Thundercats!

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#101 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (GoNeKr@zY @ Jun 7 2012, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there was a 2nd season ? i was under the assumption that it only got 1 26 episode season.

Technically yes, but you may as well separate it into 'seasons' because the 'season finale' was episode 13 Between Brothers (where all hell broke loose in the fandoms), then there was a 4-month break and then the 'new' season picked up again with episode 14 New Alliances. And things quickly went downhill from there character and plot-wise.

#102 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Taking how much of an train wreck this series became, I'm glad it was canceled. This is an kick in the groin that the writers deserved.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#103 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ Jun 7 2012, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taking how much of an train wreck this series became, I'm glad it was canceled. This is an kick in the groin that the writers deserved.

This. sleep.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#104 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

It started out great...now it looks as if it's met its grave. Oh well...

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#105 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ Jun 7 2012, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just disappointed that it had to end this way. This series could have been amazing. And what is the worst is that the writers knew all about the fan-feedback and how dissatisfied people were with how everything was being handled, and the writers response to it all..."we don't really care because this is our series, our writing, our plot, and this is how we are going to do things, so deal with it."

Well news flash jerks, this was our/the fans/viewers series long before it was ever yours. The majority of the viewing audience were people who grew up with the original series, and when you decide to ignore that viewer/fanbase and do whatever the hell you wanted with the plot and characters, you get the train wreck of a series ThunderCats 2011 became. The viewers are your bread and butter. Piss them off and you lose your series, because they'll stop watching...and that's exactly what happened here. I know that I stopped watching a few weeks ago, because I just could not stomache the crap they kept trying to feed us week after week after week anymore dry.gif

#106 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

I had heard there were 52 planned episodes. Supposedly it comes from Dan Norton.

Also, I'm not finding anything official about this series being cancelled, only rumors discussed on various forums.
"What use is a word with but one meaning?"

#107 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (Abel Nightroad @ Jun 9 2012, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had heard there were 52 planned episodes. Supposedly it comes from Dan Norton.

Also, I'm not finding anything official about this series being cancelled, only rumors discussed on various forums.

http://www.toplessro...ent_back_to.php
thats a list of all the shows cartoon network renewed. thundercats is not on it :/
also. the toy line was cancelled. amazon and various others list those products
as discontinued. the very fact that we're near the end of the season and still no renewal
pretty much means the show is done. the merchandise being cancelled doesn't bode well either.

#108 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (GoNeKr@zY @ Jun 10 2012, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.toplessro...ent_back_to.php
thats a list of all the shows cartoon network renewed. thundercats is not on it :/
also. the toy line was cancelled. amazon and various others list those products
as discontinued. the very fact that we're near the end of the season and still no renewal
pretty much means the show is done. the merchandise being cancelled doesn't bode well either.

How reliable is that source? I've heard of similar lists, yet they are countered by some disagreeing with how accurate they are.

No offense, but I don't consider blog articles as official sources. For example, one series that was supposedly (checking sources for my sources, lol) confirmed as continuing isn't on that list...'Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated'.

Also, there are plenty of blog articles that imply it will be continued.

For example: http://www.wired.com...10/thundercats/

^States 52 episodes.

If you ask me, there is just too much on both sides in terms of opinion (again, I've not seen anything that can be confirmed as official fact, but just call me skeptical, lol) on it being cancelled and for it being continued. Personally, I vote for the latter.

In any case, who knows, that list you linked to might just be for a single airing season and not all the seasons. I know, for example, some series are spring season, some are fall season, some are summer season, and some are winter season. For example, Burn Notice always seems to air during the summer season for TV series.

No offense intended, not trying to be a troll. Just stating my opinion(s) as neutrally as I can.

EDIT: Took another look at that list you linked to. Don't see Generator Rex, which is supposed to also have more episodes coming, listed anywhere either.

EDIT #2: Also, I did some checking. Apparently, as I've been reading, there are some sources that are frowned upon due to inaccuracy. Topless Robot, the link you cited, is one of those....something about being a place, and I'm making a direct quote here, 'for fanboy nerdrages'...well, paraphrased a little to cut out all the non-forum appropriate stuff.

Edited by Abel Nightroad, 10 June 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#109 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

The ratings are abysmal, and there are petitions online to SAVE ThunderCats and renew it for a new season, by the more misguided of folks who still actually like watching the dribble that the series has become.

It's cancelled.

#110 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

No offense, SB, but I'll wait until doing a search on Google brings up more than just threads like this one on forums as its top results. Until then, from all of what I can gather, it just seems like a rumor to me.

As for the ratings bit, please cite your source. How do you know what the ratings are? I don't know of any websites that list them, but I don't usually go looking for such sites, lol.

#111 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

The episode today was good, though why the hell does everyone Lion-o love go against him in so many ways. But I liked it when Wilykit went up to him in the end and cheered him up. I dont care how young she is I ship them together. : /

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#112 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

If you ask me, people these days are spoiled by shows that are non-stop action with nothing else. In my honest opinion, that's boring. It is also one reason I like the new Thundercats as it actually tries to develop more than just the characters' combat skills, but also their personalities evolve over time as well as do their relationships. As such, it is a series, a rare one, where the writers are, to me at least, making the characters seem like real people I would actually grow attached to and care about what happens to them.

#113 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Abel Nightroad @ Jun 18 2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you ask me, people these days are spoiled by shows that are non-stop action with nothing else. In my honest opinion, that's boring. It is also one reason I like the new Thundercats as it actually tries to develop more than just the characters' combat skills, but also their personalities evolve over time as well as do their relationships. As such, it is a series, a rare one, where the writers are, to me at least, making the characters seem like real people I would actually grow attached to and care about what happens to them.

Considering most of the viewing audience are people in their mid-20s to mid-30s, who are people who have grown up watching quality animation,which involves good plot, good writing, and not all 'non-stop action', that's a pretty broad brush you are painting 'people these days with' huh.gif

Have you even watched all the episodes? Because everything after episode 13 went way down hill writing, plot, and character-wise.

#114 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 18 2012, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering most of the viewing audience are people in there mid-20s to mid-30s, who are people who have grown up watching quality animation,which involves good plot, good writing, and not all 'non-stop action', that's a pretty broad brush you are painting 'people these days with' huh.gif

Have you even watched all the episodes? Because everything after episode 13 went way down hill writing, plot, and character-wise.

To be honest I am surprised it lasted this long. Although I did found Snarf adorable, I was expecting it to be cancelled any time soon after episode 11.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#115 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 18 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering most of the viewing audience are people in there mid-20s to mid-30s, who are people who have grown up watching quality animation,which involves good plot, good writing, and not all 'non-stop action', that's a pretty broad brush you are painting 'people these days with' huh.gif

i kinda agree...the first episode was cool....but it seemed all about lion-o this and lion-o that.

no one else really gets that much development.....

it got a little boring for me.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#116 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

I agree it still has its up and downs but I still like it and all. : /

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#117 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

I missed the elephant village episodes...that's it. I've watched each one the day it airs.

And I remember my share of animation growing up.....if you can call the butchery censors did good. Sure, things like Voltron, Ninja Turtles, Inspector Gadget, and a few others were good, but so many animated series I watched growing up seriously went through the chop fest, sadly.

I would list the number of animated series I've watched and liked, butchered or not, but that would be going off topic. If need be, we can make a new thread to do that in.

As for Thundercats, I disagree. It hasn't been all solely on Lion-O. There are plenty focused on the other characters. For example, the episodes focused on Kit and Kat (and Snarf) in Dog City or the one about their background on the farm and how they ended up in Thundera. There's also the one that explores (though it is one of the ones I missed) that adds layers to Cheetara and Tigra.

From what I've seen, of course Lion-O has a lot of growth and maturing to do to fill his role as the next king of the Cats. Still, ignoring the 80's cartoon and treating the new series as a seperate entity is key. In this version, the characters are more '3D' in how they are treated. In the 80s, the cartoons reflected the culture. For those of us who grew up in that era, we can be stubborn in comparing the stuff we grew up with today's incarnations and remakes. True, not all remakes are good, nor do all recapture the innocent times we spent as kids watching the originals. In the 80s, things like romance between characters on TV was still rarely done, if at all, due to the ever present eyes of the censors. As such, characters tended to be flat and two-dimensional in how they were portrayed. However, today, those censors don't have as much clout anymore, so we are treated with actual character development, emotional characters, interpersonal relationships, et cetera. For example, in the original Lost In Space, did you know the actors who played the parents were even forbidden to even hold hands on-screen? That's how far censors controlled TV in the old days.

I, for one, have no desire to have a return to the cheesiness of early animation, no offense to the fans of the shows I would list as such. True, as kids, growing up, when we watched those shows, we had no care about such things. Today, however, there are plenty of things I've gone back and tried rewatching and thought "I actually liked this as a kid?". Suffice it to say, as we grow up, many things change, but plenty stay the same.

Sorry for going on this bit of a rant. No offense to anyone was intended by anything I've said. I just started typing and it just kept flowing and flowing until I got it all out.

#118 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Abel Nightroad @ Jun 18 2012, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IFrom what I've seen, of course Lion-O has a lot of growth and maturing to do to fill his role as the next king of the Cats. Still, ignoring the 80's cartoon and treating the new series as a seperate entity is key. In this version, the characters are more '3D' in how they are treated. In the 80s, the cartoons reflected the culture. For those of us who grew up in that era, we can be stubborn in comparing the stuff we grew up with today's incarnations and remakes. True, not all remakes are good, nor do all recapture the innocent times we spent as kids watching the originals. In the 80s, things like romance between characters on TV was still rarely done, if at all, due to the ever present eyes of the censors. As such, characters tended to be flat and two-dimensional in how they were portrayed. However, today, those censors don't have as much clout anymore, so we are treated with actual character development, emotional characters, interpersonal relationships, et cetera. For example, in the original Lost In Space, did you know the actors who played the parents were even forbidden to even hold hands on-screen? That's how far censors controlled TV in the old days.

I, for one, have no desire to have a return to the cheesiness of early animation, no offense to the fans of the shows I would list as such. True, as kids, growing up, when we watched those shows, we had no care about such things. Today, however, there are plenty of things I've gone back and tried rewatching and thought "I actually liked this as a kid?". Suffice it to say, as we grow up, many things change, but plenty stay the same.

And again you are completely generalizing. We as the viewing audience are not stupid, and while I'm not saying that is what you are calling us because you haven't, you are implying that we can't seem to differentiate between a cheesy, fun 1980s cartoon and a more sophisticated 2011 series. I enjoyed the series highly before the mid-season break. After the show came back after the 4-month break it was like the writers for the first half were replaced with robotic, talentless hacks.

But this is my opinion, (plus the opinion of a wide variety of viewers as well), so we'll just agree to disagree on the continued quality of this series and let it be.

#119 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Yes, SB, agreeing to disagree seems to be the best option at this point.

And I apologize if anything I wrote came across as insulting in anyway. None of it was intended to do so at all.

Edited by Abel Nightroad, 22 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#120 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Generally speaking, I can honestly say I do not think 2011 cartoons are more or less sophisticated than 80's cartoons. Nor I think the eighties characters are more flatter and/or more two-dimensional than characters of current cartoons.

All of them are archetypes after all.

I find it's wrong using blanket statements about shows made in different ages instead of looking over each instance separately. Some cartoons back then were better than many shows made nowadays. And some cartoons made nowadays are better than many cartoons made back then.

However, today, those censors don't have as much clout anymore, so we are treated with actual character development, emotional characters, interpersonal relationships, et cetera.

All of those things were present in cartoons and anime (mainly anime) in the eighties. Being unable showing some people holding hands (for using your own example) and being unable developing a character or showing emotional scenes are different things. And, as far as I am concerned, censorship may encourage creativity for forcing creators to express what they mean in more clever, subtler ways instead of restorting to sheer, easy shock value. But I digress.

I, for one, have no desire to have a return to the cheesiness of early animation, no offense to the fans of the shows I would list as such.

That is your opinion and it is perfectly valid and legitimate. However, I, for one, would have no troubles returning to the cheesiness of older animation (I do not understand what you do mean with "early animation". The twenties or thirties is what I would call early animation, not the eighties).

And, honestly... Much is told about eighties cartoons being cheesy, but many of them enjoyed a success and popularity most of their remakes have been unable to reproduce. So maybe they not only did something right but they did it better than their allegedly more sophisticated sucessors. For example, He-Man got a sequel in the nineties (that I thought it was horrible) and a remake in the 00's (that I thought was way better). Neither of them was so succesful like the old show. And the old He-Man show was VERY cheesy.

Now, the last Ninja Turtles show was very superior to the first cartoon AND it was very sucessful, so it had to be able to capture what the original Ninja Turtles did right, and improved on it. Of course, it is heavily based on the original 80's comi-books, what actually are older than the original cartoon...

All of above are my personal views, of course.

And again you are completely generalizing. We as the viewing audience are not stupid, and while I'm not saying that is what you are calling us because you haven't, you are implying that we can't seem to differentiate between a cheesy, fun 1980s cartoon and a more sophisticated 2011 series. I enjoyed the series highly before the mid-season break. After the show came back after the 4-month break it was like the writers for the first half were replaced with robotic, talentless hacks.

Yes, I do not get the "You think the newer cartoon is bad because nostalgia is making you believing the eighties show was good despite of it was not" argument (or at least that is what I think Abel was trying to tell. I apologise if I have misunderstood him). Anyone has read this thread can see you and other people are judging the new series basing on its actual quality. You said the new Thundercats was better than the eighties cartoon because you thought it was genuinely better, but when you felt the quality dropped sharply you told the newer show had become crappy and the old show was better. So it is obvious you are judging both shows on their own merits, and nostalgia is not clouding your judgement at all.

Personally I was excited the first time I heard about the show but I had not got the chance to watch it yet. If it has become a trainwreck and it has been canceled, it is a pity. Especially because my nephew had started to watch it recently, and it was introducing him to the Thundercat universe...

Oh, well.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users