13 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 12:32 AM

In my case, Naruto was released onto Cartoon Network around 2004 or 2005 and I remember really liking the show even though I didn’t get to see it very often due to it coming on after my bedtime as a kid. I could occasionally catch an episode here and there when my family was at a friend’s house and I was allowed to watch the TV while they visited, but those times were few and far in-between. Then around 2006 I went to a different school and started doing poorly, so I wasn’t allowed to watch much TV, so Naruto kind of slipped off my radar for a long time…or at least it was to me since a year for a kid is basically an eternity times infinity.

Fast forward to 2007. I was entering into the 7th grade and went back to my original school due to being treated as an outcast at the other one. 7th grade and 8th grade were probably my best years of school, and if given the option of re-doing a few grades, these are the two I would pick without a second thought.

Anyway, at this time my grades were doing much better because I was able to take a study hall and have some one-on-one time with a teacher to help me catch up with my classes, and thus was allowed to have a TV in my room for my video games and shows I wanted to watch instead of my dad hogging the remote all the time. I don’t remember what time of the year it was, but I was watching Cartoon Network and an ad for Naruto came on. My eyes immediately widened, and my attention was completely captured since Naruto was a show I hadn’t heard about for ages at the time.

The movie “Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom” was being advertised, and I set it to record that weekend on DVR. At the time, the movie was amazing to me. It had fast paced action, awesome magical spells, and an intense moment where Naruto released the 9-tailed fox and pounded the crap out of the three evil ninjas. I watched that movie routinely as if my life depended on it for the longest time and recorded every single episode of Naruto that came on TV over the weekends.

To this day, that movie probably remains my favorite of the Naruto movies and holds a special place in my heart. It takes me back to a much simpler time as a kid without the annoyance of social media and every person I know constantly being on their cell phones.

At school I would watch episodes of Naruto online during our computer hour. We had a very small class and rarely had any assignments to do, so I was able to watch Naruto for a whole hour during school. This was great for me because I lived 15 miles outside of town and had no internet at home.

I watched Naruto every chance I got, and even got in trouble for watching it a few times, but it was worth it. But the main reason I was drawn to the show was because of how poorly Naruto was treated. I wasn’t that much different from him so I actually had a character I could connect to and use as a role model. And I can’t deny that I might have had the biggest crush on Sakura back in the day as well. And let’s not forget the soundtrack either! My God, as soon as the music kicked in you knew kitten was about to get real! And with the exception of Fairy Tail, Naruto is probably my number 1 soundtrack.

I thought part 1 was good, though it was by no means perfect. Sakura was annoying, Sasuke was a brat, and Naruto was, well, Naruto. Then I got into Shippuden and I was captivated by it so much more! 

#2 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 06:10 PM

A friend of mine in High School showed me Chapter 3. Not much else to say

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#3 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 12 February 2022 - 06:17 PM

Around 2010.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#4 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:21 PM

When Shonen Jump was brought over as a monthly magazine, I first found Naruto with bell test and going off on the Bridge mission. I wasn't really big into Naruto in those days, vastly preferred YYH, but while I read the magazine I did follow Naruto. I only really got into Naruto when I moved and the school library had over a dozen volumes. Still wasn't a big fan, but when I caught up (a bit after Jiraiya's death) I continued reading it regularly until it ended.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#5 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:20 AM

When Shonen Jump was brought over as a monthly magazine, I first found Naruto with bell test and going off on the Bridge mission. I wasn't really big into Naruto in those days, vastly preferred YYH, but while I read the magazine I did follow Naruto. I only really got into Naruto when I moved and the school library had over a dozen volumes. Still wasn't a big fan, but when I caught up (a bit after Jiraiya's death) I continued reading it regularly until it ended.

Got into it around the time when Zabuza attacked them and he trapped Kakashi in the Water Prison Jutsu with seeing Naruto grabbing his headband from Zabuza when he was stomping on it

#6 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 04:29 PM

Uh Me? I was buying anime dvds from this shop close to me. it started with Inuyasha actually. (it was burnt, mind you lol) One day, shop keeper recommended Naruto to my mom, saying it was really popular so she grabbed it and I ended up watch, was it maybe 20 episodes per set, they were selling. I obviously got hooked rooting for how severe an underdog Naruto was instantly. I only found out about reading the manga on the internet around 2007 I believe. I started looking into buying the physical volumes a few years later. Fast forward to 2014..... well we all know the rest, now don't we?

Edited by Phantom_999, 13 February 2022 - 04:31 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#7 Moon_Girl

Moon_Girl

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:OTPs:
    NaruSaku - Naruto x Sakura (Naruto Series)
    Het Chrobin - Chrom x Robin♀ (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    Clerith - Cloud x Aerith (Final Fantasy VII Series)
    Demelith - Demetri x Byleth♀ (Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes)
    Phantom/Erik x Christine (Phantom of the Opera)
    Jintan x Menma (AnoHana)
    ZeLink - Link x Zelda (Legend of Zelda Series)

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:59 AM

Back in 2003, my older brother's friend downloaded some subbed Naruto episodes and put them on CDs. He gave them to my brother and the two of us watched it together. At the time, there wasn't a dub yet. Just the manga. I remember being really excited that there was going to be a dub. I even set up my VCR to record the premier episodes. (I believe it was on Cartoon Network, they premiered with the first three episodes) 
It's also the first time I realized that I preferred subs over dubs, lol.

NaruSaku will always be better than crack and fan fiction

#8 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:52 AM

I don't think the Naruto dub was that bad. Compare it to DBZ dubs and it's heavenly! 

#9 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 09:41 AM

The voices weren’t bad, but they were flat monotone and robotic, even during emotional scenes if you ask me

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#10 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 06:00 PM

The voices werent bad, but they were flat monotone and robotic, even during emotional scenes if you ask me

It got better but in those early days yeah, it sucked.

#11 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 18 February 2022 - 06:07 PM

See, here's a funny story... in 2008, I wasn't into Naruto but I was aware of it. My friend was a fan. I asked the characters and asked if Sakura is his girlfriend and he said "nope, it's Hinata." I gave him a hesitant look. Even then, I didn't buy NaruHina.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#12 RedFaction

RedFaction

Legendary Pirate

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 06:31 PM

See, here's a funny story... in 2008, I wasn't into Naruto but I was aware of it. My friend was a fan. I asked the characters and asked if Sakura is his girlfriend and he said "nope, it's Hinata." I gave him a hesitant look. Even then, I didn't buy NaruHina.

I don't know I could have bought it more back then than now. Best time for it to have happened was after Hinata's confession in the Pain invasion arc. When that was dropped and left forgotten then it became less and less believable, especially when we find out Naruto didn't ever think about that confession again until he was put into a genjutsu in the Last.

As it stands the only relationship that got botched more in execution than NaruHina was SasuSaku. And it ain't close either, I still don't know how anyone thought for a second SasuSaku would be a good idea to actually have happen. It still feels like these pairings were planned last minute when Boruto looks nothing like Hinata and Sarada looks like Karin's kid.

Edited by RedFaction, 18 February 2022 - 06:34 PM.

#13 lupina

lupina

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 02:13 PM

Because of the Team 7 dynamic. And Sakuras' silly crush on Sasuke. I saw the scene in the Zabuza Arc, where Sakura literally said "Huh? This feeling ... is this Naruto?"
I was hooked. I wanted to see Naruto to overcome himself. I wanted to see Sakura move on from her superficial, girly persona, for her crush and become a geniuine, caring and strong person. I wanted to see Sasuke move on from his path of hatred and really bond with his teammates (and not to marry a girl with the emotional age of 12 out of pity, lol). I wanted to see CHANGE.

This had so much potential. But well ... turns out it was a waste of time.

"We live in a world that is so quick to convince us to ignore our feelings. Feeling stressed? Get a massage. Feeling angry? Go to the bar with your friends and blow off steam. Feeling lonely? Meet someone in cyberspace and have a conversation on the computer. Depressed? Take a pill. Anxiety? Take 2 pills. Feeling happy? Well, by George, don’t talk about that because no one likes a bragger. Same with being sad, no one likes a Debbie Downer. But, heaven FORBID, that you actually TALK about your feelings and process them in a healthy way."

- Amy Cassidy

#14 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 04:52 PM

First read the series in the English Shonen Jump at the Land of Waves arc, when Zabuza first showed up, and when Naruto got back his headband from Zabuza. Even if I had NO IDEA of all of what was going on, that started my interest, as did it get me into NaruSaku to boot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users