• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Alright, I'm starting this thread because I saw some similar, but not one that focused specifically on Naru/Saku.

Recently read a fanfic that had Sakura beginning a relationship with Naruto, sleeping with him, etc., while she still harbored some feelings for Sasuke. Naruto knew about this, but let the relationship proceed anyway, enjoying the physical and hoping eventually her feelings would switch fully to him. Which they did, of course. Then cue his inevitable resentment when she finally tried to be honest about her new feelings. Anyway, little fight with Sasuke later, and things all work out.

I think this is a fairly popular scenario for Naru/Saku stories. I've read it in lots of them, with some variations. But my problem with this is that there is nothing in Naruto's character that ever makes me think he would settle for a relationship without love. By settling, it turns all those heroic qualities he has on end. It negates his strong will, optimism and persistence.

This scenario also paints Sakura as the type of girl who would use her best friend for some good feelings. In the end, is she the type of girl you want the hero to end up with? A reformed manipulator?

Lots of times, I find these hard to read these because the stories mangle the integrity of the characters.

Another one that, for me, really destroys the character (even moreso than the above), is sending Naruto off with Jiraiya and he has some first sexual experience with a prostitute. It only has minor ripples in the story, as he didn't care or it was awful, etc. etc. But I always, always wonder what the reader would think if the shoe were on the other foot, so to speak. heheelq7.png

What if it were Sakura who came back from a sojourn with Tsunade, much more worldly wise after a tryst with a handsome shinobi in a forgettable town? And Naruto was the inexperienced, long-suffering love interest who stayed in Konoha? How would that make the reader view the characters? And more importantly, would they still like them?

The double standard of male experience vs. female purity is presented in lots and lots of different areas: fiction, movies, tv, etc. So it's nothing new. But I wonder if authors even realize they are dipping into this double standard when they write about Naruto and Sakuras' backstories this way. They may, and if they do — if they think what's good for one goes the same for the other too — then I don't have a problem.

But for me, although that backstory is convenient for the storyline, it doesn't reflect well on the characters of Naruto, Jiraiya and Sakura. With these big moral hiccups in the lives of people who are defined by their characters, the story should shift in focus more to their human flaws and less to their sterling heroics. Does that make sense? Jiraiya's never forced Naruto into any situations like that, Naruto has shown that he's more than capable of deciding what's right and wrong, and Sakura would never accept anything like perverted behavior. But when the storyline delves into human flaws, the author almost never resolves them realistically or in keeping with the character's normal (not ooc) reactions.

Anyone else have themes they like, dislike? Some you'd like to see more of or some you wish would die forever?

edit: Standard disclaimer: These themes are just from general observation, not based on individual stories.

Edited by tricksie, 08 November 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#2 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I think we have a thread similar to this, but I'll bite. Some themes that i don't like but I see reoccurring anyway, a large majority non- naru/saku stories I've read, either paints Sakura as some ultra raging b*tch, or some inane masochist that will put up with any thing to be with Sasuke. While the girl of the author's choice Ino/Hinata/ whatever is the more reasonable level-headed character. Interesting enough a lot of the themes that irritate me, are in some fairly creative one page comic 'rants' that were featured in another topic.

Naruto/Sakura/Hinata/Orochimaru Rants

As for why these authors do this, I'll have to come back later to explain my theory.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#3 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

First of all, you must tell me the name of the fanfic(PM me if you don't want to reveal it here)! wink.gif

I have nothing against stories where Naruto and Sakura start sleeping together without their feelings being completely resolved, Naruto still thinking she's in love with Sasuke etc. But I can't see Sakura being with Naruto if she were still in love with Sasuke. Whatever people might think of the pairing, they can like it or not, but they can't deny that Sakura loves Naruto. What kind of love and how strong it is etc. can be debated, but the truth is that she cares about him and would never intentionally use and hurt him.
Would Naruto allow Sakura to use him like that? I'm not so sure about this one...

I absolutely hate the scenario with the prostitutes, as I already mentioned in another thread. It would be very OOC for Naruto to be against drinking before he was of age, but then sleep with random girls without blinking an eye. Also, I can't see Jiraiya forcing him to do something he doesn't want to.

#4 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Don't know if this is the story that the OP read but off the top of my head, I know "Broken Promises" and "First and Only", that second one kinda has the similar plot but it also turns to be one of the most well written Naru/Saku stories I've read and a personal favorite.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#5 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Oh yeah, I love "First and Only". I haven't read the other one, where can I find it? Although the summary did sound a lot like "Clean through" to me.

#6 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Nov 8 2011, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But for me, although that backstory is convenient for the storyline, it doesn't reflect well on the characters of Naruto, Jiraiya and Sakura. With these big moral hiccups in the lives of people who are defined by their characters, the story should shift in focus more to their human flaws and less to their sterling heroics. Does that make sense? Jiraiya's never forced Naruto into any situations like that, Naruto has shown that he's more than capable of deciding what's right and wrong, and Sakura would never accept anything like perverted behavior. But when the storyline delves into human flaws, the author almost never resolves them realistically or in keeping with the character's normal (not ooc) reactions.

Anyone else have themes they like, dislike? Some you'd like to see more of or some you wish would die forever?

edit: Standard disclaimer: These themes are just from general observation, not based on individual stories.

It's been so long since I read a lot of NaruSaku, but from what I recall that scenario also tended to include lots of gratuitous Sasuke bashing, especially if he were present in the village at the time.

That said, how I read that scenario is very dependent on the characters involved. I really don't like in this context because as you said, it mischaracterizes involved.

Jiriaya: As stated in the other thread, Jiriaya is often protrayed as a sexual superpimp who sleeps withing anything female and not only passes the knowledge onto Naruto, but does so with great enthusiam. This kind of story makes Kishimoto's mix of the modern and old somewhat awkward because in stories like this...if he did this under current law he'd probably be in prison or at least have multiple run-ins with CPS. It's often one of the first lessons he imparts on 13 year old Naruto which makes it all the worse.

In addition, I think this completely misunderstand Jiriaya. I think he's all talk. Despite the law of averages suggesting otherwise, if Kishimoto came out and said Jiriaya is a virgin I could buy it. Not that I think he is, but I think it's believable either way. I imagine much of his adult dating life consisting of failed relationships (to the extent he had any) because he never quiet got over Tsunade and any othe woman he dates is not going to be her.

Finally as you said, I cannot see himself subjecting Naruto to this because of (1) Naruto's age, (2) the purpose of the training and (3) especially because I think over the long run it's not something that made him happy because at the end he still hasn't let go of Tsuande.

Naruto: I like you, have trouble seeing Naruto as the type of person who is willing to accept the sex without the love. The other problem is that it suggests that if Naruto is willing to go for this he's desperate enough to have Sakura with him with the commponent he wants the most: her love. It speaks to a desperation on his part that simply doesn't exist. If so, he would have taken her earlier confession and ran with it. I don't see Naruto entering into a relationship with her, unless he believes genuine feelings exist.

I don't know why, but I've never liked Naruto fics with him being the uber experieiced, sexual and relationship guru. I enjoy watching him try to fumble through that right along with whoever he is with. If anything I prefer that it is he who is taught. The problem I've seen is that experienced Naruto tends to have two tracks, both of which I hate: (1) cynical jackass (meaning poor experiences) (2) sex machine who teaches the inexperieced partner (where it was good). The first, I just hate cynical jackass Naruto. The second, more often than the author cannot protray it as a relationship among equals.

Sakura: From her perspective, even if she "comes around" and loves him, it's a horrible thing to do because I suspect that she doesn't enter into believing this will happen. She just flat out uses him, in that case. And unlike her confession, it would be for her benefit, not his personal safety. I cannot see her ever using him as substitute like that.

I prefer Part 1 NaruSaku primarly because there is less material that can be grafted over or assumed from canon, so the author has to work harder at constructing the friendship and later relationship. One reason I have such a high preference for crack in fanfiction is that it requires the author to do this. The downside is that those fics almost always occupy the extremes of being really good or really bad. With most being really bad.

#7 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Nov 8 2011, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer Part 1 NaruSaku primarly because there is less material that can be grafted over or assumed from canon, so the author has to work harder at constructing the friendship and later relationship. One reason I have such a high preference for crack in fanfiction is that it requires the author to do this. The downside is that those fics almost always occupy the extremes of being really good or really bad. With most being really bad.

Agree on all points, and especially the last bit. I never thought about crack fiction as being a test for the author but your right. I'm always curious to see if they can change the characters in such a way to make me believe in a completely different love without destroying Naruto/Sakura/Sasuke's characters completely. Just read a Kakashi/Sakura fic that was pretty decently done. Although I wouldn't consider that as "cracked" a pairing as some others...such as pairing Sakura with Madara or Hidan or Deidara!

#8 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hmm...
This is an interesting thread. I am very much interested in the part where Naruto sleeps around. I learnt a big lesson for this part, lol.

Normally, I never minded reading a fic where Naruto slept around (within reason, of course), because 'normally' sex should not be equated with feelings. (I must specify that this goes very much against my personal principles, though, as I am from a very conservative culture/country, where sex before marriage is still unheard of ...at least it was in my days!)

Anyway, coming back to fics...I used to think Naruto sleeping around did not, by any means, decrease his love for Sakura. (But adversely, as you pointed out, I NEVER liked fics where Sakura sleeps around. It does look sexist, I know...)

I made the 'mistake' of making Naruto sleeping with geisha in my last fic. I figured that the guy was 25 years old, after all, and attractive as he is, it would not be very logical to still have him as a virgin. Since I didn't want him to have a girlfriend with whom he would have done the deed, which, in my mind, would have meant he would have had feelings for her, I resorted to the use of a geisha - where there's no feelings involved.
And the minute the chapter was out, I was bombarded with affronted reactions from the reviews, and my PM was flooded with outraged mails. I was quite stunned with the reactions! My review board became a battlefield among reviewers - who were each arguing with each other and I was like whoa, what the heck do I do, lol. ( i still have reviewers debating the virgin / non virgin issue over that chapter).

Anyway, after a few lengthy PMs discussion with some of the reviewers I really respect and appreciate, , I changed the version, but it still left me with a reeling sensation of having been stoned by an outraged mob!
All in all, the lesson learnt was not to mess around with our dear Naruto, lol.

#9 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

I hope this wasn't my fic. I know I had Sakura start a relationship with Naruto (though not sleeping with him) while still not fully over Sasuke, but it was supposed to be a casual type of relationship that evolved deeper... and while she was feeling less and less loyal to her 'Sasuke' side, she (off-camera) discovered that Sasuke's very sanity might require she remain 'loyal' to him, keeping the option of sex (and pregnancy) open. In other words, I was tormenting poor Sakura about having her head tell her she HAD to keep the Sasuke option open while her heart was demanding she commit to Naruto.

Part-way through that fic, I started getting commenters DEMAND that Naruto (who almost violently refused the service of a prostitute Jiraiya paid for as a 'birthday present' because of loyalty to Sakura, even believing Sakura would never love him in return) start sleeping around, because of how Sakura was treating him. Gah.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#10 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Nov 8 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope this wasn't my fic. I know I had Sakura start a relationship with Naruto (though not sleeping with him) while still not fully over Sasuke, but it was supposed to be a casual type of relationship that evolved deeper... and while she was feeling less and less loyal to her 'Sasuke' side, she (off-camera) discovered that Sasuke's very sanity might require she remain 'loyal' to him, keeping the option of sex (and pregnancy) open. In other words, I was tormenting poor Sakura about having her head tell her she HAD to keep the Sasuke option open while her heart was demanding she commit to Naruto.

Part-way through that fic, I started getting commenters DEMAND that Naruto (who almost violently refused the service of a prostitute Jiraiya paid for as a 'birthday present' because of loyalty to Sakura, even believing Sakura would never love him in return) start sleeping around, because of how Sakura was treating him. Gah.

Hah, when I read tricksie's opening post, my mind recognized the scenario from your fix...despite the ages ago I read it.

Still, what's different is that Sakura was quite tormented about who to choose and really did enjoy her casual relationship between her and Naruto. I don't remember, but did Naruto knew Sakura's initial feelings going into their relationship?

#11 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

I don't read a lot of fanfiction - ironically, I've read the least NaruSaku sweatdrop.gif - but I do have this thing where I tend to stay away from the story if I see sex as a strong theme in the first few chapters, even if the story is very well written. It's not so much a 'damning criteria' as it is just a general preference for me; I like stories mostly 'innocent' XD Some of it in later chapters is fine.

Generally speaking though, I don't quite see Naruto sleeping around. At the moment, he is still rather devoted to Sakura and whether or not his feelings are romantic or platonic, she does have a rather special place in his heart. I can picture him being tempted by some women, but ultimately grinning and trying to tell them as nicely as possible, 'nah, saving myself for someone else'. That said, I'm mostly seeing this in teenager Naruto. I imagine he'll mature when he becomes an adult, and if in that story Sakura does not make it apparent that she loves him romantically, I can see him growing out of his feelings for her, and moving instead to a close friendship.

I rather like fics that explore Sakura's perspective, because I find her to be more complex a character than most people give her credit for. To me, she is the most 'realistic'. The funny thing with Sakura is that she has two sides, which respectively can quite fittingly come into play as she matures. For teenage Sakura, I see little sex for her. Instead, I also see her tempted but at the same time blushing and going all embarrassed at the thought, and making up some wonky excuse to run away - and then she'd run into Naruto and tell her best friend all about it biggrin.gif That is the Sakura Kishimoto mostly presents to us; someone with fantasies but enough level-headedness and childishness to know when, where, by whom and if those fantasies will be fulfilled.

... Actually, I completely made all of that up on the spot. Agree/disagree with this interpretation of Sakura? XD

On to the other side of Sakura, most fics portray her as somewhat flirtatious as she gets older, around 18+ In these fics, she favours dry sarcasm, is independent, more expressive of her thoughts, and does not have misgivings about sex as long as the guy is not a complete octopus. I do like these fics, although I admittedly prefer the ones where Sakura flirtatiously teases a guy but does not sleep with them because she will only get herself involved because of true feelings, nothing else.

That's how I see Naruto and Sakura's, well, sex life individually. If you put them together, it's quite plausible that the older Naruto and older Sakura might sleep together. I still don't see either of them doing it for the sake of it, rather than for the feelings though. I don't think anyone can deny that those two care about each other, like Kim said, and I can't see them using each other like that.

If I had to write a fic in which Naruto and Sakura get together, I admit I would do so in the most 'innocent' way possible XD Off the top of my head, they would be very close friends, somewhat protective of who each other gets together with. Naruto would be over his crush for Sakura, but still has that soft spot reserved for her. Sakura - typically - doesn't think that she loves Naruto in that way but at the same time opens up to him more than other guys. She'd suspect nothing of this because he's her best friend. Sakura starts going out with someone and all's dandy, yet something is still missing. Cue Naruto, who can tease her about her boyfriend, make her angry and happy, and smile. Sakura wonders if there's something there. Then blah blah blah, bit of development and maybe they give it a try. Whatever it is, for me, there has to be feeling in any serious relationship. I guess the emphasis is on 'serious' wink.gif

Which leads me to summarise my rambling thoughts in one sentence: for me, there must be feeling and commitment in a serious relationship. And since Naruto and Sakura are mostly the type to approach relationships quite seriously, it follows that there would be feelings involved, even if it's so small that one or both of them may not notice it. You don't go playing around with your best friends, risking your lovely friendship, just to try something out. If Sakura did approach Naruto as a rebound from Sasuke, she'd feel terrible afterwards. Very terrible.

My favourite themes in NaruSaku fanfiction would probably be an exploration of their friendship, typical as it is. There's so much in there, including Sasuke, that makes it so fun to pick apart.

Aaaandd this is the longest post I've written in a while so I'll zip up and eat my breakfast now, haha.

#12 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

First off, madz and desaix, I promise this thread wasn't inspired by reading any of H&E author's stories. I've been thinking about these themes (and others) for a while. I recently read an older, well-written NS story with the first scenario (Naruto settling for Sakura's love), and was reminded of how I thought that scenario is just OOC for the both of them. (To the best of my knowledge that author's not on here, and the story only jogged my memory.) So I promise, I'm writing about general themes, not because of an individual story.

As for the prostitue thing, I remember that chapter and the ensuing craziness, madzy-chan! I know it must have been so hard on your end, but from a reader's perspective, I thought the way you handled it was mature and compromising. You altered the scenario in a way that didn't change the story but made it more palatable to your clamoring readers, yet you stayed true to your purpose and kept Naruto in the tempting situation, letting him be suitably tempted but not forgetting his own goals. I can't remember seeing an author be more responsive to her readers, and I think they love you even more for it! Desaix dear, I have a confession...I don't think I've read the story you're referring to, and if I have, I don't recall that scenario! sweatdrop.gif I hope you can bear a discussion on something you've already tackled as an author. At least know that I didn't target yours or anyone elses' stories. These are just my opinions. Promise.

I wondered if authors quickly jumped to the easy storyline of Naruto encountering a prostitute as a way to introduce sexual experience to his story, or if it was a truly well-thought-out choice. I'm betting it's the former. And I've often wondered how readers would react to the reverse situation. Would they be as accepting of Sakura's sexy past as they are of Naruto's? And judging from the fervor of Madz' readers, I'm going to bet if I wrote a reverse story they'd skip the pms and bring out a mob with torches and stones! lol!

@pb126, don't worry. I write insanely long posts on here all the time. I'm hiding from my NaNoWriMo project right now (it's open in another window and it can't see me cheating on it!), so I'm destined to write waaay toooo much just because I have something else I should be working on!

I agree with your post. I don't read tons of fanfics, but I'll read highly-reccomended ones. And I find that the whole story improves with good development. The sex scene becomes a natural consequence of their love, not the prelude to it.

Which leads me to summarise my rambling thoughts in one sentence: for me, there must be feeling and commitment in a serious relationship. And since Naruto and Sakura are mostly the type to approach relationships quite seriously, it follows that there would be feelings involved, even if it's so small that one or both of them may not notice it. You don't go playing around with your best friends, risking your lovely friendship, just to try something out. If Sakura did approach Naruto as a rebound from Sasuke, she'd feel terrible afterwards. Very terrible.

Yeah. All that. Me too.

As for other themes, I forgot to mention that I can't stand the abusive Sakura and long suffering Naruto thing. That's another one that mangles their characters and kills the story for me.

#13 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

I don't much like the scenario either. Actually, I don't think I have ever finished reading a story that goes along this vein...the closest being one where Sakura was, sorta, enjoying Naruto's company without committing but was not otherwise in a relationship with someone else. And she eventually committed, so I don't really see that as far too horribly manipulating on her part. To me, between the two of them, it would make more sense for Sakura to act more selfish and Naruto to act more selfless, so if it was reversed it would seem even stranger... While Sakura in canon can't really go through with stringing Naruto along, Sakura's personality taken out of canon and into another story...that is possible. It comes down to that line in the sand for what actions are too OOC in your own opinion. Technically, any crack pairing would be OOC writing, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good read.

In defense of some of these ideas, I suppose it is possible they are written in a believable way and have a specific emotional purpose they are trying to show. If it's an AU, or something similar, it isn't impossible to say that certain scenarios might have led to these drastic actions. For someone with a different moral code, it might make sense. I really do think that your own personal moral code would come into play here. Most of the time though, these sort of scenarios probably aren't handled very well. Forcing characters to do the worst things imaginable for angst doesn't usually end well. One of my favorite KakaSaku authors went too far for me in this way, and even though I would usually gobble up every word they write, I had to stop myself from reading a fic of theirs. I couldn't agree with the path, and no amount of great writing could change that.

So I guess, it's down to your own moral code and how far you feel a character can be stretched in differing circumstances. I might be more lenient with some instances of OOC-ness if the characters are behaving in a respectable way, for example. If they are cheating or going to prostitutes, things like that, I will probably just pass on the story XD;; Hope that makes sense.

#14 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

hey tricksie, no worry - I did not take it as a personal pointing!
In fact, I really appreciate these types of thread, it gives me a good perspective on things.

About the prostitute thing - I believe many authors, like me, want to have a way that Naruto do the deed without being emotionally attached. If he is hooked with a girlfriend, he would be bound to have deep feelings for her to cross the big step, and I very much doubt that Naruto would dump a girlfriend after having slept with her (if we are going with the plot that Naruto and Sakura will get together eventually). It goes even more against his character. So, it's more a question of making him have 'sex" with a prostitute rather than him "making love" with a probable girlfriend.

And if we are going into ancient times, "courtisans", specially in the eastern culture, were an art it itself and not as degrading as the crude term 'prostitute". Not that I'm advocating about using prostitutes .... But let's say I am a big fan of movies like Memoirs of a Geisha, Pretty Woman, and there are some Indian's classic equivalents like Umrao Jaan or Devdaas tongue.gif

#15 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Madz @ Nov 9 2011, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the prostitute thing - I believe many authors, like me, want to have a way that Naruto do the deed without being emotionally attached. If he is hooked with a girlfriend, he would be bound to have deep feelings for her to cross the big step, and I very much doubt that Naruto would dump a girlfriend after having slept with her (if we are going with the plot that Naruto and Sakura will get together eventually). It goes even more against his character. So, it's more a question of making him have 'sex" with a prostitute rather than him "making love" with a probable girlfriend.

Oh I remember I got a little mad when I read that in your story, but nevermind, I love it now.
I don't know why I'm so apposed to the whole thing, maybe because I do think of Naruto and Sakura's relationship as a fairy tale one. I can't have something like that in real life, so I live it through manga and fanfiction. You know, where love is easy and pure, you find the perfect person without really trying and it's meant to last forever.

But anyway, if they have to sleep with other people, I'd rather that they both do it. The concept of Naruto(or any guy for that matter) sleeping around while Sakura's still a virgin never sat with me well. I think that's what got me mad at the story. You say that it's not very logical for an attractive 25 year old guy to be a virgin. Really, but it's logical for a girl? Sorry for the feminist rant, I just had to get it out of my system. sweatdrop.gif

#16 Mr Horrible

Mr Horrible

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Nov 9 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wondered if authors quickly jumped to the easy storyline of Naruto encountering a prostitute as a way to introduce sexual experience to his story, or if it was a truly well-thought-out choice. I'm betting it's the former. And I've often wondered how readers would react to the reverse situation. Would they be as accepting of Sakura's sexy past as they are of Naruto's? And judging from the fervor of Madz' readers, I'm going to bet if I wrote a reverse story they'd skip the pms and bring out a mob with torches and stones! lol!

I don't think you should be so quick to claim double standards here. Simply switching Sakura into travelling while Naruto stayed in Konoha doesn't actually switch the whole situation, to do so you'd have to make Sakura have unrequited feelings for Naruto, which is pretty heavily OOC for both characters is this type of story. I would say that it's usually an author's intent for the audience to empathize with the character with unrequited feelings. I guess my point is that I'd be significantly more open minded regarding Sakura sleeping with a stranger if it was she who had unrequited feelings for Naruto. I seem to be having trouble elucidating my thoughts in a logical manner here, as I realize the party with one-sided has no claim on what the other does, however I don't think people react with simple logic in matters such as these, which leads back into my point about empathy.

Of course, I probably do have double standards regarding this matter in general myself, I just don't think your scenario actually isolated them.

#17 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

gree on all points, and especially the last bit. I never thought about crack fiction as being a test for the author but your right. I'm always curious to see if they can change the characters in such a way to make me believe in a completely different love without destroying Naruto/Sakura/Sasuke's characters completely. Just read a Kakashi/Sakura fic that was pretty decently done. Although I wouldn't consider that as "cracked" a pairing as some others...such as pairing Sakura with Madara or Hidan or Deidara!

I define crack as anything non-canon.

The more "cracked" the pairing the harder one has to work. That's half the fun of those fics. However, it requires at of talent (and patience) to work through many of the basics that the manga had already established for more canon couples. Many just assmue them, which is disappointing and many other engaged in really cheap plot devices. The other aspect of those I like is when authors don't "cheat" with cannon relationships by assuming them out of existence prior to the start of the story or bypass them with exceptionally cheap plot devices (for example typecasting Sakura).

Assuming away isn't fatal or necesarily bad for me, for example, simply having say NaruSaku (or whatever cannon pairing overlaps with the crack) slowly fade over time or just never quiet making is plausible, but I'm always more interested when an author deals with that kind complication head on.

As far the deviations, I'm pretty open, with a huge caveat: the greater the deviation the more I need to see how they get from Point A to Point B.

#18 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Mr Horrible @ Nov 9 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you should be so quick to claim double standards here. Simply switching Sakura into travelling while Naruto stayed in Konoha doesn't actually switch the whole situation, to do so you'd have to make Sakura have unrequited feelings for Naruto, which is pretty heavily OOC for both characters is this type of story. I would say that it's usually an author's intent for the audience to empathize with the character with unrequited feelings. I guess my point is that I'd be significantly more open minded regarding Sakura sleeping with a stranger if it was she who had unrequited feelings for Naruto. I seem to be having trouble elucidating my thoughts in a logical manner here, as I realize the party with one-sided has no claim on what the other does, however I don't think people react with simple logic in matters such as these, which leads back into my point about empathy.

Of course, I probably do have double standards regarding this matter in general myself, I just don't think your scenario actually isolated them.

Yeah, but the thing is, I don't think the whole sleeping-with-the-prostitute scenario has anything to do with character development. For either Naruto or Sakura.

If anything, sleeping with a stranger knowing that and/or because of the fact that you have unrequited feelings for someone else does not reflect well on the one sleeping around. It only shows their immaturity, not their devotion. And if they were coerced in some way, then the situation just gets sadder. There's really no up-side here for character development!

It would make much more sense for a prostitue scenario to happen outside of unrequited love. Naruto or Sakura have moved on for the time being or they have never met. Then they are acting on their own. There's no moral frowning on the part of the reader and the characters have not been twisted so ooc to allow the situation to happen and then later overcome it.

I think there is a great need on the part of the authors to explain away their backstory like a laundry list. And that's ok — it's fanfic after all. But I think so little thought is given to the random-sex-with-stranger aspect, that it ceases to be interesting. I think it's just an easy way to sum up a sex life. And when you do have a good writer with an interesting story line, the trope can just about bring the story to a standstill, no matter how well it's written.

@nate: I think I told you I recently read a kaka/saku that had a really high rating. Think it was called House of Crows. I read it as a lark, just to see if I could really be swayed to like another Saku-pairing. And although I didn't go head-over-heels into KakaSaku land, I was pretty impressed by their relationship. It was believeable. And mostly because of Naruto's reaction: He was still protective of Sakura and kind of begrudgingly accepting of the relationship. It was very in-character and was handled really well. So yeah, I think the crack ships really force the writer to be creative. And you're right about the development. That is the key to crack!

#19 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

It's been a while since I last came here.

I've also read many stories where either Naruto or Sakura sleeps with somebody other than each other. I've always thought that the author puts in their taste/hope(don't know if it's the right word) of wanting to have experience than the other half of the relationship. Like for example, if I was a male author I would feel a little more feeling of victory of having my male main character have more experience than the female one. No amount of sugar coating the reason will make me change my views of why the author puts in those scenes because those scenes are unnecessary and doesn't make sense.

@Mr. Horrible
Actually I've always felt double standards when reading NaruSaku love stories. That is why I don't like majority of the NS fandom on FF.net. When Naruto sleeps with other girls, automatically there are many male readers saying what a wonderful story it is. But you can see the exact same male readers bashing stories where Sakura sleeps with another male character. Both of the stories suck but the reason one gets praise is because Naruto gets to sleep with other girls and one gets bashed because Sakura did the exact same thing. If this is not double standard then I don't know what is.

Also, saying that the readers want to see Naruto sleeping with other girls because of his unrequited feelings don't make sense at all. First of all, then why not have Naruto love another girl if the readers want equality? At least that makes more sense than having Naruto, a guy who hates people lying to themselves and is deeply in love with Sakura sleep with another girl. It's not about equality, it's about Naruto having the upper hand.

Secondly, those stories that Naruto sleeps with other girls, has Naruto acting like a jerk to Sakura and Sakura deeply in love with Naruto. Where are the unrequited feelings in this? All I see is the author trying to punish Sakura for not liking Naruto in the first place/liking Sasuke in the past. Are Sakura's feelings being considered in this? No, it's all about as long as "Naruto has the upper hand/more experience."

@tricksie
House of Crows believable? I couldn't read more than ten chapters because I thought it was out of character. Like how Kakashi and Sakura teases each other(they don't do that), Sakura's playful nature, Kakashi's "I'm a sexy guy" attitude. Or am I only saying this because I can't stand Sakura in love with another guy?

Edited by narunarunaru, 18 November 2011 - 08:04 PM.

268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#20 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

I always find that when I read stories that are AU, it's easier for me to believe any crack pairing or the quandary of both Sakura and Naruto being experienced with other people before getting into a relationship together. That's probably the beauty of AU, is that you can twist, bend, and alter the interactions of characters to make things fall into place better.

Trying to make a an in-continuity story with those elements is much harder. You have to work with characters and events that are well defined and crucial to the character development. At what point when writing your story do you completely deviant from the established plot or that you twist the characters to try and bend to your will?

Then there's the uncontrollable variable of a readers' personal preference. Some people like reading stories where Naruto is a manwhore. Some people also like to eat chocolate cake with sweet pickles. One persons' pain maybe another persons' pleasure. BTW, chocolate cake and sweet pickles are gross together. My in-laws like it though.
End of line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users