Close
Photo

While in Akatsuki, how did Itachi 'protect' Konoha?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

So I've been thinking about this, what exactly did Itachi do, while in Akatsuki, to protect Konoha?

I know it was stated that he was a spy/secret agent/protector, but I've wracked my brains and I can't think of a single thing that he did that was 'protective.'

No one knew he was still loyal to Konoha. He never brought info back. He never prevented attacks from happening. He hunted Naruto. He tortured Sasuke, mentally and physically. And he almost killed Kakashi.

In fact, if he left the village to make Sasuke stronger, then it backfired horribly. Sasuke sought out and was manipulated by Orochimaru. So when Itachi and Sasuke finally clashed, Itachi had to draw out Orochimaru's toxic curse mark — which isn't exactly a kindness since Itachi drove him to Orochimaru in the first place. And Itachi didn't repair anything with Sasuke, offer any kind of explanation, instead he left it all to Tobi (whom he also tried to kill through a jutsu planted in Sasuke). If he'd succeeded, then Sasuke never would have known of Itachi's supposed kindness. 

And acutally, Sasuke could have probably gotten on with his life at that point.

Anyway, how exactly was Itachi protecting anything by going to Akatsuki? How was he a supposed double agent or still loyal to Konoha if he never acted on it? And if he did it for Sasuke, then why didn't he make a greater effort to protect him from harm or at least explain why?

#2 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:25 AM

Nobody know.
We can presume that itachi is jiraiya spy Eventhought there are no indication toward it.

#3 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

I honestly don't believe Kishimoto planned out Itachi's whole story when he first created him. It's not like Snape's story from HP where everything falls into place at the end and makes you go "aha!". No there were too many holes with "the truth of Itachi" such as him being a loving brother when he literally ruined Sasuke's life. He was the most useless spy ever and did more harm than good. I truly believe that Kishi asspulled his story so that Sasuke could have an excuse to still be the villain..and maybe to please Itachi fans who always wanted him to be "good".

#4 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:29 AM

Itachi himself forgot he was a spy for Konoha :zaru: Doesn't seem like he was any help at all...

#5 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

I honestly thought Itatchi worked better as a villain. Kishi's attempts to make him good felt a bit contrived. And the fact that we don't know how exactly he helped the leaf is just proof of that :/

#6 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:50 AM

I always feel that itachi is a good person.

#7 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:54 AM

I always feel that itachi is a good person.

I don't. He's a mass-murdering kitten. He may be polite and wear a peaceful demeanor but that doesn't cover up his hypocrisy and bloody history.

#8 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

Great to hear. Because as I've been mulling over ITachi's role in Akatsuki, I swear I can't think of one supposed 'good' thing he did. In fact, just by being in Akatsuki, he would have had to continue being the mass-murdering type of guy he was when he killed his family, just now he'd be doing it for the Akatsuki. Kisame wouldn't have let him hang around too long if he wasn't a vicious, heartless killer. So he must have continued his crime spree in Akatsuki. 

What I mean is it's not like he joined Akatsuki be abstained from truly being like them. No, he would still have blood on his hands from whatever crimes he committed for them. He didn't just stop killing after he wiped out his family. 

I honestly don't believe Kishimoto planned out Itachi's whole story when he first created him. It's not like Snape's story from HP where everything falls into place at the end and makes you go "aha!". No there were too many holes with "the truth of Itachi" such as him being a loving brother when he literally ruined Sasuke's life. He was the most useless spy ever and did more harm than good. I truly believe that Kishi asspulled his story so that Sasuke could have an excuse to still be the villain..and maybe to please Itachi fans who always wanted him to be "good".

I think you're right. I don't think Kishi planned out Itachi's story. (But hell, you can look at the end of the manga to see just how good is story-planning skills are!!) Itachi's not at all like Snape. Snape was reacting to terrible situations; Itachi was actually causing them. In fact, Itachi would be more like Voldemort (but again, without the good explanation as to why he does what he does!). And yeah, Sasuke went out of his way to attack and mentally torture Sasuke. He showed him no secret compassion or hidden moments of mercy.  Itachi was ruthless. It still just feels like that when Kishimoto decided to continue the story with Tobi, he waved a magic 'plot twist' wand, and suddenly Itachi was good. With no explanation at all. 

I honestly thought Itatchi worked better as a villain. Kishi's attempts to make him good felt a bit contrived. And the fact that we don't know how exactly he helped the leaf is just proof of that :/

I agree, I like Itachi better as a villain. But it's crazy that in one of my fanfics where I write him as a villain, readers will say Itachi's too harsh or they wished he were good like in the manga, things like that. And I have to remind them that I'm actually writing Itachi just like he was portrayed in the manga. Cruel and manipulative. But because Kishimoto said he was good, people look at him like he's a saint or martyr. But I don't think Itachi is ever actually shown to be good. Not once. At least, not while he was alive.

I don't. He's a mass-murdering asshole. He may be polite and wear a peaceful demeanor but that doesn't cover up his hypocrisy and bloody history.

This is so true. The peaceful aspect came about only after his death. He may have given Naruto his jutsu, but at the time the motives for doing so were unclear. Itachi had tried to kill Tobi doing the same thing with Itachi (implanting a jutsu that would go off at the appropriate time), so there was no reason to believe that Itachi wouldn't use the same trick on Naruto.

Come to think of it...did Naruto ever use that jutsu to save or subdue Sasuke in a moment of need? Did that whole 'crow down the throat' thing ever get resolved or show it had a big purpose, like Itachi was making it out to be? 

#9 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

This is so true. The peaceful aspect came about only after his death. He may have given Naruto his jutsu, but at the time the motives for doing so were unclear. Itachi had tried to kill Tobi doing the same thing with Itachi (implanting a jutsu that would go off at the appropriate time), so there was no reason to believe that Itachi wouldn't use the same trick on Naruto.

Come to think of it...did Naruto ever use that jutsu to save or subdue Sasuke in a moment of need? Did that whole 'crow down the throat' thing ever get resolved or show it had a big purpose, like Itachi was making it out to be? 

The crow thing was Kotoamatsuki , The powerful genjutsu present only in Shisui eye, Itachi was planning to use Naruto as a means to genjutsu Sasuke and put him in a illusion in which  Saqsuke would be "mind controlled " by the kotoamatsuki and would have the idea of "protect konoha" implanted in his mind

but then Itachi was brought back and had to use the kotoamatsuki implanted in Naruto to free himself from Kabuto's control

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#10 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

The crow thing was Kotoamatsuki , The powerful genjutsu present only in Shisui eye, Itachi was planning to use Naruto as a means to genjutsu Sasuke and put him in a illusion in which  Saqsuke would be "mind controlled " by the kotoamatsuki and would have the idea of "protect konoha" implanted in his mind

but then Itachi was brought back and had to use the kotoamatsuki implanted in Naruto to free himself from Kabuto's control

That's right. I forgot about that. I remembered the jutsu being from Shisui. But not the part about freeing himself from Kabuto. (Lol, I think that's where I started to zone out in the series!!!)

#11 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

That's right. I forgot about that. I remembered the jutsu being from Shisui. But not the part about freeing himself from Kabuto. (Lol, I think that's where I started to zone out in the series!!!)

Yeah

Thats around the time where Naruto's series became a mess. 

#12 AHK

AHK

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts
  • Interests:One Piece, Tokyo Ghoul, The Breaker, Fairy Tail, BnHA, Twin Star Exorcists, Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, BnHA, Akatsuki no Yona, Noragami, Magi, Akame Ga Kill, Attack on Titan, HotD, SAO, HxH, Ao no Exorcist, NnT

LuNa, Touken, EragonxArya, MiriShep, NS, SoumaxErina, IzuOcha, RokuBeni, NaLu, ShioonxJinnie, YuxShinoa, HakYona, SaberxShirou, Yatori, MK, EreMika

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

Well, it's said that Jiraiya had a large network of spies and was able to gather information on the Akatsuki because of it. The fact that Jiraiya had such an organization wasn't necessarily kept a giant secret, so it wouldn't surprise me if Itachi knew about it. I wouldn't be surprised if, at the very least, Itachi found one of Jiraiya's spies and passed him information which then got sent back to Jiraiya, with Jiraiya operating under the assumption that the information came from his spy. But that's just speculation.

What I do know is that Itachi and Obito made a deal. If Itachi joined the Akatsuki, Obito would stay away from Konoha. If Obito were to breach that deal, Itachi would probably release all of the information he had to the leaf. So in essence, Naruto and Konoha were safe for a long time due to Itachi's mere presence in the organization.

EXL5X4B.png

"I am the One-Eyed King."

#13 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

Yeah

Thats around the time where Naruto's series became a mess. 

It's funny now, because I remember feeling like things were so scattered in the series. And I had high hopes that after Kabuto's death things would get back on track. It just felt like Kabuto's story was just intentionally dragging things out. But at the time, I didn't mind because I thought it was the lull before the big blow-out ending. Boy was I wrong. It just went downhill from there!!

#14 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

Well, it's said that Jiraiya had a large network of spies and was able to gather information on the Akatsuki because of it. The fact that Jiraiya had such an organization wasn't necessarily kept a giant secret, so it wouldn't surprise me if Itachi knew about it. I wouldn't be surprised if, at the very least, Itachi found one of Jiraiya's spies and passed him information which then got sent back to Jiraiya, with Jiraiya operating under the assumption that the information came from his spy. But that's just speculation.

What I do know is that Itachi and Obito made a deal. If Itachi joined the Akatsuki, Obito would stay away from Konoha. If Obito were to breach that deal, Itachi would probably release all of the information he had to the leaf. So in essence, Naruto and Konoha were safe for a long time due to Itachi's mere presence in the organization.

Yes, I could see the connection between Itachi and Jiraiya, through a large network of spies. I just wish it was somehow shown in the manga. Just a hint that there was more going on with Itachi than just a heinous villain. It would have justified his transformation later on.

And yes, I remember the deal with Obito and Itachi. But Itachi was the one who screwed up Sasuke, not Tobi. Itachi put him in a genjutsu then told him to find him and fight him. And Itachi was the one who came back to kidnap Naruto, just before he broke Sasuke's arm...then broke his mind. He genjutsu'd him, and when Sasuke came around, he was never the same again. 

I know he made a deal with Tobi, so Tobi didn't attack. But instead Itachi was there attacking and screwing things up. So he's still not being the peace-loving brother Kishimoto tells us he is to justify why Itachi committed genocide.

#15 AHK

AHK

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts
  • Interests:One Piece, Tokyo Ghoul, The Breaker, Fairy Tail, BnHA, Twin Star Exorcists, Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, BnHA, Akatsuki no Yona, Noragami, Magi, Akame Ga Kill, Attack on Titan, HotD, SAO, HxH, Ao no Exorcist, NnT

LuNa, Touken, EragonxArya, MiriShep, NS, SoumaxErina, IzuOcha, RokuBeni, NaLu, ShioonxJinnie, YuxShinoa, HakYona, SaberxShirou, Yatori, MK, EreMika

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

Yes, I could see the connection between Itachi and Jiraiya, through a large network of spies. I just wish it was somehow shown in the manga. Just a hint that there was more going on with Itachi than just a heinous villain. It would have justified his transformation later on.

And yes, I remember the deal with Obito and Itachi. But Itachi was the one who screwed up Sasuke, not Tobi. Itachi put him in a genjutsu then told him to find him and fight him. And Itachi was the one who came back to kidnap Naruto, just before he broke Sasuke's arm...then broke his mind. He genjutsu'd him, and when Sasuke came around, he was never the same again. 

I know he made a deal with Tobi, so Tobi didn't attack. But instead Itachi was there attacking and screwing things up. So he's still not being the peace-loving brother Kishimoto tells us he is to justify why Itachi committed genocide.

The only reason Itachi even showed up in the leaf after Hiruzens death was to send a statement to Danzo and the elders. You could also infer that he was there to warn Kakashi about the Akatsuki's motives, as he told Kakashi they were there for "the fourths legacy", basically alerting him they were after Naruto. Itachi could have killed Kakashi then and there but didn't, which suggests to me that he was there trying to warn him.

He might have went after Naruto to make it look nice for the Akatsuki, as he really didn't try all that hard to capture Naruto in the first place. Plus, he knew Jiraiya was with him, so if he had returned to the Akatsuki empty handed, there wouldn't have been suspicion on him due to Jiraiya's presence. Kisame was there and would have been able to corroborate his story. Sasuke went there by his own doing, Itachi never really planned for that.

You're right though, I wish that it was elaborated on in the manga. Looking back, Kishi's storytelling is full of holes. It's pretty bad in hindsight lol

EXL5X4B.png

#16 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

It's funny now, because I remember feeling like things were so scattered in the series. And I had high hopes that after Kabuto's death things would get back on track. It just felt like Kabuto's story was just intentionally dragging things out. But at the time, I didn't mind because I thought it was the lull before the big blow-out ending. Boy was I wrong. It just went downhill from there!!

I though Kabuto had the potential to be a bigger better villain than wha he turned out to be. 

In the end he was just fodder for the glorious return of the Uchiha Bros.

Edited by Nar123, 05 February 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#17 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

IDGAF what the manga and Naruto fandom thinks; Itachi was not a saint and it disgusts me how everyone treats him like one.

#18 AHK

AHK

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

IDGAF what the manga and Naruto fandom thinks; Itachi was not a saint and it disgusts me how everyone treats him like one.

Agreed. I don't think Itachi is a saint at all. I view him as someone who was dealt a really kitten hand, and tried to do the best he could with what little breathing room he had. The reason he became one of my favs was because he was able to admit he was a failure.

EXL5X4B.png

#19 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

This is why I love villain Itachi - the twisted, sadistic, and genious baddie we were introduced to!

And I don't like the sacrificial lamb Itachi - the one who was asspulled out for who.knows.why., with sins excused instead of explained.

I think Kishi struggles with writing grey characters, and the ItaSasu bond had great potential as this unhealthy and damaged, yet passionate and unbreakable brotherhood. Which is what it was, it's just too obvious we weren't supposed to think of it that way.

ナルサク

#20 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

I though Kabuto had the potential to be a bigger better villain than wha he turned out to be. 
In the end he was just fodder for the glorious return of the Uchiha Bros.

The one who should fight kabuto is naruto.
Instead we got what I called uchiha chit chat, because it just a talk between brother. And izanami is pretty much bad plot device.
Well what do you expect if the author himself doesn't know what to do with kabuto.

Itachi is no saint. He's Gary Sue.
I agree with ahk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users