Japan is in a Recession

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

http://online.wsj.co...sion-1416182404

You know what that means?

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#2 KeikoxYusuke

KeikoxYusuke

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

No, not really... :/

narusaku_opening_12_by_toastywarrior-d5i

#3 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

The technical term means that the total output of GDP for the country is shrinking.

In a healthy growing country, the rate of population increase should be 1-2% per year.   So if there are 100 million people this year, there should be 101 million people next year.  (Because more people are being born than are dying, ideally.)  

Logically, the amount of inflation and the amount of economic activity should increase to match, no?  As people age and join the work force, and start needing a place to live and food to buy and stuff.   A healthy economy has about 2% inflation, and the GDP should grow 2-3% as well.

A recession means that the growth is absent.  It is not growing, it is shrinking.  

Recessions are bad news.  They can last for many years.  In practical terms, it means that there are going to be layoffs or not enough jobs for people, and that people won't have as much money to spend.

Japan suffered from a terrible recession throughout 1990-2000, so much so that it's called "the lost decade" by some people.  

So if Japan has officially entered a recession again, it's bad news. 

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#4 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Barack Oba- wait a minute

\

#5 KeikoxYusuke

KeikoxYusuke

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

The technical term means that the total output of GDP for the country is shrinking.

In a healthy growing country, the rate of population increase should be 1-2% per year.   So if there are 100 million people this year, there should be 101 million people next year.  (Because more people are being born than are dying, ideally.)  

Logically, the amount of inflation and the amount of economic activity should increase to match, no?  As people age and join the work force, and start needing a place to live and food to buy and stuff.   A healthy economy has about 2% inflation, and the GDP should grow 2-3% as well.

A recession means that the growth is absent.  It is not growing, it is shrinking.  

Recessions are bad news.  They can last for many years.  In practical terms, it means that there are going to be layoffs or not enough jobs for people, and that people won't have as much money to spend.

Japan suffered from a terrible recession throughout 1990-2000, so much so that it's called "the lost decade" by some people.  

well, thx for explaining it ...makes me sad though :(

narusaku_opening_12_by_toastywarrior-d5i

#6 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

One-child policy Japan version is coming

Edited by theunburnt, 17 November 2014 - 09:42 PM.

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

One-child policy Japan version is coming

Japan's problem is the opposite. It's an aging population with insufficient new births to support it's aging adults. Many of the developed nations are running into the problem, even the U.S.

#8 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Japan's problem is the opposite. It's an aging population with insufficient new births to support it's aging adults. Many of the developed nations are running into the problem, even the U.S.

Sorry, I read it superficially. 

Now that I remember... I actually knew this  :twitch: I'm not feeling good. What is happening to my brain? :argh:

Anyway, if my memory doesn't fail me this time...in Japan there are...publicy about it? Like boosting people to have more kids..."For the good of the country" and all...

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

#9 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:58 AM

I know it might be a harsh thing to say, but part of me isn't surprised. When I think of Japan when I was a kid and now I see a shadow of the country I remember admiring as a child. They were at the forefront of technology, Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi and Toshiba were the tech brands that were to buy, their games were so much better than the rest of the world, Even Manga and Animes had a wide variety of choice that was more widely accepted. Made in Japan was a mark of quality.

I see it now, and everyone buys LG or Samsung tech, Japanese Games are a niche market, with the former Giants of Capcom, Square Enix and Konami being reduced to one or two big franchise publishers. And Manga and Anime largely seems to be solely the same few storylines packaged in a different setting.

It feels like the rest of the world has caught up and continued marching forward doesn't feel like Japan has taken the same leaps. It's hard to see, for me Japan was almost a mythical place when I was a child, I hope they can recover from this.

iAnby7W.gif

#10 AaaaNinja

AaaaNinja

Aaaa!!!

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, 3D modeling, hermit crabs, pokemon, taekwondo, comics

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

Sorry, I read it superficially. 

Now that I remember... I actually knew this  :twitch: I'm not feeling good. What is happening to my brain? :argh:

Anyway, if my memory doesn't fail me this time...in Japan there are...publicy about it? Like boosting people to have more kids..."For the good of the country" and all...

Countries can also use immigration as a way to shift their population demographic.

#11 starlitestarbrite

starlitestarbrite

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

when chapter 699-700 came out I was litarally thinking" I bet there's an economy crisis going on, and the anime, manga businesses are struggling, and so they're using forced marketing advertising or something to get the NH/SS fans to buy their stuff and they get money in the process since those have the most fandom, and poularity LOL"

#12 AaaaNinja

AaaaNinja

Aaaa!!!

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, 3D modeling, hermit crabs, pokemon, taekwondo, comics

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

when chapter 699-700 came out I was litarally thinking" I bet there's an economy crisis going on, and the anime, manga businesses are struggling, and so they're using forced marketing advertising or something to get the NH/SS fans to buy their stuff and they get money in the process since those have the most fandom, and poularity LOL"

The movie industry tends to benefit from recessions.  In 2009 in the US theater attendance was up.  People were saying that they cancelled their trips to Disneyland and were taking their families to the movies instead.  It's a cheaper alternative.

Edited by AaaaNinja, 18 November 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#13 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

"In other news today, the terrible finale of the popular Naruto manga has caused a serious recession in Japan."

Hahah, I wish, but it would be funny.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#14 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

Has Japan's economy ever really recovered from that? I don't believe it has. It hasn't always been in recession, but it always seem to just kinda chug slowly along.

#15 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

i wonder why..

i have heard that working hours in japan are really long and even extend to weekends sometimes.. so is the aging population the issue..?

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#16 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Konami sure seems to be selling a lot of slot machines to Las Vegas.  They had some really awesome ones there.  If I was at all interested in slots, I'm sure I would have enjoyed using them.  (As it is, I played my complimentary $5 voucher on the penny slots last time I was there and then decided I was done. )

Square Enix, too.  The reason they had a big hit on their financials in 2013 was due to a change in laws around pachinko machines.  

And you're right, Japan never did really recover from the Lost Decade.  The boom times of the '80s are just a fond memory.  They've also had some very bad weather related luck - earthquakes and tsunamis cost a lot of money to deal with.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#17 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

Isn't this old news. Japan has been in a recession for a while now. Mostly due to a lack of inflation, as their prices have gone down.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#18 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Countries can also use immigration as a way to shift their population demographic.

And piss off the local populace if the country's people really don't like foreigners beyond tourism. Immigration doesn't solve everything, even if we're just talking about population-trend. Most immigrants go to countries with their families in tow; they're looking for jobs for their family most of the time, rather than just going it alone. That's a major drive for immigration, especially illegal immigration; protection and providing for a person's family is a powerful incentive to migrate.

That's been a major problem for many highly literate and educated societies. It's been shown that populations with low literacy are more apt to have more than two or three children, whilst literate populations choose to have only one or two max. This is due to a combination of obligations present in educated societies as well as the fact that highly-educated societies tend to have more women at work. Women at work (whether married or not) are much less prone to choose to have children, especially in such rough economic times as these; there are also cultural norms of course, visa viz the Japanese 'salary-man' lifestyle versus the new 'working woman' of Anglo societies.

#19 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

And piss off the local populace if the country's people really don't like foreigners beyond tourism. Immigration doesn't solve everything, even if we're just talking about population-trend. Most immigrants go to countries with their families in tow; they're looking for jobs for their family most of the time, rather than just going it alone. That's a major drive for immigration, especially illegal immigration; protection and providing for a person's family is a powerful incentive to migrate.

That's been a major problem for many highly literate and educated societies. It's been shown that populations with low literacy are more apt to have more than two or three children, whilst literate populations choose to have only one or two max. This is due to a combination of obligations present in educated societies as well as the fact that highly-educated societies tend to have more women at work. Women at work (whether married or not) are much less prone to choose to have children, especially in such rough economic times as these; there are also cultural norms of course, visa viz the Japanese 'salary-man' lifestyle versus the new 'working woman' of Anglo societies.

In short, the overall cost of having a child increases significantly. 

#20 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:34 PM

In short, the overall cost of having a child increases significantly. 

There's that too, yes. Anglocised society demands high-stakes form of child-care, which is also true as you look at other "Westernised" societies. Kindergarten, health-care, high-quality food, high-quality shelter, education, and so on. The list never ends; it's part of being in a a society that's trying to find out what to do with children as they grow up and one of the solutions is "DO EVERYTHING".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users