• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

D.Gray-Man is back in JUMP after a 3 month break. The original thread's been closed, so it's time to start a new one. Anyone who isn't familiar with it, now's not a bad time to start

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/D.Gray-man

The anime ended its run after catching up to the manga. It's also licensed, so finding streaming episodes could be a challenge.
No problem with clips, though:
OP 1 - "INNOCENT SORROW" by abingdon boys school
OP 2 - "Brightdown" by Nami Tamaki
OP 3 - "Doubt & Trust" by access
OP 4 - "Gekidou" by UVERworld

Direct Download: Links here

Catch up with the manga here

Edited by Dash, 07 March 2009 - 03:56 AM.

#2 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

Think the anime will ever pick back up?

#3 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

If the manga gets ahead enough and popularity of the comic increases again, I don't see why there won't be a new season.

Anime studios are gettign better at doing shorter installments with breaks in between to reduce the amount of filler needed.

(They're learning their lesson from shows like Bleach and Naruto.)

However, if too much time lapses between each season, and people don't really care anymore, then the studios won't fund it. (i.e. Another Full Metal Panic! Season will probably never get made at this rate. =_=)
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#4 Lord Roy

Lord Roy

Seiyuu

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Anime

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Chivalrysae @ Mar 7 2009, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think the anime will ever pick back up?

Not for a while, based on logic... if they do nothing but Manga material, then... one to one and a half years... implement filler (because you know they will), then about sometime in November or December.

#5 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

Reviving an old topic because I wanted to voice my displeasure with the D.Gray-Man manga.

Anyone here read it? Maybe not.

The manga came off (another) hiatus a few months ago and is now releasing a chapter every month. I recently caught up with it , and I must say... I'm quite disappointed. It's only been 3 chapters, but this hiatus seems to have really changed DGM. It's just not the same as it was before.

Slight spoilers below without spoiler tags ~

~
~
~
~

Instead of continuing directly from chapter 186, a time skip seems to have taken place making for a very disjointed feeling when reading chapter 187. There's no real clue to as how long the time skip was either (unless I missed it). Chapter 186 gave off the feeling that if the manga had continued without a hiatus it would have continued on to develop the Third Exorcist characters, begin the Kanda arc (which is what the focus is on currently), and continue with the 14th and Allen. However, reading chapter 187 it feels as if there was a whole bunch of chapters that should have been read between 186 and 187, especially in regards to the Third Exorcist characters.

Everything also feels very rushed now. It feels too much like the mangaka is trying to finish this manga up as quickly as possible now. This leads to a very less entertaining D.Gray-Man. I always enjoyed the "down-time" between action in DGM, where everyone is at HQ interacting. The Allen and Lenalee scene (with the 14th) was great for example. The pace wasn't quick, but it wasn't slow either. But then all of a sudden in 187 the Earl wants to "end the war" and him and the newly and rapidly introduced Noah begin attacking. The Third Exorcist seem to have already become part of the team and before you know it... American HQs are captured and Allen is surrounded by Noah and the Earl. Then the 14th pops out of nowhere (felt a lot more out of place than his other appearances). No Lenalee or Lavi anywhere in sight. And the forced "comedy" sucks.

The art style has changed. Looks like the mangaka has adopted a (even) more bishonen style. I disapprove. Characters look really different from what they did in chapter 186, especially the Earl. Finally, the characters are different. Most of their base personality is there (for most of the characters), but they're still very different than before.

D.Gray-Man died after the last hiatus.

I guess it's for the best, if it continued like it did before... it would probably just end up going on hiatus at some point again.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 23 December 2009 - 07:36 AM.

Pretty bored.

#6 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

I agree with you on some of these issues. Honestly, when d. gray-man came back, I was so confused on what the current storyline was. I just really couldn't remember what was going on, and then we seemed to suddenly jump into a very deep arc involving Kanda being some special creation for fighting. The new art style is also kind of confusing to understand what is going on, but I don't really have that big of an issue with it. I reread the recent chapters and have a better grasp of what is going on, but it does seem off. Actually, I would say it isn't just from the hiatus, but even before that, for example the egg arc, was very rushed. I'm also dissatisfied with the exclusion of Lenalee and Lavi; main characters shouldn't just disappear for so long... She could be rushing things to end the story; I agree it feels like she is based on the sudden appearance of all the Noah. I thought they'd have a more staggered appearance. It seems like the Noah are supposed to be liked in a way, but I have never felt any kind of care for them :/ I'd rather have more of the exorcists in the plot than continuously showing the relationships of the Noah, but that's just me...

Anyways, I'll still read it because things could settle down (not sure how exactly, but hopefully...). I want to learn about Kanda's past and also want to see how Lenalee and Lavi are doing.

#7 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Dec 23 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyways, I'll still read it because things could settle down (not sure how exactly, but hopefully...). I want to learn about Kanda's past and also want to see how Lenalee and Lavi are doing.

I'll still continue reading for completion's sake, and maybe it will settle down. Either way, monthly releases suck.

Still need to learn what happened to Cross, and more about the Heart.
Pretty bored.

#8 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

I [censored]ing LOVE this manga and anime! I have a fanfiction for it (BLATANTADVERTISEMENTHOOHUM) and have a lot of the openings on my iPod. I even got most of the manga and a cosplay! XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users