Wait a minute...there was a DSi XL?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:34 AM

I can't even keep up with Nintendo and their global oversaturation of different handheld versions anymore @.@

http://videogames.ya...-dsi-xl/1395084

#2 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:39 AM

You're not the only one...

I was reading the latest K-Mart circular paper earlier today and I was like "WTF?! Another DS?!!!" DX

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#3 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:47 AM

Me Three... had I know about t, I prob gonna trade my DSLite for it... Pretty much I didn't trade it for DSi coz its well... crap. but the DSi XL specs look pretty nice. Well... I have to buy a new R4 for it though...

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#4 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:54 AM

I've been seeing the damned commercial for it nonstop the past few days. Chose a great time to release it, they did. I mean, it's not like they're releasing a 3D handheld system soon or anything. rolleyes.gif

#5 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (KungFuTruffle @ Mar 27 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IChose a great time to release it, they did. I mean, it's not like they're releasing a 3D handheld system soon or anything. rolleyes.gif

Heh, thats why I said if I HAD known of it. Well, they blew their chance of selling it to me... unless if the 3DS prove to be a total dissapointment

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#6 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

Nintendo is milking the DS for all its worth where's the new handheld?

uc.png

#7 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:56 AM

Nintendo is just gonna wind up confusing buyers on so many different models coming out. headscratch.gif

#8 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Mar 26 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nintendo is just gonna wind up confusing buyers on so many different models coming out. headscratch.gif

I'm already confused to the point my brain is broken.

uc.png

#9 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

As I said, it's just oversaturation of the market.

#10 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

Nintendo's always been king of this kind of s***.

Game Boy --> Game Boy Pocket --> Game Boy Light --> Game Boy Color --> Game Boy Advance --> Game Boy Advance SP --> Game Boy Advance Micro --> Nintendo DS --> DS Lite --> DSi --> DSi XL --> 3DS

I'm sure we'll have a 3DS Supah Small and a 3DSi within two years of the 3DS launch.

Edited by dl316bh, 27 March 2010 - 04:56 AM.

bd5.jpg

#11 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

*laughs* I still have the DS Lite and I hardly ever use it, my PSP is so much better to me.
Sorry Nintendo but even with this, you're products are less good than Sony's when coming to me.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#12 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 27 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Game Boy --> Game Boy Pocket --> Game Boy Light --> Game Boy Color --> Game Boy Advance --> Game Boy Advance SP --> Game Boy Advance Micro --> Nintendo DS --> DS Lite --> DSi --> DSi XL --> 3DS

I'm sure we'll have a 3DS Supah Small and a 3DSi within two years of the 3DS launch.

Wooow...now that you've listed it all out I never realized how much of a 'playah' Nintendo was/is the gaming business tongue.gif

#13 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

What you talking about 3D was yesterday, it's all about the 4D. biggrin.gif So much ocular power, no wait please, stop it my eyes, their burning aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! biggrin.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 27 March 2010 - 05:30 AM.

#14 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Mar 27 2010, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you talking about 3D was yesterday, it's all about the 4D. biggrin.gif So much ocular power, no wait please, stop it my eyes, their burning ahhh! biggrin.gif

Hehe, seriously at the rate they're going who knows where Nintendo will find themselves in a few years tongue.gif

#15 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 27 2010, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wooow...now that you've listed it all out I never realized how much of a 'playah' Nintendo was/is the gaming business tongue.gif

Oh yeah, they've always been tops at this kind of market saturation. These are just the stock editions. If I started listing off all the "Limited Edition" variants, we could be here all night.

It's kind of sad to realize that such is eleven systems and variations over a mere three Nintendo handheld generations.
bd5.jpg

#16 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 27 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... now that you put the diagram like that, I can't help but realize another difference between Sony and Nintendo, at least as far as Handheld Gaming is concerned:

Sony: Use the same product, make small improvements on it (better graphic, longer battery life, etc) but its still pretty much the same thing until they suddenly launch something that goes leaps and bound from it. (I mean... can any1 really tell whats so different between PSP Version 2005 and version 3000 other than slightly better graphic which isn't that much noticeable I might add?)
Nintendo: Make big changes from 1 to the next (B&W > Color > Double Screen > Touchscreen) but keep what already works as it is.

Edited by BlackLightning, 27 March 2010 - 06:00 AM.

#17 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:04 AM

I don't think Nintendo's progress is always constant, though. A lot of those variations are the same thing as what you mentioned Sony doing; the advancements tend to come chiefly with the advent of each real generation. For the most part, the variations amount to nothing more than a smaller size; the Game Boy Color is an exception and yet it isn't, really being little more than a glorified Super Game Boy that got a pittance of games taking advantage of the palette before the GBA replaced it. The backlight thing isn't really an improvement either; it came into play late in the original Game Boy's life, but was nowhere to be found again until it was needed as an incentive for GBA owners to invest in the SP re-issue of the system. So they introduced it, took it away and brought it back down the line to get folks to invest in a new model of an already existing system.

Then there's the DSi, which just adds a crappy camera you could get with a stock cellphone and removes GBA functionality.

With Sony, I suppose it depends largely on whom you ask. For some people, the all digital download Go! variation was a big deal. For others, not so much; I personally do not buy into the whole "digital merchandise" thing for the most part. In a way, it was intended to be another option, which is kind of different from how variations normally run, more or less replacing the previous model.

Edited by dl316bh, 27 March 2010 - 06:10 AM.

bd5.jpg

#18 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 27 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think Nintendo's progress is always constant, though. A lot of those variations are the same thing as what you mentioned Sony doing; the advancements tend to come chiefly with the advent of each real generation. For the most part, the variations amount to nothing more than a smaller size; the Game Boy Color is an exception and yet it isn't, really being little more than a glorified Super Game Boy that got a pittance of games taking advantage of the palette before the GBA replaced it. The backlight thing isn't really an improvement either; it came into play late in the original Game Boy's life, but was nowhere to be found again until it was needed as an incentive for GBA owners to invest in the SP re-issue of the system. So they introduced it, took it away and brought it back down the line to get folks to invest in a new model of an already existing system.

Then there's the DSi, which just adds a crappy camera you could get with a stock cellphone and removes GBA functionality.

With Sony, I suppose it depends largely on whom you ask. For some people, the all digital download Go! variation was a big deal. For others, not so much; I personally do not buy into the whole "digital merchandise" thing for the most part. In a way, it was intended to be another option, which is kind of different from how variations normally run, more or less replacing the previous model.

Fair enough I guess, then again I jump straight from Gameboy to NDS for nintendo while Sony? I only have the version 2005 PSP and PS2. So... yeah, I admit that I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to handheld gaming

#19 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Oh. I thought everyone knew about the DSi XL. XD; So says the guy who checks a gaming blog nearly every day.

Honestly, it's not worth going for the XL at this point, especially when you consider we could be mere months away from a brand new Nintendo handheld that (hopefully) blows it out of the water.

QUOTE (Edward Uzumaki @ Mar 27 2010, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nintendo is milking the DS for all its worth where's the new handheld?

The 3DS IS the new handheld. While it will be backwards compatible with DS games (it'll have 2 4" screens, only slightly smaller than a DSi XL's), it will be a major upgrade instead of a repackaged DS.

#20 Guest_SS3 Goku_*

Guest_SS3 Goku_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

i mite have to check it out from my DS light

sigh half the games i have for super nintendo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users