Close
Photo

Kishimoto Bad At Developing Female Characters?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

Poll: Kishimoto Bad At Developing Female Characters? (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Ever since the start of Naruto Kishimoto hasn't been that kind to female characters, especially Sakura. Even now as Sakura has shown amazing development as a ninja not since the Save Gaara arc has she really done anything. Is Kishimoto unfair to women in his manga?

1. Yes (59 votes [59.60%])

Percentage of vote: 59.60%

2. No (40 votes [40.40%])

Percentage of vote: 40.40%

Vote

#21 Karin-chan

Karin-chan

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

Yes. Even Sakura-chan as the lead female hasn't done much. For most of Part 1 she was just...there. In Part 2, she's finally done something but has still been pushed out of the picture.

As for Ino whom I really like, I hate the way she's portrayed as being so superficial. When we saw her and Sakura's childhood, she was someone who didn't care about Sakura's appearances and who would rather keep friendship than create a rift between her and Sakura. After that, she was never really portrayed in that light, in my opinion.

Hinata had ONE fight, that's all she did. I don't know why people are acting like she's the queen of the manga but she needs to be developed more before she can be paired up with anyone.

Tenten (even though Kishimoto-san likes her character design more than Sakura, Ino, or Hinata) has had ZERO development. It's just sad.

Tsunade was developed well in my opinion.

Kurenai and Anko have received almost none but still more thatn Tenten.

And...Temari...well,he fought. (I don't feel like saying anything else about the matter.)

#22 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Karin-chan @ Sep 20 2007, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. Even Sakura-chan as the lead female hasn't done much. For most of Part 1 she was just...there. In Part 2, she's finally done something but has still been pushed out of the picture.

As for Ino whom I really like, I hate the way she's portrayed as being so superficial. When we saw her and Sakura's childhood, she was someone who didn't care about Sakura's appearances and who would rather keep friendship than create a rift between her and Sakura. After that, she was never really portrayed in that light, in my opinion.

Hinata had ONE fight, that's all she did. I don't know why people are acting like she's the queen of the manga but she needs to be developed more before she can be paired up with anyone.

Tenten (even though Kishimoto-san likes her character design more than Sakura, Ino, or Hinata) has had ZERO development. It's just sad.

Tsunade was developed well in my opinion.

Kurenai and Anko have received almost none but still more thatn Tenten.

And...Temari...well,he fought. (I don't feel like saying anything else about the matter.)

I don't disagree with you, but I think Sakura is almost the same way as Naruto in part 2. Developed early on and then not focussed on that much, though Naruto had more panel time than Sakura but in terms of doing things I would say they are about the same.

#23 Karin-chan

Karin-chan

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (narutokage @ Sep 23 2007, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't disagree with you, but I think Sakura is almost the same way as Naruto in part 2. Developed early on and then not focussed on that much, though Naruto had more panel time than Sakura but in terms of doing things I would say they are about the same.

You think that? Naruto has done more than Sakura, in my opinion. That's kind of..a given. The main characters always do the most things. Whether it be Ichigo from Bleach of Usagi from Sailor Moon, in every manga I've read, it's like that including Naruto.

#24 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Karin-chan @ Sep 23 2007, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think that? Naruto has done more than Sakura, in my opinion. That's kind of..a given. The main characters always do the most things. Whether it be Ichigo from Bleach of Usagi from Sailor Moon, in every manga I've read, it's like that including Naruto.

Thats a given that main characters do most sure. But what I meant was that he hasn't just left Sakura or at least thrown her out of the loop. Its just that the focus is moving during every week of the manga from Team Kakashi to Sasuke to Pein and Jiraiya. Its not that she has been useless after her part. Its the focus thats been moving away.

#25 SakuDotz

SakuDotz

Fly away to Dotzland! :D

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interest would probably be in potatoes and lot's of funtastic things....

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:26 PM

Tsunade is most definitely a developed character in my opinion. I'm not saying that the female characters aren't developed or useful because I think that almost all of the females capable of fighting are in some ways useful to the plot it's just as NarutoKage mentioned, the FOCUS is lessening from some of them. Actually, most of them recently. (I hope that makes sense). But still not in a sexist way to me.

#26 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Dotz @ Sep 30 2007, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tsunade is most definitely a developed character in my opinion. I'm not saying that the female characters aren't developed or useful because I think that almost all of the females capable of fighting are in some ways useful to the plot it's just as NarutoKage mentioned, the FOCUS is lessening from some of them. Actually, most of them recently. (I hope that makes sense). But still not in a sexist way to me.

Glad you agree. And I agree that the females are capable of fighting. If everyone becomes mighty powerful it takes it away from the storyline. The weakness provides a semblance of fictional reality. I know its an oxymoron but I think it best describes what I am trying to say.

#27 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:26 AM

The problem is that Kishi is a guy who never had been a girl and probably wil never be. He knows how a guy mind developes and tries to use his knowledge at maksimum, The pblem is that he has no knowledge on female development thus he minimises that part.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#28 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Pite @ Oct 3 2007, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is that Kishi is a guy who never had been a girl and probably wil never be.

Wow, Oxymoron time. ;D

Look.

Kishi and the rest of the Shonen artists have that issue.

If the anime isn't based on a female character , then most of females will be 'weak' and not have much of a plot centering.

From what I've seen, some anime , that were based on female characters showed a lot of plot time over the female characters , leaving behind the males ones. Burst Angel for one example. The plot line was centered over the mercenary women , leaving some important male characters having more screen time then some a Bill Cosby ' I love pudding ' comercial.

And Naruto is a male audition centered anime. Like Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball Z and even Saint Seiya.

So pretty much , the male cast will have their moments , leaving the females with a total blink of the dark.

#29 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (ForgottenYakatsu @ Oct 3 2007, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, Oxymoron time. ;D

Look.

Kishi and the rest of the Shonen artists have that issue.

If the anime isn't based on a female character , then most of females will be 'weak' and not have much of a plot centering.

From what I've seen, some anime , that were based on female characters showed a lot of plot time over the female characters , leaving behind the males ones. Burst Angel for one example. The plot line was centered over the mercenary women , leaving some important male characters having more screen time then some a Bill Cosby ' I love pudding ' comercial.

And Naruto is a male audition centered anime. Like Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball Z and even Saint Seiya.

So pretty much , the male cast will have their moments , leaving the females with a total blink of the dark.

you are absolutely right. It would be amazing if the shonen managaka would concentrate on the whole cast. Alas it is not possible. I guess they do the best they can in the limitation that they have. And you right, Naruto's target audience was suppose to be male so I guess that what kishi-sensei concentrated on.

#30 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

Yep, he's bad at it alright. He makes Sakura a completely useless character in terms of combat for the first part of naruto. Then all of a sudden, she gets determination. It's pretty weird.

It's not bad weird, but, yeah u get my pic. He obviously does a better job with the males for some reason.

My vote is yes. XD
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#31 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

No. On the contrary, to be honest.

Sakura goes from being a weak girl who depends on her team mates to protect her to a strong and competent medic-nin. Considering the fact that she has no artificial power boosts (bijuu/bloodline) like the rest of her team, that is indeed a great accomplishment. While she hasn't done all that much in terms of actual fighting, if it's her development you're referring to, it's done well in my opinion. Sakura's growth is one of the biggest improvements in a character I've ever seen.

Hinata undergoes a similar change during her fight against Neji. She gains the courage to repeatedly stand back up even when she was being brutally beaten. This show of courage is in direct contrast to the way she was before, and shows how Hinata grew due to the encouragement given to her by her crush.

While the manga is indeed male-centric, it's not very fair to say that the females are badly developed. They simply have less screen time.

#32 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

I agree completely with Sqleon. Some female characters (cough Tenten cough) may have had jackall development, but like sqleon stated, there are others with heaps of development.

#33 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

When compared to the development of males, Kishi seriously overlooked the females.

Yes, they all got stronger, but really, take Hinata for example, still shy?
And Sakura? Still bashing Naruto around? After 3 years of not seeing your teammate? Lol, i noe that one has a reason but still.....

#34 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Yes, they all got stronger, but really, take Hinata for example, still shy?
And Sakura? Still bashing Naruto around? After 3 years of not seeing your teammate? Lol, i noe that one has a reason but still.....

...Naruto? Still ramen obsessed and asking Sakura on dates? Lee? Still full of "youthfulness"?

Honestly, those things you stated are all facets of their personalities. I wouldn't expect them to change, it's totally irrelevant to say that they prove the female characters are underdeveloped.

#35 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Sigh, Ok, then you tell me, what you think he is GOOD at, coz i seriously dunnoe anymore.

If it's not THOSE qualities you should change wehn you MATURE, what is? XD

#36 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

Okay Wilson, here's something new for you.

Here's the answer

Satisfied? tongue.gif

#37 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:45 PM

Very funny Squall. Think you're smart huh........

Well, you've just reconfirmed my viewpoint that people should MATURE, and stop being the same as before!

You need to be specific bro, i'm retaining my opinion. HA! XD

#38 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Development refers to development in the way they view the world and behave as a whole. It's nothing to do with maturity. The dynamics of the NaruSaku relationship where she bashes him for being an idiot makes me laugh, which is one of the reasons I ship it in the first place. It's a lighthearted, cheerful relationship that should never change. It doesn't prove that Sakura is under-developed, just that she behaves in that way towards Naruto. The development lies in the fact that while she bashes Naruto with malicious intent solely because he is annoying at first, it later develops into an almost friendly gesture that is not performed because she thinks he is annoying, but rather to correct his behaviour or simply as a habit.

#39 Recompense

Recompense

Shameful Member of the YEAR!!

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:57 AM

Development.

Remember, all the kids were 12 whent he series STARTED, i dont know bout you, but if you compare any 15 year old with how they acted when they were 12, there will be differences, yet similiarities. For Example

Sakura age 12: Fangirl, dependent on others, has severe self-confidence issues, hates perverts, hits Naruto

Naruto age 12: Loud, annoying, rambunctious, will NEVER shut up, has extreme over-confidence issues, is... not all that smart, perverted

Sakura age 15: Self-reliant, Confident, Talented, Hates perverts, Hits Naruto

Naruto age 15: WILL shut up now, is not as annoying, loud, or rambunctious, is not as arrogant, will act smart. perverted, lurvz ramen

Similarities?

Sakura: Hits Naruto, Hates Perverts

Naruto: perverted, lurvz ramen

Differences?

Sakura: overall talent and demeanor

Naruto: some talent and demeanor.

In a way, Sakura has developed MORE than Naruto has.

tongue.gif
I'm just sitting here. Wondering what it'd be like To be with you.

#40 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

See. That's why Compy is awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users