Close
Photo

The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Arslan Senki)

fantasy adventure action drama historical supernatural Hiromu Arakawa Japanese Novel Series manga anime

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

The Heroic Legend of Arslan

After having finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (you ought to watch it if you haven't done so yet, for real), I gained a lot of respect for the mangaka Hiromu Arakawa, the mangaka of FMAB. Naturally, I grew interested into this new anime called Arslan Senki that came out a little while ago. While the manga orientates after Arakawa's character designs, Arakawa is not credited with the story. In fact, the anime is based on a novel series from the 80s and has already once been adapted into a manga and six OVAs.

Brief Synopsis

In the prosperous kingdom of Pars lies the Royal Capital of Ecbatana, a city of splendor and wonder, ruled by the undefeated and fearsome King Andragoras. Arslan is the young and curious prince of Pars who, despite his best efforts, doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a proper king like his father.

At the age of 14, Arslan goes to his first battle and loses everything as the blood-soaked mist of war gives way to scorching flames, bringing him to face the demise of his once glorious kingdom. However, it is Arslan's destiny to be a ruler, and despite the trials that face him, he must now embark on a journey to reclaim his fallen kingdom.

(Source: Kodansha USA)

Novel Series

The novel, written by Yoshiki Tanaka, has been first published way back in 1986, and is still ongoing with 14 volumes (makes me wonder how the anime will end).

novel1.jpg

Manga

So, there are two mangas. The first one was drawn Chisato Nakamura in the nineties and covered 13 volumes; the second one is drawn by Hiromu Arakawa and has so far 3 volumes.

arslan_senki_3747.jpg?1408478688  149815.jpg

left: first manga (1991-1996)/right: second manga (2013-ongoing)

OVA

Since the first manga was very popular, six OVAs have been released from 1991-1995. The first two were apparently movies and were done by Studio Animate Film. The last four were half as long (each 30 min) and were done by Studio J.C. Staff. I've never watched the OVAs, but I'm sure a few others did as it has also been dubbed.

1420364896345.jpg

Anime(2015)

Currently, the 24-episode anime Arslan Senki produced by Studio Liden Films and Sanzigen is airing in Japan; so far, seven episodes have been released.

Arslan-Senki-Anime-Visual-2.jpg?resize=1So far, I've only watched the anime. Very enjoyable in my eyes, and I particularly love the cast. Anyone, who's a sucker for historical animes, should try this out.

Trailer

Edited by trang95, 18 May 2015 - 06:39 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#2 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

I'm a sucker for pretty much anything historical based, which is why things like this appeal to me so much.

#3 Mixer

Mixer

✨Unicorn✨

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

I saw you guys reblog it on Tumblr. 

Dunno if I'm gonna start it thorgh. It seems nice. 

Might start it after watching FMA.

tumblr_nsqg2qQqZ61utjwzwo1_500.gif

#4 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

I saw you guys reblog it on Tumblr. 

Dunno if I'm gonna start it thorgh. It seems nice. 

Might start it after watching FMA.

That has priority U_U

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me: Check out the manga Akatsuki no Yona sometime! You'll love it, I guarantee you! I was apparently able to convince AHK to read it, and he likes it now :chuckle:

Edited by trang95, 18 May 2015 - 06:50 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."

#5 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

I'm a sucker for pretty much anything historical based, which is why things like this appeal to me so much.

Akatsuki no Yona :chuckle: (Korean setting if I'm not mistaken).

Me, too ^_^

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#6 Mixer

Mixer

✨Unicorn✨

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

That has priority U_U

lolz I'll watch it after Gintama. 

#7 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

lolz I'll watch it after Gintama. 

Read my edited quote.

Wait, you're watching it?

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#8 Mixer

Mixer

✨Unicorn✨

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

That has priority U_U

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me: Check out the manga Akatsuki no Yona sometime! You'll love it, I guarantee you! I was apparently able to convince AHK to read it, and he likes it now :chuckle:

I really wanna read it :argh: But got no time... I started too many things these days XD

Read my edited quote.

Wait, you're watching it?

Yeah... but only season 1. And then I'm gonna read the manga.

Edited by NaruSakuftMixer, 18 May 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#9 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

I really wanna read it :argh: But got no time :ermm:

Yeah... but only season 1. And then I'm gonna read the manga.

Just read it when you feel like it. I love the drawing style of Akatsuki no Yona, and Yona (the female protagonist) is one of the best ones out there right now in my eyes.

Oh, I see.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#10 Mixer

Mixer

✨Unicorn✨

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

Just read it when you feel like it. I love the drawing style of Akatsuki no Yona, and Yona (the female protagonist) is one of the best ones out there right now in my eyes.

Oh, I see.

How many chapters are there? 

Yas more perfect female protagonist :argh:

#11 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

How many chapters are there? 

Yas more perfect female protagonist :argh:

So far 86 chapters have been officially translated (but I've caught up to the most recent chapter 107 thx to some fans who volunteered to translate it).

Edited by trang95, 18 May 2015 - 07:00 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#12 Mixer

Mixer

✨Unicorn✨

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

So far 86 chapters have been officially translated (but I've caught up to the most recent chapter 107 thx to some fans who volunteered to translate it).

:thumb:

I'll try it sometime.

#13 Maxximumhate

Maxximumhate

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Tokyo Ghoul, Gintama, Bleach, Noblesse and plenty others

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

Oh this one is my show for this season. Well this one and Blood Blockade Battlefront. E-married to Daryun already. His dexterity with the sword is rather... pleasing :pimp:

R6yd0D.jpg

#14 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

Oh this one is my show for this season. Well this one and Blood Blockade Battlefront. E-married to Daryun already. His dexterity with the sword is rather... pleasing :pimp:

Imao, all the guys are awesome in my eyes XD. First it was Daryun, then Narsus, then Grieve, and then Elam in last episode :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm watching Kekkai Senson, but I can't get into it for some reason :/ Like I know it's a good show, but I suppose it's not my thing. I'll finish it though.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#15 Maxximumhate

Maxximumhate

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

I've yet to see the last episode. Downloaded it today to watch tonight so no spoiling. They're all awesome indeed. But I can't wait to see Narsus in action hehehe. I love strategic people a lot.

Ah BBB is not for everyone, that's for certain. It's rather episodic in nature and the presentation and cuts leaves plenty of people confused lol. But the anime doesn't even care a bit about that and I like how unapologetic they are about it. I enjoy it a lot with its crazy up and downs. Reminds me Baccano in many ways and the Triggun references are awesome XD

R6yd0D.jpg

#16 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

I've yet to see the last episode. Downloaded it today to watch tonight so no spoiling. They're all awesome indeed. But I can't wait to see Narsus in action hehehe. I love strategic people a lot.

Ah BBB is not for everyone, that's for certain. It's rather episodic in nature and the presentation and cuts leaves plenty of people confused lol. But the anime doesn't even care a bit about that and I like how unapologetic they are about it. I enjoy it a lot with its crazy up and downs. Reminds me Baccano in many ways and the Triggun references are awesome XD

Uhhhh, I love,love, LOVE, Baccano! XD

Kekkai Sensen leaves me so confused that I feel like you have to read the manga to keep up with the anime. But besides that, I'm wondering why the added White into the anime... Did you notice that both White and Black have the same voice actress Rie Kugimiya (aka Kagura :chuckle: )

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#17 Maxximumhate

Maxximumhate

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

Uhhhh, I love,love, LOVE, Baccano! XD

Kekkai Sensen leaves me so confused that I feel like you have to read the manga to keep up with the anime. But besides that, I'm wondering why the added White into the anime... Did you notice that both White and Black have the same voice actress Rie Kugimiya (aka Kagura :chuckle: )

Kugimiya is a goddess :smug: Yeah from the moment we saw Black. Impossible not to put Kagura there.

Actually started watching because of the cast. Like Most of the seiyuus voice a character in Gintama (even One Piece!!) Hijikata, Shimpachi, Kagura, Sa-chan, Zura, Hattori (and Chopper from OP) And the characters are so crazy this is like a blessing.

Back to Arslan Senki though, I cannot wait for them to start their quest and for Gieve-Arlsan interactions. They're going to be interesting.

R6yd0D.jpg

#18 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

Kugimiya is a goddess :smug: Yeah from the moment we saw Black. Impossible not to put Kagura there.

Actually started watching because of the cast. Like Most of the seiyuus voice a character in Gintama (even One Piece!!) Hijikata, Shimpachi, Kagura, Sa-chan, Zura, Hattori (and Chopper from OP) And the characters are so crazy this is like a blessing.

Back to Arslan Senki though, I cannot wait for them to start their quest and for Gieve-Arlsan interactions. They're going to be interesting.

Falangies is a goddes :smug: Me ships Gieve and Falangies :chuckle: I'm looking forward to seeing Gieve interact with Arslan XD

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#19 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

With this new episode, I'm truly starting to see the potential this anime has.

Now that all the members are assembled, the real journey can start. And can I just say how much I love sexy goddess Farangis? Yes, I know, her entire attire is fanservice, but... I kind of like it. The creators don't zoom in on her boobs or anything like that- I think her way of dressing just shows how confident she is in her own body. And Arakawa said once that she likes drawing attractive ladies, so here we go :zaru:

Other than that, I really like seeing how mature Arslan behaves. He knows Kharlan does not hold any grudges against him specifically, so it was nice to see Arslan asking Farangis to sing a prayer for the men.

So Silvermask is Arslan's cousins, huh (if Arslan even is the the son of Andromegas, or whatever his father's name is).

I'll prob start checking out the manga soon. It's dong fairly well in Japan if you ask me.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#20 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

I'm really loving this anime. Now that all the 'introductions' to the characters are done, I think things are really going to start happening.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fantasy, adventure, action, drama, historical, supernatural, Hiromu Arakawa, Japanese Novel Series, manga, anime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users