BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

Ok given this months Boruto chapter controversy with regards to what they have done to Sadara's new look, I though it be interesting to start a discussion topic in regards to the designs the characters have in Naruto & Boruto over the 15+ years of this franchise. It can range form topics like favourite to least favourite designs, which timeline had the best designs, how the designs should of gone or what do you wish the character would of worn instead.

Edited by BlueStarSaber, 05 April 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#2 Frankie

Frankie

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

Part 1 definitely had the more interesting designs for the characters

#3 VoodooFX

VoodooFX

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Comics, Star Wars, Sci-fi, Computer Games, Vintage Computers, Science & Tech ... and Naruto :)

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

Don't know anything about Boruto chapter controversy and don't really care what designs they've changed there.

As for the past installments, I really loved the Shippuuden designs of Naruto and Sakura, where especially Sakura had been drawn really well in some of the panels.

Anyways, I think both of them translated really well from Part 1 to Part 2, with keeping most of their original, design wise, traits in tact. Sasuke, on the other hand wasn't so lucky with each iteration his design getting more worse than the last, with last iteration being by far the worst of any characters.

Naruto was worst in The Last era, with only slight improvement in Chapter 700 and beyond, but still a far cry from Part 1 & 2.

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we all push up flowers.

#4 Shadow1275

Shadow1275

Lone Wolf

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:I have lots of hobbies..

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Part 1 and early part 2 had great designs. Heck I usually don't like short haired women but Sakura's design in part 2 was really stunning, her eyes really sold it.

Design's not really a problem for Kishimoto tbh, I always thought his art was creative and at times beautiful. Even during the fights they could seem so visceral and gory that it was almost beautiful.

Story wise however.... :roll:

He Who is Brave is Free-Seneca

^I have a lightsaber your argument is invalid^

"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."

#5 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

I never liked Naruto's design. I thought it was alright when he was 12, but at 16 he should find something better than an orange jumpsuit.

I was ignorant. It got worse.

Always liked Sakura's design, except for the current and how SP drew her like a stickman

ナルサク

#6 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:36 PM

I loved both Part 1 & 2 designs, except Sasuke's original Part 2 outfit, where his shirt did a frickin y=x^2, it wasn't practical at all. His other shirt with the zipper in front was much better. And then there was his stupid poncho & lol.

Sakura's & Neji's design were my favorites. I loved that for Sakura, they floofed up her hair and kept her cheongsam design to her. So pretty  :love:

I'll forever grieve for Naruto's buzz-cut though. For real, why... He looks horribly tamed. And his eyebrows weren't made for that sort of haircut, c'mon.

Edit: Naruto's Kyuubi cloak/outfit/whatever is really awesome. Just the overwhelming power that comes with it... isn't.

Edited by lux, 04 April 2017 - 02:54 AM.

#7 VoodooFX

VoodooFX

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Comics, Star Wars, Sci-fi, Computer Games, Vintage Computers, Science & Tech ... and Naruto :)

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

I never liked Naruto's design. I thought it was alright when he was 12, but at 16 he should find something better than an orange jumpsuit.

Always liked Sakura's design, except for the current and how SP drew her like a stickman

Interestingly it's opposite with me, never really liked his 12yr jumpsuit, as it made Naruto look like a road worker.

But through the years the black-orange combo (as worn in Part2) really grew on me.

I'm actually sitting in a black-orange office/gaming chair, and own a mouse + mouse pad with aforementioned color scheme.

Sure jumpsuit ain't the best outfit, but given Naruto is (supposed) main character, and is featured prominently, I guess the artists needed a straight and simple lines in order to draw/animate him fast in order to meet the deadlines.

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we all push up flowers.

#8 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

Are you referring to the last episode

Don't know anything about Boruto chapter controversy and don't really care what designs they've changed there.

As for the past installments, I really loved the Shippuuden designs of Naruto and Sakura, where especially Sakura had been drawn really well in some of the panels.

Anyways, I think both of them translated really well from Part 1 to Part 2, with keeping most of their original, design wise, traits in tact. Sasuke, on the other hand wasn't so lucky with each iteration his design getting more worse than the last, with last iteration being by far the worst of any characters.

Naruto was worst in The Last era, with only slight improvement in Chapter 700 and beyond, but still a far cry from Part 1 & 2.

This https://radicallledw...ana-rinareblogs

Interestingly it's opposite with me, never really liked his 12yr jumpsuit, as it made Naruto look like a road worker.

But through the years the black-orange combo (as worn in Part2) really grew on me.

I'm actually sitting in a black-orange office/gaming chair, and own a mouse + mouse pad with aforementioned color scheme.

Sure jumpsuit ain't the best outfit, but given Naruto is (supposed) main character, and is featured prominently, I guess the artists needed a straight and simple lines in order to draw/animate him fast in order to meet the deadlines.

I have to admit I like the part 2 designs better as they all look more grown up (except Hinata)

#9 Moon_Girl

Moon_Girl

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:OTPs:
    NaruSaku - Naruto x Sakura (Naruto Series)
    Het Chrobin - Chrom x Robin♀ (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    Clerith - Cloud x Aerith (Final Fantasy VII Series)
    Demelith - Demetri x Byleth♀ (Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes)
    Phantom/Erik x Christine (Phantom of the Opera)
    Jintan x Menma (AnoHana)
    ZeLink - Link x Zelda (Legend of Zelda Series)

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

I think most people can agree that Naruto's haircut was one of the worst design choices. 

NaruSaku will always be better than crack and fan fiction

#10 VoodooFX

VoodooFX

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

I have to admit I like the part 2 designs better as they all look more grown up (except Hinata)

Damn, really didn't need to see that. Why not just draw her completely naked, while you're at it? And what's with the footwear? Are they even still ninjas?

#11 Shadow1275

Shadow1275

Lone Wolf

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:I have lots of hobbies..

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Are you referring to the last episode

Ugh, sick just sick. I know Japan allows sex with thirteen year olds in certain provinces (Though there is a ton of red tape in the way of it) But this is disgusting. She's 12 years old. 12 YEARS OLD.

And why the hell is she wearing stripper heel shoes??? How the hell will that help her in a fight???? I hated Tsunade's shoes in the original bc of how impractical it is to sprint around, jump, and spinkick in heels. At least Sakura's boots were functional. 

He Who is Brave is Free-Seneca

^I have a lightsaber your argument is invalid^

"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."

#12 totherpage95

totherpage95

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

I think most people can agree that Naruto's haircut was one of the worst design choices. 

i remember whenever i looked at it i wanted to cry

#13 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Defiantly shows why most shonen manga go for spiky hair to say the least, I wished he would look more like the gusty Ninja when her grew up https://calamitousin...gutsy-ninja.jpg

Damn, really didn't need to see that. Why not just draw her completely naked, while you're at it? And what's with the footwear? Are they even still ninjas?

Sorry. You should also see the personality they gave her they make her flit, asking if some dude is her type. Don't give any idea's I'm already dreading a bath house scene.

Ugh, sick just sick. I know Japan allows sex with thirteen year olds in certain provinces (Though there is a ton of red tape in the way of it) But this is disgusting. She's 12 years old. 12 YEARS OLD.

And why the hell is she wearing stripper heel shoes??? How the hell will that help her in a fight???? I hated Tsunade's shoes in the original bc of how impractical it is to sprint around, jump, and spinkick in heels. At least Sakura's boots were functional. 

It's like they forgotten that the majority of the world is not okay with stuff like that.

I think its a poor attempt to boost her sex appeal "yuk". I never did like high heels for female characters in battle manga kills the suspense in disbelief when they are running like the T-rex chase in Jurassic world

Edited by BlueStarSaber, 04 April 2017 - 10:06 PM.

#14 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

Sarada's new outfit actually makes me wonder how her fans are defending her on this, lol. Fanservice is written allllll over this child and it's just the beginning. And it really makes me angry that they did this to her (& I'm so glad that they didn't do this to Sakura; I woulda pissed on Kishimoto/SP and left the manga if they let that happen). Must be a societal normality in Japan, like Shadow1275 mentioned. But still...

#15 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

Sarada's new outfit actually makes me wonder how her fans are defending her on this, lol. Fanservice is written allllll over this child and it's just the beginning. And it really makes me angry that they did this to her (& I'm so glad that they didn't do this to Sakura; I woulda pissed on Kishimoto/SP and left the manga if they let that happen). Must be a societal normality in Japan, like Shadow1275 mentioned. But still...

I learned Japan doesn't have this kind of societal normality.

I think what they're doing is the contrary with Sakura when she was 12 and 16 years old. They knew there are fans not seeing Sakura attractive, so they are making Sarada have a very short dress with long heels, and leggings shown off to make these fans perceive her in an appealing way.

Makes us know that they really at least followed from time to time the internet with the Naruto fan-base. 

And I wonder if they do a time skip for when they get 16 years old, what will Sarada be wearing. Either the same kind of outfit or go more extreme. 

#16 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

I learned Japan doesn't have this kind of societal normality.

I think what they're doing is the contrary with Sakura when she was 12 and 16 years old. They knew there are fans not seeing Sakura attractive, so they are making Sarada have a very short dress with long heels, and leggings shown off to make these fans perceive her in an appealing way.

Makes us know that they really at least followed from time to time the internet with the Naruto fan-base. 

And I wonder if they do a time skip for when they get 16 years old, what will Sarada be wearing. Either the same kind of outfit or go more extreme. 

Yeah but I mean so early on? She's only 12. Personally I'd never let my kid in that, let alone me at that age even thinking this was a good idea. It's a little too much and exaggerated at that age.

Whatever works for them I guess. And she seems to be doing just find in dress with those heels, so not much I could say or do lol.

#17 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Yeah but I mean so early on? She's only 12. Personally I'd never let my kid in that, let alone me at that age even thinking this was a good idea. It's a little too much and exaggerated at that age.

Whatever works for them I guess. And she seems to be doing just find in dress with those heels, so not much I could say or do lol.

I don't think Kishimoto is really the supervisor and editor of Boruto. He wouldn't let that happen.

Jumping from tree to tree and fighting like she's wearing sandals :P

#18 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

I don't think Kishimoto is really the supervisor and editor of Boruto. He wouldn't let that happen.

Jumping from tree to tree and fighting like she's wearing sandals :P

Kishi's backbone is weaker than a soggy french fry, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone took over for him. He knows how to write guys and bromance and action, guns he should have stuck to throughout the years he was doing this.

Sarada's bangin out her latest Louboutins with her dress that she got half-off from Macy's, let her have her moment lmao

Edit: wow this kinda makes me wonder if they have brand name stuff down there since everything is weirdly modernized..

Edited by lux, 05 April 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#19 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Kishi's backbone is weaker than a soggy french fry, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone took over for him. He knows how to write guys and bromance and action, guns he should have stuck to throughout the years he was doing this.

Sarada's bangin out her latest Louboutins with her dress that she got half-off from Macy's, let her have her moment lmao

You're funny especially with words XD

I think he doesn't want to do anything important related to Boruto cause he said long before that he wanted to finish with the Naruto manga and stop there.

Good one XD Louboutins heels doesn't seem that cheap also. A pair of those heels is expensive as heck.

Edited by T XD, 05 April 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#20 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

You're funny especially with words XD

I think he doesn't want to do anything important related to Boruto cause he said long before that he wanted to finish with the Naruto manga and stop there.

Good one XD Louboutins heels doesn't seem that cheap also. A pair of those heels is expensive as heck.

Don't mind me, I'll just be forever pissed at this entire fiasco _(:3 」∠)_

U right. She prolly got a bootlegged version off the corner of the street from an old lady then gdiii

I kid. All power to her while her 5 seconds of fame lasts. We all have a Beyonce moment once in a while, it'll pass lmao

Edited by lux, 05 April 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naruto, naruto characters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users