Close
Photo

Slug Sage Mode: Is Sakura a likely candidate?

Sakura Haruno Slug Sage Mode

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#21 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

The way I see it, Sakura has already perfected simple Slug Mode: the technique of hitting Naruto as a way of showing her deep feelings for him.  So why not Slug Sage Mode too?  :chuckle:   /silly

#22 Slextrem

Slextrem

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests in life and reading manga happens to be one of them. My favorite pairing is definitely NaruSaku.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

The way I see it, Sakura has already perfected simple Slug Mode: the technique of hitting Naruto as a way of showing her deep feelings for him.  So why not Slug Sage Mode too?  :chuckle:   /silly

I see what you did there. :lulz:

Edited by Slextrem, 02 September 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#23 redragon88

redragon88

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Oh, slug mode. I get it now. Clever bastard.

As for her actually getting the sage version, I really don't care either way. As long as she shows the full abilities of her seal I'm fine with whatever it is.

That seal needs to be unlocked at some point, and with it Sakura should do some nice action. Just like Tsunade did while showing off her auto-heal.

Sakura doesn't have to do precisely the same as Tsunade, but she should be shown being equally great or better. I don't mean better as in having superior power (although that would be welcome too), but better as in having a significant role given her main character status.

#24 Don-kun

Don-kun

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Interests:Music, Electronics, Driving car, Traveling and NaruSaku.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

@don kun
Fine I think, so far so good, btw where are you? Are you busy or something?

Things as changed a lot for me, now a days I don't even have time to read the Manga plus the minute for internet is 0.39 cents a minute.

If you're wondering where I'm then I'm working in a Royal Caribean Cruise.

#25 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

I will preface my post by saying that I'm totally biased and I would love for Sakura to get a sage mode, but I find it hard to believe that she will get it.

However, I do think that she could get it eventually based on what we know. The problems addressed by Atheck about her chakra capacity have reason. This does hold up whether or not SM is possible for her. Is the seal completely cut off from her regular chakra reserves? Is the chakra already too 'molded' to be combined with Natural chakra? We don't know. If the seal chakra is actually an extension of her body's natural reserves, then SM would be possible, but if it's just a storage area then it wouldn't be possible.

As for how she could get it when Orochimaru couldn't, I think that has to do with Orochimaru's self-modification. Perhaps all of his 'enhancements' actually hindered his ability to gather and incorporate natural chakra. Jiraiya wasn't shown to be stronger than Orochimaru, but he was able to do a crude form of SM. The one hold up to this is Kabuto, who also did modifications. We have no idea how extensive they were. We were only really told about Taka, Senju DNA shenanigans, and other Orochimaru-esque experiments iirc. Maybe he only did modifications that would allow him to gain SM whereas Orochimaru modified his body primarily to learn as many jutsu as possible and to live longer. This is all just speculation, but it could resolve how Sakura could be capable of SM where Orochimaru was not.

Taking all that into consideration, I think that it is unlikely that she will get it for a few reasons.

- She has been sidelined after getting the seal. If she had been included in the action more after her initial burst, then I would be more optimistic, but she has again been relegated to support. And I think that this makes sense. She has trained with Tsunade on how to fight, but because she has only just gained the ability to 'not die in battle' she has less experience than Naruto, Sasuke, and other offense oriented ninja. We see this in the battle with Chiyo against Sasori. She is not able to dodge Sasori by herself. Chiyo had to use her combat experience to help her there. I believe that Sakura has the ability to be a good offensive ninja, but she needs practice. SM might make up for her inexperience, but I think that'd be an asspull considering the level that Obito and Madara are on.

- Sasuke does not have sage mode. I find it hard to believe that Sakura would get sage mode if Sasuke did not. The primary conflict in the story is between Sasuke and Naruto. I don't think that Sakura would get such a game changing power-up before Sasuke got another power-up. Maybe in some sort of epilogue they will all have it and be neo-crystal-sannin.

- It would seem forced. Not only have we not been shown her training, but after Obito and Madara are defeated, there is only the fight between Naruto and Sasuke left. She will not take part in that. We weren't shown her training for the seal either, but a lot of people felt like that was a bit of an asspull so imagine the 'out-of-left-fieldness of suddenly having SM.

- I also think SM would deserve a really cool battle to debut in, but atm, she is healing and I don't see Kishi adding another fight to focus on because juggling writing all the kages, Naruto, and Sasuke is making the chapters drag a little as it is.

So in short, this is my opinion and interpretation mixed with me really wanting this for her. It may be possible, but it's unlikely that it will happen.

tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#26 Branden

Branden

The man who's going to save the world.

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

I doubt it, it would seem too contrived. What I think is more likely is Sakura combining the Yin seal with medical ninjutsu to do new and deadly things that we haven't seen before. Her precise chakra control and vast medical knowledge could lead to all sorts of different techniques now that she has the seal.

I'm still betting that the kyuubi chakra cloak is the only reason she was able to finish the seal during the war. It doesn't make sense otherwise unless it was just dumb luck. And if the chakra cloak hastened the process, the addition of the Kyuubi cloak a second time could mean that she may make even more progress beyond what Tsunade has taught her. A yin-yang seal perhaps? I'm not sure how science works in Naruto so correct me if I'm wrong.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

"This hat means a lot to me. Promise me you'll give it back someday...

when you've become a great pirate." -Shanks

#27 Atheck

Atheck

Ally of NaruSaku

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

The moderator/administrator said it best. I think Slug Sage Mode is still an amazing concept, one which I feel the manga could afford to go into more depth about. However, under the circumstances it may just not be feasible for Sakura. Although there is still the trend of the younger generations learning from the mistakes of their predecessors and taking that knowledge to refine their own abilities and overcome the constraints that prevented older shinobi from succeeding. Who knows, given Kishi's love for mythology it may be that Tsunade has some level of familiarity with slug senjutsu if "mastering slug magic" and her colleagues pursuing senjusu are any indications.  

It makes for interesting conversation either way. 

#28 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Sakura doesn't have to do precisely the same as Tsunade, but she should be shown being equally great or better. I don't mean better as in having superior power (although that would be welcome too), but better as in having a significant role given her main character status.

I really want to see Sakura having the ability to have her bottom half walk to her top half and reattach itself after being bisected.  I'm not sure why, I guess in an odd way it would relate back to her fight against Sasori with Lady Chiyo.

As for how she could get it when Orochimaru couldn't, I think that has to do with Orochimaru's self-modification. Perhaps all of his 'enhancements' actually hindered his ability to gather and incorporate natural chakra. Jiraiya wasn't shown to be stronger than Orochimaru, but he was able to do a crude form of SM. The one hold up to this is Kabuto, who also did modifications. We have no idea how extensive they were. We were only really told about Taka, Senju DNA shenanigans, and other Orochimaru-esque experiments iirc. Maybe he only did modifications that would allow him to gain SM whereas Orochimaru modified his body primarily to learn as many jutsu as possible and to live longer. This is all just speculation, but it could resolve how Sakura could be capable of SM where Orochimaru was not.

Wasn't Orochimaru unable to use sage mode because of the body he was using at the time?

I would like Sakura to be able to use sage mode, for several reason not the least of which being the fact that we haven't seen slug sage mode yet (unless Hashirama's is slug sage mode), but if I had to choose between sage mode, or an actual exploration of Sakura's genjutsu capabilities I'd prefer the latter since there has been development directly relating to Sakura in that regard.

#29 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

@morgaine
Why not both or maybe add her elemental ninjutsu, I always see that sakura is a true caster not a tai jutsu user.
Her display of power should be like kakashi and itachi minus tai jutsu. I believe kishi will give her ssm, the question is when will she get it? In this war arc or the next one.

#30 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

I just don't think that she'll get two power-ups aside from her released seal.  She got one power-up recently in that she now has full access to all her chakra, she'll get a power-up when her seal is released and we see the full capabilities of her seal, and I just don't expect her to get two more beyond that, I'm hoping for one more beyond her released seal and I don't even know that that'll happen.  I don't know that there is enough time for that.

Plus, I want Sakura to have her own thing.  At this point, even though other side characters have sage mode, it is Naruto's thing.  I'd rather Sakura's additional power-up (if she gets one) is her own thing, Naruto isn't a genjutsu type, and Sasuke has genjutsu capabilities because of his Sharingan, but he isn't a genjutsu type either.  I think the build up is there as opposed to sage mode (even though it's possible, and even though I do think someone will show us slug sage mode at some point before the end of the manga, there's no other reason to mention that slugs are from Shikkotsu Forest).

#31 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Wasn't Orochimaru unable to use sage mode because of the body he was using at the time?

That is what Kabuto said, but he could have also misunderstood why it wouldn't work. Orochimaru seems to have already done at least one soul transfer by the time he tried to go to Ryuichido. Maybe something doesn't work out with gathering natural chakra when a soul is transferred to a foreign body. (Kabuto is only shown putting some kind of drug cocktail into his own body. I don't think he ever did a soul transfer.)

Let's also not forget that we rarely see overwhelming strength from Orochimaru himself, he just knows a LOT of jutsu and he is extremely intelligent. I think that he borrows power from his modifications and the snakes for straight up strength attacks. His body usually always get 'killed' and then it's revealed that that was not his real body. Maybe Orochimaru did have a weak body to begin with and his strategies try to cover for that. I feel like in a lot of his fights, his evasive skill is his strength.

I just found the chapter where Kabuto talks about how Oro couldn't get SM. Kabuto actually couldn't do it perfectly either. He was at least able to train and do something, but he took on animal characteristics like Jiraiya in his imperfect SM. It's unclear whether "dragon sage mode" is even an actual thing or if Kabuto just named his transformation that to feel like he had surpassed Orochimaru.

Chapter 579

#32 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Kabuto has perfected the Snake Sage Mode. Orochimaru had an imperfect one, the whole 3 headed one if I am not mistaken. However, what Kabuto did in order to be able to train and acquire it is infuse himself with Juugo's DNA and Karin's and all the others.

2d617bda57e68a9871d0769988a82b4b93870803

Still rambling about Naruto/NaruSaku stuff on

https://chatte-georgiana.com

#33 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

But Itachi and Sasuke both called him an imperfect snake 'just like Orochimaru.' This could refer to his outlook on ninjutsu and life in general, but I thought that it also applied to sage mode technique.

Kabuto did a better job than Orochimaru because he didn't totally transform into a snake, but it still isn't perfect. At Myobokuzan, Fukasaku explained that imperfect forms lead to gaining animal characteristics (like Jiraiya). When Naruto was first learning, he almost turned into a frog a few times.

I suppose it's up for debate. I don't really see getting a definitive answer unless a data book talks about it.

#34 morgaine4

morgaine4

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

I assumed that when Orochimaru transfers into another body, he attains their strengths and their weaknesses.  So I figured that the reason he could achieve a usable version of Sage Mode was due to whatever limitations his new bodies offered him --perhaps the new body's lack of stamina, his inability to control chakra precisely enough in unfamiliar bodies for whatever reason (I assume it's odd to have a new body, just like it's often odd to live in a new how, one needs time to adjust to different hormones, different sized limbs etc, and depending on the rate at which Orochimaru used up each body, he might never have had the opportunity to adjust to each "current" body).  I could be totally off though, I usually am.

#35 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Saku-chan, thank you very much for summarizing my point.

Sakura's seal is an extension of her regular reserves, thus granting her the amount of chakra necessary to mold/draw in Natural energy. That is the point I was trying to get across. I believe that the seal works as an extension that can be activated to increase her chakra reserves anytime she wants to. Think of it as cable extensions. You want to jack up your PS3 to the electrical socket, but it's not long enough, so you add cable extensions for it to reach the socket.   

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#36 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Saku-chan, thank you very much for summarizing my point.

Sakura's seal is an extension of her regular reserves, thus granting her the amount of chakra necessary to mold/draw in Natural energy. That is the point I was trying to get across. I believe that the seal works as an extension that can be activated to increase her chakra reserves anytime she wants to. Think of it as cable extensions. You want to jack up your PS3 to the electrical socket, but it's not long enough, so you add cable extensions for it to reach the socket.   

Except the chakra in the seal is already molded as Ninjutsu chakra, not Senjutsu chakra, Also it is not how much chakra you have it's how much chakra you can make, it doesn't matter if Sakura saves up 20 years worth of chakra in her seal it still wouldn't allow her to enter Sage Mode, because it is already molded, it was explained during Naruto's Sage Mode training that Senjutsu chakra is made from Natural Energy, Physical Stamina, and Spiritual Energy, not Natural Energy and Chakra, adding Natural Energy to Chakra is like adding Suger to a cake that has already been baked.

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#37 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

But how do we know her chakra is molded?

#38 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

But how do we know her chakra is molded?

Because it is referred to as chakra not as Physical Stamnia and Spiritual Energy.

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#39 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Except the chakra in the seal is already molded as Ninjutsu chakra, not Senjutsu chakra, Also it is not how much chakra you have it's how much chakra you can make, it doesn't matter if Sakura saves up 20 years worth of chakra in her seal it still wouldn't allow her to enter Sage Mode, because it is already molded, it was explained during Naruto's Sage Mode training that Senjutsu chakra is made from Natural Energy, Physical Stamina, and Spiritual Energy, not Natural Energy and Chakra, adding Natural Energy to Chakra is like adding Suger to a cake that has already been baked.

Ok, you got me. I think the bolded is the right analogue for this debate. I'll be honest, it took me this long to actually understand this whole thing.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#40 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Because it is referred to as chakra not as Physical Stamnia and Spiritual Energy.

But chakra is made out of Physical Stamina and Spiritual Energy...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sakura, Haruno, Slug Sage Mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users