• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#81 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hmm... I don't think this had been added:

They have been, but thank you, nonetheless.

So there is not misunderstandings: anyone can recommend a manga or anime, whether it has been added or not.

lol, no one mentioned Golden Boy yet?

I had heard about it but I have never watched it.

Another one that I didn't see on the list is Crayon Shin-chan.

Oh, I remember that! It was hilarious.

And one of my favorite anime growing up as a kid is a really obscure one (well, in the US anyway)... anyone ever heard of Dodge Danpei?

I heard about it and I actually watched several episodes, although I had forgotten about it for now. It was entertaining.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll add them to the list.

I know all 3 of them but only the last 1 is the one that I can remotely say that I like it. I think the manga was discontinued and I didn't know about the anime.

Wow. I didn't expect finding more people knew Dodge Danpei.

Ironically, I only knew the anime and I didn't know there was a Dodge Danpei manga.

Now, some random recommendations:

Genshi Shonen Ryu/Spear of Ryu --Click here to view--

The setting is a fictional, forgotten Prehistoric age where humans, dinosaurs and assorted primeval beasts cohabit on the planet.

When Ryu –the main character- is born, his tribe disowns him due to his color skin and tries sacrificing him to Shirano, a Tyrannosaurus. However he is saved by a monkey which raised him like her own son.

Sixteen years later, Ryu mets a girl named Ran who was sold to the tribe he belonged to. Ryu finds out that his mother left the tribe several years ago to find him… and his erstwhile tribe is NOT happy of seeing him again. In fact, they try to sacrifice him again, this time by burning him alive. However, the tribe is massacred by Shirano before they can kill him.

Thus, Ryu and Ran set out on a quest together to find his mother and Ran’s brother, Don, as they try surviving on a dangerous, primitive land, inhabited by dangerous monsters and humans may be just so dangerous like the prehistoric animals roaming over the landscape.

Genshi Shonen Ryu was created by Shotaro Ishinomori (one of the most important and most influential creators of manga, anime and tokusatsu series) in 1971, and it lasted twenty-two episodes full with action and drama.

Anime: Link

Kinnikuman is a wannabe superhero tries becoming more popular by fighting giant monsters. Fortunately he owns the weird and unexplainable power to grow to a giant size by eating garlic. Unfortunately he is a pervert, coward and clumsy idiot. However, he is willful and stubborn and refuses giving up despite his cowardice, and thus he is able to win his battles –and surviving- through sheer determination.

One day he meets Alexandria Meat, who explains in reality his name is Suguru Kinniku and he is an alien from the planet Kinniku, a homeworld renowned by turning out the greatest heroes in the universe… and being full of wrestlers. Kinnikuman is Kinniku’s crown prince, who through a bizarre –and I mean it- accident, got stranded on Earth when he was a baby.

Kin decides reclaiming his birthright, and after failing miserably and shamefully, manages reclaiming it by sheer luck. Though, his idiocy and clumsiness impressed nobody, so he must prove he is worthy of the throne. Thus, he is sent back to Earth along Meat –who becomes his trainer and sidekick- and enters into wrestling competitions to become a true hero and prove his worth.

Kinnikuman is a classic shonen manga began like a spoof of Ultraman-style superheroes and later evolved in a sports manga –where the fate of universe was decided through wrestling matches-. It is highly comedic at the beginning, but it turned slightly more serious as the story advanced.

It was created by Yudetamago (nickname by the duo of writer Yoshinori Nakai and artist Takashi Shimada) in 1979, and it lasted thirty-seven volumes. The anime was started in 1983 and it is 137-episodes-long.

Manga: Link
Anime: Link; Part 2

Hime-chan no Ribbon --Click here to view--

Himeko Nonohara is a cute fourteen-year old girl who is the biggest tomboy in her school, much to her regret. She would be a proper, feminine lady so she could approach to her crush, Hasekura.

One night she is approached by a girl who is a near-exact copy of herself… who is apparently able to hover in midair. That weird, unknown girl introduces herself like Princess Erika of the Magical Kingdom. She explains people in the Magical Kingdom has a counterpart in the human world, and that, in order to prove herself fit to be princess, she must give Himeko a magical item she has created. Himeko is allowed use that item for one year to determine if it is useful (and in that case Erika would inherit the crown).

Himeko agrees to it and is given a ribbon allows her transform in anybody for one hour. However, if she doesn’t dispel the incantation in time she will be stuck in that form forever. And she can’t reveal the secret of that ribbon or its origin to anybody or her memory will be wiped put in punishment.
However, one of his schoolmates, Daichi “he-is-not-my-boyfriend” Kobayashi finds out after saving them from a kidnapper. He and Pokota, Himeko’s “pet” –a stuffed animal which comes to life when Himeko is using the ribbon- try to assist her to protect her secret and keep her out of trouble.

Of course, both tasks prove themselves being arduously hard and soul-wearing.

Hime-chan no Ribbon was a magical girl shojo manga created in 1990 by Megumi Mizusawa, and it lasted ten volumes. It was adapted in an anime series in 1992 lasted sixty-one episodes.

Manga: Link
Anime: Link

Edited by Jenskott, 29 November 2011 - 10:13 AM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#82 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

I intended getting this post ready for my birthday but it was not possible. Oh, well...

When I think about it, most of 70’s SR anime shows still are widely remembered are shows Go Nagai created (like Mazinger) or was involved with (like Getter Robo or Gaiking), or shows Tomino created (like Gundam) or was involved with (like the Nagahama Trilogy series).

So I am going to go over Tomino shows mainly (the ones have not been recommended already, like Gundam series or Brain Powered), as well as talking about some other noteworthy mecha shows.

But first of all, let’s start with one of the two parents of the genre. I was not going to, but without him –and Astroboy- Mazinger, Getter Robo, Daimos, Gundam, Patlabor, Evangelion, Code Geass, Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann… would simply not exist.

Tetsujin 28-go/Gigantor --Click here to view--

1945. The Japanese army is developing a super-weapon like a last-ditch attempt to win the war. After twenty-seven failed prototypes, Dr. Kaneda finally completes a giant robot, led by a remote control. He names it Tetsujin 28-go (literally “Ironman 28”).

However, the war is already over, and Dr. Kaneda dies of heart failure shortly after completing his super weapon. Instead of becoming the army’s weapon, Tetsujin is given to Shotaro Kaneda, Dr. Kaneda’s ten-years –old son, who will use Tetsujin to put a stop to criminal activities and destroying evil robots.

Mitsuteru Yokoyama created Tetujin 28-go in 1953, shortly after Osamu Tezuka created Astroboy. The manga is ten-volumes-long and it spawned several anime series along the decades: in 1963 (again, shortly after Astroboy was adapted in anime. It was one of first anime aired in USA, but it was renamed “Gigantor” due to legal issues), 1980, 1992 and 2004. Live-Action and animated movies have been made, and the robot is still so popular in Japan the city of Kobe built a sixty-feet-tall statue of it in 2009.

Tetsujin 28-go is the first giant robot manga ever created. The story is simple, straightforward and optimistic due to a simple reason: Japan had lost WW II nine years earlier. The present was nightmarish and the future was uncertain. People needed entertainment, and series such like Astroboy and Tetusjin 28-go gave them entertainment and fun with the right amount of drama, showing heroes lived through hard times and endured hardships but overcame them with effort, hard work and a never-give-up mentality.

If you watch Tetsujin 28-go, don’t expect most of the tropes associated with humongous mecha shows. They were defined by Mazinger Z (and adopted, ripped off, modified, spoofed, averted, subverted or deconstructed by dozens of later shows), which this show predates by twenty years. So no hot-blooded, teen pilot sitting on the cockpit and screaming his/her lungs out to activate the rocket punch/chest blaster/eye beams/drill for you!

Manga:

Anime: Classic Series: Classic Series; 2004 Remake

The inhabitants of the planet Zela are facing destruction cause of a black hole menacing their homeworld and mutations horribly deforming the population (their emperor now wears his face upside down. And that is a minor mutation!). Struggling for saving themselves, the Zelans (known like the Dark Horror Army) invade Earth led by Prince Darius.

Opposing them is the crew of the dragon-shaped, semi-transformable carrier Daiku Maryu and the super robot Gaiking, piloted by former baseball star, Sanshiro Tsuwabuki, who was drafted because his latent psychic powers allowed him controlling Gaiking… and because all other potential candidates had been assassinated by Darius agents (and Sanshiro himself had been injured in an attack).

Gaiking was notable because: it was one of the few series happened in real places outside of Japan, and used real Astronomy (well, after a fashion); was the first super robot show featuring a mobile carrier to carry the battle machines; the Dayku Maryu and its support machines were dinosaur-shaped (and actually the head of Daiky Maryu detached itself off the carrier and formed Gaiking’s torso), and all of the alien robots and ships were fish-shaped.

Go Nagai was the original creator of Gaiking, but Toei Animation deliberately took him out of the credits to avoid paying him royalties. The show was created in 1976 and it lasted forty-four episodes. A new Gaiking anime was created in 2005, but it had nothing to see with the first show and rather it was a reimagining.

Curiously, a Live-Action movie is scheduled to be broadcast this year or the next.

Original Anime:

Remake: Link

This is the first mecha anime Tomino ever did:

After a slumber of twelve millennia, the Youma Empire awakens and gets ready to seize Earth. However, Raideen, the ancient protector of the lost continent of Mu, senses the coming of the evil and also awakens inside its pyramid.

Akira Hibiki, a young Japanese boy and captain of the soccer team of his high school, is alerted by a mysterious voice echoing in his head of the existence of the Youma Empire and is led to a pyramid. Then it is revealed he is the last descendant of Mu people, and therefore he is the only is able to pilot Raideen to save the Earth.

Akira accepts to help Raideen to protect the planet, and he is helped by Mari Sakurano, tsundere daughter of a notorious scientist, and his friends of the soccer club.

Yuusha Raideen (Raideen the Brave) was noteworthy for many reasons. It was one of the first transforming mechas (unlike Getter Robo, which was the first COMBINING mecha), and its toy was the first transforming toy. It also was the first giant robot was a sentient machine whose origins were mystic instead of scientific (such like Evangelion or RahXephon. In fact, according the latter’s director, he intentionally and heavily borrowed designs, powers and basic plots to make RahXephon). It was one of the first collaborations between Tomino and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (the next one would be Mobile Suit Gundam. A funny fact is Char Aznable is based on one Raideen character), and a clear predecessor of the Romance Robot Trilogy (Combattler, Voltes and Daimos).

The anime was aired in 1975 and lasted fifty episodes. A remake was made in 1996 (named Chouja Raideen) and in 2007 (named simply Reideen).

Yuusha Raideen: Link ; Link

Chouja Raideen: Link

Back in the seventies and eighties, Tomino used to alternate between making horribly depressing stories with a huge death toll and whimsical comedies. After making Zambot 3 (which was awfully depressing and VERY dark) he made Daitarn 3 (which was a gigantic parody of the genre).

Sozo Haran was a brilliant scientist was conducting research on Mars. He created a kind of cyborg –named Meganoid- capable to think for itself. Unfortunately, the Meganoids ran out of control, and killed Dr. Haran and his whole family, except for his sixteen-year-old son, Banjo.

Banjo escapes to Earth on a rocket with a super robot called Daitarn 3, built with special metals of Mars and powered by sun energy. Two years later he is living in a luxurious mansion and fighting together their allies –several of them beautiful women- against the Meganoids who aspire to improve the human race by turning all humans into cyborgs.

Daitarn 3 was a SR genre parody, and it is very noticeable: Daitarn is not merely huge but he is a GIANT giant robot (for a long while it was the biggest super robot). The docking-in sequence was very long on purpose. Banjo Haran is a James Bond spoof –believe it or not- and he is hot-blooded to the max, making dramatic speeches every time his robot transforms, and even telling his father’s ghost going away because he does not need his help to win. The Meganoid monsters had their own personality and frequently engaged in witty banter with Banjo. ..

It was created by Tomino in 1978 and it lasted forty episodes.

Daitarn 3: Episodes 1-24; Episodes 25-40

Straight after creating Mobile Suit Gundam, Tomino made this show. Ideon is considered the main influence for Evangelion (geez, Tomino even accused Anno of plagiarizing him) due to dealing with plenty of its issues, its mind-screwing ending and the high count of deaths (certainly Tomino topped himself –and everybody else- here).

The story begins in year 2300. Humankind has begun colonizing other planets.

A group of archeologists researching on the planet Solo discover a large spaceship, called the Solo ship, and the remains of the Ideon: three starfighters can be combined to form an insanely powerful, gigantic robot. Ship and robot are powered by Ide, a source of nearly infinite energy. For three months they worked to restore the giant vehicles unsuccessfully, when a humanoid civilization known as the clan Buff come across them.

And they want the energy Ide.

Several tragic misunderstandings later, a battle between the Earth colonists and the clan Buff begins. Ideon self-activates during the scuffle, and the colonists manage repelling the attack. However it is only the beginning of their troubles. The Terran colonists are forced to flee aboard the Solo ship, chased by the clan Buff who relentlessly and repeatedly attempts get their hands on the Ideon, employing increasingly devastating technologies and weaponry. At the same time, Ideon begins to reveal its devastating and terrific power, and the Solo crew starts realizing noticing it is sentient. Many people dies on both sides during the terrible battles, and the Solo crew ruins their relationships with Earth and all remaining Terran colonies, that want Ideon for themselves.

Towards the end of the series, all armies on the universe are ganging up against the Solo crew. Many members of the crew have –usually horribly- died, and the surviving heroes are feeling how the depression, angst and psychological pressure produced by so many battles and deaths are driving them beyond the limit of the despair, where they are beginning to wonder if they are not Ide energy’s playthings.

But more alarmingly, they notice the Ideon is displeased with the human race and its wars. Actually it is displeased enough to consider to wipe all of them off.

The series ended abruptly. Two movies were made afterwards: A Contact, which was a summary of the series with scenes clipped from the episodes; and Be Invoked, the real ending to the series.

I am hesitant about revealing details of the ending, but it is highly likely if you have heard of Ideon, you know this, and it is one of the instances where it is most blatantly obvious how it influenced Hideaki Anno.
At the end… --Click here to view--
everybody die. And I mean everybody. The universe –or a considerable chunk of it- is obliterated, and every sentient being in the cosmos die and ascend to a higher plane of existence, with mind-screwing scenes included.

However a certain one-shot manga, written by Tomino, seems implying the Universal Century Gundam universe is the Ideon universe reborn, and Juudau – ZZ Gundam main character- is Cosmo’s –Ideon main character- reincarnation.

The anime was made in 1980 and it lasted thirty-nine episodes, followed by two movies like it has been already told.

Generally Ideon generates mixed reactions among mecha fans: the general consensus seems being the show is average, and maybe somewhat dated, but Be Invoked absolutely must be watched if you want seeing how End of Evangelion was made in the old days.

Apparently, Tomino is considering making a remake.

Link: Anime; Movies

After such an intensely depressing show, Tomino was due to make something hilarious and light-hearted. He succeeded.

The setting is the planet Zola, a desert world inhabited by different human cultures. The two most important are: the Innocent, who master highly advanced science and technology, and live safety in domes; and the Civilians, who live outside the domes and are resilient and strong, but rely on the Innocents to provide them with whatever technology and machinery they need. That technology includes the walker machines (vaguely humanoid vehicles used for mining, trading, building and even combat) and ships they use to journey across the desert plains.

The Innocents use their contacts with Civilian groups to keep them at odds with each other and so maintain their positions of power. Likewise, they have decreed any crime committed among the Civilians is forgiven if the perpetrator isn’t brought to justice in three days.

Jiron Amos -whose parents were murdered by Breaker Timp Shaloon a week ago- is not about let such a silly thing like a time limit get between him and justice. He and his new friends, the Sand Rats bandits, find a very rare, combat-oriented, Xabungle-type walker machine and decide “liberating” it for achieving his goals.

Eventually, Jiron’s quest for punishing Timp evolves into a crusade against the Innocents rule caused this whole mess.
Xabungle is an utterly mad comedy, full with light-hearted humor and charming characters. It was created in 1982, and it lasted fifty episodes, spawning a movie.

Link: Anime

Once again, after creating a light-hearted comedy, Tomino made again a dark, grim anime where anyone can –and does- die (and it was a predecessor of Vision of Escaflowne):

Sho Zama, a Japanese motocross fan, falls in the world of Byston Well after a vehicular incident during a trick. Byston Well is a fantastic world, located in another dimension between land and sea, populated with dragons, fairies and other fantasy creatures, with kingdoms ruled by monarchs living on castles, armies of unicorn-riders armed with swords and bows, and humanoid, insect-like mechas named Aura Battlers.

Sho is taken in by Drake Luft, a local lord, and is taught to pilot an aura battler. His new life seems being going well, until he meets with Neal Given, leader of the local resistance, who shows him Drake is not quite a benevolent, kind ruler. Sho then decides joining the resistance, using his aura battler, named Dunbine, to fight alongside them.

Dunbine stood out in the time for its unique blend of robot and fantasy genres, setting battles between humanoid robots (which were designed with organic, very distinctive shapes) in a medieval landscape (fifteen years before Vision of Escaflowne), and for its explosive final.

The show was created in 1983, and it lasted forty-three episodes. It was followed by a three-part OVA series in 1988.

Link: Anime; OVA

The story takes place in the Pentagona System, a solar system made up of five planets. Oldna Poseidal, emperor from the planet Gastogal leads a campaign of conquest throughout the entire system, until he has seized all planets on Pentagona.

Finally he completes his conquest by defeating Kamon Walha V, leader of the Yama Clan and ruler of the planet Mizum. However, Kamon manages hiding his heir, Kamon Myroad, and the legendary robot, L-Gaim on the planet.

Fifteen years later, Kamon, who now names himself Daba, journeys over the wastelands of the planet Koam,as he leads a rebellion to free Pentagona from the Poseidal’s rule.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim was created in 1984, and it was fifty-four-episodes-long, spawning a 3-episodes-long OVA series. Mamoru Nagano –who later created The Five Star Stories- was the character and robot designer.

I was not going to mention the next one because I think it is a pretty minor series, but I decided adding it for a simple reason: It is a Reiji Matsumoto’s work.

Danguard Ace --Click here to view--

In the future, Earth has been nearly depleted from its natural resources, and humankind is seeking a new home on other planets, mainly in Promete, a planet beyond Pluto. However the first explorers are destroyed by betrayal, shattering the hopes of settling peacefully in that world.

Shortly after, an individual called Mr. Doppler leaves toward Promete and declares himself Chancillor of the planet. Believing only he is entitled to it, gathers an immense army using the planet’s sources, and forbids anyone from approaching the planet.

To regain control of Promete, the Earth governments build up a fleet of giant robots, but Doppler attacks before they can de deployed and he destroys all of except the robot named Danguard Ace. The forces sent to attack the base where it was being constructed were destroyed by Captain Dan, a mysterious masked man whose past is unknown, except he served for a while Doppler under mind control.

Takuma Ichimonji, son of the man who betrayed the Promete exploration team, becomes a member at Danguard’s base, hoping he could restore his father’s honor by fighting Doppler and his army.

Wakusei Robo Danguard Ace was created by Reiji Matsumoto in 1977. The anime lasted fifty-six episodes.

I have heard Matsumoto made Danguard Ace only because he needed the money, since he hated super robot shows (and even then he avoided drawing the robot if he could). I do not know if it is true; still, he made a good work.

Manga:

Other noteworthy mecha series not made by Tomino are:

In the year 2065 the world is divided in two countries that are at constant war over a device named the space elevator.
One of them decides to launch an attack to blow it up, using a dimensional super weapon: the Space/Time Oscillation Bomb. Kei Kutaragi and his friend Olson are assigned to the strike squad must escort to the engineers must arm the bomb on-site. However, the operation fails, and Kei, enraged, decides arming the bomb… with catastrophic consequences.

The weapon goes off, and he gets caught in the blast. Kei faints and later he wakes up in a strange land, where he is found by a humanoid race of traders named Emaan. At the beginning he thinks he is in another world, but later he is informed that planet IS Earth, but an Earth was born when the dimensional bomb exploded, sending space and time in chaos and squashing together the Earths of different alternate dimensions.

That world is populated with many kinds of races and clans. Two of those tribes (the Emaan and the militaristic clan named Chilam) are interested in Kei by some unknown reason, referring to him as Tokuiten (“Singularity Point”).

Kei joins the crew of the Emaan flying ship, Glomar, and they repair his damaged fighter, modifying it and naming it Orguss so Kei can defend himself and themselves of the assaults of the Chilam, who are determined to get their hands on Kei.

Choujikuu Seiki Orguss/Super Dimension Century Orguss was created in 1983 and it was the second show in the “Super Dimension” series (the first show was Macross and the third one was Southern Cross. In fact, Orguss was supposed to be part of Robotech, an amalgamation of three different anime shows -Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada- made for the American market). It lasted thirty-five episodes, and it got a sequel ten years later: the six-episodes-long, OVA series, Orguss 02.

Even though it is not so popular like Macross, Orguss was more imaginative, and it had nice character and mecha designs and cool aerial fights.

Link: Anime; OVA

A young and beautiful girl named Mia Alice wakes up in a space station. She is confused, frightened and she has forgotten all but her name. Then a strange voice tells her she has been abducted and transformed into a cyborg due to she wields powerful psionic skills, and she and other three people, alongside the super robot Dangaioh, will be sell out as soldiers to the higher bidder.

However, Mia doesn’t want being a super soldier or piloting a giant robot. She only wants being a normal girl. And she has not completely lost all of her memories. She remembers vague hints of her past life…

Soon she meets the remainder candidates to pilot Dangaioh: Roll Kuran, Pai Thunder and Lamba Nom. All of them have got their memories wiped out and wield great psionic powers (but Pai, but she is strong and aggressive enough to compensate for that lacking). The four of them decide to team up to attempt recovering their freedom and fighting their common enemy: their potential employer, Captain Garimoth.

Dangaioh was pretty cynical and little idealistic for a super robot show. The story is rather dark, the past lives of all characters come back to bite all of them on their collective butts, and the ending was bittersweet and very open-ended. Some of the best Anime-makers in the eighties worked on it (Toshihiro Hirano, Shoji Kawamori, Hideaki Anno, Masami Obari…) and it is pretty well-loved among older mecha fans.

The show was a three-part OVA series made in 1987. A sequel –Great Dangaioh- was made in 2001, but it flopped, lasting only thirteen episodes.

Link: OVA; Sequel

The year is 1997. Evangelion has brutally deconstructed the genre. But it has also revitalized it, bringing many classic robot shows back, and inspiring many new series. In the wake of all it, a show was made to reconstruct the genre, bringing back combining mechas and hot-blooded pilots driven by courage, friendship and sacrifice, screaming out their robot’s attacks.

Later years of the twentieth century. A married couple is driving in the middle of a snowstorm when they are stopped by a kind of mechanical lion which appears out of nowhere and delivers a baby to them before leaving. They are completely shocked but they take the child in, naming him Mamoru.

Eight years later Mamoru is on a class trip to a garbage island to learn the importance of recycling when a giant monster arises and starts trashing the city. Mamoru and his friends are trapped inside the beast, and their future seems dire when the army begins bombarding the behemoth… only to be blasted away with extreme prejudice.

All hope seems lost, when a red-haired, half-cybernetic young man (Guy Shishio) dashes in the battlefield to save them and stop the monster. Successively he tries to use his own augmented physical skills, a bullet train, a stealth bomber and a drill tank. When it doesn’t work, he leaps into the robotic giant lion from eight years ago, that morphs into a humanoid fighter. And when it is yet not enough to win, he fuses the four vehicles together to form Gaogaigar, King of Braves.

Next he delivers a rotund trashing to the giant monster, ripping its core from it with his bare hands, but right when he is about of smashing the glowing, pulsating orb, Mamoru begins glowing green, light wings spread from his back, and he flies towards Gaogaigar, begging him not destroy the core.

And that is only the summary of the first episode!

The beginning of the show followed the good, old monster-of-week formula, constantly introducing new characters, technology, plots or background details to keep the things fresh. Later, the plot ravels and Gai’s fights get harder and tougher, and he needs all his intelligence, expertise and guts just to survive each battle.

Yusha Oh Gaogaigar/King of Braves Gaogaigar is the seventh and final installment of the Brave Series (a Takara/Sunrise franchise of Super robot Series started in 1990). It is also the most popular one. If Evangelion was a deconstruction, Gaogaigar was a reconstruction: a good, classic-style super robot show with awesome fights and a pretty good plot. It is a solid and entertaining show.

It was made in 1997 and it was forty-nine-episodes-long. It got a six-episodes-long OVA sequel, Gogaigar Final, and it nearly got several sequels.

Link: Anime; OVA; Alternate Sequel

That's all for now.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#83 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hmm... I know I already mentioned Doraemon early in this thread but I guess just seeing the manga in mangafox makes me want to actually give it an actual review it deserves so.. here it goes:

Doraemon (ドラえもん Doraemon?) (also known in some overseas markets as Doraemon: Gadget Cat from the Future). is a Japanese manga series created by Fujiko F. Fujio which later became an anime series and an Asian franchise. The series is about an earless robotic cat named Doraemon, who travels back in time from the 22nd century to aid a schoolboy, Nobi Nobita.

If I am to be asked to give a brief summary of the story, it is how Doraemon pull out his (seemingly unlimited in variation or amount) gadgets from his four dimentional pocket to safe Nobita's arse from trouble, both figuratively (and in one chapter if I can remember correctly, literally... yeah, his ass came off). Another thing that Doraemon tried hard to do is to have Nobita to actually grow up and start being responsible, something that is way easier said than done since Nobita is apparently inherently Lazy, Unmotivated, Greedy, Selfish and Dumb to boot with his only saving grace is his unmatched marksmanship and occasional kindness (though when he is kind, he becomes jesus... yes, that kind). The manga and anime both tells the story of their day to day experience as well as their adventures (The longer ones are made into movies and special manga called Doraemon's great adventure / Daichouhen Doraemon which happens during summer holiday). Overtime, the bond between them comes gets closer into something closer to brotherly relationship than mere friendship.

The series was unfortunately ended prematurely without any specific ending due to the author duo broke up followed by the death of one of them due to cancer. However, there are several ending versions which are considered being the final ending of the series. I know some of the people here don't want to read the ending here so I'll just spoiler tag em:

Most of the endings ended with Doraemon leaving Nobita one way or another:
1: Because visitors from the future were causing too much trouble, the government in the 22nd Century passed a bill to ban time-travelling altogether, meaning Doraemon would have to return to his time era. He leaves Nobita.
2: Doraemon, for some reason, had to go back to the future but fakes a mechanical problem so that Nobita would let him go. Nobita believes him and promises to wait until Doraemon gets well. Realizing that Nobita can handle his departure, Doraemon tells the truth and Nobita accepts. Doraemon returns to the future.
3 (This 1 is considered canon and was reprinted in the manga, though this 1 wasn't written by the real author): Nobita again returns home after losing a fight against Gian. Doraemon then explains that he has to return. Nobita tries to have Doraemon stay but after talking it over with his parents, he accepts Doraemon's departure. They take a last walk in the park. After they split up, Nobita encounters Gian and gets into a fight again. After a long duel with Nobita trying to win at all costs so that Doraemon can leave without worries, Gian gave up (which gave Nobita the win) because no matter what, Nobita refuses to stay down. Doraemon finds Nobita passed out with a bloody mouth and takes him home. Sitting beside the sleeping Nobita, Doraemon returns to the future. This story was reprinted in the last chapter of the manga Book 6.

Although the series has stopped for decades, the character Doraemon is still very popular up to now, both in Japan and internationally that it is probably safe to say that the blue robot cat is one of the most iconic and recognized Japanese character in the world.

Another series that is also largely popular at nearly the same period as Sailor Moon as fellow Magical Girl Series, I'm not exactly sure if this series is already mentioned but I don't think I saw em in any of the pages of this thread (That or I just missed it....).

Card Captop Sakura / CCS / Cardcaptors --Click here to view--
Cardcaptor Sakura (カードキャプターさくら Kādokyaputā Sakura?), abbreviated as CCS and also known as Cardcaptors, is a Japanese shōjo manga series written and illustrated by the manga artist group Clamp. The manga was originally serialized monthly in Nakayoshi from the May 1996 until the June 2000 issue, and later published in 12 tankōbon volumes by Kodansha from November 1996 to July 2000. The story focuses on Sakura Kinomoto, an elementary school student who discovers that she possesses magical powers after accidentally freeing a set of magical cards from the book in which they had been sealed for years. She is then tasked with retrieving those cards in order to avoid an unknown catastrophe from befalling the world.

The series spans 2 seasons both in the manga and the anime, though the latter is recognizably longer due to the difference in the amount of the cards (19 in the manga, 52 in the anime... yeah, nearly triple....) and some stories are being stretched and pushed back. The anime also feature 2 movies which feature adventures which wasn't in the manga (I think they should be filler but somehow the watcher, especially those who follows the anime can also consider em canon... if that makes sense....)

The series are largely action with quite extensive amount of comedies thrown it and quite limited amount of outright romance but its there nonetheless... including one (at least one sided) yaoi relationship between Tomoya and Yukito.

Looking back now, I guess I can admit that this series was probably one of my guilty pleasure when I was in early middle school when it was aired in Indonesia, then again, at that time I was having trouble differentiating between shoujo and shounen action series.... (You try having 2 hours full anime hours with structure as follows: Saint Seiya, followed by Sailor Moon, CCS, then Rurouni Kenshin.... also limited knowledge about anime/manga genres... now you'll see why I was confused)

Edited by BlackLightning, 09 April 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#84 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Recently watched black butler.. the story characters are all cruel in their own ways and the story was good enough to make me tear  :cry:

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#85 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Was The Cockpit ever recommended? If not there it is.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#86 Rabbit

Rabbit

Pappaparapappapa

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Being peculiar. Travelling around the world. Shoujo manga. Obsessed with cats. Jelly beans. NicoNico. SPLATOON. Honeyworks.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Monster

I don't know if the manga and anime adaptation is popular but I'd definitely recommend this.

Shall we skate?❄❄

5a8024b87c1bc97de775cb6fa0967ff9.gif

#87 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I have a really great one everyone should watch!!!

Neo Angelique Abyss- The story takes place in a fictional world called Arcadia, where life-draining monsters called Thanatos plague the populace. The only ones who have the power to exterminate these creatures are Purifiers, but only a few exist. One day, Angelique, who is just a presumably normal girl attending school, is visited by Nyx, a rich gentleman as well as a Purifier, who created an organization of Purifiers dedicated to exterminating Thanatos. Nyx is interested in the potential power she possesses and invites her to join his organization, but she refuses since she wants to become a doctor, like her father. However, when her school is later attacked by Thanatos, she ends up activating her powers in her wanting to protect those in danger. After purifying the creature, she finds out she has a unique purifying power, and that she is the one that has been foretold in legends, the "Queen's Egg". It is then that her journey begins, and she becomes the only female Purifier in the world.

#88 AquariusNoHana

AquariusNoHana

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, NaruSaku, classic anime: Kishin Douji Zenki, Saint Seiya, Cyborg 009, Houshin Engi, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Sailor Moon. Favorite movies: Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Wreck it Ralph, Aliens, Van Helsing.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

I have a recommendation for Inuyasha and/or Dragonball fans...

Kishin Douji Zenki- An unknown force of great evil is on the move awakening the seeds of possession which have been scattered throughout the world. Once awakened, the seeds bring forth a great monster capable of much chaos and destruction. Enno Chiaki is the 55th generation child of Enno Ozunu - a great mage who lived in Shikigami-cho 1200 years past, who lives at the family shrine making ends meet by doing exorcisms and showing people about town. The family shrine however also holds the seal to one of the seeds of possession. Two of Karma's minions travel to Shikigami-cho in order to release the seal on the seed. Chiaki faced with a possession beast needs help and fast, if only she could break the seal holding Zenki - the family's protector demon and summon him forth.

Saint Seiya- Ages ago, the goddess Athena was served by fighters called Saints who channeled the power of the Cosmos within them. Now a youth named Seiya has trained to become a Saint himself by earning the mystical Cloth of Pegasus. He is joined by other Saints with Cloths of their own to fight for Athena. 

Slayers- Lina Inverse, a wandering sorceress and bandit-killer, joins forces with roving swordsman Gourry Gabriev in what's supposed to be a quick union of convenience. Instead, an artifact Lina "liberated" from a gang of thieves turns out to be the key to the resurrection of the demon lord Shabranigdo. Urged on by the mysterious Red Priest Rezo, the pair has no choice but to fight the dark lord and his servants, accumulating new allies and enemies along the way.

Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors)- Thousands of years ago, the evil emperor Talpa attempted to conquer the Earth. Defeated, he was banished to the Nether Realm and his armor was divided into 9 separate suits. Now, he has returned to conquer Earth, having reclaimed 4 of the suits. The other 5 are in the possesion of those who are the only hope of stopping him: The Ronin Warriors. 

My deviantart: http://akumaru13.deviantart.com

tumblr_nbrqrbch7P1s727oto3_400.gif

#89 TheFlash

TheFlash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:49 AM

Monster

I don't know if the manga and anime adaptation is popular but I'd definitely recommend this.

I have support on this. One of my favorites.

tumblr_n45nt0asf91t4e7bbo2_400.gif

#90 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

Rurouni Kenshin- Tsuiokuhen (also known as Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal): This is unanimously agreed on being one of the greatest OVA series to have ever been created. It might as well be considered the magnum opus of any chanbara anime (in other words: animes revolving around Samurais). Seriously, this is one of the most beautiful pieces of art that has ever come to cross my eyes. It is a masterpiece, and I'm saying this while I haven't even seen or watched the original series! From the imagery to the gore to the soundtrack- everything, just everything, is perfect. Granted, it would help to have some prior knowledge of the Meiji Era in Japan (I'm thanking Gintama for knowing some of the names in the anime), and it can get confusing. So a rewatch might be needed for those who have never seen Rurouni Kenshin before. Well, I've rewatched it two days ago with my father, and I've realized how many things I've missed out, but that just made me fall in love with this OVA series even more. I recommend this to everyone (lots of gore though). Here's a trailer:

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#91 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

Rurouni Kenshin- Tsuiokuhen (also known as Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal): This is unanimously agreed on being one of the greatest OVA series to have ever been created. It might as well be considered the magnum opus of any chanbara anime (in other words: animes revolving around Samurais). Seriously, this is one of the most beautiful pieces of art that has ever come to cross my eyes. It is a masterpiece, and I'm saying this while I haven't even seen or watched the original series! From the imagery to the gore to the soundtrack- everything, just everything, is perfect. Granted, it would help to have some prior knowledge of the Meiji Era in Japan (I'm thanking Gintama for knowing some of the names in the anime), and it can get confusing. So a rewatch might be needed for those who have never seen Rurouni Kenshin before. Well, I've rewatched it two days ago with my father, and I've realized how many things I've missed out, but that just made me fall in love with this OVA series even more. I recommend this to everyone (lots of gore though). Here's a trailer:

I click on this by accident but I saw this and you just made me so happy...I adore this ova so much

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

#92 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

I click on this by accident but I saw this and you just made me so happy...I adore this ova so much

Omg, yes!!!! I adore this OVA to death. Could rewatch it tons of times and would never get sick of it.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."

#93 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

Omg, yes!!!! I adore this OVA to death. Could rewatch it tons of times and would never get sick of it.

Right?!!!! I love both OVAs, made me so sad at the end but it was done in a fantastic way! Tomoe was a great character for Kenshin....I still love Karou but Tomoe had me lol

Joui Four

#94 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

Right?!!!! I love both OVAs, made me so sad at the end but it was done in a fantastic way! Tomoe was a great character for Kenshin....I still love Karou but Tomoe had me lol

I always here mixed comments about the second OVA series. What's up with that?

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#95 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

I always here mixed comments about the second OVA series. What's up with that?

Really? I thought it was well done...I didn't know there were mixed reviews...like how I didn't know people disliked the pokemon (first) and digimon movie...I like both xD

Joui Four

#96 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

Really? I thought it was well done...I didn't know there were mixed reviews...like how I didn't know people disliked the pokemon (first) and digimon movie...I like both xD

I've never watched the original anime, so I'm just basing this of other people's reactions. To make it short: People hated how it ended. They thought it was unfair after everything he had to go. Apparently even the mangaka hated the OVA...

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#97 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

I've never watched the original anime, so I'm just basing this of other people's reactions. To make it short: People hated how it ended. They thought it was unfair after everything he had to go. Apparently even the mangaka hated the OVA...

I'd hate it too if my character, who went through a lot of stuff and I wanted to have a happy ending.

Spoiler

Edited by Gaara's hair, 03 September 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#98 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

I'd hate it too if my character, who went through a lot of stuff and I wanted to have a happy ending, was given more sadness and death by disease :(

I understand. Naruto and Sakura also went through the "character development assasination" disease, and look what became of them.

Is the manga of Rurouni Kenshin good?

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#99 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:13 PM

I understand. Naruto and Sakura also went through the "character development assasination" disease, and look what became of them.

Is the manga of Rurouni Kenshin good?

Yes, it is! My little brother, after much convincing, convinced me to read it. I like it, but I don't know about you. You're strange  :hehehe:

#100 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:34 PM

Yes, it is! My little brother, after much convincing, convinced me to read it. I like it, but I don't know about you. You're strange  :hehehe:

Not really sure how to describe it, but I don't like the "typical" shounen that just tries to be "cool" by doing powerups (gear 4 in OP; Meliodas being incredibly strong in Nanatsu no Taizai) and fighting. As Pix once said: I don't like it if it's too "shounen" like. That's why I have not started Fairy Tail yet, can't bring myself to watch Bleach, and for some reason am still on a hiatus with One Piece (after having praised the heck out of it last year). That's a horrible way to describe how I feel about shounen.

I feel like I will like Rurouni Kenshin though. I like samurai themes :D

How am I strange :hm:

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users