1 reply to this topic

#1 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:07 AM

I decided to write this topic after talking with a new writer who Private Messaged me on Fanfiction.net, as well as another writer who found me on Facebook after reading my book. Both of these people liked my style, and they wanted to know how I came up with what they deemed as original ideas, and published, even though my writing skill at the time was...not really anything special.

Maybe this could help someone here, or someone who finds this topic randomly off Google or something.

Truth be told, if you want to get into something, you have to start somewhere. Being afraid of backlash or bad reviews is perfectly understandable, and it can be pretty nerve racking when you're releasing something for the first time. However, your work isn't going to do much good if you just keep it hidden in the drawer of your desk, and only show it to your family and/or best friends. A story is a message, and it's an important one. If one feels their work needs to be seen, be it a fiction or non-fiction novel, they'll have to publish it at one point or another. 

Now, there are all kinds of ways one can go about publishing a book or piece of literacy work. If one is extremely lucky, they'll find an actual editor who will put their work on the shelves of stores such as Walmart or other supermarket names in other countries. Others may have to self-publish their work, which can be an experience if the author chooses the wrong company.

The fact remains, though, that no matter what one writes, there will be some who bash the story. Of course, you'll run into trolls and other trouble makers on the internet, but there are people out there who may just not like your style, or they thought the story could've been better had you put a little more time into it. Always listen to these reviews because they'll help you strengthen as a writer, and improve on your flaws.

Every writer has his or her strengths and weaknesses. One writer may not give as much detail in the world that surrounds their characters, but writes excellent dialogue, while another writer may do the exact opposite. Everyone has their own writing style, and it's something that belongs to you and you alone. 

If you're writing a story, and you're really thinking about having it published, have some friends, some family members, and maybe a teacher or professor give it a read and get their honest opinions. When they talk to you about it, be sure you have them be blunt about what they read. What if what you wrote was just a big pile of trash, but they didn't want to hurt your feelings, and told you it was okay? Things aren't going to go well if your work manages to publish. 

Criticism can be hurtful, yes, but it's what makes one tone and develop their skills even further. The simple truth of writing is this: The more people you have look at your story, the more feed back you get back. More feed back means more criticism, and more criticism means finding and strengthening your weaknesses as a writer. If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn. And if you don't learn, you won't make it as a writer. 

If your writing skill isn't anything to brag about, don't make such a fuss over it. No one is perfect, and even the greatest of writers has trouble every now and again. Like any skill, your writing skill will improve with practice. The more you write, the better you'll become. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you'll never improve your skills if you just stare at the piece of paper or computer screen, and not write anything. 

#2 Hank DaCoach

Hank DaCoach

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

I agree , but to say a certain extent of course. I'm in favour of constructive criticism though , but not obviously not blind hate. In some cases , it can deflate a writer's drive for a particular story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users