#1 NarutoNamikaze

NarutoNamikaze

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

Hello everyone.

I have recently read that everyone likes Suzuka. I have even been recommened to watch it. Though I have watched the first episode and I see no plot thickening and I do not like it very much. If you could please could anyone tell me if I should go on and if it gets any better? Please.

#2 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

I think this should go to the Otaku Square but I'll answer it anyway...

Imo, Suzuka is quite boring if you're not into romance rather than sport afteral thats where the story focus is. otherwise, go ahead...

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#3 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

It thickens but just not early in the series. Watch a few more episodes an then decide. Funimation's dub is terrible though. Stick 2 the subs.
\

#4 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

Moved to Otaku Square.

Suzuka is seriously rage inducing anime. If you have patience in order to stand heavy amounts of drama then go ahead, but really it gets frustrating as you move along watching it.

Typical layout.

Yamato: I think..think I love you!
Suzuka: Well I don't love you!
Yamato: I'll become whatever you want me to be!
Suzuka: You'll never be like my last boyfriend!
Yamato: Fine! I dont care anymore!
Suzuka: Wait..maybe..maybe I was wrong..
Yamato: Really? You mean it!?
Suzuka: I don't know!

<rinse repeat for 26 episodes>

If you can tolerate the drama then it's a nice watch, but otherwise their are other better series.

#5 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (True @ Jul 18 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moved to Otaku Square.

Suzuka is seriously rage inducing anime. If you have patience in order to stand heavy amounts of drama then go ahead, but really it gets frustrating as you move along watching it.

Typical layout.

If you can tolerate the drama then it's a nice watch, but otherwise their are other better series.

Yeah, True speaks the truth... Impossible to not play it as a pun, even if I did say it wasn't intended, no one would believe me. The anime ends sooner, but the manga's story gets a little more complicated, but I like the anime's last few arcs more, but the anime plays like a basic Korean soap opera too... just a little more violent on the female protagonist's side.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#6 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (True @ Jul 18 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moved to Otaku Square.

Typical layout.

Pretty much everything can be simplified down to something like this, but if we simplified everything down like this, nothing would be worth watching. It's true that it does have alot of drama, but that's the entire point of a romance/drama anime, and if you cant handle the drama, you probably shouldn't be watching these types of shows in the first place.

In my opinion, as a Romance/Drama anime, it does it's job, and I thought it was great. Most people think its biggest problem is the fact it went for 26 episodes and would have been better if it was a 13 episode series, although I'm very glad it was a 26 episode series. Anyway, if you like romance anime, this is a good choice, otherwise go watch something with guns or swords or robots where things blow up or blood is spilled lol.

#7 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Rick (Bonta-kun) @ Jul 18 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, if you like romance anime, this is a good choice, otherwise go watch something with guns or swords or robots where things blow up or blood is spilled lol.

I'm glad you brought up these two genres as two of my favorite animes are tagged with these as well as romance, and in my opinion vastly superior to Suzuka.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is a 4 episode OVA series that preludes Rurouni Kenshin. This is one of the very few series I'd give a perfect 10 and classify as a masterpiece. It is one of the most spectacular animes I've ever seen as it tells the tragic story of two lovers in the feudal era of Japan and the struggles they must endure with one another. This is truly a moving story that will have an everlasting impression on whoever watches it. Though as a warning it is not for the faint of heart as it has lots of violence and a realistic portrayal of a Japanese era in chaos.

Full Metal Panic! including both Fumoffu! and The Second Raid is a fantastic mecha series with great romantic tension between the male/female lead. It offers a good high school setting with comedy, drama, romance, and of course mecha. Fumofuu! is easily one of the funniest animes you'll ever watch and it provides awesome interaction between the main characters. The Second Raid holds top notch animation and is a darker theme, but has great romance as well as incredible mecha action on par with Gundam and Macross.

Of course everyone has their own tastes and preferences so you'll just have to view the many potential series out there and decide for yourself what you like. I know I haven't liked over half the animes I've watched, so there is a lot of experimentation that goes into watching an anime and deciding what type of genre(s) you like and find similar series.

#8 NarutoNamikaze

NarutoNamikaze

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (True @ Jul 18 2009, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad you brought up these two genres as two of my favorite animes are tagged with these as well as romance, and in my opinion vastly superior to Suzuka.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is a 4 episode OVA series that preludes Rurouni Kenshin. This is one of the very few series I'd give a perfect 10 and classify as a masterpiece. It is one of the most spectacular animes I've ever seen as it tells the tragic story of two lovers in the feudal era of Japan and the struggles they must endure with one another. This is truly a moving story that will have an everlasting impression on whoever watches it. Though as a warning it is not for the faint of heart as it has lots of violence and a realistic portrayal of a Japanese era in chaos.

Full Metal Panic! including both Fumoffu! and The Second Raid is a fantastic mecha series with great romantic tension between the male/female lead. It offers a good high school setting with comedy, drama, romance, and of course mecha. Fumofuu! is easily one of the funniest animes you'll ever watch and it provides awesome interaction between the main characters. The Second Raid holds top notch animation and is a darker theme, but has great romance as well as incredible mecha action on par with Gundam and Macross.

Of course everyone has their own tastes and preferences so you'll just have to view the many potential series out there and decide for yourself what you like. I know I haven't liked over half the animes I've watched, so there is a lot of experimentation that goes into watching an anime and deciding what type of genre(s) you like and find similar series.

*Gets notepad and starts jotting notes down madly with a sinister laugh.*

Anyway I took the advice and finished the entire anime in one night. I have to say though Samurai was a nice girl she was rather annoying because she had funny hair track guy for her. Suzuka I have to say is quite bi-polar which is not very healthy for someone her age.

And also I think she should've at least returned the kiss to see if she actually did like Yamato. The ending was also a little off because he didn't race arime again which just confused me to no end.

Though I liked the last seen, but overall for my first romance anime it was quite predictable and I had to skip over a couple YamaSamu parts as it was stupid how not in love they were and also it makes my blood boil smile.gif

Thank you for the advice. tongue.gif

#9 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

No problem. Glad to always help!

And wow one night!?! That's pretty damn impressive to finish a pretty long series such as Suzuka. Very admirable for you to have stuck through and watched it all biggrin.gif

Suzuka was also one of the first romance series I watched and from it I learned I'm not really into the heavy drama-soap opera type series. I prefer romantic-comedies or action/adventure with romance as a side element. Like I said you just have to browse the many series their are and decide to have a go at one that seems interesting. Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal in my opinion is a show that any anime watcher has to see since it really is a beautiful piece and held in very top regard. Plus even though its a short series, it's very captivating and has a good strong lasting impression.

#10 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (True @ Jul 18 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is a 4 episode OVA series that preludes Rurouni Kenshin. This is one of the very few series I'd give a perfect 10 and classify as a masterpiece.

I concur completely. It is my favorite anime movie.

QUOTE (NarutoNamikaze @ Jul 18 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway I took the advice and finished the entire anime in one night. I have to say though Samurai was a nice girl she was rather annoying because she had funny hair track guy for her. Suzuka I have to say is quite bi-polar which is not very healthy for someone her age.

And also I think she should've at least returned the kiss to see if she actually did like Yamato. The ending was also a little off because he didn't race arime again which just confused me to no end.

Though I liked the last seen, but overall for my first romance anime it was quite predictable and I had to skip over a couple YamaSamu parts as it was stupid how not in love they were and also it makes my blood boil smile.gif

Yeah, Suzuka's sudden rages, can be really off-putting. Many guys, myself including, would not go after someone who is abusive as her. There's abusive as in Part 1 Sakura for comedic effect and there's Suzuka's abusive... which is emotional and physical. I believe she ranks as one of the lowest characters liked in the manga. Anyway, read the manga, the first few parts are exactly like the anime, but it gets better, and the ending in the manga is much better.

Also as far as the Arima race goes... don't expect too much from the track and field world in the manga either should you decide to read it. the manga looses track of it all together towards the end for a more realistic down to earth simple end.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 18 July 2009 - 09:23 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#11 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (True @ Jul 18 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, I rememeber I saw this, way before I even knew what Rurouni Kenshin was.

If you like a little romance with your action I would also suggest Record of Lodoss War. Parn and Deedlit FTW. Now that is a series I would like to see with some updated animation.

#12 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (NarutoNamikaze @ Jul 18 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the manga continues after. They definetly didn't do such a good job on the anime. But I commend you on sticking with it.

And wow one night!?! That's pretty damn impressive to finish a pretty long series such as Suzuka. Very admirable for you to have stuck through and watched it all

Seriously. I couldn't watch 20+ episodes like that all in one night
\

#13 NarutoNamikaze

NarutoNamikaze

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Ok just as the truth doctor ordered I watched Samurai x. I couldn't stop so I watched Samurai x, then rurouni kenshin all 95, then samurai x reflections. That finally broke me down. That was probably the second sadest thing in my life. The first being my grandfathers death in my mothers arms. Yet still his life was so awful and for it to come to a end like that was just unbelievable. Yet I believe he was satisified because he finally got to attone for all those people he killed by dieing. I wonder how much longer Kauru will live? Can anyone tell me.

Also I watched FMP, FMP Fumoffu, FMP TSR, just as the doctor ordered again. I liked that and I hope there is a 4th season were Kaname gets to confess her fee4lings like Tessa did in the third series. Maybe and hopefully they will kis if Kasheem smile.gif isn't so damn stupid with emotions.

#14 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Samurai X Reflections is not canon. Therefore it doesn't mean Kenshin is dead.

The creator never recognized it as part of his storyline, because he thought that Kenshin deserved a happy ending. (The anime series never showed that, but he had a son in the manga and it ended on a good note)

#15 NarutoNamikaze

NarutoNamikaze

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 23 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Samurai X Reflections is not canon. Therefore it doesn't mean Kenshin is dead.

The creator never recognized it as part of his storyline, because he thought that Kenshin deserved a happy ending. (The anime series never showed that, but he had a son in the manga and it ended on a good note)

Im sorry for giving you that impression. I knew it wasn't cannon, but that in fact still doesn't change the fact that in that story his life was unbelievably sad. I understand he deserved a good life, yet I think I like them about equally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users