• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

Poor development happened today, but first I will go over what occurred.

- To begin, The Interview is a movie which follows two characters who are members of the media. The two get the chance to have an interview with Kim Jong Un and when the CIA finds out, they decide to try an assassination attempt.

- Earlier in the month, Sony Pictures Entertainment, the distributor of the film, was hacked and important data was leaked

- Earlier this week, a threat was released by those claiming responsibility for the hack. The hack said: "The world will be full of fear. Remember the 11th of September 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.) Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.”

- Following the threat the United States Department of Homeland Security released a statement which said that their was no evidence of a plot to attack movie theaters

- Earlier today, major theater companies across the U.S. decided to either delay or drop the movie from its releases

- Later today, Sony decided to cancel the release of The Interview

Now with the story out of the way, some thoughts about the situation.

First and foremost, the fact that a group or one person would get this upset over a film is ridiculous. Dark, controversial films are made very often, and there are likely documentary films which are much more important than this simple comedy. Threats made against people trying to enjoy an art form is never right.

The question really falls, though, on whether or not it was the right decision to pull The Interview from the theaters. 

I completely get where Sony is coming from, don't get me wrong. After the Aurora theater shooting, I understand making all the necessary precautions.

But at the same time, how much do we sacrifice over this threat? How much of our arts, culture, or anything else are at risk over threats? I really think it was a mistake to cancel the release of The Interview.

Film Critic Richard Roeper nailed it here

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#2 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

I think this sets a bad precedent, honestly, for foreign and domestic terrorism. 

And the cynic in me thinks that they saw the threats adversely effecting ticket sales. So they pulled it. Because if people were clamoring for tickets, they would be all "we're standing strong" and "they can't stop us," etc.

#3 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:12 AM

And the cynic in me thinks that they saw the threats adversely effecting ticket sales. So they pulled it. Because if people were clamoring for tickets, they would be all "we're standing strong" and "they can't stop us," etc.

I think you're absolutely right Tricksie. Earlier today when I was following this on Twitter, I saw reports saying that stocks were falling for theater companies because of this. Later, when theaters started pulling the movie and Sony cancelled, those stocks rebounded.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#4 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:56 AM

So, in Dallas, a theatre called Alamo Draft House is responding to the news with this:

http://www.slashfilm...-the-interview/

Instead of The Interview they are doing a free screening of Team America: World Police which is also rather unflattering to the North Koreans. 

It's a giant F-U to the hackers. 

I think this sets a bad precedent, honestly, for foreign and domestic terrorism. 

My guess is that the liability concerns are too great for too many. I'm sure sales are harmed by people not wanting to go as a result of this. But Sony is already in a world of hurt from the breach alone. Two ex-employees are already suing them (and those who had their data exposed my soon follow). The emails have painted several employees in an ugly light and have hurt their reputation. The sheer fact that they cannot protect the data probably also hurt them. 

The Theatre that show them also face liability risks. What's more THEY did not spend 300 million making it, so they aren't out the cash unless sued for breach of contract. I am willing to bet while SONY has a good case for that, the overall impact of forcing them to show it or making the theatres eat the loss may harm them.. It's not at all obvious they come out overall winners.

The precedent is horrible, but their position is so weak in terms of publicity and as it relates to their own employees that it's probably not worth the risk. The show it and a threate is shot up Sony and the theatre will be sued into dust and many people saying terrible precedent will be saying "you stupid a**holes."

I hate that they bowed, but I cannot be overly critical when they face possible obliteration if they guess wrong, especially when its suspect that the North Korean intelligence services are behind this rather than a lone a**hole. 

EDIT: I'd add that I would more critical of Sony if I believed this nation and its government would stand behind Sony if it showed courage and showed the movie anyway, but I don't. I think many people complaining about capitulation would be falling all over themselves (politicians especially) to be first in line to tell Sony how stupid they were for ignoring the threat if something terrible happened.

#5 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

So, now it turns out that Paramount is a bunch of cowards/

#6 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:33 PM

There is no way this year can get anymore disappointing...

Edited by Strangelove, 19 December 2014 - 11:33 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#7 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

So, in Dallas, a theatre called Alamo Draft House is responding to the news with this:

http://www.slashfilm...-the-interview/

Instead of The Interview they are doing a free screening of Team America: World Police which is also rather unflattering to the North Koreans. 

It's a giant F-U to the hackers. 

My guess is that the liability concerns are too great for too many. I'm sure sales are harmed by people not wanting to go as a result of this. But Sony is already in a world of hurt from the breach alone. Two ex-employees are already suing them (and those who had their data exposed my soon follow). The emails have painted several employees in an ugly light and have hurt their reputation. The sheer fact that they cannot protect the data probably also hurt them. 

The Theatre that show them also face liability risks. What's more THEY did not spend 300 million making it, so they aren't out the cash unless sued for breach of contract. I am willing to bet while SONY has a good case for that, the overall impact of forcing them to show it or making the theatres eat the loss may harm them.. It's not at all obvious they come out overall winners.

The precedent is horrible, but their position is so weak in terms of publicity and as it relates to their own employees that it's probably not worth the risk. The show it and a threate is shot up Sony and the theatre will be sued into dust and many people saying terrible precedent will be saying "you stupid a**holes."

I hate that they bowed, but I cannot be overly critical when they face possible obliteration if they guess wrong, especially when its suspect that the North Korean intelligence services are behind this rather than a lone a**hole. 

EDIT: I'd add that I would more critical of Sony if I believed this nation and its government would stand behind Sony if it showed courage and showed the movie anyway, but I don't. I think many people complaining about capitulation would be falling all over themselves (politicians especially) to be first in line to tell Sony how stupid they were for ignoring the threat if something terrible happened.

^ This

Would they have pulled it had the threat been for the Hobbit/ Star Wars?

So, now it turns out that Paramount is a bunch of cowards/

^ TRUTH, I mean there were no kittening threats against them.

The situation for Sony was pretty much a lose-lose situation. We see the fall-out of them pulling the film but at the other end of the spectrum if they had decided to power on through and something did happen the headlines would probably read: "Callous Money-Hungry Studio's Decision to Show Film Leads to Deaths" so yeah, the safer choice is to just not do it. Safer for them and safer for the employees/ theater going audience members. 

I wonder what the ripple effects from this silly film/ terrible situation will be.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#8 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

I hear Rubin produced Team America and that is the real reason behind paramounts actions. Not sure if it is true but it would makes sense as Rubin was one of the producers embarrassed by the hacked accounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users