LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

After many months, and years we finally get a teaser regarding the netflix Death Note Film 

My thoughts: I'm certainly going to be keeping my eyes on it, but will it be the greatest thing in the world? No cause the anime/manga will always be better. It could be good for sure I can say that much, it just really depends on how the film turns out. It does kinda feel like the Death Note spirit is there, and RYUK!! enough said :D

Anyway what are your thoughts on the teaser? and how do you feel about them doing an american live action adaptation to a great if not amazing series like Death Note? 

Edited by LuckyChi7, 22 March 2017 - 11:33 PM.

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#2 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

I think they certainly got the tone right. That increase in music when it flashed the "Justice of Kira" was great.

However, I feel like the trailer went a little too far out of its way to make Light appear evil. I remember watching the first few episodes and he just seemed (despite his intelligence) like an average high schooler. The lighting and facial expressions make him a little too, for lack of a better term, edgy. It's just a trailer though so not too big of a deal.

I really can't wait to see L.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#3 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:33 AM

Can't wait!!

#4 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:29 AM

August is still so far away. Looks promising as long as it doesn't become like DB evolution.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#5 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

August is still so far away. Looks promising as long as it doesn't become like DB evolution.

I think it would be a lot harder to screw up Death Note then DB franchise. Despite Ryuuk and the mystical aspects, Death Note still takes place in a mostly realistic world. The world is very similar to our own at the start and the characters were animated to look relatively realistic. DB on the other hand took place in a different world with animals and dinosaurs and people who could fly, etc. 

From a technical standpoint I think they'll likely get it right. It will really come down to the script and acting I think.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#6 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

I guess I'm going to be That Negative Voice and say I have zero confidence in any American remake of an anime/manga. So much gets lost culturally in these stories when they're "westernized", and consequently they end up bastardized versions of themselves.

It don't see Death Note playing out any better, even with having a more real life setting than previous series to get in the hands of western writers with no real appreciation or understanding of the source material.

But seeing as I don't have Netflix anyway, I couldn't watch it even if I wanted to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

I guess I'm going to be That Negative Voice and say I have zero confidence in any American remake of an anime/manga. So much gets lost culturally in these stories when they're "westernized", and consequently they end up bastardized versions of themselves.

It don't see Death Note playing out any better, even with having a more real life setting than previous series to get in the hands of western writers with no real appreciation or understanding of the source material.

But seeing as I don't have Netflix anyway, I couldn't watch it even if I wanted to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't have it either. Kind of nice here, since it means every one else can tell me if it sucks. I wonder if they'll do what the Japanese live actions did and end it with L (and omit Near and Mello).

#8 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

Light looks like he got caught stealing candy in the thumbnail of that vid oh my godd

I can't wait for this!  :happy:

#9 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

I agree with bakaneko-chan, but to put my own cents;

There are tons of live actions from Japan/Korea that ranges from OK to good, it's better watching those. So I don't see the big excitement here, but I'll wait calling it kitten until August. I'm curious if they'll pull off Ryuk's CGR . oh and they made Nat Wolff look like Ramsay Bolton not Light..  :glare:

If they would release a trailer with L, I might become more optimistic and at least watch his scenes.

(I googled it and it's the same remake that did this http://www.deathnote...ght-yagami-role not a surprise but a big turnoff, if asian man cannot play white man then white man should not play asian man.)

ナルサク

#10 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Not to get anyone's hopes up with this, but they did release this image between L and Light in the movie:

death-note-l.jpg

Even with this image I'm like... we'll see.  No need to get hyped about it.. just see the movie and judge based on that.

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#11 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

I expect there will be the usual white washing allegations and backlash when the series releases, though I guess Americanisation of a Japanese classic is more accurate. Heck one of the recommended videos was titled, 'Death Note Live action already sucks' it might even be because of the backlash of the character of L being portrayed by a Black actor, instead of a pale skinned, Japanese actor.

iAnby7W.gif

#12 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:32 AM

I will see it but I will not get my hopes up. When Hollywood makes movies based on famous anime of video games they usually SUCK a lot:

-Mario Bros

-Wing Commander 

-House of the Dead

-Dead or Alive

-DB evolution

-Mortal Kombat

-Halo (forward onto dawn was bad)

-Street Fighter 

-Doom

And so and on.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#13 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

I will see it but I will not get my hopes up. When Hollywood makes movies based on famous anime of video games they usually SUCK a lot:

-Mario Bros
-Wing Commander 
-House of the Dead
-Dead or Alive
-DB evolution
-Mortal Kombat
-Halo (forward onto dawn was bad)
-Street Fighter 
-Doom

And so and on.

MK,SF,DOA, Mario Bros and DB Evolution are the movies that I watched MANY times xD So I'll watch Death Note along with Ghost in the Shell

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

#14 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

js..

This is so weeb

Attached Files

ナルサク

#15 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

I agree with bakaneko-chan, but to put my own cents;

There are tons of live actions from Japan/Korea that ranges from OK to good, it's better watching those. So I don't see the big excitement here, but I'll wait calling it kitten until August. I'm curious if they'll pull off Ryuk's CGR . oh and they made Nat Wolff look like Ramsay Bolton not Light..  :glare:

If they would release a trailer with L, I might become more optimistic and at least watch his scenes.

(I googled it and it's the same remake that did this http://www.deathnote...ght-yagami-role not a surprise but a big turnoff, if asian man cannot play white man then white man should not play asian man.)

How can you be "too Asian" to play the role of an canonically Japanese character? God. Says a lot about the mindset of the people heading this project, but definitely not surprising considering how these things have played out in the past. The fact that they weren't even willing to consider an Asian actor for the role doesn't help my optimism. That video was pretty interesting though, watching him I felt Edward Zo could've made a pretty good Light.

#16 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

This actor isn't suitable to play Light's role. He looks fake.

#17 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

It might still surprise us, it is a Netflix movie, so they don't have to worry about making it suitable for the western market to get seats in cinema's they just need to gather enough interest that the subscibers will watch it and maybe even gain a few members. The story might be faithful who knows, though the actors still don't fit the bill.

I'm not sure what's getting more hate right now, this or the Ghost in a Shell movie, though the latter is one I'm more confused with, (when did an android become Japanese?)

iAnby7W.gif

#18 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

I think since this is about the Netflix Death Note movie I don't think it belongs in the otaku square section. I think it belongs in the arts and ent section.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#19 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:41 AM

@bakaneko
Because it's an america production, that's why it has white, black, Hispanic, etc.

#20 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

So gigguk made a video..XD

ナルサク

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users