Close
Photo

What was the point of the Fake Confession?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#1 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'll just repeat my post in another thread

Even though we know Kishi is going to make this canon, there's still some stuff to go through before it reaches that point, people are saying they could cover all this stuff in the end but I still think some of it needs to be cleared up now, its not really as simple as boy confesses loves and girl returns love.

Like I said Naruto has to confess his feelings for Sakura who despite listing all the reasons why she should love him (during the Fake Confession) doesn't and only sees him as a friend and comrade similar to how Naruto feels towards Hinata. Even though Yamato said over 300 chapters ago that Sakura loves Naruto, i'm starting to see less and less of what he's talking about. Not only does Sakura have to return those feelings but she also has to convince him that she's over Sasuke, something Naruto simply didn't believe last time because he appears to be under the impression that once your in love with someone that's it there's no going back otherwise you're just "lying to yourself"

This is why I hate the Fake Confession its a cluttered mess and pretty anti NS even after all that happened afterwards (Naruto saving Sakura and giving her hope again) she doesn't even consider him a love interest (the love fodder scene proves that) atleast she doesn't think she does according to the databooks.

The Fake Confession is confusing as hell because it goes from pro NS (sakura's confession) to anti NS and pro SS (Sakura was lying and loves Sasuke so much she can't bring herself to kill him) and then just fizzles out. Then the love fodder scene which is anti SS and yet not pro NS (it was more or less just her losing the hope Naruto gave her earlier)

I ahve no idea what to think of this whole mess its too confusing.   :argh:

Another reason why I sort of want hints that Sakura's developing feelings for Naruto right now, because at this point if listing all the reasons why she should like him (fake confession) and him being at death's door doesn't get her to realize or atleast contemplate her feelings for him then I don't care what Yamato says there's really nothing else Naruto can do at this point to get her like him. 

eh10ut.jpg

#2 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

- Defining it as a 'fake confession' is very unfortunate. It was not real neither fake. It was so complex that you can not label everything she said under one word.
- While I understand why you would think it's anti-NS, nothing makes it pro SS.

Edited by sushi., 07 March 2014 - 06:08 PM.

ナルサク

#3 redragon88

redragon88

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

The point, whether the confession is fake or real or anything in between, was to show that Sakura puts Naruto's safety and happiness above all else. To show how important Naruto has become in her life.

Naruto is so valuable to Sakura that she puts her feelings aside for his sake. What confuses people is what exactly is defined as her "feelings". Certain people see Sakura's feelings as "her undying love for Sasuke and her desire for him to love her back", this has become less so as she grew up and developed. Her feelings now are more in the line of "still liking the old Sasuke, but having new feelings for Naruto that she still doesn't understand".

Despite Sakura still being unsure about her feelings and about what said feelings will cause her to ultimately want, she decides that it's best to just put them aside since protecting Naruto is what matters the most to her.

For Sakura, if Naruto wasn't safe then her feelings and what they'll make her want don't have any meaning at all. He's that important to her.

#4 xxRomanceGirlxx

xxRomanceGirlxx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Debating, Anime/Manga (Naruto, Inuyasha, DBZ, Hetalia etc.), TV shows, Shipping
    Dislikes: Bashing, Double standards, Hypocrisy, NaruHina, SasuSaku, SasuKarin
    OTPs: NaruSaku (Naruto), Bangel (BtVS), InuKag (Inuyasha), LeafpoolxCrowfeather (Warriors), Percabeth (PJS), Kataang (AtLA)

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

Sakura's confession had a lot of purposes. You could say it was meant to progress Sakura's development by having her rather kill Sasuke than endanger Naruto's life going after him. It demonstrated she's growing up more and at least attempting to detach herself from Sasuke romantically. She didn't go about it the right way, but the sentiment's there. Sakura was thinking all about Naruto, whether she's in love with him or not. I really hate the argument that antis love to say that Sakura went there thinking this: "I love Sasuke-kun so much, I'll never stop loving him, Naruto's just a friend blah blah blah." Or when they say Sakura was making a pity pass, knowing she didn't love Naruto and just forcing something out of pity (That's so OOC of her). IMO, those type of fans aren't looking deeper which is something Sakura's confession requires if you're ever going to get it at least partially.

Other purposes are that it was meant as a plot device for Naruto to wake up and realize Team 7 will never be completely the same as while simultaneously bringing forth the romantic subplot again. It re-addressed Sakura's feelings for Sasuke and explained she does still love him, BUT at the same time it shows Sakura is slowly acknowledging her complicated relationship with Naruto and is more open to being with him at some point. However, Kishi's not making this easy. He wanted to remind the audience that while NaruSaku has developed significantly, he's saying "It's not there yet. We still have a few more trials to go." NaruSaku still has conflict that exists with NaruSakuSasu love triangle and he doesn't want us to forget that. It was an obvious monkey wrench, but it was meant to stir things up and make things interesting, even if it successfully mind-screwed the entire Naruto fandom in the process.

(No one can say with 100% certainty that they aren't even a little bit confused by this, whether anti or not)

That's why I don't understand when people argue that Sakura's confession will never be brought up again. It has to. This isn't Hinata's confession and Sai's explanation doesn't count because he's speaking for Sakura. Sakura hasn't said what she was truly thinking in that scene and we need something that removes any ambiguity from such an important moment. It's also nice to remember that Sakura doesn't even know Sai already explained this to Naruto, so of course she's going to eventually bring it up to clear up some things between them. I also don't see Naruto ever accepting Sakura saying she loves him again without bringing up the confession and demanding to know if she really feels that way. NaruSaku won't become canon until Sakura's confession is re-addressed and unambiguous. That I'm certain of.

"I absolutely can't let you die! I can't! I won't let you die ... your stupid dream ... now it's ... it's right in front of us!!"                                                                             ----Sakura Haruno                                                                              

#5 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

I used to think that the confession was fake, but when I reread the chapter again and again (and as the manga progresses), now I think that it is "somewhere in between".like reddragon88 put it nicely.

someone at tumblr brought up a nice analysis:
http://tengoku-chiky...uras-confession

I tend to agree with this person, that Sakura's expression in the confession was something new and we've ever seen before. She was blushing, yet she looked away, implying that she is remembering (based on her gesture) or she's hiding something. If she was purely lying, she wouldn't be that hurt when Naruto accused her.

The whole point was her sacrifice for Naruto's sake. I merely see the act as a plot baseline to be concluded at later point in the manga...

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"What? What are you saying?"

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#6 itsmesakura

itsmesakura

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga physics, biology, maths, and probably every lesson at school (coz I love to study!), celebrities, trivia/quizzes, adventure, writing diaries/journals, visiting the orphan, going out with my friends, and everything that smells like school, and lesson, and challenging

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

The confession was I think about how Sakura deeply care for Naruto but doesn't realizes that

Many people pointed out Sakura wasn't trying to protect Naruto, but she actually was... But she organize the plan with impulse and doesn't make any planning and back up plan if Naruto rejected her confession (like what Sai said)

Why can I call this as Sakura protecting Naruto's feeling? Because first of all, along the way, like what Sai said, Sakura kept on thinking about Naruto's feelings...I bet along the way Sakura was organizing plans, which explain Kiba and other rookies reaction, startled and confused.... And then, at the end, Naruto rejected Sakura's feelings, or stuff like that... And that got Sakura moving to the impulse back up plan, kill Sasuke

From this I assume Sakura was going to kill Sasuke anyway... She bet Naruto will go back to Konoha, and so she can kill Sasuke... Sakura actually in this scene shows hidden love emotion... It's crazy, I know, but Sakura is willing to bear Naruto's hatred, and she even wanted to finish his past lover by herself... She thought about Naruto's emotion before meeting Naruto, and she cry because of it... If she doesn't care about Naruto she won't cry at all... And if she doesn't care she won't risk her own life and kill Sasuke... Maybe by doing that it will make Naruto suffer much more worst, but Kakashi pointed out Sakura was clever, and she knows situation very well... Before things get heavy and Naruto get weight by the news of Raikage killing Sasuke Sakura wanted to make things done.. She felt like she causes trouble for Naruto

And Naruto also show feelings for Sakura as well, in mg opinion... Sai stated that Sakura will bear Naruto's hatred to him, but Naruto was startled at it.. Meaning he can't hate her... And if you look at Naruto he seems devastated by the confession scene.... And when added with Sasuke's condition Naruto got stressed and depressed that he faint , or in a less dramatical word, pass out

If you want something JUST GO FOR IT

#7 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

One of the interviewers: “Sakura had always been worried about Naruto, but her actions towards Naruto seem to have a different feel from before, she seems very anxious about Naruto…How does she feel about Sasuke-kun?”

Kishimoto: “As for Sakura… Sasuke… what about Sasuke? Naruto is close and she worries about Naruto as well, but as expected, she [loves or loved] Sasuke.

Interviewer: "Because of this, she acted quite haughty towards that guy. She used Naruto’s love for her and told him she loved him."

Kishimoto: "On the contrary…. I felt like depicting an honest girl, with a surprisingly stubborn impression.

And Kishimoto also comments:

"So... she became such a character, but... well... from here on, maybe I should draw her showing a bit more spirit.
I figured I had placed her in a heroin-like situation
But from the readers I was told harshly that she wasn't heroin-ish at all
Perhaps I should show depict her a bit more like a heroin
Because you say 'Hinata Hinata,' I say 'She's not Hinata'"

Every time someone says Sakura's confession was fake or that she lied to Naruto or used him, I bring up this interview. This interview where they straight up ask Kishimoto and he says that she was being an "honest, but stubborn girl." He even laments that he was told by the fans that wasn't what they thought and he thought he depicted her true. If Kishimoto said she was being honest, then the confession was not fake. There really should be no more arguing at this point in time.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 07 March 2014 - 09:24 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#8 narusaku256

narusaku256

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,975 posts
  • Interests:Everything :D

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

The analysis of the confession on that page, IMO is partly correct n partly flawed. The flawed part rests where Yamato's arguments are shown. Even if we consider the confession to be true, dosen't it sound like a silly move to go to another country for the reason of confessing her feelings? The situation was just not right for this and Sakura being smart knew about this. Clearly her motto was something other than the confession. I am not saying that the confession is false but I am trying to say that her going to Land of Iron just to confess her feelings is not right. This confession is not as easy as its been shown, there is something more to it and I expect it will be addressed in the upcoming chapters(not literally the next few chapters, but in the future chapters)

tumblr_nokgzxLJ4A1ts94lmo1_500.gif

#9 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Interviewer: "Because of this, she acted quite haughty towards that guy. She used Naruto’s love for her and told him she loved him."

Kishimoto: "On the contrary…. I felt like depicting an honest girl, with a surprisingly stubborn impression.

I was going to post right that. Thank you for having my back.

Anyway, two points: one, Naruto did not accuse her from lying to him when she said she loved him. He accused him from DECEIVING HERSELF when she said she was over Sasuke. And two, Kishimoto told she was being honest.

The CREATOR of the character -who knows EXACTLY what she does/does not think/feel- told she was being honest. THEREFORE, she WAS. End of the matter.

You can complain Kishimoto did not make it clear enough for you, and argue about his storytelling's skills... but that is irrelevant at this matter. The creator's opinion is the only relevant in the matter of his characters' feelings, and he has made his opinion clear.

I do not know why fandom has such a hard work understanding this. I guess it is the nature of the beast: we can not help to argue things.

Regarding about being unable to kill Sasuke... Did she was unable to kill him, or she hesitated and Sasuke grappled her as she doubted? Anyway, inability to kill a person does not mean you are in love with him/her. Especially if that person was dear to you in the past. And she having lingering feelings about Sasuke does not mean she did not love Naruto. One thing does not rule the other out. Spider-Man did not get over Gwen Stacy, but he fell in for Mary Jane all the same.

She has feelings towards Sasuke yet? Maybe. but whatever she still feels towards him, she decided she loved Naruto more and she chose him. Later chapters have shown she feels ashamed of having got a crush on him, and she no longer trusts him.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#10 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Kishimoto said "I'd figured I put her in a heroine-like situation"

Based on that, I believed it is ironically, a reversed version of the 'Promise of a lifetime' as performed by the hero Naruto. This is a set-up for her heroine status, to show she is willing to take on the hero's burden, and to kill a loved one because it is her duty as a Konoha ninja, so I guess that's the 'heroine' part that Kishimoto was talking about, but he failed in giving her having no real action.. so Kishimoto was surprised at the backlash he got from this :sweat:

The confusing part is..

I also believe Kishimoto was talking through Sai's mouth.. Sai was acting as plot device in this incident, so his words confuse me the most. 

1)"Sai" tells Sakura, that Naruto loves her, which is true. 
2)"Sai" reprimands Sakura on letting Naruto shoulder the burden alone, that she added to his suffering like Sasuke does because of the Promise. :headscratch: 
3)After the confession "Sai" says Sakura came to lessen Naruto's burden, confessing her love to Naruto because she was thinking about Naruto's feelings, 
4)"Sai" also says, that Sakura didn't come to confess, but as she knew Naruto will never give up on Sasuke... She couldn't tell him the truth of nuke-nin-Sasuke and the village's decision...  :headscratch:
5)"Sai" says Sakura is going to kill Sasuke, because she loves him, to see him from falling deeper.. 

Edited by Hanabi, 07 March 2014 - 03:10 PM.

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#11 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

One of the interviewers: “Sakura had always been worried about Naruto, but her actions towards Naruto seem to have a different feel from before, she seems very anxious about Naruto…How does she feel about Sasuke-kun?”

Kishimoto: “As for Sakura… Sasuke… what about Sasuke? Naruto is close and she worries about Naruto as well, but as expected, she [loves or loved] Sasuke.

Interviewer: "Because of this, she acted quite haughty towards that guy. She used Naruto’s love for her and told him she loved him."

And Kishimoto also comments:

"So... she became such a character, but... well... from here on, maybe I should draw her showing a bit more spirit.
I figured I had placed her in a heroin-like situation
But from the readers I was told harshly that she wasn't heroin-ish at all
Perhaps I should show depict her a bit more like a heroin
Because you say 'Hinata Hinata,' I say 'She's not Hinata'"

Every time someone says Sakura's confession was fake or that she lied to Naruto or used him, I bring up this interview. This interview where they straight up ask Kishimoto and he says that she was being an "honest, but stubborn girl." He even laments that he was told by the fans that wasn't what they thought and he thought he depicted her true. If Kishimoto said she was being honest, then the confession was not fake. There really should be no more arguing at this point in time.

Is that a real interview?

if Kishi said she was being honest about saying she loved Naruto that still begs the question of the love fodder scene.

eh10ut.jpg

#12 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

if Kishi said she was being honest about saying she loved Naruto that still begs the question of the love fodder scene.

You know, before I ever got involved in fandom, I never even knew there was so much controversy over 540. I thought it was obvious what it meant, but I later discovered I was very wrong on that.

1627-35209610-1.jpg

The fodder nin tells her that whoever she likes must be a great person, and then Sasuke appears in her mind, surrounded by dark flames. What this says, to me, is that Sakura is acknowledging that Sasuke is not a good person. Not that she's still in love with him. Her expression is sad, and she just looks defeated.

We don't know who she was actually thinking about when she said, "There's someone I--". Maybe it was Naruto, for all we know. Or maybe she was just looking for any reason to nicely reject this guy she doesn't know who comes up to her and says he "can't get her off his mind", lol.

Remember, the encounter with Sasuke, where he did not hesitate to try to kill her when she got in his way, would not have happened all that long ago in manga time. It's been years for readers but only, what, weeks for Sakura? It's not a lot of time to come to terms with the reality of who Sasuke has become and who she believed him to be. Her childhood image of Sasuke has been shattered, and even now with him on their side, at least temporarily, she does not trust him. Because now she understands, in a way that even Naruto has not been willing to accept, who Sasuke really is.

That's what 540 says to me, especially in light of recent events, like Sakura's fake smile. Hopefully it answered your concerns at least a little.

#13 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

- Defining it as a 'fake confession' is very unfortunate. It was not real neither fake. It was so complex that you can not label everything she said under one word.

I think it's a mistake, there's no midterm when it comes to being honest or lying, you cant say it's complex(which for me it's not complex) just to force the benefit of doubt about what she said there, you cant pick next chapters to prove what she said might be true or fake even if Sakura ends up with Naruto in the end it wont change that the confession was a lie because it was.
She loved Sasuke and her motivation and the reason she did that confession was explained all the times.
She wasnt doing the confession because she wanted to be with Naruto but because she wanted to keep him out of danger, it's explained thoughout the series that her role is to support Naruto and she wants to do her best for it.
She decided to do the confession for Naruto's sake not hers that's make her confession fake, because it wanst out of romantic love but rather to help her friend.

The fodder nin tells her that whoever she likes must be a great person, and then Sasuke appears in her mind, surrounded by dark flames. What this says, to me, is that Sakura is acknowledging that Sasuke is not a good person. Not that she's still in love with him. Her expression is sad, and she just looks defeated.

Sorry but how did you took that conclusion?
I think the fodder ninja was clear when he said about "whoever the person you like he must be a great guy"
It wasnt ambiguous, she still loved Sasuke because his question was about the guy she likes and that guy is Sasuke the fact is that he's not a good guy is a scene where she's forced once again to evaluate her feelings for Sasuke.
Which is the conclusion we are going to get soon.
The audience is still waiting for Sakura's answer about the decision she probably did after it.

I tend to agree with this person, that Sakura's expression in the confession was something new and we've ever seen before. She was blushing, yet she looked away, implying that she is remembering (based on her gesture) or she's hiding something. If she was purely lying, she wouldn't be that hurt when Naruto accused her.

The whole point was her sacrifice for Naruto's sake. I merely see the act as a plot baseline to be concluded at later point in the manga...

She was embarrassed.

Conclusion : From my part what she did on the confession was noble and cant be judged because she was lying i think that what it counted is the fact she was willing to put aside her love for Sasuke and the sacrifice she was willing to do for Naruto.
However it doesnt make her confession true, she lied like she did other times on the manga for Naruto's sake, and she's capable of doing that for her comrades aswell like she did with Sai, but that doesnt make her character horrible but rather realistic.

Edited by Dαrkrєrsŧ, 07 March 2014 - 04:56 PM.

SK-303_image007.jpg

#14 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Sorry but how did you took that conclusion?
I think the fodder ninja was clear when he said about "whoever the person you like he must be a great guy"
It wasnt ambiguous, she still loved Sasuke because his question was about the guy she likes and that guy is Sasuke the fact is that he's not a good guy is a scene where she's forced once again to evaluate her feelings for Sasuke.
Which is the conclusion we are going to get soon.
The audience is still waiting for Sakura's answer about the decision she probably did after it.

By looking at her expression. :ermm: If you only pay attention to the words being spoken, you're not getting the whole scene.

I never said the scene was ambiguous, as a matter of fact I think it was very clear. My takeaway from it is just not the same as yours. I don't think the scene says Sakura is still in love with Sasuke based on the context in Sakura's expression and the dark image of Sasuke in her mind. Saying that she still loves Sasuke based on this scene is an assumption without validation, because it neither confirms or denies her feelings. The fodder nin didn't ask a question about the guy she likes either. :confused:  He said, "If you like him he must be a great person." And only then does she think of Sasuke, who is not a great person. I don't know how it gets any clearer than that.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 07 March 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#15 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

By looking at her expression. :ermm: If you only pay attention to the words being spoken, you're not getting the whole scene.

I never said the scene was ambiguous, as a matter of fact [i]I think it was very clear.[/it] My takeaway from it is just not the same as yours. I don't think the scene says Sakura is still in love with Sasuke based on the context in Sakura's expression and the dark image of Sasuke in her mind. Saying that she still loves Sasuke based on this scene is an assumption without validation, because it neither confirms or denies her feelings. The fodder nin didn't ask a question about the guy she likes either. :confused:  He said, "If you like him he must be a great person." And only then does she think of Sasuke, who is not a great person. I don't know how it gets any clearer than that.

Assumption without validation - Fodder ninja "The guy who you like must be a great guy" - Sakura thinks of Sasuke.

Subject - Sasuke.
Adjective - not a great guy.

Conclusion - She's sad because the guy she likes is not a great guy.

I'm sorry but i'll end up with agree to disagree, i'm not against your views or whatesover it's just that for me it's impossible to come up with this conclusion on that scene.
The only thing that i picked up on this chapter, was Hinata gaining resolve thinking about Naruto and then later we got a shift towards this scene on which Kishi showed how Sakura is sad because of Sasuke.
If there's any conclusion on the moment is that i think despite Sakura loving Sasuke she knows that he's not worth it.

Edited by Dαrkrєrsŧ, 07 March 2014 - 08:18 PM.

SK-303_image007.jpg

#16 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Assumption without validation - Fodder ninja "The guy who you like must be a great guy" - Sakura thinks of Sasuke.

Subject - Sasuke.
Adjective - not a great guy.

Conclusion - She's sad because the guy she likes is not a great guy.

I'm sorry but i'll end up with agree to disagree, i'm not against your views or whatesover it's just that for me it's impossible to come up with this conclusion on that scene.
The only thing that i picked up on this chapter, was Hinata gaining resolve thinking about Naruto and then later we got a shift towards this scene on which Kishi showed how Sakura is sad because of Sasuke.
If there's any conclusion on the moment is that i think despite Sakura loving Sasuke she knows that he's not worth it.

I think you've misunderstood me. I only meant that the scene is not a reconfirmation of Sakura's feelings for Sasuke, not that she no longer has any feelings for him at all. But that may be my fault for not making myself clearer and perhaps I misunderstood you too.

#17 JG111580

JG111580

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

My comments on this usually get so long that I lose my point, so I'll try breaking it down into pieces.

1. Sakura knew that Naruto really truly cared about her, but Sai made her realize that it goes far deeper than that.

2. Sakura blames herself for causing Naruto pain and proclaims that she will be the one to tell him about the Sauske death sentence. No one else is to speak to Naruto except her.

3. She formulates a plan while traveling to find Naruto. She wants to protect Naruto and no longer cause him any pain.

Plan A: Confess love to Naruto to try and get him to come back to the villiage and relieve him of the POAL. This is a long shot, because as the events of the conversation unfold Sakura was clearly anticipating Naruto's response. If that's the case, then why go to the trouble of confessing in the first place. She could have said a number of things to make Naruto hate her, so why go the route of confessing love? I still believe that this moment shows the actual state of Sakura's feelings at the time. Naruto had presented her with every rational argument for loving him. Sauske had presented every rational argument for not loving him. I think that this part was Sakura trying to push through and convince herself of her feelings for Naruto. However, love is not rational, and therefore her confession seemed forced. Really, all this means is that her character arc is not yet complete. It leaves room for the growth and final revelations that are still coming.

Plan B: This was initialized when Naruto refused to accept that Sakura had abandoned her feelings for Sauske (Naruto was right). The second part of her plan was to make Naruto hate her so that he wouldn't be as distraught if she suceeded in killing Sauske or if he killed her. As others have stated, this is very much like Sakura's version of the POAL. She is taking the burden on herself for the sake of Naruto's feelings. At this point, she thinks that the only way to save Sauske from the darkness is to kill him. She feels that it is her responsiblity because she had loved him.

4. Sakura is unable to go through with it, because of the memories of the old Sauske.

5. Naruto saves her anyway, as Sauske tries to kill her.

6. When Naruto and Sauske face off, she shouts out to Naruto.

7. When Sauske attacks Naruto verbally, Sakura defends him.

8. Naruto gives Sakura hope that he can suceed in redeeming Sauske and that Sauske can be redeemed.

If you look at from this perspective, all of these events turn out as net positives for the development of NaruSaku. However, Sakura's feelings have not come full circle yet. She needs to realize that the bench scene in the beginning of the story imprinted a false version of Sauske in her mind. In that moment, she felt he understood her innermost self. The problem was that it was Naruto all along. Naruto has slowly lifted this veil from her eyes throughout the manga. This is where her final development lies. I think this will only happen either just before or just after Naruto and Sauske face off for the final time. At the same time, Naruto must get it through his mind that Sakura could move on from Sauske and love him. I think that this will only happen once the redemption of Sauske is complete and she can make that choice unimpeaded. I am convinced that we won't have any more confessions, as bad things tend to follow shortly thereafter. Each step in the maturation of Sakura's feelings for Naruto has been accompanied by an action: tender smile after being rescued from Gaara, the offer to feed him after fighting the Akatsuki, the embrace after the Pain fight, the warm smile after the latest confrontation with Sauske. Naruto may tell Sakura his feelings before his fight with Sauske in case he dies, but I doubt he'll let her react to them. When NaruSaku does become canon, it will be because Sakura has become enlightened to the fact that Naruto has always been the one she loved and because she takes action (just like Kurama said Naruto always proves himself through his actions).

Darn... I wasn't going to write much this time, but 45 minutes later...

Side note:

I agree that the intent of the fodder ninja moment was intended to show Sakura's regret for caring for such a bad guy. It was not elaborated on and left open ended, so the readers could draw their own conclusions. Very much a SS red herring.

Another side note:

I read the english translation of volume 64. I read 615. I read it again. Either my emotional reaction has subsided since first reading it, or the official translation has far less romantic inuendo than the unofficial translations. Instead, it read like the close of the Hyuga story arc for the manga.

#18 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Yes, it is a real interview. 2009 Shonen Jump I believe.

As for the love fodder scene...

It could be that Sakura still holds somewhat of feelings for Sasuke, but at the same time it is more of a matter of conflict. She pictures Sasuke in the dark surrounded by fire as though her past love is burning. It can be seen as her realizing that maybe she doesn't love him and that this is her moving on. 

PLUS and I don't know why everyone keeps forgetting this...we have this.

chapter 573

Why is everyone so adamant about chapter 540 and that crap, but disregard everything she thinks and says in chapter 573? To me, 573 basically tells me that 540 is a red herring and Sakura is going to stay by Naruto til the end of time if she has to. This in spite of Sasuke and in spite of the so called "love" she has for him. It's not like she doesn't know about the upcoming battle at this point.

Why disregard 573 so much? I think it shows a lot more how she feels than chapter 540.

You also have to view this from a writer's stand point in that you have to keep up the drama until the end. You just can't think of this as straight as a story because a story is easily manipulative into what they want you to think and feel.

If the lover-nin mentioned this comment and then she thought of a positive view of Naruto in her head, the pairing war would be over. There would be no more discussion as it would prove alone that NaruSaku is canon right then and there, but because Kishimoto wants to keep it going till the end where he can wrap everything up, then he has to show a red herring to keep you reading to see what happens next. This same logic is the very reason why she doesn't view Sasuke in a positive light either because if she did, then the pairing wars would be over and SS would be canon instead.

Of course, you could also ask "Why did he even make this scene at all if it is just a red herring?" Well, other than for the sake of the drama, it could be used a set up to NS in the end. The fact that at that point she started to see the real Sasuke means she doesn't love him. She was only in love with the idea of him. This false image that is burned away to reveal an evil man behind it. It has to show Sakura changing her feelings and view the truth.

It can happen when you first fall in love with someone only to realize that in truth they are not what you expected of them.

It also interesting, if you think of it like this, that these two pairings of NH and SS would be so easy to bring together and make canon all the way back in part 1. The fact that neither pairing occurs that early and there is always "a wall there" really truly speaks to me saying that they are not meant to happen. Think about that. You know how easy making NH and SS canon would be and yet Kishimoto has done everything in the story to keep these pairings from happening. Meanwhile NS got all this development first hand, lots of emotional scenes, and they are always there. There was no walls between them. The only thing stopping it was the character themselves refusing to accept that they deserve it.

What gets my gears really grinding is when I hear Naruto fans say that whenever Sakura thinks of Sasuke whether in a good or bad light, it is romantic, but if she thinks of Naruto it is ignored all together or it is just platonic. Same for Naruto. If he thinks of Sakura in a positive light...it gets ignored or Naruto gets called stupid. Negative light: they jump on it saying how "smart" Naruto is for not falling for it....Yet, at times, other characters tell Naruto "You don't understand a woman's heart at all." We also have moments where is Naruto says "I love Sakura" or something to confirm his feelings for her...."Oh Naruto is so stupid and doesn't know what he is talking about." However, Naruto mentions Hinata's name even once....."OMG, THEY ARE SO GETTING TOGETHER."

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#19 xxRomanceGirlxx

xxRomanceGirlxx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Debating, Anime/Manga (Naruto, Inuyasha, DBZ, Hetalia etc.), TV shows, Shipping
    Dislikes: Bashing, Double standards, Hypocrisy, NaruHina, SasuSaku, SasuKarin
    OTPs: NaruSaku (Naruto), Bangel (BtVS), InuKag (Inuyasha), LeafpoolxCrowfeather (Warriors), Percabeth (PJS), Kataang (AtLA)

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Naruto's feelings over the confession were very clear. Sure, he was angry that Sakura was lying to herself about not caring about Sasuke and giving up on him but it doesn't end there. Naruto never believed for a second Sakura really did love him nor was he not forming an opinion on it, he thought she didn't love him at all. That's why he started to get angry when Sakura wasn't telling him what was going on, was lying to herself about Sasuke, and by extension lying to him about loving him (from his POV). Naruto had a firm opinion on the entire matter and none of it revolved around her maybe telling the truth about loving him. If that was true, then he wouldn't have pushed her away her in the hug and told her to "stop joking".

And once again, I heavily doubt any further relevance on the Bench scene. It wasn't emphasized enough and I'm not convinced that moment was what made Sakura fall in love with Sasuke. Possibly if "Sasuke" didn't say  "that sounds like something Naruto would say", then I could see the point. But, from my POV, neither Sakura nor Naruto were already in love with someone at the time. Sakura's feelings for Sasuke only came off less shallow at around the Chunin Exams Arc and that's probably when she loved him. Naruto ... similarly. I like the Bench scene, but it's not emphasized enough for me to say it will be connected to realizing her true feelings.

"I absolutely can't let you die! I can't! I won't let you die ... your stupid dream ... now it's ... it's right in front of us!!"                                                                             ----Sakura Haruno                                                                              

#20 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Naruto's feelings over the confession were very clear. Sure, he was angry that Sakura was lying to herself about not caring about Sasuke and giving up on him but it doesn't end there. Naruto never believed for a second Sakura really did love him nor was he not forming an opinion on it, he thought she didn't love him at all. That's why he started to get angry when Sakura wasn't telling him what was going on, was lying to herself about Sasuke, and by extension lying to him about loving him (from his POV). Naruto had a firm opinion on the entire matter and none of it revolved around her maybe telling the truth about loving him. If that was true, then he wouldn't have pushed her away her in the hug and told her to "stop joking".

This is actually the very reason why I question Naruto sometimes.

If he had the opportunity to be happy with everything that he wanted, would he take it? I don't mean just everything handed to him, but rather everything he worked hard to achieve finally pays off...would he accept the success of his endeavors?

It's one thing to wonder whether Sakura was telling the truth or not...it is another to question whether or not Naruto would accept the truth even if it was told to him.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 08 March 2014 - 09:44 AM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users