#1 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

The plot of Final Fantasy XIII revolves around the fal'Cie (pronounced /ˈfælsiː/), beings created from crystals residing inside them. People who are marked by the fal'Cie for greater purposes are called l'Cie. Each l'Cie has a Focus, a goal the fal'Cie wants him or her to fulfill within a certain amount of time; however, the fal'Cie do not explicitly say what the goal is. l'Cie gain the ability to summon Eidolons (monsters who fight with the l'Cie), but this ability comes with a price: if an l'Cie runs out of time or dies before completing his or her Focus, he or she becomes a monster known as a "Cie Corpse."

Some thirteen centuries ago, a fal'Cie constructed a paradise for humanity: the shell-like city of Cocoon, which floats high above the surface of the world known as Pulse. Both Pulse and Cocoon are maintained by their own fal'Cie. Cocoon's fal'Cie created life forms and machines for its inhabitants to use, and humanity flourished. Over time, the people of Cocoon began to fear for the safety of their world, and they worried that it would be cast down from the sky into the hell that they saw Pulse to be.

In the present day, the wilderness of Pulse has strange effects on people, and the theocratic government of Cocoon, known as Sanctum, quarantines and exiles anyone who has been influenced by Pulse from Cocoon with the help of its mighty army, PSICOM. However, as Snow leads Team Nora in a vain attempt to stop the purging of civilians, the mysterious Lightning fights her way past PSICOM soldiers to find Pulse's fal'Cie with the aid of Sazh. Through a chain of events, these three, along with two exiles, Vanille and Hope, are chosen by the fal'Cie of Pulse against their will to become l'Cie, and with that become enemies of humanity who are tasked with bringing about the downfall of Cocoon.
English version game trailer --Click here to view--
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this already seeing as it will be released in Japan soon enough. Anyway, after a few years of not playing a good Final Fantasy game (FFX was the last one I enjoyed, X-2, 11, and 12 were just...yeah) it looks as if XIII will finally deliver us an epic Final Fantasy JRPG we've been long waiting for. Are you ready for some melodramatic angst between people who look like they spent too much time at the salon? How about some epic fighting action with gun swords and turning into cars?! And of course the engaging storyline captivated by amazing graphics entwined with enchanting music (even though Nobuo Uematsu isn't a part of it).

So far I really like what's been shown. The combat seems pretty entertaining and fast paced action go nice along with the chain combos. The universe is pretty unique in itself and looks like much to be explored with astounding visuals. The characters seem rather interesting even though there is no token "cool" guy (well I guess Snow, but Lighting seems to be the title character) with a nice diverse cast for your party as well as opponents. It's going to be released in the States around April 2010 so it's going to be hard avoiding spoilers when the game is going to be in Japan a few months earlier, but at least we'll get reviews. I much look forward to pre-ordering it as soon as possible!

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Snow...Lightning...Vanilla...Hope...these character names are just lulzy XD

#3 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Vanilla Ice is in this?!

#4 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Oct 3 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vanilla Ice is in this?!

XDDD

#5 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

Believe it or not, I've had this pre-ordered for 3 years. So yea, you could say I'm just a bit excited for it.

Vanilla Ice is in this?!

The thing is, in the world of Final Fantasy, stuff like this is possible.

#6 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

Yeah, I preordered it about a year ago. Right around the time when it was being joked about how many HD-DVD's the game was going to be on because I got it for the 360. Star Ocean takes 3 CD's, so I figure FFXIII is going to be at least 10, since it's 3 or 4 Blu-ray discs. (Been a while since I remember reading something like that.)

When are we supposed to see it here? Springtime, right? I heard they were working on localization stuff at the same time they were making the game, so Japan will probably get the 6-month lead.

I've never owned a playstation, so the last games of the series I've played was VII, VIII, and XI, because they were all released for PC.

#7 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:13 AM

I'm definitely going to buy this game a_thumbs.gif and I also can't hardly wait for it to come out eager.gif but It's gonna hurt my wallet with a couple different versions coming after the original.

#8 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

Resisting urge to import next year... for Japanese voice track...

Btw, Paradox. Wikipedia shows the Xbox version as 3 DVD-DLs.

Edited by Cloud, 07 October 2009 - 02:16 AM.

#9 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

So perhaps I misread then. Cool, didn't think to check Wiki.

#10 Ashley

Ashley

JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Otakus, Video games, It's a Trap!, Colorguard, Cartoons, Epic Fail Guy, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Ouendan, Vocaloid, drawing, Gainax, shojo, shounen, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, pairings, anime figures(Otaku desires?), movies, Tegaki, South Park, Hikaru Utada, etc.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

The graphics look sexy *A*
I am still pinky-ash

#11 shmobeline

shmobeline

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:05 AM

I'm gonna pre-order it as soon as I'm given the chance. Do we have a release date for Versus XIII yet?

And agreed on the name sentiment. They're pretty hilarious.

#12 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (shmobeline @ Oct 26 2009, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gonna pre-order it as soon as I'm given the chance. Do we have a release date for Versus XIII yet?

And agreed on the name sentiment. They're pretty hilarious.

Nothing on Versus yet, but don't expect it to come stateside till 2011

#13 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

Now that I have a PS3 I'm torn as to what version I'm gonna get, oh and the names of the characters are retarded I mean Rain? Vanilla? Are you serious Square? I know this is the 13th Final Fantasy but there are plenty of other names you've never used. This will also be the 2nd Final Fantasy without series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and the first without game composer Nobuo Uematsu.

uc.png

#14 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (FullmetalNinjaED @ Oct 31 2009, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that I have a PS3 I'm torn as to what version I'm gonna get, oh and the names of the characters are retarded I mean Rain? Vanilla? Are you serious Square? I know this is the 13th Final Fantasy but there are plenty of other names you've never used.

Tidus.

Squall.

Cloud.

Sabin.

Shadow.

And Sauze ( Sauce if you aren't seeing the Japanese>English connection )

Should I continue or are you still raving over something that's been a code-mark in the FF series since you were in kindergarten?

Edited by Yakatsu, 01 November 2009 - 06:16 AM.

#15 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

Release date is March 3rd, 2010 for North America and Europe. I was expecting an April or summer release but this is great to hear its coming sooner than I expected. I hope they do a Collector's Edition like they did with FFXII.

EDIT: And we have our main theme!

I didn't weaboo rage too hard that their wasn't a Japanese song for the U.S. version, but I think it's pretty nice change that suits the Final Fantasy series that's constantly evolving every time. Listening to the song it suits well for Lightening as the female protagonist.

#16 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (True @ Nov 14 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Release date is March 3rd, 2010 for North America and Europe. I was expecting an April or summer release but this is great to hear its coming sooner than I expected. I hope they do a Collector's Edition like they did with FFXII.

Didn't the end of the video say March 9th?

But yeah, this game will be epic. I'm totally playing this on my HD projector with full surround. Yay for own apartment!

#17 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Vyse @ Nov 15 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't the end of the video say March 9th?

But yeah, this game will be epic. I'm totally playing this on my HD projector with full surround. Yay for own apartment!

Yeah It is March 9th, True failed at his own countries time/date format tongue.gif

I also agree with True, the song isn't too bad, I prefer the Japanese song, but I can live with this one.

#18 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:51 AM

Lol whoops I screwed up there cause I take the GMAT on that date and six days later I can get FFXIII

#19 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (True @ Nov 14 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol whoops I screwed up there cause I take the GMAT on that date and six days later I can get FFXIII.

kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

I'll be overseas when both versions release! I might import the Japanese one >_<

#20 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:33 AM

I have a question: How many of these Final Fantasy Games are for PC? I'd like to get into the series sometime if I have the time, and it seems kind of compelling, since I have only known Advent Children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users