" or he is embarassed to write about it? 

smh

ChouChou was popular with my superiors, my assistants, and those around me. For the parts where Sarada is carrying a heavy burden, I thought I would brighten it up, so I had her (ChouChou) appear, but everyone spoke so well of her. I didn’t think she would be that popular, so I was surprised.

Bad choice Kishi, Chouchou sucks

but I guess this is just how it is for him, popularity above everything , it should be hint  for what happened to the series considering his vision of popularity is given by what his asssitants, editors and superiors think

I didn’t write Sakura in the position of heroine

He's such a liar...

he said back then in jump festa 2010 that he would try to put Sakura into a more heroine like position, then he said in another interview that Sakura was created as a heroine...

Now he says that she isn't...pathetic

Kishi, you fail as an author, honestly. You had luck with Yahagi at the beginning and then you had luck with a crazy follower fanbase after it...that's it

Edited by Nar123, 22 August 2015 - 02:26 AM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#7 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:31 AM

No difference between main and side character?

The author of bakuman will smh.

Sakura is not a heroine? Than what is the heroine word in the beginning of the manga.

#8 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:33 AM

No difference between main and side character?

The author of bakuman will smh.

Sakura is not a heroine? Than what is the heroine word in the beginning of the manga.

He is such a big liar, he even called Sakura the heroine in an early interview

he is just trying to save face because he screwed up his female characters and he knows it, so he is trying to downplay their importance

Edited by Nar123, 22 August 2015 - 01:33 AM.

#9 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:37 AM

He is such a big liar, he even called Sakura the heroine in an early interview

he is just trying to save face because he screwed up his female characters and he knows it, so he is trying to downplay their importance

And he downplay naruto importance too lmao.
The kittening main, tittle, and hero character is nothing more different than kiba :zaru:

#10 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:44 AM

And he downplay naruto importance too lmao.
The kittening main, tittle, and hero character is nothing more different than kiba :zaru:

Nah he said Naruto was a main

Naruto was special because he was the main character, but all other characters were equal, regardless of who were main or side characters

But...it sure didn't looked like that, I mean he said everyone was equal but c'mon it's obvious that they weren't

Is Kishi trying to say a character like Shino had the same importance as a character like Sasuke, the one that sometimes overshadowed the so called MC of the story itself regarding importance ? 

BS

Kishi is just a big liar

Edited by Nar123, 22 August 2015 - 01:44 AM.

#11 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

Why is he even still doing interviews?  he is just killing his credibility

#12 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:48 AM

Why is he even still doing interviews?  he is just killing his credibility

And that's his goal.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#13 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:52 AM

And that's his goal.

Well that isn`t a very smart idea.  Especially since he plans on starting a new manga

#14 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:52 AM

And that's his goal.

No, he's just stupid.

#15 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:01 AM

No, he's just stupid.

Stupid doesn't not explain running a story, a business for 15 years and then screwing it entirely in the end.

CZSn9hA.jpg

#16 Popuri

Popuri

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,393 posts
  • Interests:Sequel of Final Mission Status!

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

:sleepy:

Even a rock has something it can be used for. There's a way for them to shine that even a jewel can't compare to - Sakamochi Tatsuma :lulz:

#17 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

Kishi,do us a favor and go away and leave the Manga world. You are not cut out to be a writer. And Yahagi, if you're reading this then I'm sorry you had to work with this pathetic excuse of a man.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#18 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:13 AM

Stupid doesn't not explain running a story, a business for 15 years and then screwing it entirely in the end.

He probably means stupid as in saying all of these things instead of keeping his pie hole shut

#19 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

No, he's just stupid.

giphy.gif

#20 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:16 AM

You'd be surprised

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

Edited by Nar123, 22 August 2015 - 02:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users