• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Manga scans currently available (ongoing - monthly) from OneManga and Manga Fox up to Chapter 38, with a origin-type side series (Mirai Nikki Mosaic) available up to Chapter 5. No anime released yet.

Plot:
High schooler Yukiteru Amano doesn't have any friends. He's totally content to watch the world go by - as a matter of fact, that's all Yuki does. During the day he watches and records everything he sees in a diary on his cell phone. He returns home every day to his only companion, an imaginary being called Deus Ex Machina. One day Deus tells him that he's starting a game to decide who to entrust the future to.

(Yuki: What are you scheming?
Deus: An interesting game.
Yuki: ...never mind. Everything is just my imagination anyway.)

Oops. Yuki learns that he was wrong about Deus' imaginary status. His cell phone diary now reporting future events might have something to do with that.
-Or maybe it's the serial killer coming after him.
-Or perhaps it's that cute girl following you around, Yuki... you know, the psychotically obsessed one who writes about YOU every 10 minutes.

Now as one of the 12 Future Diary holders (their identities hidden from each other, each with a different power based on their jobs and personalities), Yuki's stuck playing a survival game with 11 others. Last one alive gets to become God. Good luck....

Yuno-chan. Isn't she adorable? --Click here to view--

Impressions:
You can make a quick categorization of Mirai Nikki as a cross between Death Note and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, and it wouldn't be too far off. As expected from the description, Yuki is mostly an indecisive wuss, and you wouldn't expect him to last long. However he's got the superstalker Yuno Gasai on his side. She's smart, beautiful, totally devoted to Yuki (remember how a Dairy's power is based on the holder's personality? Hers reports on Yuki constantly.), and a yandere like none other.

Their struggle between the Diary Holders is well-done, their disparate powers creating interesting cat-and-mouse battles without jumping the shark into "What the hell, there's no WAY he should've survived!" land. But it takes a back seat to the relationship between Yuki and Yuno, and how Yuno's secrets caused what she is today and threaten whatever future they may have.

I highly recommend it, but be warned - this is NOT a happy manga. As much as I'd love to see Yuki and Yuno get together in the end, it's hard to see how it happens. And there are plenty of "OH SHI-!" moments.

Why did you have to open that door, Yuki?
And the third corpse belongs to-!

Edited by Jwolf0, 21 March 2009 - 08:51 PM.

QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#2 MBKon

MBKon

Hm hm hm hm hm

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:Girls, and girls, girls, did i mention girls?

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Fudge, I love this manga! Yuuno is <3!

#3 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hmm this seems quite interesting. I'll have to give the first chapter a go and see how I like it! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users