12 replies to this topic

#1 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

So I was procrastinating today and I ended up browsing Kotaku and I read their review of the Boruto movie and I was surprised at how favorable the comments were about the movie. Sure, there was a good number mocking Naruto and Sasuke's terrible parenting and the destruction of Sakura's character. But on the whole it was positive.

So I got to thinking about the popularity of Naruto. At least in the US, there seems to be a lot of fans still hanging on and talking about how great it was. And indeed, it was widely popular here for an anime. Does that create a cultural pressure to praise the show?

To make a rather bad comparison: the NFL plays games on Thursday nights. Objectively speaking, the games are bad. Players are still hurt from the previous Sunday. They can't take their pain killer shots due to NFL regulations, they have less time to prepare, etc. But we all watch them and we act like they're entertaining. I think a lot of this is because we're expected to enjoy the games to be able to understand the cultural zeitgeist.

Is that happening with Naruto? Will time eventually pass and we'll be able to reflect on the show/manga without the oppressive lens of the shipping wars or all the drama of Kishi's interviews, etc? Will people like Sawyer or Forneverworld be able to look back in 5 years and say "yes, there was a noticeable drop in quality after Pein?" Or, "yes, Kishi did a poor job of selling us the ships."

#2 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

people have been criticizing the manga since part 1... praise and critiques will always go on, if you want to see only criticism, that's not going to happen. also those who watched boruto are pro-fans/neutral fans, they're not going to nit-pick at the details.

Edited by Hanabi, 24 October 2015 - 05:53 PM.

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#3 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Naruto already become immortal thanks to it's popularity.
So I don't think it will stop.

#4 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

I'm not sure why the positive reception towards the Boruto movie is that surprising. Unlike the Last it doesn't destroy canon, it was just a Father Son story. Even I thought it was a far from bad film

As for if the praise will continue, now that its finished people may start to look at it more objectively now. There was so many problems that go on beyond the pairings

Edited by Namikaze Clan, 24 October 2015 - 11:58 PM.

#5 Toby

Toby

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:13 AM

I think on the internet there's more people who hate the movie than like the movie like on a WESTERN site like MAL for example, the top review is the one that rated it 1/10

http://myanimelist.n...e_Movie/reviews

#6 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:37 AM

I think on the internet there's more people who hate the movie than like the movie like on a WESTERN site like MAL for example, the top review is the one that rated it 1/10

I just read the review and fckin christ I had no idea. I didn't think Naruto could get worse, even more douchy and OOC. This is the movie Kishi considers his masterpiece, I hope for gods sake this isn't another one of his inspirations from his own family, if he's that kinda dad irl I'd pray for his kids. How can NHers ignore this, just for their ship? I can't even be sad I mean it isn't Naruto anywayz..

ナルサク

#7 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Never really trusted kotaku for anything including standard. The were a big part of the whole incident that led to the gamergate movement happening.

#8 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

Kotaku is to be ignored by all means for obvious reasons.

/thread

#9 Vice

Vice

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Stuff....

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

Nearly all of the casual anime fans in the west are completely oblivious to the fact that Naruto has ended and half of them are still watching the dubbed version on Adult Swim.

xg0g.gif

#10 ichigo500

ichigo500

Ichigo gunyu

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hehe...hahaha...hahahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA ! :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: Oh God ! So Naruto is THAT bad as a father ?!! 

tumblr_nq5cp7mpWa1t4u7tdo1_500.gif

:love: Kiss Kiss Fall in love  :love: 

My tumblr

#11 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

Nearly all of the casual anime fans in the west are completely oblivious to the fact that Naruto has ended and half of them are still watching the dubbed version on Adult Swim.

Kinda oft, but omeone should take the sig you have and change Obito with adult Naruto. :w00t:

ナルサク

#12 Shadow1275

Shadow1275

Lone Wolf

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:I have lots of hobbies..

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:57 PM

Hehe...hahaha...hahahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA ! :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: Oh God ! So Naruto is THAT bad as a father ?!! 

He Who is Brave is Free-Seneca

^I have a lightsaber your argument is invalid^

"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."

#13 One Piece Nation

One Piece Nation

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

I'm not sure why the positive reception towards the Boruto movie is that surprising. Unlike the Last it doesn't destroy canon, it was just a Father Son story. Even I thought it was a far from bad film

As for if the praise will continue, now that its finished people may start to look at it more objectively now. There was so many problems that go on beyond the pairings

Just really i saw Boruto and loved it and I don't like the ending that much 

"It’s wrong to resent a child for the sins of his father.” -Edward Newgate “Whitebeard” (One Piece).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users