• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Naruto <3 ;Drawing anime ; Watching anime and K-dramas; NaruSaku <3

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Since the 4th grade, I've always been into drawing, especially anime (usually Naruto OC's hehe). Although I've improved since that time, I still feel like I could do way better..and part of it to blame is on me being pure lazy at times...maybe I'm just naturally not a drawer or artist? I have so much to improve on and I have a deviantart but I feel like my drawings suck compared to others >.< its better on paper but on my tablet I usually spend a long time sketching things out before I continue on with something I see I want to draw

anyways, besides practicing everyday and studying anatomy, what is another way to get better at it?

tumblr_inline_ndxjyuuF571qlo98f.gif

#2 elmas

elmas

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Can you show your drawings if it's ok with you?

tumblr_nipy94W2uE1tjr97wo2_500.gif

#3 ns.Believe.It

ns.Believe.It

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Long walks, Driving.
    Arsenal FC.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

There's a saying that goes like this- Keep doing something and you'll become an expert at that. You are a Naruto fan so don't give up.  :D

But even after practicing a lot if you still feel its not good, then there's not much you can do. Some people are just not skilled at certain things. I have always wanted to sing but unfortunately I don't have the talent  :sweat:

tumblr_mzzew0nSyr1t3jjq1o1_500.gif

'No matter what I do, I guess Happiness is a feeling that I'll never experience'

#4 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Can you show your drawings if it's ok with you?

Sure, http://strawberrykur...deviantart.com/ they're not that good yet

There's a saying that goes like this- Keep doing something and you'll become an expert at that. You are a Naruto fan so don't give up.  :D

But even after practicing a lot if you still feel its not good, then there's not much you can do. Some people are just not skilled at certain things. I have always wanted to sing but unfortunately I don't have the talent  :sweat:

That's true...but for me drawing is a passion, it's something I've always enjoyed, I just wanna become better at it and develop a style

#5 elmas

elmas

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

Do what you love.If It's one of the things that you love then don't hesitate and stop.I'm sure you can be greatier. :D

They are pretty good.Just keep practicing.

Edited by elmas, 29 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

tumblr_nipy94W2uE1tjr97wo2_500.gif

#6 ns.Believe.It

ns.Believe.It

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Long walks, Driving.
    Arsenal FC.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Sure, http://strawberrykur...deviantart.com/ they're not that good yet

That's true...but for me drawing is a passion, it's something I've always enjoyed, I just wanna become better at it and develop a style

They're pretty nice art. You should probably talk to an expert like LadyGT though  :happy:

tumblr_mzzew0nSyr1t3jjq1o1_500.gif

'No matter what I do, I guess Happiness is a feeling that I'll never experience'

#7 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

You don't seem very confident about your art. Confidence is the first step to becoming a better artist. If you don't believe in your art, no one will.

#8 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Do what you love.If It's one of the things that you love then don't hesitate and stop.I'm sure you can be greatier. :D

They are pretty good.Just keep practicing.

thank you :) and I will ^.^

They're pretty nice art. You should probably talk to an expert like LadyGT though  :happy:

thank you ^_^ and good reference :o I love her artwork

What's your devianart? :D I know how you feel, I couldn't get the style down and I was ok at drawing. Just keep practicing you'll get better. Try to get the basics of drawing bodies, proportions and faces/hair. it'll help. At least that's what I learned in art class. <.< I'm no expert but that's how I started out and I improved a lot. You can do it! :)

It's http://strawberrykur...deviantart.com/ and alright then, I'll do that :)

You don't seem very confident about your art. Confidence is the first step to becoming a better artist. If you don't believe in your art, no one will.

I see, alright :)

#9 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Don't start drawing with the goal of creating a masterpiece. Too much stress and it'd make you more of a perfectionist, and give up more easily. Just do your hobby.

Look in your mirror for references, learn from other artists and their techniques(especially those similar to your style), watch yt videos.

Create help lines techniques. Draw often. Show it to people. You'll get attention for your work and it'll motivate you. Personally it gets me really fired up when my mum calls me picasso.

ナルサク

#10 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

Don't start drawing with the goal of creating a masterpiece. Too much stress and it'd make you more of a perfectionist, and give up more easily. Just do your hobby.

Look in your mirror for references, learn from other artists and their techniques(especially those similar to your style), watch yt videos.

Create help lines techniques. Draw often. Show it to people. You'll get attention for your work and it'll motivate you. Personally it gets me really fired up when my mum calls me picasso.

you draw? :o and thanks for the advice ^__^

#11 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:55 AM

Try something new, something you have never done before.

Bring another artwork of yours. Then proceed comparing those two pieces side by side and see differences between them, how to improve both. Even after you finish them, there WILL always BE room for IMPROVEMENT, remember that. Mistakes can be corrected even after you finish the lineart or coloring, it doesn't really matter.

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how much you struggle during the process, it won't affect the design one bit. It might just ruin your idea, actually.

Ever thought about 2D art? If not, give it a go. It's relatively easy and it might come in handy should you decide to move on to bigger things like... comics, doujinshi's etc.

Edited by TeeBee, 30 August 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#12 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

There are lots of helpful tutorials online. Try searching "how to draw _____" on dA and YouTube.

Also, draw based on real life...from something in front of you, or from photographs. This is the best way to learn anatomy. And it's helpful in developing a style, too.
tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#13 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Long, LONG ago I tried to draw my first Japanese-style comics. My early attempts were not very well and eventually I gave up my magnum opus. Now the world will never know my talent.  :umm:   :chuckle:

Now, seriously, I do not know what advices I would give... But comic-book writer and editor Jim Shooter gave several tips for beginners in his blog. I think they are pretty interesting and they may be helpful to you:

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#14 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Draw and draw often, and each drawing doesn't have to be a full blown masterpiece or anything. Sometimes some of your best work can come from doodles, I know that often happens in my case anyways. Also doddle while watching anime, especially if that's the stye you want to draw. Also look at other artists work to help you find your own style. I know this advice seems really simple, and it is, but believe me it really helps :D Good luck.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#15 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Try something new, something you have never done before.

Bring another artwork of yours. Then proceed comparing those two pieces side by side and see differences between them, how to improve both. Even after you finish them, there WILL always BE room for IMPROVEMENT, remember that. Mistakes can be corrected even after you finish the lineart or coloring, it doesn't really matter.

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how much you struggle during the process, it won't affect the design one bit. It might just ruin your idea, actually.

Ever thought about 2D art? If not, give it a go. It's relatively easy and it might come in handy should you decide to move on to bigger things like... comics, doujinshi's etc.

Hmm...I'll try that then and thanks for the additional advice ^_^

There are lots of helpful tutorials online. Try searching "how to draw _____" on dA and YouTube.

Also, draw based on real life...from something in front of you, or from photographs. This is the best way to learn anatomy. And it's helpful in developing a style, too.

I'm working on that :P

Long, LONG ago I tried to draw my first Japanese-style comics. My early attempts were not very well and eventually I gave up my magnum opus. Now the world will never know my talent.  :umm:   :chuckle:

Now, seriously, I do not know what advices I would give... But comic-book writer and editor Jim Shooter gave several tips for beginners in his blog. I think they are pretty interesting and they may be helpful to you:

I'll check them out, thanks :D

Draw and draw often, and each drawing doesn't have to be a full blown masterpiece or anything. Sometimes some of your best work can come from doodles, I know that often happens in my case anyways. Also doddle while watching anime, especially if that's the stye you want to draw. Also look at other artists work to help you find your own style. I know this advice seems really simple, and it is, but believe me it really helps :D Good luck.

well, i guess it's time to stop being so lazy xD I'll try to draw more often then :) and most of my art comes from doodles xD nice advice, thanks :)

#16 Illnevergiveup3

Illnevergiveup3

My Brittney-Chan. The girl I love with all my heart and always w

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:winning the girl I love heart, making it to the NBA and taking care of my family.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

Since the 4th grade, I've always been into drawing, especially anime (usually Naruto OC's hehe). Although I've improved since that time, I still feel like I could do way better..and part of it to blame is on me being pure lazy at times...maybe I'm just naturally not a drawer or artist? I have so much to improve on and I have a deviantart but I feel like my drawings suck compared to others >.< its better on paper but on my tablet I usually spend a long time sketching things out before I continue on with something I see I want to draw

anyways, besides practicing everyday and studying anatomy, what is another way to get better at it?

well first you got to stop critiquing yourself and then you'll see that all those barriers will fall and you will draw in a way you never thought you could have before and plus you got to challenge yourself and draw stuff that you think is to hard to draw.

Superman_over_earth_500x400.jpg

I wish I could have the powers of Superman so I could save protect the world under God's will.

Always have the spirit and the guts to never ever give up no matter what.

#17 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:02 AM

well first you got to stop critiquing yourself and then you'll see that all those barriers will fall and you will draw in a way you never thought you could have before and plus you got to challenge yourself and draw stuff that you think is to hard to draw.

I've noticed that and that's a bad habit I have...I critique myself a lot actually...and im very self conscious too...almost a perfectionist..which is bad, but I'll take your advice :) and I'll try drawing things I think is impossible to draw as well, thank you c:

#18 Kaeta

Kaeta

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:narusaku!

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

Talking about myself you need to find sth which you really want to draw and which gives you feels so otp for example. Then you sketch. You'll get used pretty fast to a tabet but when sketching find a brush you're comfortable with, to me that's quite iimportant for the final result and yes it can be a messy sketch. Use different layers to create a cleaner sketch/lines or in sai there is a pretty easy way to do lineart. Which program do you use for drawing? Aand use references!:D I barely used and use them because I am lazy when it comes to that buut it helps especially at the beginning! Just like drawing tutorials! Really look at them there are a bunch of helpful ones in deviantart. And that's about it! Now you only need to draw draw and draw:) and don't give up !!:)

Ackermann'd

#19 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:13 AM

Talking about myself you need to find sth which you really want to draw and which gives you feels so otp for example. Then you sketch. You'll get used pretty fast to a tabet but when sketching find a brush you're comfortable with, to me that's quite iimportant for the final result and yes it can be a messy sketch. Use different layers to create a cleaner sketch/lines or in sai there is a pretty easy way to do lineart. Which program do you use for drawing? Aand use references! :D I barely used and use them because I am lazy when it comes to that buut it helps especially at the beginning! Just like drawing tutorials! Really look at them there are a bunch of helpful ones in deviantart. And that's about it! Now you only need to draw draw and draw:) and don't give up !!:)

I won't give up :D and I'm currently working on something right now. I use paint tool SAI and I just downloaded photoshop cs6, but right now I only use it to put a blur on some of my photos c: well only on 2 of my new photos now on. Right now, Im focusing on attack on titan, I even made my own OC to it, so im doing aot fanart and Im thinking of doing a aot and Naruto crossover fanfic, then when i get better at my skills I wanna do a comic on them :P it's gonna be interesting ^_^ as for drawing tutorials, I'm looking at a lot and trying them, I have female anatomy down, now I need male anatomy, and then muscles and then shading, etc and hands..especially hands D: haha I have a lot of work to do but I won't give up :D thank you for your advice ^-^

#20 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

Oh, one more tip, it's self-explanatory as hell!

Whenever you can't draw, don't struggle. You'll end up hitting yourself, I guarantee it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users